Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 02:45:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 299219 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1530 on: October 29, 2014, 03:02:15 AM »

Moving along in Mistbron #2: Well of Ascension
I'm getting close to the end.
Someone make movies out of these books, PLEASE! Oh, my god, how I want to see Vin in action on a movie screen.
Code:
The Koloss are way derivative of every fantasy creature ever, and I had hope for a short while that they would break the stereotype, but it was not to be. They are evil troll-like things, and that's just the way it is.
I'm at the part where Vin returns to Luthadel, and starts kicking Koloss ass all over the place.
I get shivers at these scenes, and shivers again thinking about them done with a LOTR(Avengers?) style budget and devotion.
I
I've even been wondering who would be cast as Vin.
A man can dream.

Some company did have the movie rights until recently, I think. But now they've reverted back to Brandon Sanderson/his agent/his publisher (not sure which). Hopefully someone else may be interested in picking it up.

Regarding the coded section, I can see where you're coming from, but I think you'll still be surprised when you find out.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1531 on: November 01, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »

I finished up The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley yesterday. I do really like her writing style. The sentence structure isn't something I'm used to and it forces me to really pay attention. I found the book itself was kind of meandering, and much more symbolic and mythic than The Blue Sword. Still good, but if I had my druthers I'd say I prefer The Blue Sword.

Now I'm onto Wheel of Time #4.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1532 on: November 04, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »

Finished Well of Ascension, and am anxious to move on to Hero of Ages, but I'm taking a break inbetween. I'm junping back into the top 50 scifi books of all time list and reading A Canticle for Leibowitz. I hope it's as great as I've heard.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1533 on: November 12, 2014, 12:37:17 AM »

Finished the Wheel of Time books written solely by Robert Jordan, and will break from the series to reread the Hunger Games books in preparation for the release of Part One of Mockingjay. Generally liked the WoT books better than when I previously read them thanks in part to upping the font size on my Kindle App, but I still feel the series could have been several books shorter.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1534 on: November 12, 2014, 01:24:27 AM »

Finished the Wheel of Time books written solely by Robert Jordan, and will break from the series to reread the Hunger Games books in preparation for the release of Part One of Mockingjay. Generally liked the WoT books better than when I previously read them thanks in part to upping the font size on my Kindle App, but I still feel the series could have been several books shorter.

I'm currently reading The Shadow Rising (WoT #4) myself. While I've enjoyed the series well enough, I didn't think it was anything really great until just today. It just feels like some of the questions raised in the first three books are finally getting answered (even though more questions are being asked), and like the overall series plot is finally progressing. The pacing still isn't great though. I think that Jordan could have left a lot of an individual characters thoughts and feelings to the imagination. I really don't need to read another paragraph about a woman complaining about the stubbornness of men or a man complaining about crazy unreasonable women. I get that the nature of the society probably set this dichotomy up, and I'm cool with it being there, but I kind of want to punch the characters in the face when they start ranting about the opposite sex.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 12, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »

Unfortunately, that's going to continue through the rest of his books.  It finally goes away (or at least diminishes) in the Brandon Sanderson books, where a few of the main characters do some long-overdue growing up.  I love that series... but I definitely agree with you about that being a not-good aspect of it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1536 on: November 16, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »

Reread the Hunger Games Trilogy in preparation for the forthcoming Part I of Mockingjay. It's a good series, but considering that it took me between two to three hours to read the final book, even with my slowed reading pace, it brings to light my trepidation on why there needs to be two parts to the film version of the last book.

Edit: Finished the Wheel of Time books and was satisfied with the series despite believing it still could have been several books shorter. Next I'll tackle Brian Jacques' Redwall series again.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:35:26 AM by Der Jermeister » Logged

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1537 on: November 26, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »

Finished a Canticle for Leibowitz. Another great classic that I'm glad I finally got around to reading. Even though it was written in 1959, much of it is still relevant to our modern world. I imagine this was considered controversial when it initially came out.

Stared up Mistborn #3, Hero of Ages - Initial reaction:
Code:
I don't like that Elend has Mistborn powers now. Maybe my opinion will change, but I feel that it takes something away from Vins character. We'll see.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1538 on: November 26, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »

Next I'll tackle Brian Jacques' Redwall series again.

I read a bunch of the Redwall series as a kid.  I ran out of steam around the Bellmaker.  The first 6 or 7 books were incredible (the world building and level of detail that went into what was originally intended to be a children's series is nothing short of remarkbale), but there is no way I'd have time to read all 20+.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:40:25 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1539 on: November 26, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »

Grim, I was iffy on that too, but it grew on me.  My mom also had to be sold on that idea, and she grew to like it as well.  Yeah, my mom is an avid fantasy reader (she could read Lord of the Rings a million times over and never get tired of it), and I turned her onto Song of Ice and Fire and Mistborn.  So we often read the same books and discuss them.  

As for my reading, well... as several of you know, I'm an aspiring voice over artist and thanks to the guidance of my coach, I auditioned to narrate two brief audiobooks and I nailed both auditions.  I recently finished my first one (a short travel guide for Dubai and am working on my second one (a short guide about sugar addiction).  

...so I'm officially a voice over artist, more specifically an audiobook narrator. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:41:10 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1540 on: November 27, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »

I tell myself I'm still reading Foundation, but actually I'm not. Not sure why, as I found it relatively light to read. I fear it might hit the unfinished pile together with the Dark Tower and Wheel of Time series. The only thing I do read is Marimite, which happens to be a LN series. I find it oddly relaxing, but it's so far away from the traditional stuff I used to be into that it's not even funny. I've tried numerous times to make a return to read real books, but I think it's not going to happen with fantasy wars anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: