Author Topic: Fallout 4

Datastorm

• View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
I will definitely play this. Even if it does end up feeling like a rehash of 3. I absolutely love 3, and unless there are some real bullshit changes, I'm pretty sure I will feel the same about this one.

To be fair, I will be playing it on PC. Bethesda games suck serious ass on consoles.

Interesting, worked beautiful on my 360:)
doh

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »
I also had no noticeable problems on 360.  I heard the PS3 port was problematic, but maybe that was just me being a fanboy at the time.  This time around, it'll definitely be PS4 for me, so I'm hoping all will be well.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
I also had no noticeable problems on 360.  I heard the PS3 port was problematic, but maybe that was just me being a fanboy at the time.  This time around, it'll definitely be PS4 for me, so I'm hoping all will be well.

As someone who bought the GOTY edition of Fallout 3 on the PS3 only for it to be unplayable in only a few days, I can assure you that there was no fanboying there.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Wonder what the odds of an isometric fallout are.

It's called Wasteland 2.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 02:49:08 AM »
I have only one wish for Fallout 4.

That the game actually works.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
I have only one wish for Fallout 4.

That the game actually works.

On consoles too.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
I will definitely play this. Even if it does end up feeling like a rehash of 3. I absolutely love 3, and unless there are some real bullshit changes, I'm pretty sure I will feel the same about this one.

To be fair, I will be playing it on PC. Bethesda games suck serious ass on consoles.

Interesting, worked beautiful on my 360:)

Interesting, indeed.
I realize I probably came across as a "Master Race" type, but I've seriously had MUCH less problems with F3 on my computer than I did on my 360. My 360 copy absolutely loved to stutter, and freeze/lock up entirely. Even at relatively quiet times. Can't count how many times I had to do a hard restart of the system. It runs like a dream on my computer, though.
Same deal with Skyrim. Skyrim did perform better than F3 overall on the 360 (in my experience), but regardless, there's only so much game freezing and system restarting I can take. Like F3, it flows like water on my computer.
Not that Bethesda games never stutter or lock up on computers. However, in my experience, either of the ones I've mentioned have yet to, in hours of playing. I would imagine that even when they do, it usually doesn't (of course I can't say never) require a whole system reboot.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
That crafting....
https://youtu.be/SH8HGslrINU

http://imgur.com/gallery/e7eLf shorter, silenter version in gifs
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
Don't believe Todd Howard's lies!

I like what I see so far, a nice crafting system and SPECIAL is making it back in. Some people noticed a lack of Traits/Skills on the status screen though, so dunno what that's about. Also I'm not a fan of the choice to make a voiced protagonist + use of a conversation wheel. The effort they put into it is certainly impressive (Apparently they went and found like 1000 popular names so people could actually call you by name), but no matter what you do having a voiced protagonist still limits roleplaying options compared to just having everything written out.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm fine with a voiced protagonist, since I don't need a bajillion different experiences, I just need one that's actually worthwhile. If I have to have less dialogue options to make the ones that are there more memorable, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
To me the whole appeal of open world games like this is for you to be able to roleplay instead of being forced into being "generic family guy/girl in his 20s" which is likely what the voice (and the backstory) will be doing. Granted they might give us the option of turning the voice off but I'm guessing the dialogue choices will be written with this idea in mind.

Voicing your protagonist by its nature puts limits on how you're allowed to write dialogue as well as the volume of the dialogue due to costs. For example in Mass Effect, just about every single choice would give you one different line of dialogue which was written in a way so that the next line of dialogue would make sense regardless of whatever choice you made. This is without getting into the issue of the disconnect between paraphrasing and what your character actually ends up saying, but there are ways around that anyway so I hope they use them.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »
The second part I can understand, but even Mass Effect gave you back story and other voice options to stear your character to where you want them to go.

I'll admit, I can't say I can relate to your plight. If I wanted to make up my own characters, I'd put put them in their own story. I'd use my own tools and imagination, rather than trying to make someone else's story work for my own purposes. To me, the thought of roleplaying in someone else's world - trying to force my own ideas into someone else's vision - is a futile and counter-intuitive effort...but that's a conversation for another time. All I'm trying to say is: I get that it'd probably suck if what you want is to roleplay a character to have to make your character fit to the potentially more limited amount of personality archetypes that voiced dialogue could present.

I still don't think it's a very important issue, or that every RPG needs to follow that idea. Even a choose your own adventure book had limits. I like to see these games like Visual Novels - games where you get to see the what-ifs that a more linear story wouldn't touch upon.

...I hope I'm making myself clear, because I feel like half my brain is missing today. @~@

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
Tons of roleplaying games have had the setting created for you even from the tabletop days so I'm not even sure what you're saying with the whole futility bit. Obviously if I wanted a ton of flexibility I'd just go play a tabletop game but this isn't an either/or situation where you either have roleplaying or you don't. Nobody ever said that every RPG needs to follow that idea but Bethesda games always sell themselves as very roleplaying-centric games (Even in this presentation Todd Howard was doing his same old "you get to choose what you do" type of speech like he usually does) and the decision to have a voiced main character works against that idea.

It's certainly nothing that would ruin the game for me or anything, it's just an annoying trend because this has been happening to just about every big RPG series.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »
I'm...not sure what I was saying either, but but I'm sure I'll forget I wrote that in about 10 minutes, so...eh...

Ironically I meant to leave it at "I can't really relate to what you're saying since I suck at roleplaying and have since I was a kid, so I can't see it as anything other than a non-issue." Guess I should've gone with my gut instead of my incredibly fuzzy head. =P

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
I'm not sure how alone I am with this, but the appeal of sandbox games for me has been messing around and being a GOD. I'm mostly fine with everyone just shutting up and expressing their business in text boxes. The whole idea how the writing and stories are getting improved is the last thing I want in an RPG. The atmosphere and shameless freedom are the things that matter. In addition that the game actually works.