Author Topic: Klutz64 Stumbles Through Persona 3 FES

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Klutz64 Stumbles Through Persona 3 FES
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
>Final Fantasy 8 could really use a lesson from this game in how to connect multiple main characters' pasts without making it terrible. Rather than having all the characters share the same moment in time and just not remembering for some BS reason, all the characters are connected to each other through various moments in their past, and it's not always the characters themselves that share the connection. I really like that.

While FF8 doesn't set that bar very high, I fully agree.  In general the SMT/P series has done a great job creating 'groups' of main characters.

> The full moon missions never really quite live up to that first one on the monorail. After Fuuka joins the team, the missions themselves are basically "Go to location, kill shadow" and that's it. The excitement is supposed to come from the events happening around the mission itself.

Again, I don't remember much about the game, but for some reason this feels spot on.  I remember being excited for moon missions... then not being too excited for them.

> I don't think any Persona game has really bothered trying to put any kind of explanation as to why only Persona users can defeat shadows. It's made even stranger by the fact that it's implied Koromaru defeats a shadow without his Persona (otherwise why give him an Evoker-type device if he clearly can use a Persona without one) and this translates clearly to battle where basic physical attacks from Persona users can be used to defeat shadows the same as the Persona's skills.

Igor's pretty tight-lipped about this kind of stuff, along with his legion of blue velvet and vogue models.  Is it more that the public doesn't do anything?  Do persona-peeps have something special in the DNA?  IIRC Midnight Hour sends most people to sleep in a coffin, so they're doing nothing almost involuntarily.

> Spent most of my Vacation finishing up the Online Game Social Link. Was happy I caught on to what was going on after just the second event, but the ending itself was just as abrupt and lackluster as most of the other Social Links in P3.

The irony of developing "social links" while sitting inside and playing games was never lost on me.  As is you saying you spending time during an in-game vacation to play online games almost sounds perfect. xD

I sorta felt like the Social Links just dragged out too much; less would have been more, the last chapter of a social link feeling more of an epilogue.  Also, since most of the problems were merely depicted through spoken dialogue, they only got so interesting and usually meant you were a sounding board for people's problems than actually seeing anything interesting. 

Credit where it's due though, Persona is chock-filled with events it's quite impressive anyways, even if they aren't all an engrossing series of stories.  I guess it's somewhat realistic that way, and it might not be best for a videogame, but the amount of 'reality' injected into Persona's day time is....kind of part of the appeal, I think.

I'd actually love to hear your take on the characters, I get bits and pieces from reading this but you definitely have strong opinions and even though I don't remember much, this is really making me want to play it again.

Plus I totally have a crush on the female P3 MC design.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 03:38:04 PM »

I'd actually love to hear your take on the characters, I get bits and pieces from reading this but you definitely have strong opinions and even though I don't remember much, this is really making me want to play it again.

Plus I totally have a crush on the female P3 MC design.

I'll take that into account for future posts. You'll probably really like September's post where I get to gush about the CUTEST RELATIONSHIP IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY!!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
I always saw Persona 2: Innocent Sin as what FF8 wanted to be.  It had a whole thing connecting the characters as children and them not quite realizing who they were when they were older, using a simple but effective plot mechanic. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »
Sorry for the hiatus folks!

September
Apathy Syndrome Charity Drive

- Shinjiro time! I swear his design sheet had just a single word on it: "cool." Bit of an intimidating loner? Check. Bit of an ass-kicker? Check. Has a softer side when you "get to know him?" Check.

WAIT A MINUTE
>>Uses violence to deal with troublemakers and gets mistaken as a troublemaker himself because of it.
>>Has an anti-social attitude in most situations.
>>Has an incredible talent (cooking) that he keeps hidden because he thinks it makes him look weak.
KANJI IS JUST SHINJIRO 2.0!!

(And Kanji + Shinjiro = Beat)

- I just realized that in Tartarus and on missions, Ken wears a Gekkoukan jacket. Why? Even Aigis, who attends Gekkou High goes into Tartarus with her standard appearance. Whatever, Ken's a sociopath anyway (which we'll discuss more next week)

Somewhere in an alternate universe:
Mitsuru: Where is Iori!? Doesn't he know we have a mission tonight!
Yukari: Oh, that Stupei! He must be trying to catch that Risette concert at the Escapade!
(I like to think that Rise was among The Lost for the remainder of September, and the experience had a permanent effect on her brain)

Now the moment I promised!
LET'S TALK JUNPEI & CHIDORI
- I don't care how cliche it is, I think Chidori's 'It was only supposed to be a trap but I kinda fell for you anyway' thing is adorable as hell.
- The two are perfect for each other. Here are two Persona users who feel like they're completely worthless without their Persona, then as Chidori is at her absolute lowest along comes someone who, regardless of her willingness to admit it, understands exactly how she feels.
- Lovesick Junpei is brilliant! Absolutely helped by the fact that he acts like such a player but clearly doesn't have a single 'womanizer' bone in his body and most of his knowledge of romance seems to come straight from pop culture.
- Whenever Junpei starts doting over Chidori, I want to be embarrassed for him ,but it's just too damn cute.

Just... 100% my favorite couple in a video game.

Also, Chidori's VA can go ahead and narrate my life for me in that voice.

~~~~~~TYPHOOOOOOOOOOOON~~~~~~

Thank God, right? It's about time Port Island got some damn rain. I know it was just a gameplay mechanic in Persona 4, but I felt the addition of weather really made Inaba feel a bit more real. I suppose we could just assume it was raining every week during exams?

Actually I'd love to hear some commentary from the developers on that whole odd weekend. Typhoon with no plot relevance comes in to cancel the Culture Festival, and then the protagonist gets sick and sleeps through the weekend, again with no plot relevance. There has to be some kind of design shortcut involved with deciding to throw that in.

- This month's machine recordings were the absolute worst, especially Mitsuru's which just drives home the fact she's a culturally dead rich girl. Honestly, sometimes her character is so overdone that she comes across like Scooby Doo's Daphne.

Lastly, just a reminder that starting next month posts are going to be spoiler heavy. Not that I've been holding back spoilers so far, just the plot obviously really opens up in October.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:05:05 PM by Klutz64 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
I apologize for this taking so long. Moving sucks.... ... ...and Rocket League is kind of awesome.

OCTOBER
What!? ...Your Persona is Evolving!

>Another full moon, another easy boss battle. Though it did manage to kill me the first time at the very end thanks to one of those "Fuck You" roulette that Fortune uses near the end of the battle. Second try I managed to knock it down and finish it off before it even had a chance to use them.

> I'm astonished I had forgotten about Shinjiro's death. Not even a momentary lapse of memory, it had completely vanished from my memory of the game. In a way it was nice because the scene genuinely came as a surprise to me.  This was literally what was going on in my head during the scene:
    "Wow, I forgot Strega gets involved here."
    "The group can get here and interject at any time."
    "Well good. For a minute there, I thought I had misremembered--"
    "Wait. Wait! What's going on. Why don't I remember--"
    "WHAAAAT!? But that's not-- He doesn't--- Is he really--"
    "Holy shit! How did I forget that!?"

> It is a weird death that probably doesn't have as much of an emotional impact as the creators probably wanted. I mean, Shinji is no Aeris. He's just a side character with no story beyond being mysterious and having some connection with Akihiko until about a month before he kicks the bucket, and even then doesn't have much of a contribution beyond motivating Ken into psychopath mode.

> Ken's emotional flip-flopping before, during, and after the event really is kind of disturbing. Then again, most things about Ken are disturbing when he shares an uncanny resemblance to the Big Boy restaurant mascot. But honestly, some of the things he says just make my jaw drop. For one, I don't think suicidal thoughts are a normal part of grief, most definitely not for a grade schooler. Kid's just messed up.

> Month is not conducive to exploring Tartarus, that's for sure. Luckily at this point I can get to the barrier on the very first visit and then just spend the rest of the time grinding for levels and yen. But I'm a little behind now because I never ran into the Request Katana for this particular area. I'll have to go back when I've gained a few levels and can just run through the floors without any encounters.

> Finished more social links, including:
     Tanaka: "Hi! I'm a douchey Japanese businessman. Would you also like to be a douchey Japanese businessman? You shouldn't be a douchey Japanese businessman." The end.
     Chihiro: Glad I did this one. Probably the second most compelling Social Link in the game, going in a totally different direction than it initially seems to.
     Sports Team: "Ow my knee! It's okay, I'll ignore it. No I won't." The end.

> Gah! Why doesn't anyone go to the principal to report that Edogawa is teaching utter bullshit to the students? Why is the school medic even substituting at all? I do like Atlus' clever little back-patting though:
Code: [Select]
When talking about summoning magic, he mentions you can see it a lot in books, movies, and "better video games."
> "Fuck you, Mitsuru! What is this, a deck of cards!? Narukami's uncle gives him cash for doing well on exams. C-A-S-H!!"

By the way, I haven't played Pokemon in forever, so if my reference in the subtitle is off, please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:37:58 PM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 02:31:56 AM »
I apologize for this taking so long. Moving sucks.... ... ...and Rocket League is kind of awesome.

OCTOBER
What!? ...Your Persona is Evolving!

>Another full moon, another easy boss battle. Though it did manage to kill me the first time at the very end thanks to one of those "Fuck You" roulette that Fortune uses near the end of the battle. Second try I managed to knock it down and finish it off before it even had a chance to use them.

> I'm astonished I had forgotten about Shinjiro's death. Not even a momentary lapse of memory, it had completely vanished from my memory of the game. In a way it was nice because the scene genuinely came as a surprise to me.  This was literally what was going on in my head during the scene:
    "Wow, I forgot Strega gets involved here."
    "The group can get here and interject at any time."
    "Well good. For a minute there, I thought I had misremembered--"
    "Wait. Wait! What's going on. Why don't I remember--"
    "WHAAAAT!? But that's not-- He doesn't--- Is he really--"
    "Holy shit! How did I forget that!?"

> It is a weird death that probably doesn't have as much of an emotional impact as the creators probably wanted. I mean, Shinji is no Aeris. He's just a side character with no story beyond being mysterious and having some connection with Akihiko until about a month before he kicks the bucket, and even then doesn't have much of a contribution beyond motivating Ken into psychopath mode.

> Ken's emotional flip-flopping before, during, and after the event really is kind of disturbing. Then again, most things about Ken are disturbing when he shares an uncanny resemblance to the Big Boy restaurant mascot. But honestly, some of the things he says just make my jaw drop. For one, I don't think suicidal thoughts are a normal part of grief, most definitely not for a grade schooler. Kid's just messed up.

> Month is not conducive to exploring Tartarus, that's for sure. Luckily at this point I can get to the barrier on the very first visit and then just spend the rest of the time grinding for levels and yen. But I'm a little behind now because I never ran into the Request Katana for this particular area. I'll have to go back when I've gained a few levels and can just run through the floors without any encounters.

> Finished more social links, including:
     Tanaka: "Hi! I'm a douchey Japanese businessman. Would you also like to be a douchey Japanese businessman? You shouldn't be a douchey Japanese businessman." The end.
     Chihiro: Glad I did this one. Probably the second most compelling Social Link in the game, going in a totally different direction than it initially seems to.
     Sports Team: "Ow my knee! It's okay, I'll ignore it. No I won't." The end.

> Gah! Why doesn't anyone go to the principal to report that Edogawa is teaching utter bullshit to the students? Why is the school medic even substituting at all? I do like Atlus' clever little back-patting though:
When talking about summoning magic, he mentions you can see it a lot in books, movies, and "better video games."
> "Fuck you, Mitsuru! What is this, a deck of cards!? Narukami's uncle gives him cash for doing well on exams. C-A-S-H!!"

By the way, I haven't played Pokemon in forever, so if my reference in the subtitle is off, please let me know.

All the best during the move.

Yeah, I remember liking Ken's design and Persona a whole lot when I first saw him.  I'm oddly a sucker for an orange/yellow colour scheme (it's rarely used in favour of the red/blue styles instead and it's so brilliant looking...!!), plus he looked surprisingly mature and confident.  But yeah, he's....so goddamn weird and my initial impressions were quite wrong.  He kinda killed what I liked about him since I didn't really get the idea they were going with him.  I mean, it sucks that his mum's dead, but do young kids really dance around the idea of suicide or should Freud be psychoanalyzing this young man?

My memory of the game is fuzzy, but it's odd you're able to capture a lot of the feelings I distinctly remember having.  Indeed, Shinji felt like a critical B-plot, or the "warm-up" before the big finale starts gearing up... but he's kinda forgotten.  I remember my ears perking up when I heard Shinji was part of the female protagonists path and I thought that was a crazy good idea and made me wanna pick up the game to take on a new route for the game (and, generally, just to replay the classic title). Bah, maybe one day.

In general while I loved the character drama in Persona 3, I feel like only half the cast actually felt like real students you would actually see.  Akihiko feels more like an adult, Mitsuru might as well be a 35 year old CEO, Ken clearly needs to be heavily medicated on some cocktail of neurotransmitters, and Aigis (as much as I adore almost everthing about her) is a complicated femme-bot ushered into an already 'out there' storyline.  I guess I feel better about the story when I don't think too hard on it, for the most part I love when RPGs try and, in this case and a number of others, succeed in using a real world setting.  I do think part of that is the sort of complicated with how the day structure works in the game to keep creating unique events and making a "realistic" grieving period for characters and how they respond... so, I guess i'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

The rest though: Yukari was a good snobby/sweet girly-girl who's popular in highschool, Junpei plays "the bff" very well, Fuuka works well as the bullied girl who dudn't deserve it, and....yeah.  I believe Persona 4 hit an altogether 'tighter' cast that generally felt like they worked together better.

Anyways, my favorite character is Koromaru, I always made sure to talk to him.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »
A lot of people criticize the cast of Persona 4 because they were a bunch of complete morons. But I feel like those are people who don't want to admit they were complete morons in high school. Because they were. We all were. To your point, they felt a lot more like a group of teenagers than the cast of Persona 3.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 09:56:50 AM »

You mean the A for Awesome roulette?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIuB1okXLjM

=)

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
A lot of people criticize the cast of Persona 4 because they were a bunch of complete morons. But I feel like those are people who don't want to admit they were complete morons in high school. Because they were. We all were. To your point, they felt a lot more like a group of teenagers than the cast of Persona 3.

If 30 year old Josh, met 18 year old Josh, I would have to be restrained from repeatedly punching myself in the face for being so stupid.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »
+1 on the fact that Persona 4's main cast felt more like legit teenagers.  That's why Junpei was my favorite character in P3- he actually seemed the most like a normal kid you'd have hung out with in high school.  And it helped that Vic Mignogna's performance was fantastic. 

Best S-Link in P3 was easily Sun.  Hanged Man was good too. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »
November
Strega? I barely know ya!

- Full moon event right away. Easiest boss yet. In fact, this whole game seems to have a backwards difficulty curve as far as story bosses go. Mostly because Tartarus Guardians become exponentially stronger than their story-brand counterparts, so being able to defeat them eventually means being able to slaughter the story bosses.

- JRPG 101: The more strongly characters around you suggest that "This is the last battle," the less likely it actually is.

- In one sense, I like that Strega's part in the plot is the only evenly paced part of the story in P3, but in another sense it's hard to stay invested when their goal seems to constantly change.

-I *HATE* the cliche JRPG villain motivation of "salvation lies in total annihilation," especially when they try to do it with a villain that they want you to believe isn't a total sociopath.

- Ikutski wants SEES to be sacrifices to bring about The Fall, but then it's never mentioned again why he thought sacrifices were even needed. There are so many things about the plot of this game that I'd love to ask the writers. I'll revisit this topic in December.

- I know the Persona games are about teenagers that have to balance school with saving the world, but maybe when your whole life is turned upside down you could TAKE A DAY OR TWO OFF! I know Mitsuru takes a couple days off after her dad dies, but there's so many times in this game that I have to wonder how emotionally dead the protag is to just go right back to school. Again, this is especially true in December.

- There are things I think Persona 4 does better than Persona 3,  but one of the things I like that Persona 3 does over Persona 4 is give the player a little control during events. Sure, it's never really significant, but things like the Kyoto trip just feel a little more tangible when it's more than a cutscene. Particularly if you're currently dating the Strength girl (forget her name at the moment).

- Artemecia is such a gorgeous evolution for Mitsuru's Persona. Doesn't hurt that her wielding a chain whip just seems... appropriate.

-That being said, I take back what I said before about Mitsuru being a valuable party member. Once she learns Mind Charge and Tentarafoo, she's pretty useless outside of a couple Guardian battles where the latter skill actually works.

- On the other hand, during the late game Ken actually gets some battle chops by being the most effective healer. Mainly because he doesn't waste time healing one character at a time like Yukari (who also wastes SP with Diarahan)

- Anyway, I digress. Going back to my previous point, the battle with Chidori was a joke. I think she got one or two turns only and that was with using mostly regular attacks. Kind of a waste since she has such a cool weapon (My "Hatchet on a chain" jingle: "Hatchet in the front row! Hatchet in the back row! Hatchet all around! When your hatchet's on a chain, you can hatchet anyone!")

- Once again, Chidori and Junpei are an adorable couple. Chidori sharing her feelings about Junpei is super sappy and yet I eat it all up. Nom nom.

- Infinite kudos to the artist for designing Junpei's evolved persona as a combination of Hermes and Medea.

- JRPG 101: If the heroes are reacting to an emotional moment, the villain will stand around letting them react.

- Chidori's story doesn't end with her death, and that makes me quite happy.

- Yet another question for the developers: Why is Ryoji a rich pompous flirt? Is it just to give the rest of the characters a reason to dismiss Aigis' apprehension?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:20:04 AM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
November
Strega? I barely know ya!

- Full moon event right away. Easiest boss yet. In fact, this whole game seems to have a backwards difficulty curve as far as story bosses go. Mostly because Tartarus Guardians become exponentially stronger than their story-brand counterparts, so being able to defeat them eventually means being able to slaughter the story bosses.

- JRPG 101: The more strongly characters around you suggest that "This is the last battle," the less likely it actually is.

- In one sense, I like that Strega's part in the plot is the only evenly paced part of the story in P3, but in another sense it's hard to stay invested when their goal seems to constantly change.

-I *HATE* the cliche JRPG villain motivation of "salvation lies in total annihilation," especially when they try to do it with a villain that they want you to believe isn't a total sociopath.

- Ikutski wants SEES to be sacrifices to bring about The Fall, but then it's never mentioned again why he thought sacrifices were even needed. There are so many things about the plot of this game that I'd love to ask the writers. I'll revisit this topic in December.

- I know the Persona games are about teenagers that have to balance school with saving the world, but maybe when your whole life is turned upside down you could TAKE A DAY OR TWO OFF! I know Mitsuru takes a couple days off after her dad dies, but there's so many times in this game that I have to wonder how emotionally dead the protag is to just go right back to school. Again, this is especially true in December.

- There are things I think Persona 4 does better than Persona 3,  but one of the things I like that Persona 3 does over Persona 4 is give the player a little control during events. Sure, it's never really significant, but things like the Kyoto trip just feel a little more tangible when it's more than a cutscene. Particularly if you're currently dating the Strength girl (forget her name at the moment).

- Artemecia is such a gorgeous evolution for Mitsuru's Persona. Doesn't hurt that her wielding a chain whip just seems... appropriate.

-That being said, I take back what I said before about Mitsuru being a valuable party member. Once she learns Mind Charge and Tentarafoo, she's pretty useless outside of a couple Guardian battles where the latter skill actually works.

- On the other hand, during the late game Ken actually gets some battle chops by being the most effective healer. Mainly because he doesn't waste time healing one character at a time like Yukari (who also wastes SP with Diarahan)

- Anyway, I digress. Going back to my previous point, the battle with Chidori was a joke. I think she got one or two turns only and that was with using mostly regular attacks. Kind of a waste since she has such a cool weapon (My "Hatchet on a chain" jingle: "Hatchet in the front row! Hatchet in the back row! Hatchet all around! When your hatchet's on a chain, you can hatchet anyone!")

- Once again, Chidori and Junpei are an adorable couple. Chidori sharing her feelings about Junpei is super sappy and yet I eat it all up. Nom nom.

- Infinite kudos to the artist for designing Junpei's evolved persona as a combination of Hermes and Medea.

- JRPG 101: If the heroes are reacting to an emotional moment, the villain will stand around letting them react.

- Chidori's story doesn't end with her death, and that makes me quite happy.

- Yet another question for the developers: Why is Ryoji a rich pompous flirt? Is it just to give the rest of the characters a reason to dismiss Aigis' apprehension?

Again I feel the need to disclaim "IIRC" to this post and remind everyone I wanna/should play it again.

I think that's one thing that drives me nuts about game villains is that they are so often set up as such an obvious villain it hurts.  Golbez? OBVIOUSLY a villain.  Sephiroth? Well, at first he seemed a-ok, but then after the "5 years ago" incident it's been him just completely off his rocker non-stop.  Seymour?  Even if it wasn't obvious the music literally says it all.  So yeah, I never really felt too much love for Strega since they're just so obviously set up as villains and Revolver Jesus just comes off without much respect for his cause.  Chidori, IIRC, was the only one they really gave an angle to other than what was shown... which is peculiar and a little disappointing for a game that...kinda "Sailormoons" it was through villains by almost creating an episodic-like nature to its story.  Eh.  I guess the clear emphasis is on the characters themselves though, and less the villains.

I guess you COULD examine the plot, and it sorts of helped me think about it too, is that the game maybe takes a lot from Freud's (eugh, I know) "Thanatos instinct", the 'death drive' where people seek risky and destructive behaviour or in hopes of some sort of gain. 
And yeah, Thanatos is a persona.  The cast itself all seem somewhat 'close' to death in general and the topic itself could possibly serve as a theme towards it... I mean, for goodness sakes, they use GUNS pointed at their HEADS to draw out Personas.

In general I thought the Persona designs for this game were absolutely killer.... well, honestly, I like them more often then not, even the weird ones.  Trismegustus is definitely wicked (along with Hermes before him) an effective choice of colour (as you say, Chidori's signature 'red' being an effective colouring choice) and works with the mythology behind the name.

Complain as you will about Ryuji, I give him credit for having the chutzpah to flirt the way he did... especially since he was a highschooler with what looked like a receding hairline.

I do think it's cool that Nyx has been in a FEW SMT games.  Makes me feel at any point, really, any monster-character can become a central Persona or a main antagonist.

A few points I'd love elaborated, like what happened during the Kyoto trip that you're on about (I def don't remember) or how Chidori impacts the game after her 'big finale'.

Last point, to this day I still go giggly for how stylish the P3 opening is.  By comparison, I mean, Tales openings rarely try anything different than to look like 'pretty anime' moments that *sometimes* showcase a few key scenes in the game.  That's not to say the animations are 'bad' (far from it, and UFO Table has been great for showing off some delicious animation and Banco has gotten some serious musical talent for these openers).  I think the most unique Tales opening was Innocence DS (thanks is part to Kokia's 'backwards' singing and gorgeous stainglass/shadows opening that demonstrate that these 'heroes' are 'on the run').  But that's it.  Persona 3 and 4 *beautifully* change up the game with something that's so damn brilliant and modern and just generally never-before-seen to elevate the typical "anime opening theme" experience.  My hat's off to them and I can't wait for P5's opener.
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention though: I love Persona/SMT music... and the singer...but goddamn her lyrics are incomprehensible.  I'm also isolating these two examples since I have mixed reactions for the other openings
+1 on the fact that Persona 4's main cast felt more like legit teenagers.  That's why Junpei was my favorite character in P3- he actually seemed the most like a normal kid you'd have hung out with in high school.  And it helped that Vic Mignogna's performance was fantastic. 

Best S-Link in P3 was easily Sun.  Hanged Man was good too. 

Quoting for truth on this too!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 07:01:53 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »

A few points I'd love elaborated, like what happened during the Kyoto trip that you're on about (I def don't remember) or how Chidori impacts the game after her 'big finale'.

For Chidori, I wouldn't say she really impacts the game after her death, but Mitsuru continues to be curious about her and uses her resources to try and find out more about her.

Kyoto isn't all that significant, as I mentioned. But you do get to wander around the hotel at the end of each day, talking to your classmates and listening to relaxing sitar music. It just adds a layer of depth to the events. While the events don't have any big adventures (apart from the quintessential hot springs scene/mini-game), I still like them better than those in vanilla P4. As for the girl I mentioned, if I remember correctly, her lines change depending on if you are currently dating her or not. I could be just imagining that though.

Glad someone finally said that about the lyrics to Persona songs. Ever since my friend pointed it out, I still can't unhear "...Feels like you all came all over me" in P3's standard "around town" theme. Wish she'd just sing in Japanese. There's a reason "Never More" is F--ing gorgeous!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Was Operation Babe Hunt ever discussed?  That was one of my favorite scenes in P3.  I loved how Akihiko tries to front all cool and shit, yet he's just as bad as, if not worse than, Junpei when it comes to mackin' on the ladies.  The bit in P3P where that cougar *does* hit on them made me giggle and I believe she appears in P4 as the horny teacher.  That one scene in P4 where the boys
stumble around in the dark then accidentally walk into horny cougar teacher's hotel room had me on the ground laughing my ass off.  

The one year I went to E3, I tried to get some of the other guys to go on an "Operation Babe Hunt" with me to get as many booth girl pics as we could, but it was a solo run for me.  On a self-imposed dare, that was encouraged by the rest of the staff, I went around asking various booth girls about the worst pickup lines they ever heard.  I embraced my inner Meis Triumph.  That, along with my other crazy antics, earned me the unofficial "class clown" and "class flirt" distinctions.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:34:31 AM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 08:12:37 AM »
I did mention it briefly, and thinking about it now, it really was one of the few times that the cast felt more human, rather than soulless husks that are only allowed to feel either sad or angry. Especially Akihiko, who Dice mentioned a while ago seems way too unflappable for a 17 year old.