Author Topic: Dark Souls 3  (Read 16355 times)

bigdeath

• View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »
decided to finally try a souls game and i dont see the appeal. i raid on ff14 so frequent deaths and learning from those deaths is not a foreign concept to me. but these deaths are often cheap. if i wanted cheap deaths i could relive my childhood and play a multitude of nes games. theres also no carrot on a stick to make me want to endure the cheap deaths.i dont think its a bad game but is there really that many masochist in the world that need to feel pain and struggle to feel alive? also the female char models are still absolute garbage.my char looks like an abomination unless i wear very lightweight gear with the exception of cleric gear. then i see the girl in firelink shrine and im just like wtf? my assumption is that they do this as a shortcut so they can use the same model for male and female. but thats just lazy.

There are no real cheap deaths in Dark Souls. Almost all deaths are your own fault (and I don't mean that in a condescending way). Even the many traps in these games have signs that allow you to spot them ahead of time. I've noticed I have a much easier time with souls games because of my cautious nature. I notice a lot of the traps and ambushes that most players fail to notice. Of course, I'm also very slow when playing through the game the first time. Once I know where everything and every enemy is then my playtime drops drastically. Many enemies people struggle with can much more easily defeated by taking advantage of elemental weakness, sniping key enemies (like pyromancers) with bows, etc.

One of the biggest differences I've notice from me and other players is that most people stick around and fight enemies where they meet them. This can lead to a quick death if you aggro more than one enemy. On the other hand, I run away a lot. If I'm in a tight corridor, I'll run to an open space to fight an enemy. If I'm facing flaming throwing enemies I'll actually put on armor and a shield that resists fire (SO MANY PEOPLE DON'T DO THIS) I test bosses/ mini bosses weaknesses by using different weapons.

Big tip, pick the fire upgrade item as your starting gift. As always with a souls game, having a fire weapon HELPS SO MUCH. If you notice any enemy resistant to your weapons attacks then try your fire weapon. Especially if they are undead.

Intelligence is your strongest weapon in a souls game. Think about where your fighting and with what equipment and don't be afraid to switch gear to fit your opponent.

Note: Oh and it IS actually possible to make pretty female characters. It just takes adjusting all those sliders in the character creator.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:25:51 AM by bigdeath »

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »
I've yet to speak to anyone who has fallen for these games out of the gate.

Well, now you've meet someone who has loved the souls games since I was introduced to Dark Souls 1. Though I find Dark Souls 1 the easiest of the souls game even though it was my first. I think the big difference between me and most players is that in my first playthrough I made like a dozen characters testing out early game builds and spent a couple dozen hours breaking down how the mechanics of how the game worked (what every stat did, how to backstab/parry, etc). I didn't leave the undead burg until I knew how to consistently parry the black knights (I have terrible reflexes so I can still only do it semi-consistently without the target shield).

In short, knowing the mechanics of the game from the start makes a huge difference in how difficult a souls game is. Knowledge is power! Its kind of funny, I mostly play turn based RPGs because I have terrible reflexes and so suck at most twitch based games. But souls games tend to be relatively easy for me. This isn't to say I don't struggle in some boss fights or areas of the game but rather that I seem to have a far less frustrating time playing souls games then most other players.

tip: You always have the option to use summons to help beat bosses, theres even often NPC summons you can use. Don't be a ashamed to use it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:30:14 AM by bigdeath »

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »
I always enjoy the argument about moments when the Souls games get "cheap."  Y'all know I love these games, but there are some enemies that bend or flat out break the rules in really nasty ways.  Remember the giant knights near the archdragon in 2?  Ya know, the guys who had infinite stamina and could just attack and attack without giving any real openings?  Yeah, those are what I consider "cheap," but others might classify them as "poor design." 

I'm just about finished my second run of 3, and I'm very conflicted on it.  I'll be interested to see what the community eventually decides, because I think there's lots of good stuff (nice areas, a few killer bosses, lots of enemy variety) but there's also a lot of the same problems people have with 2.  There are some absolute GARBAGE hit boxes, obnoxious grab attacks, gotcha moments that break the world a bit (have fun with the two random enemies that are suddenly invisible even though you've killed a bunch before that didn't act like that before), and some pretty lazy boss design.  IMO, only three or four bosses really stand out, and most fall into the "Giant dudes with weapons" that everyone complained about with 2.  It really feels like two different teams worked on the game, so some areas are fantastic while others are lacking or feel slapped together.  Some of the bonfire and checkpoint placement is flat out bizarre or outright bad in places, leading to frustrating grindy areas like the knight hallways before Vendrick and Mirror Knight in 2.  I liked 3 more than 2, but there are just as many problems as 2 with some of the spice and variety of 3 that seems to be alleviating some of the fan complaints. 

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »
Hmmm, I actually find the boss designs some of the best in the series. It really feels like this is a combinations of all the souls games, it even has some bloodborne inspiration. The creepyness of certain bosses and the design of certain enemies (and weapons they wield and the area they are in) are clearly callbacks to bloodborne.

To be fair, dark souls 1 has its share of problems including the laziest and easiest bosses in the the whole souls series (everything after ornstein and smough is a push over if you know how to prepare for each boss fight) . Though perhaps part of the reason I like some bosses in DS3 is nostalgia. For example, Yhorm the giant fight has a nice callback to demon souls.

The game does manage to connect dark souls 1 and dark souls 2 while expanding on the lore in some very important ways. Can't wait to watch some lore videos after people have digested everything.

Also, the fashion souls is real in this game. VERY REAL. Fallen Knight set FTW!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:35:21 PM by bigdeath »

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
I might be in the minority when it comes to the bosses, as many of the reviews (including our own) praised the boss and enemy design.  There's also the factor that, well, I found this game to be the easiest in the series by a country mile.  Don't get me wrong, I died a fair number of times towards the end of the game, but I was well past the halfway point before I started to run into any resistance.  Most of the early bosses were dead before they even had a chance to do anything cool, which was really disappointing for me.  Maybe Bloodborne made me super aggressive as a player.  I'm certainly much better with rolling through attacks than I ever was with the previous Souls games, and I used that to great effect on nearly every boss. 

It's telling that I restarted to DS1 the other day and died on both the gargoyles and Quelaag on my first attempt.  I didn't die on any of the DS3 bosses until the first of the four big bads you have to kill.  Even then, I got 'em on my second attempt with nary a scratch.  I'm not trying to validate myself as a player or show off, but I didn't find this game very challenging.  However, maybe that's a good thing because it is so fair (for the most part) if you really pay attention and watch for openings.  "Hard" doesn't necessarily mean "good," and I'm always frustrated when people bring up the difficulty first about the Souls games when there's so many other awesome things to talk about. 

I think it's also telling for me as a player that the most interesting boss in the entire game, IMO, is the closest thing to a Bloodborne beast. 

Oh, and get used to the obnoxious homing soul arrow attacks bosses have a tendency to spam.  I think you'll agree with me after finishing the game that too many bosses use that style of attack in order to add some artificial difficulty.  It starts cropping up around the second half of the game, and simply changing the color of said attacks wasn't enough to really mask the same mechanic being used over and over again. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:37:14 PM by PaleRobbie »

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »
I guess whats easy and hard is very subjective. The key to gargoyles is upgraded weapons/fire weapons. If you can delete the first gargoyle before the second shows up then you have an easy win every time.  On the other hand, Quelaag has some easy to read attacks. What makes her hard is the lava being spit out everywhere. Quelaag herself is not actually hard to fight since you can easily place yourself in spots where her attacks will fly right over your head all the time.

As for the macross missile spam in Dark Souls 3, yeah. LOL At least it keeps those boss fights tense as you run around praying the missile spam doesn't hit you.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 06:03:44 AM »
The way the skeletons give their little skulls a pat to make sure they're secured to their spine is precious.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »
I think the normal enemies in DS3 are much harder than the first two games. Even monsters that look like they're going to be big and slow are fast and aggressive, and many of them have attacks that prevent you from abusing backstabbing.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 02:59:34 PM »
I think the normal enemies in DS3 are much harder than the first two games. Even monsters that look like they're going to be big and slow are fast and aggressive, and many of them have attacks that prevent you from abusing backstabbing.

It feels like some enemies are straight out of bloodborne. Big, fast, butcher knife, seemingly infinite stamina. You have to play aggressive and get several hits in when you can since their infinite stamina attack spam makes defensive play impossible.

I'm finding heal spells far more valuable in this game since I actually feel the need for more healing. Part of what made Dark Souls 1 feel easy for me is that I never felt like I had too little healing. In Dark Souls 3 it feels a lot harder to avoid taking hits and some aggressive enemies are best dealt with by trading hits with them. I don't have a problem with this different playstyle but it sure makes healing spells much more valuable.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:41:51 PM by bigdeath »

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2016, 07:06:41 AM »
I haven't had any issues with monsters with infinite stamina yet, but I'm only in Irithyl. Enemies are definitely faster but everybody I've fought needs to take a small breather after a flurry of swings.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
I haven't had any issues with monsters with infinite stamina yet, but I'm only in Irithyl. Enemies are definitely faster but everybody I've fought needs to take a small breather after a flurry of swings.

You definitely have face the monster I'm talking about if your that far in the game. Its the enemy that carries cages on his back and used a large cleaver as a weapon. He just loves to spam attacks and this is a brutal enemy if you aggro more than one at time.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Editor Emeritus
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2016, 08:36:52 AM »
Cage boy has a horrible turning radius on most of his attacks.  I usually just roll past him and then attack his back for massive damage. 

The knight type enemies late in the game, however, love to spam attacks AND turn their entire bodies DS2 style and clock you with sweeping attacks.  Absolutely hated these enemies and damn near threw a controller fighting them. 

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
Cage boy has a horrible turning radius on most of his attacks.  I usually just roll past him and then attack his back for massive damage. 

The knight type enemies late in the game, however, love to spam attacks AND turn their entire bodies DS2 style and clock you with sweeping attacks.  Absolutely hated these enemies and damn near threw a controller fighting them. 

Theres a pair of those knights in lothic castle who aggro you at the same time so its always a 2 on one fight. Pure Nightmare from hell. If you somehow manage to win you are rewarded with nothing since they are guarding no treasure. Its just a pure troll fight. There are a few troll fights in this game with a group of enemies that guard nothing but you won't know that until you beat them. lol

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
Code: [Select]
Demon Ruins 2.0 is the worst area in the series. Lots of ugly grey corridors that all look the same jam-packed with enemies and casters that take about 6 hits to kill with a large club, and monsters that spew toxic and curse.

Code: [Select]
Demon Ruins and Izalith weren't great the first time round, but at least they didn't look like they had been randomly generated from a tileset.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »
I suck at this game, cant get used to the speed. I think i need to oractice parrying for an hour because the knights you encounter early on just wreck me. The first boss in the tutorial zone and that blue crystal thing wetent that tough but average enemies are just destroying me.