Author Topic: Fallout 4

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
God dammit... I'm going to spend over 2 hours on the character creation screen ain't I?

https://www.facebook.com/GameSpot/videos/10156251665385436/

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
Nice review, Rob. I'm honestly not surprised that 4 hasn't done much in the way of innovation.  Bethesda's had a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality for years. IIRC, they said they were mostly concerned with packing the game with content... I guess at the expense of introducing anything relatively new.

You're surprised?  Bethesda has been churning out the same game with tweaks since Daggerfall.  This has been going on for 20 years now.  Why would they stop now?

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 01:57:41 AM »
Nice review, Rob. I'm honestly not surprised that 4 hasn't done much in the way of innovation.  Bethesda's had a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality for years. IIRC, they said they were mostly concerned with packing the game with content... I guess at the expense of introducing anything relatively new.

You're surprised?  Bethesda has been churning out the same game with tweaks since Daggerfall.  This has been going on for 20 years now.  Why would they stop now?

No, he isn't surprised, reread it.

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2015, 02:18:51 AM »
Somehow I missed the 'not'.  Reading is hard.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 02:53:05 AM »
Only about 30 minutes in. I derped and didn't realize the last character you edit at start locks in the gender. XP More clarity would be nice.

Three impressions.

-Holy *horn* Radroaches are finally threatening.

-...where the hell are all the bobby pins?

-Oh *bark* me, that stupid computer password game is back. ~.~

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »
Only about 30 minutes in. I derped and didn't realize the last character you edit at start locks in the gender. XP More clarity would be nice.

Three impressions.

-Holy *horn* Radroaches are finally threatening.

-...where the hell are all the bobby pins?

-Oh *bark* me, that stupid computer password game is back. ~.~

I derped twice my friend, don't feel bad. I will echo my comment in the game journal now though and say, after 3 solid rounds with it, that character editor is top notch. This is BIG for me.

Slightly higher praise for the female model simply because, while both are easy enough to make aesthetic, I typically find it tougher to make female characters (personally) look the way I am aiming.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 10:52:51 PM »
Caved and bought this tonight (Being around Boston area gamers all day makes it pretty hard to just ignore.) Underestimated how long it would take to install and now work tomorrow is never going to end.

((Mind you it's not like I could actually afford the game, but my attitude towards money has reached the point of "Fuck it, whatever" status))
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:55:32 PM by Klutz64 »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
Caved and bought this tonight (Being around Boston area gamers all day makes it pretty hard to just ignore.) Underestimated how long it would take to install and now work tomorrow is never going to end.

((Mind you it's not like I could actually afford the game, but my attitude towards money has reached the point of "Fuck it, whatever" status))

I had to adopt the same irresponsible stance on finances myself to make the purchase. Some LARGE costs earlier on monday with very little to spare thereafter left me feeling impulsive, a bit btiter, and broke. I fell prey to the "hype" around 1 Am as the next calendar date rolled in and I knew I could buy instantly thanks to the midnight release.

I've only put in a few hours but I can safely say this was a great irresponsible decision by my measure. Have no prior fallout experience, going in blind, this game is all sorts of amazing.

Best part, I gambled the 60 coins back into my pocket so now I can play guilt free **wipes sweat from brow**

The moral of the story?? TWO irresponsible decisions (buy game can't afford + gambling ) equates to one POSITIVE GUILT FREE RESULT (DISCLAIMER: I assume no responsibility for anyone who ever listens to the nonsense I spout, or worse yet follows suit.)

THE GAME As a first time Fallout player, the sense of discovery here is absolutely amazing. I can't help but feel both excited and at the same time overwhelmed. It feels as though every new direction I look yields something else to do. I've played 4 hours or so and done nothing aside from learn about how to play and still don't have a grasp of it really. Normally this would be a criticism and while I do feel they could have fleshed some things out with tutorials, nothing is so obtuse that I can't figure it out ---- thing is, figuring stuff out here makes me feel an element of survival that lends to the games atmosphere and experience perfectly.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:41:40 PM by Klyde Chroma »

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »
So...that was quite a chain of events that just happened. Restarted my game for the fourth time now (mixture of the initial gender flub and a series of builds I just wasn't happy with early on; I still haven't seen past early Diamond City). Got bored of trying to speed through the early story stuff leading up to it so decided to roam out East of the starting point.

-First was just a bit of amusement. Dug through some random underground satellite dish base and deal with a raider nest. Much to my surprise after clearing the area, getting the needed key, and poking the 'treasure room' I found a Mini Nuke sitting smack dab in the open. Took me a bit by surprise because this isn't even 30 minutes into gameplay. Pretty sure this qualifies as the fastest non-cheesy way in any of the Fallout games to get access to that type of ammo this early on.

-And then, not 10 minutes of walking further east, stumbled across a mini-raider camp with a named mob. A power-armor clad psychopath named 'Boomer'. Learned how he got his name real quick. Took a shot at me with what looked like a Missile Launcher for pretty much an instant death. Reloaded, figured I could maybe sneak a shot off at the reactor core (which is instant death for any armor wearer it seems). But after the first volley, which lit up the bridge behind me like an eruption, he stopped using the thing. Guess he only had one shot. Since he went pure melee after that I just Benny Hilled his rear (got the other raiders with some Molotov's) and finished the fight.

That Missile Launcer? It was a Fat Man. So now I have nuclear combat power less than 2% of the way into a Fallout game...this feels wrong.

-So I felt trecking east. Mauled some Mirelurks, found a key-locked bunker, then came upon the remains of a little town called Lynn Woods. Looked like the sight of a raider hit and wouldn't you know it...no sooner had I thought this than two elites and one regular show up to cause trouble. Being only level 8 or so there's only so much the old shotgun can do. Thankfully there's a pretty handy watch tower up here I can scale and form a little chokepoint. Especially since more of these guys are showing up. Decide to beat it to the top, see if there's any goodies up there, and if all else fails I can start chucking Molotovs down the steps. There's some decent, but common supplies up top and a funny little switch tower. Being my normal curious self, I poke it...

Turns out my little switch connected to a pre-war air raid siren. That sucker goes off and sends a shrill yelp across the wasteland they probably heard all the way down in the capitol grounds. Didn't figure it would be much of a problem. After all every raider this side of the river already knew there was a lone idiot and her dog causing trouble. I head back down and get ready to play a few rounds of pot-shot when suddenly there's this growl. Not the mutt's growling either, something more than a little feral. The kind that shakes old windows out of their aged seals. Raiders start dropping like flies and soon as I turn to look out the barred portholes I get my answer.

If you guessed 'Deathclaw' you'd be half right. But that electric banshee didn't summon just any garden variety reaper lizard...it brought in the twice-damned Alpha Male of all things. With a little 'regular' sized buddy to boot. As if having an Alpha dropped on my head wasn't trouble enough. Mercifully a body as powerful as that tends to be far too big to stick anything but a head through human-sized entry ways. Watched them from the top of the tower for a while, after shutting off the alarm so I didn't bring down a ghoul-nado right after, knowing my luck so far. Persistent things paced back and forth across the length of the town, showing no intentions of taking off and giving me a clean exit anytime soon. So what can you do? I settled in, took stock, weighed my options...and formed a crazy idea.

I had one giant bullet devouring problem on my doorstep. But I also had one little Fat Man who liked to consume problems of any size. Aimed, prayed...and the devil actually took the shot head on; albeit not without serious consequences to his own well being. And a dead compardre to boot, leaving me with a mostly dead and all pissed off hellsnake. Minigun versus the harbinger of death itself. You might recall tales of vexation and nightmares of rookie travelers pitting their critter guns and peashooters against Blowflies out in the Mohave. For every buzzer someone downed about twenty or more bullets paid the cost. A tiny, swift target that God put only on this earth to make mankind burn through his copper and lead reserves all the quicker. You'd think a building high beast would be an easier target...you'd be wrong friend.

You blink and suddenly it's ten feet to the side of where it was before. Moving in unpredictable, diagonal bounds; covering massive tracks of land in a single stride. And this is AFTER it's taken a bucket-load of processed uranium straight to the forehead. Any closer and I'd probably have another line of manged flesh crossing across the old nose line. ...but somehow, mercifully, good old Mini held more than enough ammunition to pay the 20:1 trade tariff. Can't say I ever beat a faster trail back to home after that.

So if you decide to roam out east in the Commonwealth, bring your finest Power Armor, bring your artillery, bring enough stimpacks and Radaway to survive a trip right through a reactor's heart.

But unless you've got yourself a desire to see your insides turned out and discover that, yes, 10 Tons of muscle CAN outrun a speeding bullet...

Don't. Trigger. The Siren.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2015, 11:53:31 AM »
just started the game...oh god the giant roaches make me....i desperately looked for a path to avoid them....the fact i had to fight them with punches was making my skin crawl..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:56:21 AM by Alisha »

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
just started the game...oh god the giant roaches make me....i desperately looked for a path to avoid them....the fact i had to fight them with punches was making my skin crawl..

It's easy enough to miss, but if you check the table tops shortly after you enter that section of the vault there's a nice little Security Baton that auto-equips. :3 Sure it's just a stick...but better than hands right?

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »

-And then, not 10 minutes of walking further east, stumbled across a mini-raider camp with a named mob. A power-armor clad psychopath named 'Boomer'. Learned how he got his name real quick. Took a shot at me with what looked like a Missile Launcher for pretty much an instant death. Reloaded, figured I could maybe sneak a shot off at the reactor core (which is instant death for any armor wearer it seems). But after the first volley, which lit up the bridge behind me like an eruption, he stopped using the thing. Guess he only had one shot. Since he went pure melee after that I just Benny Hilled his rear (got the other raiders with some Molotov's) and finished the fight.

That Missile Launcer? It was a Fat Man. So now I have nuclear combat power less than 2% of the way into a Fallout game...this feels wrong.

Just happened to me too during one of my first "off the beaten trail" outtings. Felt like a hero picking off Boomer and grabbing that gear.... after he blew me to smitherines of course (didn't excpect that type of firepower coming my way whence I first happened acroos the camp).

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2015, 08:56:47 PM »
I found a Fat Man off a regular Power Armor Raider in Lexington. Helped me out a lot at the Corvega Assembly Plant.

Speaking of which, anyone know where the safe is in that building? Got the key off Jared but can't find the damn safe anywhere.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2015, 05:15:57 AM »
This bad boy is getting streamed on RPGFan's twitch channel tomorrow. Don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to it :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 05:29:22 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
@ZeronHitaro You could get a fatman and mini-nuke about as fast in fallout 3 if you knew where to look and made a beatline straight to it immediately after existing the vault. Kind of pointless though since its massive overkill that early in the game.