• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Xenoblade X OST
« on: May 23, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
Davi reviewed this!

http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/xenobladex/index.html

I talked a lot of skepticism prior to this coming out. I was mistaken. I love this soundtrack. Don't go in expecting anything like the previous Xenoblade, though, because you'll be upset. This is very different, and (IMO) pretty unforgettable music.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Xenoblade X OST
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
For those unaware, the composer to XenobladeX is the same fella who did the soundtrack for ATTACK ON TITAN. So if you've seen that anime and enjoyed what you heard ... you'll probably dig this as well.

My feeling is that Tetsuya Takahashi is intentional about seeking out different talent for different projects to suit their world/environment. Mitsuda was great, and so was Kajiura, and so was the ACE team and Shimomura. So I'm not surprised that Sawano is rockin' it as well. :)

DaviKaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
Yeah, I read that Takahashi downright insisted that they ask for Sawano.  The next thing from him I think I'll be checking out is the Kill la Kill OST.
Not even Jupiter can find a missed opportunity.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »
Yeah, you're both right. Takahashi is a big fan of Sawano and specifically asked for him to score X. If you like what you hear and want to check out more of Sawano's work, I'd recommend Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Guilty Crown, in addition to the aforementioned Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill.

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
If you can track down his solo album "musica," that is also excellent, although it's primarily vocal tracks. Melancholia, a song on Xeno X was actually originally featured on musica first, which is especially interesting considering it came out in 2009.

"We're stuck on a whole different plaaaaaaanet." -Black Tar, 2015

"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:39:32 PM »
I gave it a listen this afternoon, and the best I can come up with is ... "Meh".

I don't mind that kind of electronic music but there's a distinct lack of variety in the soundtrack, particularly in the first two discs.

The third is better and the last is the best, but it's not saying much.

I wasn't expecting the Xenoblade themes to be redone - but I expected more creativity, and it just wasn't there to me.

Far too much repetition of style and genre. I think some of the songs might have been better without lyrics (And no, I'm not a fan of Black Tar either)

The only two real standout tracks are NLA Shigai on Disc 3 and X-BT3 on Disc 4.

Pretty big disappointment considering the quality of Xenoblade's sountrack.

They should have stuck with what worked and used the last game's composers.

TLDR: I don't mind that they used electronic music - but it kind of all sounds the same. There isn't as much variety in the music as there could have been.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:43:58 PM by Lard »
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:09:08 AM »
I think in the end my view is in line with yours Lard, with one key difference: I'm not disappointed.

I think all of these critiques are on point:
- latter discs are better than former
- general lack of variety in musical style and instrumentation
- NLA Shigai is *awesome*

I can get with all that.

But I can't call it a disappointment. Maybe over time I'll rank it lower than prior Xeno-soundtracks. But right now, for me, it's on par w/ Xenosaga I and it beats Xenosaga II. Compared to the original Xenoblade ... I don't know what to say yet. TBH I wasn't an enormous fan of the first Xenoblade soundtrack. Which ... I know, what's wrong with me ... haha. :)

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
I guess disappointment may come across as a tad unfair, but I will say I'm disappointed in the lack of variety.

DaviKaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
Huh, I had the opposite reaction.  I thought variety was the OST's strong suit, while the consistent style gave it distinct character.  I'm actually still listening to it on the daily.

As for the original Xenoblade OST comparison, that's *definitely* a matter of apples and oranges.  You can like one more than the other, but comparing them directly doesn't make a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:32:40 AM by DaviKaze »
Not even Jupiter can find a missed opportunity.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
Agreed on all points with Davi.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

DtS Bard

• The Headphone Guy
  • Duck Soup! Duck What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »
I have only gotten through about 10 tracks but I am really liking this music. It's not what I expected from a Xenoblade soundtrack but more like I would expect from a Xenosaga soundtrack but I guess that's to be expected with the more sci-fi elements in this game. I really enjoy Sawano's work on Attack of Titan and this just solidifies him as one of my favorite composer's (as if I don't have enough already). Well I'm going back to listen to more now =)
Des the Spoony Bard

dharkhades

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
I don't know how I feel about all of the piano tracks being at the end of the album but the variety is what makes this album much stronger than the first (I like electronica so I could be biased). This was probably the most unique VG ost I've heard in a long time.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »
Huh, I had the opposite reaction.  I thought variety was the OST's strong suit, while the consistent style gave it distinct character.  I'm actually still listening to it on the daily.

As for the original Xenoblade OST comparison, that's *definitely* a matter of apples and oranges.  You can like one more than the other, but comparing them directly doesn't make a lot of sense.

That's my point? What variety? It's sorely lacking in this soundtrack.

As for comparisons, it absolutely makes sense. Same developers, same bloody game name.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 11:10:54 PM »
As for comparisons, it absolutely makes sense. Same developers, same bloody game name.

I tend to agree here. Takahashi and crew may have made an intentional choice to switch composers, but we can see the visual style from Xenoblade to XenobladeX wasn't a drastic shift (compared to, say, the CG character art change from Xenosaga 1 to Xenosaga 2). The musical shift was drastic, and I think fans who complain and/or are frustrated by it have a valid point. Even if I like Sawano's music, which I do, I still won't know what I think of it in context of the game until I play the game myself. :)

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 12:17:11 AM »
Disagree. This game looks drastically different from XBC. Way more Sci fi and high tech. The music fits.