Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2015, 08:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
346915 Posts in 14154 Topics by 2235 Members
Latest Member: chiefjim
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 336472 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: January 20, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »

2015 is the year I re-read the entire Wheel of Time series.  Since it's finally ended, I feel like I need to revisit the whole thing to cap off that 20-year journey.

I'm currently twenty pages into "The Eye of the World".  This project is gonna extend into 2016 at this pace.

Haha! Yeah, good luck. Though I need a lot of luck too since I'm only to book five and I wanted to try and finish reading the series this year.

Anyway, I just finished reading The Mabinogion. It was kind of difficult because I've never read any Welsh myth/folklore before. Usually when I read something along these lines I'm at least somewhat familiar with it from other sources. I found the stories interesting, but not as compelling as similar stories from other cultures, though it is possible that is because of the translation. I did really love the story "Geraint Son of Erbin" though. That was the highlight, and seemed the most sophisticated of all the stories. "How Culhwch Won Olwen" was also pretty good, and reminded me of other classical, mythological tales. The rest, while still interesting, didn't quite compare to these two. Also, there is a point when the explanatory notes become more burdensome than they should be, and the edition I read was guilty of such burdens.

Next up is The Prose Edda.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »

Finished the Word and Void trilogy by Terry Brooks, which I enjoyed, and am ready to move on to the Genesis of Shannara novels.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »

I'm still reading the books I mentioned in my last post, but I've also been reading Tarzan of the Apes on the side. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it now, and I don't think it's very good. It relies heavily on stereotypes, and though there was some criticism of late 19th/early 20th century society earlier in the book it has dissipated since then. Really it has mostly been Tarzan running around the jungle saving all the stupid white people from the savage black people, and wooing Jane with his primal manliness, which has made her fall madly in love. The prose reminds me of a manlier Uncle Tom's Cabin, but with more action.

Worst of all though is the fact Jane has a mammy whose only purposes are to faint when something happens and provide comedic relief when she wakes up. Seriously.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 30, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »

I felt the same way about the Tarzan book or two that I read.  It's very much "the white guy wins because he's white and therefore smarter and faster and stronger and just all around a better guy than anyone else."

You might check out the first John Carter book, though - I remember it being better about that kind of thing, although it's been a while.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »

That book was written in 1912 wasn't it? 

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1580 on: January 30, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »

Published in 1914, so probably written around 1912 yes. Even given the timeframe, it reads like Uncle Tom's Cabin. A lot of its contemporaries were far more developed in style, character, and thematics, so I don't think it's really okay to excuse it for when it was written.

EDIT: I finished Tarzan, and the ending actually wasn't at all what I had expected, and I liked that. All the criticisms I've mentioned in this and previous posts still stand though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:02:38 PM by Jimmy » Logged
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1581 on: February 03, 2015, 08:30:03 PM »

Finished the Genesis of Shannara books and am ready for the Legends of Shannara ones.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 04, 2015, 12:10:18 AM »

I read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, quite liked it.

I came across a copy of Name of the Wind cheap the other day, so that's up next.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: February 07, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »

I read Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" and while I liked it, I felt like it could have been so much better.  I wanted more backstory into everyone and everything.  I also felt that everything happened too smoothly and neatly, though there was a plot point that revealed why that was.  The one thing I did like was that it flipped the script- it wasn't the boy rescuing the girl from capture, but the girl rescuing the boy.  I easily see where Disney took snippets of inspiration from this story for Frozen.  

And I just started The Alloy of Law.  I've only read the prologue and
Code:
just as I was getting into the characters, Lessie gets killed off.  I was hoping to see more of her since I dig strong female protagonists and I have a soft-spot for "gals with guns" given my enjoyment of anime like Noir.
 This should be good, though.  Looking forward to the next book already, which is said to be coming in October.

Man, I STILL need to read the first book of Stormlight Archive.  I'm guessing I'll like it so I'll want to continue.  Hopefully I'll finish both of those before the third book drops in 2016.  And this is not counting all the classics I still have yet to read, like The Three Musketeers; or anticipating the next Song of Ice and Fire book.  So many books, so little time!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 09:22:15 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thons:
Diabetes Tour-de-Cure, June 2015
ACS Cancer Ride, June 2015

How I imagine myself when I'm on the roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6jay1etsw
How I probably look to everyone else when I'm on the roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9VaaqU_LA
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1584 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »

Finished the Legends of Shannara subseries, First King of Shannara, and the short story Allanon's Quest, and am ready for the original trilogy and the stories that take place in between/afterward.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1585 on: February 12, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »

I finished up reading The Prose Edda. It was a fantastic and informative read about Norse myth. And continuing with more Norse readings, I'm working my way through Sagas of Icelanders still, and just starting reading The Saga of the People of Vatnsdal. It is excellent so far. A lot more compressed than Egil's Saga, and honestly I don't know that it is any less complex due to that compression.

After I finish this, I'll probably reading Wheel of Time #5, or The Song of Roland.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1586 on: February 15, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »

I just finished reading Battle Angel Alita: Last Order omnibus 5.  I believe there's one more omnibus and that will conclude the story.  I've said this a million times before and I'll say it again: Battle Angel Alita is easily my favorite manga.  

Now, back to Alloy of Law.  I've read the prologue and chapter 1 so far, and a strong first impression has been made.

EDIT: About 8 or so chapters in and digging it.  It's not as epic in scope as the prior Mistborn series, nor is the story as complex, but it's great fun with a cool set of characters, especially the wise-cracking sidekick.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:57:38 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thons:

How I imagine myself when I'm on the roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw6jay1etsw
How I probably look to everyone else when I'm on the roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9VaaqU_LA
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1587 on: February 25, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »

Done with the Saga of the People of Vatnsdal. It started out excellent, but started getting repetitive about halfway through. There were some really cool parts though, and this had a lot more magical occurrences than the other sagas I've read, so that helped keep it fresh. There was one line of Viking advice that stuck out to me, "There is more honor in accumulating little by little than in reaching for the sky and ending up flat on your face." I love how bluntly the text reads sometimes.

I'm reading the Song of Roland now, and dang, could I just say Fire Emblem 7? I knew that the game borrowed some character and weapon names, but just seeing the names come up is kind of cool. Aside from that, I'm finding it to be filled with a lot of gusto, but not much in terms of character. Granted this is a medieval text, but even still I feel like Beowulf and other characters from other medieval texts (both earlier and later than Song of Roland) are much more fleshed out than those found in this story. Granted most of the characters die, so maybe it's a moot point. I should have this finished tomorrow, so I'll start reading Wheel of Time #5 afterward.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: February 26, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »

I'm over halfway through Alloy of Law and though the book reads quickly and I'm enjoying it, it isn't as deep as the prior Mistborn books.  In fact, it reads more YA, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not quite as dense as I'd like.  Looks like I'll have to start Stormlight Archives next because that may fit the bill for what I want.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:59:20 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thons:

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: