Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Klutz64 Stumbles Through Persona 3 FES
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
Akihiko totally puts up a "tough guy" front.  I see a lot of kids like that at work- they puff out their chests and talk a big game to their friends, but can't always back it up when they're out of earshot.  Either that, or they're really confident in some situations but nervous in others.  Like the kid who's confident as hell on the football field in a packed stadium, but gets nervous about going in front of the class to do a presentation.  And in the case of Akihiko, he's a known athlete at his school, the girls already think he's cool and handsome, so he never had to make any effort to get girls.  He didn't need "game."  So put him on a strange beach where he's not the big fish in the small pond and he actually has to work some game to pique a girl's interest, he falls apart because he has no game.  I recall at some point in Operation Babe Hunt, he gets called out on it too.  

(I shouldn't be one to talk, though.  Truth be told, I don't exactly have wizard level game.  My game's still at padawan level.)

Junpei has game.  He just needs to refine it.  With practice, he'll have wizard-level game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:02:41 AM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »
I'm okay with this.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Looking at that comic, I realize that when I played the Operation Babe Hunt scene, I gave Junpei dibs on the "Beautiful Lady?" NPC.  I have no idea what would happen if I gave Akihiko dibs, since apparently he feels pretty in that one piece lady swimsuit and it seems "Beautiful Lady?" is a dickgirl who feels pretty in a bikini.  

Now if Meis Triumph were on Operation Babe Hunt...  (Seriously, all JRPG characters who claim to be womanizers talk a big game but don't walk the walk.  Meis 100% walks the walk and is a muthafuckin PIMP!)

But, yeah, scenes like Operation Babe Hunt are the ones I like best in JRPGs, because they give the characters a measure of humanity.  They can take a break from being the great heroes or the legendary warriors and just be themselves.  We talked about Akihiko being this unflappable tough-guy boxer, but Operation Babe Hunt reveals a chink in his armor, and we the audience find it charming that Mister Tough Guy loses his composure when trying to pick up girls. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:37:24 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
December was super fast and I actually finished it at the beginning of the week but decided to wait until now to post anything in case anyone had anything else to say about November.

December
Are You Aware That The Moon Grows Full...?

- I like how most people have been providing a plot summary in all their journal entries, but rather than completely change my style right away I figured I'd slowly transition into something different, first by at least giving a brief description of a scene I refer to.

- That being said, let's talk about Moonlight Bridge where Ryoji and Aigis are drawn to on the month's first full moon. Turns out Ryoji is really Death, the vessel for the 12 Shadows SEES has been defeating sealed away by Aigis in the main character 10 years ago. The two clash, Aigis is seriously injured and Ryoji takes the rest of the party back to tell them the truth about the Fall.

- So many JRPGs and anime, and even western fantasy, commit this bit of lazy writing. Whenever something is "sealed" in something else, we're just supposed to take that at face value. I mean, for instance in P3 I get that there are Personas and Shadows and magical powers, but none of that instantly makes the idea of sealing a Shadow in a human any more understandable. We're just expected to accept that it just so happens to be something Aigis is capable of through some unidentifiable magic. At least a Flashback or something to show the act would have been welcome here.

- That being said, I do like the idea of Ryoji already becoming somewhat of a "good guy" after watching over the protagonist as Pharos.

- So Ryoji reveals to the party that the Mother of Death, Nyx, is going to descend on Tartarus and turn every human into The Lost. Or Kill them all. This part is left quite vague. Though the implication throughout January is that everyone is awaiting their deaths, so let's go with that.

- Dice already sort of mentioned this, but I do like how most plots in Persona games (And Maybe SMT games in general?) all come down to at least pseudo-real Mythology. They at least reference the important parts of the main villains' stories and personalities.

- Whenever I get to the big decision of forgetting everything and living the rest of your days in peace, or keeping your memories and facing your inevitable demise always gets me thinking about the philosophical question this originates from.... Would you want to know the exact time, place, and cause of your death even knowing there was nothing you could do about it?------------ I usually lean towards yes, since then I could at least live my life without fear of a sudden, unexpected death.

- A couple S. Link notes.
- As Dincrest said, Akinari (Sun) is probably the most interesting S. Link in the game, not necessarily because of the twist ending, but because his story about the Pink Alligator is beautifully crafted for something so morbid.
- I really like Bebe's (Temperance) S. Link even though it's pretty bland and boring, because it teaches very basic Japanese phrases so it's practical.

- I'm glad I talked so much about the events at the beginning of the month, because the rest of December is fairly bland.

- Took Fuuka out on Christmas Eve. Nothing really to add to that other than the fact that I really like that the town was decorated for Christmas, unlike in P4 where the town was already in crisis state by the time Christmas came along.

- Aigis is gone for such a long time, I'm glad I had already finished December's section of Tartarus in November so Aigis wouldn't get too far behind in levels.

- Aigis' VA does an amazing job with her transformation. Her voice change is so subtle yet not hard to miss. It also is a really nice complement to the other scenes throughout the month of the cast making their decisions. That scene in particular, talking about many themes of the game like the meaning of life and anti-martyrdom, does a nice job of summing up the closure that each of those other scenes provided for the characters.

- I've never gotten the bad ending, not even out of curiosity. I probably should have this time just to talk about what happens, but I'm sure it's not all that interesting.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:51:52 AM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »
Glad someone finally said that about the lyrics to Persona songs. Ever since my friend pointed it out, I still can't unhear "...Feels like you all came all over me"

omfg me too!  makes it embarassing when I got my sing-along playlist running in the car and I "picture things" while it's on. x)
It's such a cool song too, otherwise.  And yeah, her Japanese singing is tip-top I'm surprised they opt for English so often (unless it's intentionally ironic to take a game that's so steeped in "Japanese life" that the singing ain't)

December was super fast and I actually finished it at the beginning of the week but decided to wait until now to post anything in case anyone had anything else to say about November.

December
Are You Aware That The Moon Grows Full...?

- I like how most people have been providing a plot summary in all their journal entries, but rather than completely change my style right away I figured I'd slowly transition into something different, first by at least giving a brief description of a scene I refer to.

- That being said, let's talk about Moonlight Bridge where Ryoji and Aigis are drawn to on the month's first full moon. Turns out Ryoji is really Death, the vessel for the 12 Shadows SEES has been defeating sealed away by Aigis in the main character 10 years ago. The two clash, Aigis is seriously injured and Ryoji takes the rest of the party back to tell them the truth about the Fall.

- So many JRPGs and anime, and even western fantasy, commit this bit of lazy writing. Whenever something is "sealed" in something else, we're just supposed to take that at face value. I mean, for instance in P3 I get that there are Personas and Shadows and magical powers, but none of that instantly makes the idea of sealing a Shadow in a human any more understandable. We're just expected to accept that it just so happens to be something Aigis is capable of through some unidentifiable magic. At least a Flashback or something to show the act would have been welcome here.

- That being said, I do like the idea of Ryoji already becoming somewhat of a "good guy" after watching over the protagonist as Pharos.

- So Ryoji reveals to the party that the Mother of Death, Nyx, is going to descend on Tartarus and turn every human into The Lost. Or Kill them all. This part is left quite vague. Though the implication throughout January is that everyone is awaiting their deaths, so let's go with that.

- Dice already sort of mentioned this, but I do like how most plots in Persona games (And Maybe SMT games in general?) all come down to at least pseudo-real Mythology. They at least reference the important parts of the main villains' stories and personalities.

- Whenever I get to the big decision of forgetting everything and living the rest of your days in peace, or keeping your memories and facing your inevitable demise always gets me thinking about the philosophical question this originates from.... Would you want to know the exact time, place, and cause of your death even knowing there was nothing you could do about it?------------ I usually lean towards yes, since then I could at least live my life without fear of a sudden, unexpected death.

- A couple S. Link notes.
- As Dincrest said, Akinari (Sun) is probably the most interesting S. Link in the game, not necessarily because of the twist ending, but because his story about the Pink Alligator is beautifully crafted for something so morbid.
- I really like Bebe's (Temperance) S. Link even though it's pretty bland and boring, because it teaches very basic Japanese phrases so it's practical.

- I'm glad I talked so much about the events at the beginning of the month, because the rest of December is fairly bland.

- Took Fuuka out on Christmas Eve. Nothing really to add to that other than the fact that I really like that the town was decorated for Christmas, unlike in P4 where the town was already in crisis state by the time Christmas came along.

- Aigis is gone for such a long time, I'm glad I had already finished December's section of Tartarus in November so Aigis wouldn't get too far behind in levels.

- Aigis' VA does an amazing job with her transformation. Her voice change is so subtle yet not hard to miss. It also is a really nice complement to the other scenes throughout the month of the cast making their decisions. That scene in particular, talking about many themes of the game like the meaning of life and anti-martyrdom, does a nice job of summing up the closure that each of those other scenes provided for the characters.

- I've never gotten the bad ending, not even out of curiosity. I probably should have this time just to talk about what happens, but I'm sure it's not all that interesting.
[/size]

To be fair, the plots in Persona games are, I think I mentioned, pretty "episode of the week".  I mean, you miss an episode of SailorMoon or Frasier or some other show from the 90s, you're usually fine besides a few 'wham' moments.

That said though, I think you nailed my issue with Persona's plot writing, indeed, they expect this REAL WORLD situation with surreal elements to exist pretty much without a hitch.  The Shadow Hearts games or even Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma ALSO take place on Earth but sell the idea that "all myths are actually real" way better, whereas Persona still keeps that stuff in secret, no one knows about the Midnight Hour or that Nyx is coming or that ghouls and goblins are real besides the people who deal with them.  In Terranigma or Shadow Hearts people are SCARED of demons which makes any 'magical plot' involving them seem....oddly acceptable.  I guess that's why Aigis' plot involvement bugs me.  She's awesome, I love her to death....but jeezus-H this magical android convincingly mingles with everyone and with a huge piece of plot importance which sort of detracts from the 'everyday atmosphere' in Persona games.  It's a small nothing to think about, but still...

As for the death bit.  I'd want to know too, as you say, you'd be fearless of everything else if you knew the end and the only problem being if you didn't look "that old" in the glimpse.  But then I think when you finally know the end is near, and unless you're like 90 and in pain, it could never be enough time. 
When I die, I just hope it's fast.  I'm already a deep thinker, it's annoying.

It's weird, but I hate going for bad endings even for curiosities sake.  They're just too sad. :(
The Persona 3 one is pretty uneventful, nothing too much lost.  Persona 4's annoys me because it kinda cheapens the good ending, IMO.

Still, we need a college-aged Persona game.  Writing exams, then failing, but saving the world at least, but barely, then you end the game, busted and broke.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2015, 12:51:09 AM »
The "Episode of the week" thing is why I don't like how much they tried to tie together Persona 3 and Persona 4. The plots don't make any sense together. The shadows in Persona 3 don't have anything to do with the shadows in Persona 4 (Even though I'm sure they came up with some crazy explanation in Arena or Q or both)

Even if we accept that all the shadows from Persona 3 (That have been around as long as anyone can remember) all came from the Hollow Forest, the plot of Persona 3 identifies the shadows as being inextricably linked to the Fall. Then in Persona 4 they're basically the same as Heartless.

EDIT: For that matter, doesn't Teddie outright say that Shadows can't exist in the human world without turning it into the Shadow world?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:04:25 AM by Klutz64 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »
January
The Rise of the Fall

= Not a whole lot to talk about in January until the Promised Day of January 31 since the game gives you a lot of free time to finish up Social Links and explore Tartarus. Also my memories of the events are a little fuzzy, so if things are a bit out of order I apologize.

= The new music in January is fantastic in all cases. The new dorm theme is hopeful but also tense, the new Bay Area theme is relaxing as can be but also ominous as hell, and the new school theme is just all around pleasant to listen to.

= The Cult of Nyx is a throwaway plot element, but I appreciate what it does for the atmosphere throughout the month.

= In fact, all of January is full of little details that are minimal on their own but add up to create a truly unique vibe for the final month of the game.

= At one point, Junpei asks you to go with him to the roof for some guy talk. Now, at this point my S. Link with Fuuka was at level 10. Unexpectedly, Junpei actually confronts the protag about the two of them. He says something along the lines of "That's cool, Fuuka's a great girl. Be sure to take good care of her." Really captured the moment since it was absolutely how two guys would talk when one of them was going out with a mutual friend.

= Speaking of Junpei, was really disappointed in the writing of Chidori's story in January. She comes back to life with an explanation that actually makes sense, and that's the end of her role in the game. Really bizarre way to end what was at this point a wonderful bittersweet subplot in the game.

= The writers really went out of their way to make Aigis' S. Link as creepy as possible, particularly the final scene ("Please... take off my ribbon"). Thankfully, Metatron is totally worth it.

= So Weapon fusion is completely useless until you start fusing the Lvl 10 S. Link Personas.

= Speaking of useless, every character that learns an element break spell is absolutely dogshit in battles after they learn it.

= The maximum amount of Yen (10M) seems pretty low considering it costs about 5,000,000 yen to purchase the last set of equipment when it's ON SALE.

= Defeated The Reaper! Not only that, but I defeated him on January 30.. very close to last minute.

= However, I didn't even realize Monad was a thing until this playthrough and only noticed it after defeating The Reaper. Needless to say, didn't really do anything there. Does it have any relevancy to the story? Is there even anything to get at the end of it?

= I hope everyone has the same reaction when starting the final day: "Crap! More floors!?"

= Strega's big secret? Kirijo gave them Personas against their will, only the three of them survived.

= ...that's it?

= Takaya's grandeur is pretty infectious, I hate to admit. I love the inital exchange of "Out of our way!" "I am not standing in your way."

= I think it's Akihiko that asks Takaya the very good question of how he knows about Nyx, a question he completely brushes aside.

= And the winner of best reuse of a melody in any video game ever?
Subete no Hito no Tamashii no Tatakai --aka-- The Velvet Room ~ Battle Ver.

= Having to defeat Nyx Avatar 13 times was pretty annoying, but his little Arcana speeches, particularly the last one were at least appropriately chilling.

= Despite that, I did just Armageddon his last form because really who has time for bullshit damage shields?

= Did not realize how similar Nyx's true form and P4's Yamano Sagiri were in appearance. Sure "Giant floating eyeball" isn't that hard to replicate, but it is an interesting choice to reuse the form.

= What's this? A new power awakens just in time to defeat the final boss? Unheard of!

= "Buuuuuuuurn yoooouuur dreeaad"

= I really don't know how to feel about scripted final battles. When they were new and novel it was interesting, but they're all old hat at this point. Having said that, the voice acting of the characters during their pep talks was phonomenal--not that the voice acting wasn't good throughout, they just really took it up a notch for that scene in particular.

= We'll talk about the ending later, 'kay?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:47:18 PM by Klutz64 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »
THE JOURNEY
Final Thoughts

= I went into this for a replay because I honestly could not remember much about it, and wanted to be able to judge it against P4 over which I like better. In the end I like them both for different reasons. P4 has better characters and better pacing, while I tend to prefer P3's battle system and balance between combat and socializing (Having to sacrifice an entire afternoon in P4 kind of sucks, even if the lack of stamina means you have to explore fewer times). I also think Persona 3 slightly edges out Persona 4 in interesting social links, though Persona 4 has more interesting generic npc's.

= Ms. Toriumi is the best NPC in the game. She has her quirks and flaws, sure. But she's not weird to a cartoonish degree (discounting the Hermit S. Link) like the other instructors in the game, and I would have loved to have her as a teacher in High School.

= What the heck was the point of Freeze and Shock in Persona 3? I don't think I ever had an incident where either status effect lasted beyond the afflicted's next turn.

= As I said, Persona 4 has much better pacing than Persona 3. The story in P3 is so back-loaded that it's no wonder so many of my previous attempts to replay the game had me lose interest in the first two months or so.

= Yukari is a snob from beginning to end, but she has her moments. I like that as the story progresses, she's sort of there to even out Mitsuru's uptight disposition. In combat she's hit or miss, like most she tends to waste a lot of SP on useless stuff, but generally she doesn't learn a lot of pointless skills.

= Mitsuru is a mess of a character. Her S. Link has her as a caricature of a rich upper class girl, and her general demeanor doesn't make it any better. They try to give her scenes where her teenage side shows through, but it makes it even more awkward 'cause it's basically impossible to see her as a teenager. So it comes across as a middle aged businesswoman trying to figure out "what the kids are into." In battle she's not much better, she has the advantage of being the only NPC with Bufu skills but she rarely uses them, opting to go for status effects and Mind Charge.

====Speaking of Mind Charge. Ugh. If it more than doubled the damage of a spell, okay. But instead it's only use is to save a tiny bit of SP on the Ma----dyne skills.

= Akihiko isn't much better than Mitsuru outside of combat. He has no personality beyond "I'm a soft-spoken tough guy that probably suffers from a clinical exercise addiction." He gets even worse after Shinjiro dies. I swear those two must have had something going on behind closed doors. "This is for Shinji!" "Shinji is watching over us!" "I have to live up to Shinji!" In combat he's pretty good, though sometimes he'll waste a skill on an enemy that has already been scanned to reveal a Strike weakness. But he also gets an elemental skill and eventually learns Diarahan, so he's one of my go-to party members.

= Junpei is awesome. He acts his age, he's fun and goofy but not annoying (Like Yosuke), but he's also sensitive and knows when the time to crack jokes is over. He's not very versatile in battle, but he can still be useful thanks to him being the hardest hitter (That stays alive)

= Fuuka is just too bland to be likeable. Every now and then they try to give her a personality, with her confidence issues and her... love of flowers I guess? Her personality just ends up all over the place and it ends up becoming just kind of there. Obvs her usefulness in battle changes as she levels up, but I was completely spoiled by P4 Golden's Rise (Actually, I feel like P4G Rise made that game even easier than it already was), Still it would have been nice to give her a way to restore a little SP after battles eventually.  That was almost a more limiting resource than stamina.

= Koromaru. Is he the mascot character or is Aigis? Hard to say, though the relationship between the two almost makes me want to say they both are. In battle he's kind of useful with the mudo skills as long as he's not wasting them on enemies that could be taken out with another skill or regular attack.

= Ken is just plain strange. One of the things I noticed toward the end of the game is I hate the way he talks like his VA is doing the whole thing with gritted teeth. He is very useful in battle though, with a sample of skills of every type (physical, healing, magic, instakill) and tends to use the correct one in most situations.

= Aigis is a strange addition to the story as well, as Dice has mentioned before. Her role could have been filled by any matter of mcguffins, but we end up with an android who can magically seal shadows in humans or whatever. I do like her character development though, and once you deal with her lightning weakness, she's incredibly useful in battle. In particular, her Dekunda skill has saved my arse multiple times.

= Shinjiro I don't think really counts as a main character to talk about here, but I will anyway. He's okay in battle but it doesn't really matter because he dies only a few weeks after joining the party anyway. A few people said in another thread that they found his death really touching. I didn't, though. First of all, it was to save the most irritating character in the game and second because he really did feel like a background character until that point.

= Blah blah blah more Persona 3 stuff I'm probably just wasting my time writning but whatever just doing this for myself at this point blah blah blah.

= I find Nozomi's Social Link to be surprisingly touching. Its cool, too, since it goes in a COMPLETELY different direction than is initially expected. It also kind of ties in with the main plot a bit more than most other S. Links.

= I guess that just leaves the ending to talk about. Ever since learning about the true ending in Persona 4, free-roaming epilogues make me nervous, like I'm given the freedom to wander around because there's something else I can do.

= I like the wrapping up of all the social links you mastered, but man are most of them too long-winded for their own game.

= The short bit of music that plays as the characters remember their promise is perfect for that scene. Then it's ruined by Mitsiru's super cheesy stage dive.

= I don't care for the way they chose to end it with the protag dying. I know it's supposed to wrap up the main theme of finding meaning to life, but there's no foreshadowing whatsoever. You would think Igor or Pharos would have said something ominous at some point, but even in hindsight there's no sign that it's going to happen until it happens.

THE END
...or is it?

It probably is unless people suddenly want to read more of my rambling nonsense.

I realize I may have sounded a bit ungrateful in this post, but I do appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my posts, mostly because I truly do believe there are much better uses of your time!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:27:45 PM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »
 I can't remember many of the details you describe.  I probably know the songs, but I don't know when they'd play.  The cult of Nyx I entirely forgot about, but like you said, it adds a little (if not somewhat foreboding).

Well done on killing the Reaper though!  Being a lil' teen, that shit scared me.
And yeah the Yen amount is balls.

= What's this? A new power awakens just in time to defeat the final boss? Unheard of!

I laughed xD

= The writers really went out of their way to make Aigis' S. Link as creepy as possible, particularly the final scene ("Please... take off my ribbon"). Thankfully, Metatron is totally worth it.

I also noticed Aigis in a uniform... has shoes on...  Is her peg-leg just in the shoe? Is there a sock filling up said shoe? I have more questions than answers...  I do like how her unusual appearance is played up for some laughs, but given how 'unreal' super-functioning female android is, they should have taken it further.

Still, I think the final Social Link is sweet enough that she wants to share her intimate circuit with you.  Pretty sure with VR coming 'round we'll know all about this.  The way it's described is weird "SHARE YOUR FINGER PRINT OILS ON MY CIRCUIT" . xD  It's definitely somewhat sexual, she apologizes for strange noises and you "spent a long time with her". ( ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°)

= "Buuuuuuuurn yoooouuur dreeaad"

~ Burrrn your breaaaad (burn my bread)~

I'm pretty sure I know the lyrics to the final boss.

Strega's secret was cool.  Forgot that bit entirely.
And yeah Ms Toriumi was a great social link.  Maybe it's somewhat relatable to more people nowadays too.  Anyways, the small nod to Persona 2 is nice as well.

I generally agree with your assessments on the cast too, despite some hiccups, the P4 cast is way more likeable (I think even the team working on it sorta felt that since they branched their arcs out a lot more than P3's cast).  Yukari is alright, she's a little girly, annoying, and little else.  Junpei is the rockstar, Akihiko I wanted to like more but kinda comes and goes no more interesting than he began.  Mitsuru annoys me because she's JUST NOT SEVENTEEN; maybe she would have been more fun if she 'owned' that popularity a bit better (if she was in P4 she might have), but she sounds like she's 15 years older than she is and just doesn't sound like much fun to be with.  I get what they were going with her, but it felt like a swing and a miss --- perfectly: the ice queen never really defrosts.  Ken isn't a child, the dog is the best character, and yeah I didn't feel anything for whats-his-ass dying.  Too little too late. 

I really like your point about the ending.  I agree, I think I'd like the ending more if it was foreshadowed better, or gave a sense that "this is your last year" before it's too late.  I think a big part of that could have been avoided if we at least got to interact as the protagonist better.  Part of my issues with silent protagonists is I feel less like I'm 'in their shoes' as much as I'm just compliant to people's needs.  In this case: Well shit the planet needs me, so I better be the shield because the game is really orientating me to it.  You don't really get much of the MCs thoughts on it, that he's scared, that he'd give up his life for his friends, that his life is meaningfull... it's just kinda... Empty.

This was a really great let's play Klutz, you've truly inspired me to give the game a go myself. :)

PS:... I hate that stupid fucking victory theme and the social link max song.  God they make me mad. >:(
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2015, 12:36:40 AM »
Side note: Best breakfast I ever had was at a place called Burnt Toast.

Another small detail about the game that got on my nerves: How often the cast would talk about "losing."

"I won't lose!"
"We can't afford to lose!"
"I made up my mind, I won't lose!"
"I'm not gonna lose!"
etc, etc.

It just takes away from the immersion.

Also, I don't know if I'll be adding The Answer to this journal, so I do just want to say real quick that Metis' Valkyrie-inspired armor is totes rad. Helps that she's voiced by one of my favorite VA's (even if she suffers from same-voice syndrome in all her roles, still love her)

((I'd post a pic here for reference, but I can't seem to find a good one that isn't needlessly huge))

Favorite nicknames for Metis: Onee-sandroid or Tsunderaigis