Author Topic: Fallout 4

pseudonym

• View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
Nothing screams "buy me!" from what's been shown so far, and I'm not excited about the Boston location. I'll wait a while before passing judgment though.

I'm glad that the environment in Fallout 4 appears to be more diverse. While I understand that the desert is part of the motif in New Vegas, I feel that it needed some more diversity in certain parts. Granted, maybe the lack of diversity is what they were going for due to it being a desert. I'm glad that Bethesda is biting the bullet and going full boar in accepting the first person shooter aspect of what Fallout has become. New Vegas did a better job at it than Fallout 3, so here's hoping it will be more polished in Fallout 4. On the flip side, I'm glad that they are going to reward those who want to still use V.A.T.S with more punishing-induced shots (if I remember correctly).

At the end of it, like you, I'm going to wait on it before I buy it. I want to make sure all the game-crippling "bugs" are fixed before I purchase it.

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
It shows on their webiste that preloading is underway on the xbox one but I'm not seeing anything downloading...Or do they push this out in "waves"?

Nevermind, found out what the issue was:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/11/06/fallout-4-xbox-one-stub-file-preload-issue/

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1542664-pre-ordered-fallout-4-digitally-on-xbox-one-please-read/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:41:56 AM by Datastorm »
doh

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »
I feel like the odd one out when it comes to Fallout's evolution. I abhor the shift into Shooter-genre territory. Post-apocalyptic shooters are already a dime a dozen. Although to be fair since Fallout shifted from PC to being a Console-primary thing I can see why it happened.

So far that's really going to be my only negative going into this.

I love the lore build up, I like the location, the customization, and since F4 will be probably one of, if not the first, to basically allow literal Mods on a console title...sold. I just really hope they've finally figured out how to solve the Paragon/Renegade problem of "Same story but just a different shade of paint" that new-gen Fallouts have been plagued by.

3, of course, had the infamous "The ending is always the same" regardless of if you're a saint or a jerk...(Or if you had a Mutant ally that could've just laughed off the radiation).

New Vegas virtually had nothing there for pursuing a Caesar's Legion route (despite pushing NCR vs Legion as the main dichotomy). You basically have to mod the hell out of the PC version to get anything even resembling that.

So...here's hoping for a good and proper 'evil route'. Still waiting for something to top Soul Nomad in that department.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
My review will go live tomorrow morning.  Please look forward to it! 

Datastorm

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 05:12:13 AM »
How the heck are you able to review it already? It isn't even out yet lol
doh

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 06:46:18 AM »
I imagine he got a review copy.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
I imagine he got a review copy.

Correct!
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
Here's Rob's review!

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Fallout_4/index.html

And yep, we got a review copy from Bethesda.  We don't get them for every game, but we love it when we're able to provide a review right away. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
EDIT: I'm blind

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »
its this game a good entry point for someones that never played fallout? i've never been a fan of fps rpg's because i believe rpg's are a very visual experience. though they showed a 3rd person mode at e3 so i'm mildly interested.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
Pretty much every main-line Fallout game except for (maybe) 2 has always been designed as an 'entry point' per say. Anything you know about the overall lore helps. Previous games will give you extra insight and a free pass to some meta-knowledge and jokes. But I can't think of a single title where you'd play it and have to go "...wait, what?" due to lack of prior gaming experience.

Anything that happens in past titles that you 'need' to know usually gets summarized pretty quickly.

Is just how they're designed. <3

Also, as an aside, Fallout 3 and New Vegas have third person modes too. Which you can use pretty freely since a majority of combat is VATS oriented anyway.

Aside #2: If you want a quick spritz on the lore to enjoy passively, I highly suggest a series called 'The Storyteller'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqm_pPD-aQ&index=1&list=PL7pGJQV-jlzD17YNNbt103xp0PkkUCoPU

If you watch the first two seasons you pretty much get every bit of Fallout Lore you'll ever need to know. But of course...major Spoiler Warnings for Fallout 1 through New Vegas. XD But it'll do in a few hours what you'd get from weeks of playing the other 4 games in the main line.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:54:05 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »
Here's Rob's review!

And yep, we got a review copy from Bethesda.  We don't get them for every game, but we love it when we're able to provide a review right away. :)

Nice review, Rob. I'm honestly not surprised that 4 hasn't done much in the way of innovation.  Bethesda's had a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality for years. IIRC, they said they were mostly concerned with packing the game with content... I guess at the expense of introducing anything relatively new.

That being said, I will buy this game, and I will love it. Although, I'm going to wait a year or so for the almost-inevitable GotY version. By then, it'll be cheaper, have more (if not all) of the DLC content included, and the mod availability will be ridiculous. I've plenty of back log to keep me busy in the meantime.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
Here's Rob's review!

Nice review, Rob. I'm honestly not surprised that 4 hasn't done much in the way of innovation.  Bethesda's had a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality for years. IIRC, they said they were mostly concerned with packing the game with content... I guess at the expense of introducing anything relatively new.

That being said, I will buy this game, and I will love it. Although, I'm going to wait a year or so for the almost-inevitable GotY version. By then, it'll be cheaper, have more (if not all) of the DLC content included, and the mod availability will be ridiculous. I've plenty of back log to keep me busy in the meantime.

Ditto. In the meantime, I'll just have to avoid articles and whatnot spoiling easter eggs and other hidden stuff.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
Glad y'all liked the review!  I think you'll have fun with it if you like the Bethesda style of RPG.  It's got lots to see and do, and it's certainly an interesting world to lose yourself in.  I think they need to shake things up the future, however.  It's kinda weird to be playing with the same basic mechanics since Oblivion. 

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2015, 05:12:45 PM »
I feel like the odd one out when it comes to Fallout's evolution. I abhor the shift into Shooter-genre territory. Post-apocalyptic shooters are already a dime a dozen. Although to be fair since Fallout shifted from PC to being a Console-primary thing I can see why it happened.

I know how you feel but reports in reviews out today say that this is still a vats dependent shooter since the shooter aspect is a bit wonky still. Which is fine, because I love vats. I was worried about the removal of the skills system but it work more or less in skyrim and it turns out it works here as well. The perk system is a bit more intuitive as well. How much damage/accuracy do you gain from raising small guns from 30 to 50 points? On the other hand, you know exactly how much damage/accuracy you gain when you level up a gun perk.