Author Topic: Fallout 4

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
@ ZeronH and D -- Thanks for getting back to me about the inventory inquiry the other day. Sorry I wasn't more prudent with my response (working like a demon this week, klyde is). And double thanks for the tips and making me feel more comfy with my approach/experience not being ass-nine. On that note, I will say that with a combo of all info offered herein by you guys there has been a real dent struck in how frustrating the menu surfing is. I hope there is a way to expand the shared inventory of workbenches as in Sanctuary, to other locals.

A shared workbench inventory that extended beyond sanctuary would make tons of sense here.

I was figuring this more like an ultimate vault hunter mode from borderlands style of enemy levels, where they are your level and simply go up when you level up.

I hate when enemy level scales with my own. Really takes the air out of the whole character progression for me to some extent. The worst case of this is when it actually makes things more difficult and unbalanced when you become too leveled.

(OPINION INCOMING)--Difficulty should scale with progress but NOT with progression of my level. It simply undermines leveling up to a greater or lesser degree depending. Now there are exceptions to this rule for me. A GOOD game will have other elements/mechanics inherent with leveling that still yield a distinct sense of strength/advantage over lesser enemies but this being pulled off right has proven to be the exception and not the rule (Borderlands 2 was a prime example of level scaling done right by my measure)
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
@ ZeronH and D -- Thanks for getting back to me about the inventory inquiry the other day. Sorry I wasn't more prudent with my response (working like a demon this week, klyde is). And double thanks for the tips and making me feel more comfy with my approach/experience not being ass-nine. On that note, I will say that with a combo of all info offered herein by you guys there has been a real dent struck in how frustrating the menu surfing is. I hope there is a way to expand the shared inventory of workbenches as in Sanctuary, to other locals.

A shared workbench inventory that extended beyond sanctuary would make tons of sense here.

I was figuring this more like an ultimate vault hunter mode from borderlands style of enemy levels, where they are your level and simply go up when you level up.

I hate when enemy level scales with my own. Really takes the air out of the whole character progression for me to some extent. The worst case of this is when it actually makes things more difficult and unbalanced when you become too leveled.

(OPINION INCOMING)--Difficulty should scale with progress but NOT with progression of my level. It simply undermines leveling up to a greater or lesser degree depending. Now there are exceptions to this rule for me. A GOOD game will have other elements/mechanics inherent with leveling that still yield a distinct sense of strength/advantage over lesser enemies but this being pulled off right has proven to be the exception and not the rule (Borderlands 2 was a prime example of level scaling done right by my measure)

FFTactics was a good example of overleveling being detrimental. Enemies scaled to your level,but being that equipment had finite caps, being level 50+ with starter gear just made encounters stupidly hard (fun in my opinion). Borderlands was cool about scaling since it threw weapons and shields and such at you constantly, so you were never outclassed unless you went and fought stuff that was over your level. If fallout continues the way I hope it does, then gear shouldn't be an issue.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2015, 08:08:02 PM »

From, but I'm referring to more of an rpg standpoint where you walk into encounters with enemies far over your level or capabilities at that point. I mean do you stop seeing raiders and super mutants and only start seeing raider wastelanders and super mutant skirmishers later (whichever name is next in the chain), or does that happen in later areas, or do the enemies have an innate level that scales alongside you so you're never that overpowered compared to them?

From what I can tell enemy power in this game is...weird to ultimately determine.

-I know that certain enemy levels/types are particular to certain regions. I.E: Outside of scripted events you're not going to see Raiders in Deathclaw parts of the map because...well...Deathclaws. I believe this applies to enemy hierarchy scaling as well. I.E: You're not going to see anything stronger than a Super Mutant Brute (not counting random spawn legendaries) around Diamond City or stronger than a Feral Stalker around the police station. But as you move farther and farther from the 'core' area of the map enemy types, levels, and hierarchies will go upwards. Fallout games are traditionally organized so that level/powers static the moment you boot up the game. New Vegas for example, that Legendary Deathclaw in the hidden pass will always have the same stats no matter if you're level 1 or 50; but you have to go way out of your way to get into that kinda trouble before it's beatable.

-The difficulty setting appears to randomize this a bit though. Higher difficulties = a greater randomization of 'stronger' hierarchies into the area. Especially when it comes to the 'Legendary' modifier.

-That said...certain things in this game DO scale with level. I.E: There's a certain power armor suit that will only spawn in a certain chest when you're level 20+. And considering I've had areas I've cleared out before suddenly 'refresh' upon game reboot I'm wondering if the enemies in those specific spots behave the same as well in terms of scaling since they seem to act more like MMO Spawns than the rest of the normal enemy set. I'll revisit them every 5 levels or so and see if their hierarchy ever changes.

Short Hand Version
: Generally just treat the path between Sanctuary and Diamond city as 'the starter zone lv 1-10'. The further out you go from that point, odds are the tougher the enemies are proportional to the distance.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »
Finally made to Diamond City at level 14. Had to turn a blind eye to a few things on the way. Are any quests missable if I progress like that?

EXAMPLE: right before diamond city I picked up a distress signal from a tower and chose to go to the city first. Will doing things like this cost me the chance to say, go back now and tend to that distress signal? I couldn't take it anymore. I had to move on!!! LoL
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »

Didn't see this earlier, sorries. In order to extend your inventory to other towns you have to be a bit silly. First construct a Settlement Recruitment Beacon (don't forget to turn it on after~). Technically you can do this with some of your party members but it just makes more sense to have NPCs do this. Once you have a few spare NPCs laying around (anywhere from 6-7 total population should do nicely) go into crafting mode and hunt one of them down (or just use the Bell). When facing an NPC in crafting mode there will be some button commands at the bottom of your screen.

You use this for assigning them to jobs locally too, but what you're looking for is the command prompt for 'Supply Line'. Once you hit this your map should pop up with a list of other locations you use as settlements. Pick one, send Skippy on their way, and their status should turn into 'Provisioner'.

Now your inventory is shared with that other settlement. Rinse/repeat for each spot you wanna use.

Finally made to Diamond City at level 14. Had to turn a blind eye to a few things on the way. Are any quests missable if I progress like that?

I'm pretty, pretty sure there are no time sensitive quests in Fallout 4. There hasn't been any since the old Water Chip quest in the original Fallout. It used to even have a time cap on the Super Mutant invasion after that but even Bethesda was like "...this sucks." and patched it out in later releases so you could enjoy the game in full. That one particular distress signal quest 'should' still be there as the plot progresses but I believe it's dialog may change depending on how far into the story you get because...reasons. >.>

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
There are time-sensitive quests, yes. I know cuz I failed one. However I only think they become time-sensitive once they're underway.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »
Good to know. X-x

Oh, I also forgot to mention putting people on supply lines requires the first rank of the Local Leader perk.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
There are time-sensitive quests, yes. I know cuz I failed one. However I only think they become time-sensitive once they're underway.
I'm quoting myself on this because I wanna make sure no one does what I did, but at the same time I don't wanna spoil story or surprises for people.

So spoilers!!!

Code: [Select]
The first mission at greentop nursery where you need to aave the guys wife I think. Once you start it, you gotta go and deal with it soon, so if you're messing around or such, DO NOT SPEAK TO HIM OR GO THERE!!! I let it run for a couple in game days and she died it seems, and I failed the mission.
If you want to be safe, do not begin quests unless you are ready to complete them. You can get the quests it seems, but do not start the first objective. I have left a few quests from the start alone since I began playing (besides the diamond city one I mean) and nothing negative has arisen from them. If I ruined anything for anyone with this I'm sorry, but I feel like it needed to be said for those of us who didn't wanna accidentally fail a mission cuz they got sidetracked.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
Little side discovery this afternoon. Apparently one of the most powerful weapons in the game isn't a gauntlet crafted from the waste's toughest beasts, not a (nearly) fully modded unique Laser Pistol, not even a full set quad barreled missile launcher...

It's a freaking switchblade.

Some random drop off a legendary, it gains damage per consecutive hit and only has one mod-slot to add bleeding damage. Mixed with its super fast attack speed and very low AP-per-hit requirement...the output it just insane. I'm pretty much running up to high-end Mirelurks and shiving them to death.

...funny thing is when I finally get around to using Power Armor this will still be my weapon of choice. Ai yah the dissonance.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
I've been having a lot of success with the combat shotgun decked out V.A.T.S. abuse. Headshots with the shotgun up close seem to stop everything. In the case of higher tier enemies, i usually snipe from afar with a .50 calibur hunting rifle and switch to my legendary explosive submachine gun. I actually haven't done much with melee yet, though I have a shitload of legendary melee weapons.

One question I have, though, is what's a good way to build up my ammo supply? I have a shitload of .38 rounds and plenty of .308, .45, .50, and 10mm, but .44 and shotgun shells are very rare. I mean not as rare as missiles or mini nukes or even cryolator ammo, but yeah I always seem to be skimping on shotgun shells. At leas the .44 rounds are less important right now cuz I barely use the .44 handgun but that could change...mebbe.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Aside from poking into weapon shops, just keep looting everything, anything, and have enough Lockpicking & Hacking skill to open from Novice-Master level asap. I'm sitting on about 280-ish Shotgun Shells and 300+ .44's just from packratting. Think generally you're just at the mercy of what enemies feel like spawning with though. I have about 1000+ each of 10mm and .308 rounds but can never get Gammas to drop for the life of me.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:20 AM »
The adhesive need serious, yo.

TASTY!

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
im early in the game and having severe inventory issues ive dropped off junk but i still fill up quick. is there somewhere i can sell weapons or something?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
There's a diner mildly south(east?) ish of Concord. Most of the time you'll hit it pretty easily if you're just starting to make a beeline from Con to the old bridge crossing the northern river on your way to Diamond City. Although really your best bet is just going to Diamond City so you have a fast travel point to multiple merchants.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
im early in the game and having severe inventory issues ive dropped off junk but i still fill up quick. is there somewhere i can sell weapons or something?
Dismantle old guns you don't use at a weapon workbench. There is a perk which gives you better items from the dismantling too. I'm an item hoarder so I know your pain with inventory management. I never have free space, but I now have 5 full sets of power armor and spare pieces for the next frame I steal, and enough guns to stock the entire brotherhood, lol.

TASTY!