Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 16356 times)

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 06:51:12 PM »
A few tips for everyone starting out today/this week, in case they're useful:

• Undead Bone Shards: Burn every single one you get at the Shrine bonfire. Improved Estus Flasks.
  • Take advantage that you can allot your Ashen/Regular Estus Flasks as often as you want at the blacksmith.
  • When you first get to the Shrine, go poke around a bit: there's a few good things to find.
  • From talking with Rob, melee seems to be the easier route (he played melee, I played sorcerer). Bosses are rarely designed to give a caster the advantage, though most regular enemies were pretty easy take-downs with magic.
  • You can respec up to 5 times and reallocate all your points at a certain NPC found mid-game. So don't worry about making mistakes.
  • If you recruit an NPC who offers you a free level up, make sure you consider that this is Dark Souls and sometimes good things are not always so good (feel free to still take the level, the consequences can be undone).
  • All weapons now have Weapon Arts (effectively special abilities). Try a few out, because there are some useful ones.
  • Join as many covenants as you want. You can switch between them at will without penalty.

That's all I can think of for basic tips for now!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 07:28:10 AM »
@ Andrew -- Thanks for the tips man! So much in a Souls game can go overlooked altogether that little hints like these can go a long way.

I'm gonna add one I discovered yesterday whilst playing around with class selection.

• If you are new and having a brutal time with the first boss (which is all of 5-10 minutes in) try a different class. Depraved and Thief vs. First Boss = HARDER MODE big time. I died at least a dozen times as a thief before realizing this.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »
Sorcerer base class kicks that guy's butt. In the demo I played months ago I struggled as a cleric, but knocked him over before he could even get close with ranged magic for my review playthrough. One of the few times magic was beneficial in boss fights!

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »
The sad knight gave me something called collapse. What the fuck is that? I can't find it in my inventory. Also I beat that crystal asshole in the beginning. Fuck him.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 12:35:09 AM »
Collapse is an emote.

I am really enjoying this game. So far it is easier than the previous souls games, but the boss design is a lot better than Dark Souls II.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:54 AM »
Can you be invaded in firelink? Inwas walking out back to the starting area and there was a fog wall blocking me.... Thankfully it wwent away.  Also theres some naked guy that does a lot of bleeding damage outside firelink. I dont loke him

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 12:54:21 AM »
decided to finally try a souls game and i dont see the appeal. i raid on ff14 so frequent deaths and learning from those deaths is not a foreign concept to me. but these deaths are often cheap. if i wanted cheap deaths i could relive my childhood and play a multitude of nes games. theres also no carrot on a stick to make me want to endure the cheap deaths.i dont think its a bad game but is there really that many masochist in the world that need to feel pain and struggle to feel alive? also the female char models are still absolute garbage.my char looks like an abomination unless i wear very lightweight gear with the exception of cleric gear. then i see the girl in firelink shrine and im just like wtf? my assumption is that they do this as a shortcut so they can use the same model for male and female. but thats just lazy.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »
Define cheap death. The deaths Ive had so far are exclusive to tough enemies getting the better of me. It's not like some monty python foot stomped me from the sky without warning.

The character models are lame, but the armor sets and items are nice, imho. But who cares? In all the other Souls games i gave my character neon hair and I saw that.... Never because this is not a character dressup game.

Another Alisha dump truck backs up and drops a load.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 02:06:28 AM »
I think the fog wall at firelink may happen when the world isva little slow to repopulate? It happened to me after I got killed by katana-wielding Yukio Mishima by the tower gate, but it soon dissipated. That's just my guess though.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 02:33:30 AM »
I think the fog wall at firelink may happen when the world isva little slow to repopulate? It happened to me after I got killed by katana-wielding Yukio Mishima by the tower gate, but it soon dissipated. That's just my guess though.
i get that too i think its just not loaded yet so it blocks you till it loads some of the area.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 03:03:27 AM »
Alisha, in regards to your gripes with the game, I felt largely the same as you the first time I played DS1 and it took me until Bloodborne to change my opinion. It has the potential to become very satisfying once you learn to read tells and conquer foes that previously appeared insurmountable. It's not a matter of rote memorization like R-Type; you can bring your learned skills to later unfamiliar situations and come out on top of the world.

On the other hand, its not for everybody, and that's nothing to feel ashamed about, but stick with it for a little while longer and see if it clicks.

I will say that the starting area is quite a bit harder than previous games. The first enemies are pretty speedy and there's elite knights just patrolling out in the open, when previously they'd be hidden away for you to find.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 05:40:26 AM »
after playing more ive come to the conclusion it's an aquired taste. i'm starting to enjoy the game a little more just the begining pats of the game were brutal for me. i think i was stuck on the first boss for 2 hours but its been relatively tame since then.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
after playing more ive come to the conclusion it's an aquired taste. i'm starting to enjoy the game a little more just the begining pats of the game were brutal for me. i think i was stuck on the first boss for 2 hours but its been relatively tame since then.

I've yet to speak to anyone who has fallen for these games out of the gate. I myself included, HATED the Souls series for a long time after giving what I thought was a fair effort to Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1.

It wasn't until Bloodborne that something finally clicked and I fell head over heels for the franchise. Literally I spent all last year with Bloodborne and Scholar of the First Sin.

I no longer see these games as cheap or brutally difficult. I'd be lying if I said that was not my argument at one point in time though. Now I see a game that truly rewards patience, focused gameplay and skill. . <<<< This sets them apart from most titles nowadays in the sense that a time sink is generally enough to ensure progression in damn near everything else I play.

In other words, I disagree with the popular opinion that the "reward factor" is a result of difficulty at all but rather altogether a result of literally how good you are at playing. Couple all this with GRADE A environmental design and world building that also rewards your focus and attention to detail and I'm in love.

Oh and the character models... I shit you not when I say you can make attractive characters. The irony is even this aspect of the games, I've found to be locked behind a certain level of challenge, restriction and effort. I find this sort of cool in the sense that you can REALLY tell the difference between a player invested in their character aesthetics and one who is not. It also provides a very visual/tangible sense of progression that feels rewarding to me. Barring a pretty face (which also takes time and patience) you generally start with a character that is less than desirable and develop them into what you want as you move through the meat of these games.

That is where I found the real difference in character building to lie with these titles. In DS2 I started out the most awkward and ugly "Merlin rip off" I could imagine and was disgusted. By end game I was the most brutal spell-casting assassin I could imagine and I adored what my character grew into. It was the result/culmination of careful stat distribution, farming the perfect weapons and armor, enhancing and imbuing until I finally made EXACTLY who I wanted and what I wanted them to wear to be and I knew it was unique to me and my efforts alone.

FINAL NOTE: Please don't take this (longwinded) post to be argumentative. I am not trying to dispute your opinions or points. They are completely valid. Your post had me reflecting on how my own perception of these games evolved over time and this reply is more so me musing over that. Maybe I should thank you Alisha, I feel grateful and more looking forward to my game-time later today now! LoL

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
I love how DS games practically break people (myself included, of course) initially, and then said people slowly start to realize how excellent of a series it really is.

I no longer see these games as cheap or brutally difficult. I'd be lying if I said that was not my argument at one point in time though. Now I see a game that truly rewards patience, focused gameplay and skill. .

This.
I've never felt that a character death was cheap. It was almost always because I was careless/impatient.

EDIT: Check that, kinda. I feel that the Capra Demon situation in DS1 is a bit of cheap bullshit, because of the ridiculously close quarters.
...As with any boss, there's a method, of course. Doesn't make the first few deaths by his/her/it's hand any less irritating.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:03:37 AM by natros »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »

EDIT: Check that, kinda. I feel that the Capra Demon situation in DS1 is a bit of cheap bullshit, because of the ridiculously close quarters.
...As with any boss, there's a method, of course. Doesn't make the first few deaths by his/her/it's hand any less irritating.

Exceptions to every rule.

In truth I felt the smelter demon in DS2 was hella cheap. Something about the hitbox DID NOT jive with the typical iframes in my roll/dodge and resulted in at least a dozen deaths or more. Actually re-tried so many times I cleared the whole area of enemies even respawning and simply pranced over and over again to my untimely "YOU DIED" at the hands of the beast. I remember when I finally "got it" feeling as though I had to purposely "dodge wrong" to avoid his attacks.