Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2015, 11:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
351772 Posts in 14327 Topics by 2253 Members
Latest Member: Intero
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 358251 times)
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1590 on: March 01, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »

I just finished Alloy of Law.  Enjoyable read, but not as "omg awesome!" as the prior Mistborn trilogy.  It felt more like YA fiction, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The epilogue absolutely made it for me, though.  It really thickened the plot nicely and I'm invested to see what happens next.  I'm particularly interested to see how
Code:
Steris develops.  At first I didn't like her because she was a cold, hard, controlling bitch but I feel like she'll grow and develop a lot throughout the series.  She's a character who you'll hate at first, but over time will grow on you.  Marasi's already cool and I want to see her ditch the frilly ballgowns for something more suited to her practical and purposeful mind.  And Wayne's a trip.

glassjawsh
insolent cur

I play games. You shut your mouth.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1591 on: March 12, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »

Terry Pratchett died this morning.  So now since Brian Jacques is dead too, both of the book series I loved as a kid (Redwall and Discworld) are gone forever. 

I'm appropriately bummed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:09:35 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 12, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »

Me too.  Think I'll need to pick up my copy of Good Omens to read again. :(

He had been sick for a long time, though, and was understandably freaked out about the ongoing effects of Alzheimers.  That makes me feel a little better about him not having to suffer through that any more.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1593 on: March 14, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »

I just started The Way of Kings, by Sanderson, and it is good.  My mom started it last weekend and is way ahead of me.  She's digging it and now I need to read further so we can have conversations about it.  . 

Yeah, fantasy novels is how I bond with my mom.  She loves and often re-reads the Lord of the Rings books and thanks to the good folks at RPGFan, I introduced her to Song of Ice and Fire (before it became a show), Mistborn, and now Stormlight Archive. I think she read the first Malazan book too since "all my fantasy friends" dug it (I still haven't read it), but though she loved the writing and wants a Dragon Deck like Tattersail's, she got quite lost with all the world hopping. 

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1594 on: April 02, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »

I finished Wheel of Time #5 finally. I'm resigning myself to the fact that the series will always have pacing issues as well as chapters that follow Nynaeve. I really can't stand her. That being said, it seemed like there was a bit less complaining about men/women in this book than in book four though there is still plenty. I'm a little saddened by what happened near the end:

Code:
Namely, Moiraine's apparent death. We never really saw her, or Lanfear for that matter, actually die, so I wouldn't be surprised if she pops up later in the series at some point.

At the same time, by that point in the book it desperately needed something big to happen. Otherwise it would have just been a slow book with hardly any plot development. I hear that is what some of the later entries in the series are like before Brandon Sanderson took the reins after Robert Jordan's death, but I'll deal with those when I get to them.

I've moved on to The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. One of my friends works at the publisher and she suggested the book to me well over a year ago. Just finally getting to it. All I really know is that it is the first in an epic fantasy trilogy and it has pretty good reviews. I met the author at an event and he signed my copy. He was a cool guy, so hopefully I'll like what I find.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 02, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »

Yeah, Jimmy, you've still got some slow stuff to move through in WoT.  Nynaeve will eventually get better, but it may not be until the Sanderson books.  It's been a while since I read them.

I have been plowing through Discworld books since Terry Pratchett's passing.  They definitely live up to their reputation.

I also finally read Ready Player One, and I really enjoyed it.  The quote on the book says it's "Willy Wonka meets The Matrix," and that's not a terrible description, although I'd describe it more as The Westing Game meets The Matrix.  I'm guessing most people haven't read The Westing Game, though, so Willy Wonka it is.  I read it almost in one straight sitting.  (Incidentally, if you haven't read The Westing Game, that's also good stuff.

—Kurt Vonnegut
glassjawsh
insolent cur

I play games. You shut your mouth.

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1596 on: April 02, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »

I have been plowing through Discworld books since Terry Pratchett's passing.  They definitely live up to their reputation.

Just finished the light fantastic.  So that makes... 2 DW books in about 3 weeks.  To be fair to myself, I've also been reading a pretty definitive history of the Russian Civil War (as well as "Ordinary Citizens", David King's soul crushingly beautiful pictorial of the Moscow Purges of the 20's and 30's).  My problem is that, since I read so much non-fiction, I tend to read books for comprehension.  This means that I end up taking significantly longer to finish a book than most people I know (my mom can read 2 mystery novels in a day if she wants to).  But then, where it seems that many who burn right through books with the quickness cannot, I can at least recall what I've read at a later date.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1597 on: April 02, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »

I'm rereading the Outlander and Song of Ice and Fire book in preparation for the forthcoming episodes on their inspired TV series. I've been taking notes on my iPad while reading so that I remember things better when the episodes actually air, and so I can write more detailed reviews than the half-assed ones I've done on Amazon and in my LJ without notes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:23:37 PM by Der Jermeister » Logged

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1598 on: April 14, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »

I'm about 7 or 8 chapters into The Way of Kings and it is a fantastic book.  I can't describe.

And I found a new guilty pleasure comic: Damsels in Excess (published by Aspen).  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:04:22 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 14, 2015, 08:40:17 PM »

I've been reading a book called The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree, and I'm really liking it. It's a little bit The Unwritten, and a little bit Dark Tower.

"After coming home from a stint in Afghanistan, veteran Ross Brigham learns that his father has passed away. Dearly departed Dad was a famous fantasy novelist, and the 300 fans that show up for the funeral demand that Ross finish E. R. Brigham's long-running magnum opus.

Ross and two of the author's devotees investigate his untimely death and discover that he might have been murdered...and the time-bending gunslingers of Dad's steampunk novels might be real.

As they try to acclimate to the arid deserts of the author's fantasy world, the three damaged heroes become pawns in a war for humanity's survival. The Muses have grown tired of immortality and now incite atrocities on Earth, trying to lure down a leviathan from the stars.

Can Ross and his new friends stop the scheming satyrs before both worlds are eaten?"

—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1600 on: April 15, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

I finished reading The Emperor's Blades last night. While the author is a good writer, the plot just wasn't progressing until about the last 80 pages. I'm glad I stuck with it, because it got suddenly exciting very quickly and I read the last 80 pages in a blur. It was just getting to that point. I'm interested enough to give the second book in the series a try, so I'll likely get to it in a month or two.

I'm now reading The Saga of the People of Laxardal. It's considered one of the great medieval Icelandic sagas, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

After that I'll read Wheel of Time 6.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: