Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329437 Posts in 13496 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Yearly game awards
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Yearly game awards  (Read 4100 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 06:27:33 PM »

I'm not saying EBA didn't deserve it (may as well cut out spoilers now - everyone that's reading this far either already looked at the Genre awards or doesn't care), I'm just surprised it won. I suppose I preferred GH2 over what I played of EBA, but I'll know for sure when I get the full game, and even then GH2 doesn't have the goofy charm EBA has.

Dead Rising IS good, but best of the year for action adventure? I'd say if not TP, than at least Okami. Heck, they should differentiate from typical Action and Action Adventure, but that's beside the point (and it kinda proves what I saida bout it being the most diluted in definition). Daxter's also great, but we haven't exactly had a drought of Jak platformers like we have with SMB, so I'd give it runner up status but not best of, but I suppose you could argue that a 3D platformer ported so well is worthy of an award, while NSMB is a much smaller deal.

The one that seriously made me go WTF - and is probably the hardest to justify of all the awards - is fucking UMK3. I enjoyed it way back, but over newer fighting games, one which is supposed to be an amazing port? I only played UMK3 of those though, and that was as a demo, so I guess I don't really have any place picking into that. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 06:51:37 PM »

Perhaps too quick of a double post, but I wanted to point out X-Play's awards are online.

Son of a bitch, I think they're giving better awards too.

Edit: Not doing a triple post just to say that the Platform winners are up.

I think GotY will be
Code:
Gears of War. It won on it's console, and all the others were either bested on their console, or bested in their genre; the exception is EBA, and that simply wasn't nominated. I suppose they could be weird though and give the award to Oblivion while making GoW win on the X360, they did the same with RE4 last year, making it lose on PS2, but win GotY anyway.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 12:19:01 AM »

Apparently not:

Code:
Bully is game of the year at GameSpot.

But yea, I agree more with X-Play's awards myself.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 01:03:44 AM »

Jimmy: But they didn't announce the winner yet, unless there was some gargantuan fuckup on their part then promptly fixed it. I'm guessing you just looked at the first Nominee quickly?
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 02:01:10 AM »

Just a technicality, but last year's GS GotY was RE4 for GC, not PS2. That would explain that.

As for this year:
Code:
I don't think it'll be Bully for this reason: while it's good, other games are better. Namely Gears of War. Other than Gears getting it (which I'm not 100% sure it will), I don't quite know who will get it. GameSpot is kinda anal with their scores, so while Zelda might deserve it, it got an 8.8. I doubt it'll be entirely based on scores though (see Viva Pinata, which I'll mention in a second).

On another note: Viva Fucking Pinata. I'm really kinda happy that game got into their Top 10. I know some people at 1UP are deeply in love with that game, and I'm really looking forward to getting it in the near future. I'm just happy that they threw a bit of a curveball and gave praise where praise was due.

On yet another note: No portable games in the Top 10? What gives? I'd expect at least EBA to be in there, considering it got DS GotY.

On a final note: Five X360 games (including Oblivion), three PS2, one PC, one Wii. Just saying.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 02:27:55 AM »

Dead Rising is another good example. It won at 8.4 for being best Action Adventure, yet Zelda got 8.8 (which resulted in an internet meltdown or something), and Okami a /9/. Though, yeah, technically it could be Oblivion PC that wins, and unlike RE4 that'd make sense beyond 'well, it wouldn't be fair to win on two platformers', what with looking better and enabling mods to extend it's life even further.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »

Game of the Year has been announced on Gamespot:
Code:
It's Gears of War. Personally, I don't consider it GotY, though it's a pretty good shooter and probably the best of those in 2006, but I preferred games like Oblivion and Zelda myself, definitely.

For those interested in IGN's awards, here. Overall won't be out until next year, and for the most part I found the winners non-controversial.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:35 PM »

Bahh Zelda is overrated.  Yeah I said it.  To many damn fanboys and fangirls, and the game hasnt really done anything "new"  Its a decent game, but it doesnt deserve the OMG THOU ART HOLY it gets from everyone.  At least imo.

Still, I pretty much say F U to game awards save for this site, cause most of the time its just whats popular, not whats actually good.  Though sometimes its a bit of both.

But yeah, GoW getting most original on Xplay was like...umm the fuck?

Okami definately should win at least one award, was an amazing piece of gaming imo.

And yeah, in a pissy mood, so piss off ^_^

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
Bahh Zelda is overrated.  Yeah I said it.  To many damn fanboys and fangirls, and the game hasnt really done anything "new"  Its a decent game, but it doesnt deserve the OMG THOU ART HOLY it gets from everyone.  At least imo.

While not TEH BEST ZELDA EVAH (if you just mean TP and not the series period), I do think it's probably the single best game overall I played this year. Unless something I'll get for Christmas blows me away, I can think of very few this year that compared. If nothing else, I did like it more than GoW, though that was pretty good too.

But yeah, GoW getting most original on Xplay was like...umm the fuck?

Except it didn't win most original, and you can't even use the 'top nominee confusion' excuse. The winner was Dead Rising, which probably deserves it really. Okami was pretty great, but the most original thing was the style and the brush mechanic, while Dead Rising was the first game to seriously do the 'zombie mob' thing as well as let you use damn near everything as a weapon, and the unique setup for time and saving (for better or worse - I still need to play the full game).

And yeah, in a pissy mood, so piss off ^_^

How sweet. :P

Edit: And here are GameSpy's GotY awards. I'm just going to compile them together in the original post later.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 10:46:07 AM »

Bahh I swear GoW won the originality thing...but *shrug* I wasnt thinking well last night.

And I dunno, I played my friends TP for awhile, and I just wasnt really that impressed.  I mean its an ok game, but *shrugs*

And I only think Dead Rising deserves any awards it gets cause im a zombie fan...*shrug*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: