Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327867 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Yearly game awards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Yearly game awards  (Read 4074 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »

I'll just make a catch all topic for them, you can post URLs and whatnot as they pop up. Here's GameSpot's.

... I really shouldn't look at that and think "Spike fucking TV has better nominees than they do." At least for music, anyway.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:04:58 PM »

I saw X Play's Best Of show last night,a nd I thought it was pretty accurate (with my own opinions anyway), except for one odd thing. They had a "Most Unique Game" of 2006 award. Gears Of War beat out Okami. Gears Of War has a few small unique gameplay moments, but Okami is unique pretty much all the way around. I think on that one they voted on what game they thought was best instead of what was the most unique. Either way, Okami is both better and more unique, IMO. Which gamne is better is arguable, but which game is more unique? No contest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:31 PM »

GameSpot's almost as guilty there, with voting the Wii Madden's ball thing as 'best original game mechanic', although that is a more dramatic innovation than anything else there and is enough to make people who hate Madden love it. Personally, I voted for FFXII's gambit system: Haven't played Madden in years, let alone touch Madden Wii, and the Celestial Brush was more a neat one game novelty. The gambit system is a /great/ idea, and either it or variants seriously need to become popularly used so we have better ally AI in future RPGs, if not games period.

Amusing how FFXII is winning most improved sequel from the readers: It's definitely better than Tomb Raider Legend, but unlike Tomb Raider Legend it's prequels were not utter trash. Though I guess some people would feel there's just as much of an improvement over either FFX or XI.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 09:46:15 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Personally, I voted for FFXII's gambit system: Haven't played Madden in years, let alone touch Madden Wii, and the Celestial Brush was more a neat one game novelty. The gambit system is a /great/ idea, and either it or variants seriously need to become popularly used so we have better ally AI in future RPGs, if not games period.

I'm totally with you there, Eus. FFXII made me actually have to think while playing a Final Fantasy game. Something I havent had to do in quite a while.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:38:37 AM »

How the hell did Final Fantasy V get on the list of best role-playing games at GameSpot? Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but only because of the awesome job system. Story and character development are almost nonexistent and the graphics have been minorly enhanced.

Final Fantasy V Advance is a faithful translation of the long-lost 16-bit role-playing game that unfortunately never saw the light of day stateside.

I think they mixed that up with FFIII for DS, but oh well.

Anyway, I'm not sure that Gears of War beat Okami as they don't really have the games listed in any order. I could be wrong about that though because I didn't read any of the headers or explanations.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:17:01 AM »

I'd say FFV probably qualifies (and I'm certainly not thinking of story/character first and foremost with Oblivion anyway), but it would've been nice to see something like VP2 or XS3 nominated in it's place. And I think 'faithful translation' doesn't work for FFIII either, as a stupidly enhanced remake doesn't come off as a very faithful port. Speaking of FFIII, it probably wasn't there when FFV could've been since FFV really is the newer, more evolved game.

Also, if their special achievements are anything to go by, than with your logic NWN2 has already won and the rest can just go fuck off... Which, admittedly, could happen. Then again, NWN2's got a fair share of technical problems that could screw that up.

Edit: Though now that I think about it... Maybe 'faithful translation' is in reference to that, at last, FFV came out without a shit translation? :P
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 12:27:50 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Also, if their special achievements are anything to go by, than with your logic NWN2 has already won and the rest can just go fuck off... Which, admittedly, could happen. Then again, NWN2's got a fair share of technical problems that could screw that up.

Huh? are you referring to my logic? Because I didn't say anything about achievement, I just don't think FFV deserves a spot on the list is all.

Edit: Though now that I think about it... Maybe 'faithful translation' is in reference to that, at last, FFV came out without a shit translation? :P

To me it read like they thought Square had never released the game stateside, which they had in Final Fantasy Anthology.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

Well, I meant the whole 'didn't really succeed with story and characters' deal for the logic. And yeah, what I said about their translation quip's quite a stretch. :P

Though, they've also been wrong about Bomberman Act Zero's price (not that $50 is any better than $60...), so they just might not really be thinking before they do this or having someone really uninformed write this crap up.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 01:06:12 PM »

Bah, the only awards that count are RPGFan's Games of the Year, I say.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but it's looking like Metal Saga is gonna run away with everything this year.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Bah, the only awards that count are RPGFan's Games of the Year, I say.

Nonsense, GameSpot's always right. They said that Paper Mario 2 had the best story of every game in 2004!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:56:13 PM »

GameSpot updated with their genre winners. The ones that took me by surprise or seriously made me WTF:
Code:
Best Action Adventure was Dead Rising, not Zelda. Best Fighter was /Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3/. Best Platformer wasn't New Super Mario Bros, but Daxter. Last of all, EBA beat out GH2 for best music/rhythm game.

And the one I guess most people would care about here, for RPGs:
Code:
Oblivion.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 12:34:47 AM »

Aside from the Action/Adventure award, I wasn't too surprised by GameSpot's stuff.
Code:
For the Rhythm, I don't blame them picking EBA. It's been getting great critical acclaim from everywhere, and from what people are saying the song list isn't as bad as it looks.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 09:54:10 AM »

Holy shit! Do these awards suck or what? Hell, most of the nominees suck.
Seems Gamespot has a major hard-on for the 360.
The music category is a joke for not including Okami, which has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a while.
Everything else is just a bunch of mainstream bullshit.

Code:
WTF? Dead Rising beating out Zelda and Okami?!

This is why the Taliban hates us.
; - )

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 11:58:34 AM »

I have to agree with you on the Okami soundtrack.  I really like the vocal song that plays during the end credits.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 03:43:29 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
This is why the Taliban hates us.
; - )

HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I kinda gotta agree with you guys. Gamespot seems to basically be sucking off the Xbox 360 when it comes to some of these game winners. I mean...I LOVE Gears of War (havent really played all the way through it), but c'mon.....it's fucking Okami and Zelda. Okami is the most original game this year! AND IT'S FUCKING ZELDA....WITH AN ADULT LINK THROUGHOUT.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: