Author Topic: Fallout 4

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:31 PM »
So i've been playing this for a couple days now...and yes I abused the item duping a bit. Honestly, the game is fun as fuck, but it's doing the same thing oblivion did to me. I feel unsatisfied playing alone...like I should be doing this with a group. It's awesome, but saddening at the same time...

TASTY!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2015, 07:56:57 PM »
Alright, can someone explain to me like I am truly an idiot about the finer points of resource/inventory management.

I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Haven't got very far yet because I'm completing side crap I come across all over the map, but here is a rundown of my routine.

Go out do sidequests I discover. Load up on loot. Go back to current base of operations when my load capacity reaches its limits. Drop of junk in workbench. Put weapons in weapon bench and armor in armor bench (respectively). Choose from loot new equips and mod. Store old ones. Head out again. (Lather rinse repeat)

Thing is, I load up pretty quick and found myself doing this A LOT. Like I have a serious fuck-ton of weapons, apparel, junk et cetera.... Is this how it is supposed to be?

I think its time I turn a blind eye to hoarding for a minute and just move on to, at least, diamond city. Its been like 15 hours and I still haven't even gone there yet.

For someone who has never really played an open world/sandbox game such as this, the world just feels so massive with so much to uncover. I'm discovering real quick my typical gaming habits need be amended for this type of game or I won't get anywhere.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »
It took me ages to figure this out too. Part of it is the stuff you pick up in Misc, very very rarely, actually has weight. So that slowly builds up over time and you really don't wanna dump it because that's the quest folder (to be fair I think you'll only ever get an extra 5-10 from it). The other one, that's if it's the same for you, you're gonna kick yourself for.

Store your Nuka Cola.

That stuff eats up 1 PER BOTTLE. X-x

Also build a storage container purely for Chem and Food storage. You don't think about it but every 10 of Med-X, Buffout, ect = 1 carry pound. If you store everything but the Stimpacks, Purified Water, Rad-X, and Rad-Away you'd be surprised just how many pounds that opens up.

But yeah...even with all that pack ratting in this game gets out of control fast. My Aid, Weapons, Apparel, and Misc takes up about 160~ currently. Leaving me with about 120 to pick up other stuff. It fills up usually every half hour or so. This game WANTS you to take the carry weight perk pretty badly. X-x

Edit: Also, you can use your companions for about 100-ish of storage each if you want to minimize trips.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:19:11 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
Alright, can someone explain to me like I am truly an idiot about the finer points of resource/inventory management.

I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Haven't got very far yet because I'm completing side crap I come across all over the map, but here is a rundown of my routine.

Go out do sidequests I discover. Load up on loot. Go back to current base of operations when my load capacity reaches its limits. Drop of junk in workbench. Put weapons in weapon bench and armor in armor bench (respectively). Choose from loot new equips and mod. Store old ones. Head out again. (Lather rinse repeat)

Thing is, I load up pretty quick and found myself doing this A LOT. Like I have a serious fuck-ton of weapons, apparel, junk et cetera.... Is this how it is supposed to be?

I think its time I turn a blind eye to hoarding for a minute and just move on to, at least, diamond city. Its been like 15 hours and I still haven't even gone there yet.

For someone who has never really played an open world/sandbox game such as this, the world just feels so massive with so much to uncover. I'm discovering real quick my typical gaming habits need be amended for this type of game or I won't get anywhere.
To save you some effort, the storage in sanctuary hills seems to be joint, meaning putting stuff in the weapon workbench makes it available in all the benches. Same thing for using resources for crafting or basebuilding, dumping it in the storage for any of the crafting stations makes it available for crafting and basebuilding everywhere. This does not, however, make it available in other safezones.

Also, this is EXACTLY how I'm playing. Enjoy it man, this game is gonna be worth every penny when I'm done with it.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
I also forgot about another easy helper tool here for hoarding.

Mod all your Armor pieces with the 'Pocketed' trait. :3

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
Listening to the podcast, I guess some of you may want to know about this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/?

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
I can see that being useful if you're trying to run with a very specific mindset. Personally though I've never had issues with the dialog system.

X/Bottom is almost always - Paladin answer.
Square/Left is always - Good, but Mercenary.
Triangle/Top is usually - More info? or Medium-Mean
Circle/Right is almost always - Super-mean/Renegade.

I'd certainly not recommend that mod for the first few times through because the surprise factor of using 'Sarcastic' is too great to ruin in advance.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »
I can't link it right now, but there is a Mini Nuke teddy bear mod that makes every one of them fired play the "AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA" meme.

This is far and away the most glorious mod ever created, I desire it immensely.

TASTY!

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »
Am quite curious which ones are giving you grief.

So far none of the base loading screens at all I've seen count as spoilers. Even if you're new to Fallout they're all equivalent to saying 'Chocobos are in Final Fantasy. Chrono Trigger involves time travel.' Anything that 'is' a spoiler-ish one seems to appear after you've been somewhere that they exist already. (Spoiler Free Phrasing Example: After you visit a certain type of 'bed' in Good Neighbor it starts showing up on your loading screen rotation.) So I'm wondering if perhaps it's something you've bumped into/passed by and just didn't realize it.

Speaking of, forget Diamond City being the 'kicking off point' for this game. (Not to mention a middle finger to bug-lord Abbot and his 'Always busy.' quest error glitch.) Good Neighbor is what finally sold me on this finally feeling like a Fallout game.

Also as another aside, so far my only major complaint about this game is starting it is...horrifically slow. If you focus on all the perks needed for making your own stuff, you're spending 20+ levels with virtually zero investment to back up your play style. If you go after your playstyle perks then you get jack squat for crafting and are at the mercy of drops (since caps come in at a dire trickle and sell back values in this game are pants on head terrible). Unlike any of the other Fallout games, where it feels like you can experience a fresh build/perspective even within the hour after a new game (New Vegas for example, I can feel the drastic difference between a talker and a derp-puncher as early as Primm), Fallout 4 feels like it'll take DAYS to establish a new foothold.

...that's pretty wretched for convincing me to replay this thing ever.

Mega compelled to agree with you on the slow start stuff. Once again, without having played the other fallout titles I'm not drawing comparison but I've played for 10 hours and still don't feel like I've even scratched the surface of what I want to do with my character.

As for my initial bitching about the loading screens, I will reiterate and say they are NOT spoiling the narrative for me but rather the cool gameplay mechanics and features I would prefer to discover myself. To put it plainly, I wanted everything to be as much a surprise as possible. I purposely dodged videos, previews and most ANY media leading up to release for this. I did not play any other fallout titles. Then, before I erect a wall I know about building. Before I get a dog I know about companions. I know about facial reconstruction and have yet to discover that one, which would have been a huge "excitement" factor in terms of game-play icing so to speak (I love me my cosmetic options). And the list goes on, all as a result of the loading screen. I know most wouldn't consider it spoilerific but I get disturbed knowing things about mutants and ghouls before I have even killed anything bigger than a roach.

In short, I like to discover these little gameplay elements  as I go and be surprised by the addition of a new mechanic to tinker with. I also like the legit sense of shock when something huge or horrofic attacks that I had no prior knowledge of.

I know this complaint may seem stupid but you can really spoil a game for me without uttering a word about the story or script. I'd venture to guess this is a subjective problem of mine :/

- Keep clearing buildings only to find keys I can't find a use for.

Glad to know I am not the only one. LoL

On power armor a question???

How viable is it to keep progressing without whoring it out? I mean, I like roaming around the wasteland and WITHOUT the cumbersome gear. Doing fine so far, but I haven't exactly done much beyond just scratching the surface and I don't know if I should be getting using to traveling around in/with the gear or not.

I'd say Fallout 3 was superior in allowing players to natural discover elements of the game world than fallout 4. Heck, the whole wasteland survival guide  questline was in essence both an extended tutorial and a wait to point out areas for the player to explore. There were ways to skip parts of the main story and other ways to quickly get late game weapons and armor. The DC ruins were scary at low level with so many super mutants, god forbid you ran into a super mutant with a minigun. Deathclaws at low level would obliterate you if you didn't rush to get the right gear. Gone are the days when just finding power armor and discovering how to use it was an adventure in itself.

Fallout 4 seems instead to have turn fallout into skyrim. Most of the challenge in the game comes from boss encounters (which a significantly stronger version of normal enemies like humans, ghouls, mutants, etc) Which is disappointing.

As for perks, again, it follows skyrim where your forced to either focus on your combat perks or crafting perks. Typically I try for a mix of both. In Fallout 4's case, I think its best to leave the extensive modding for latter in the game and just use what weapons you get. No point turning a pistol into a rifle when your going to find that rifle as loot anyway.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2015, 08:14:50 AM »
I've never played a fallout title before, but I have enough experience with first person shooters and rpgs in general to feel comfortable exploring everywhere and backing away from tough encounters. My only real gripe with the exploring is not knowing the difficulty of the enemies I'm dealing with. I got into a fight with a mirelurk queen that ravaged me, it had a skull next to its name. However I fought a super mutant with a skull next to his name that I easily took care of. Borderlands was cool about it with levels next to enemy names, wish they did it here. At the same time though, V.A.T.S. gives me an idea of what kind of damage I'll do per shot so it's almost similar.

Course, power armor is helping significantly is most encounters so I feel like a beast anyway.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:45 AM »
From the sound of it the game has told you, you just haven't caught onto the pattern yet. It's all in the naming.

For example. (Not the full chain of enemy types.)

Super Mutant < Super Mutant Brute < Super Mutant Master

Softshell Mirelurk < Glowing Mirelurk < Mirelurk Queen

So something higher up the archetype chain, like the Mirelurk Queen, is going to be vastly more difficult than a plain-jane Super Mutant. The skull is merely there to say 'This enemy is a higher level than you are.' Partly for power labeling, mostly for telling you 'Pacification will not work'.

For a more generic example your Mirelurk Queen is a Blastoise and the Super Mutant is a Bulbasaur. Even if they're both Level 50 one is going to hurt vastly more than the other because 'higher evolution'.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:40:29 AM by ZeronHitaro »

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
For a more generic example your Mirelurk Queen is a Blastoise and the Super Mutant is a Bulbasaur. Even if they're both Level 50 one is going to hurt vastly more than the other because 'higher evolution'.

And thus began the mad dash to "catch 'em all" in the wasteland. ;)

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »

And thus began the mad dash to "catch 'em all" in the wasteland. ;)

...dang it...I'm going to have to play the intro during random bits of Fallout-combat now...and I just KNOW it's going to sync up...X-x;

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
Did anybody else feel that the Combat Zone made no sense? To me it felt like they had to dummy out an arena questline at short notice. The character who joins up at the end, though badass, has zero motivation to do so.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »
From the sound of it the game has told you, you just haven't caught onto the pattern yet. It's all in the naming.

For example. (Not the full chain of enemy types.)

Super Mutant < Super Mutant Brute < Super Mutant Master

Softshell Mirelurk < Glowing Mirelurk < Mirelurk Queen

So something higher up the archetype chain, like the Mirelurk Queen, is going to be vastly more difficult than a plain-jane Super Mutant. The skull is merely there to say 'This enemy is a higher level than you are.' Partly for power labeling, mostly for telling you 'Pacification will not work'.

That's just an enemy hierarchy though, I get it more or less (can't specify which is which in the hierarchy), but I'm referring to more of an rpg standpoint where you walk into encounters with enemies far over your level or capabilities at that point. I mean do you stop seeing raiders and super mutants and only start seeing raider wastelanders and super mutant skirmishers later (whichever name is next in the chain), or does that happen in later areas, or do the enemies have an innate level that scales alongside you so you're never that overpowered compared to them? I was figuring this more like an ultimate vault hunter mode from borderlands style of enemy levels, where they are your level and simply go up when you level up.

TASTY!