Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341037 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 305096 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1545 on: December 15, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »

I finished up Egil's Saga today. It was really great, and very different. I bet a lot of scholarship has been written about this saga...

I did start reading Bellmaker, book 37 of 498 in the Redwall series. I've found the series mostly likeable enough so far though I really didn't care for Mariel of Redwall. It seemed too forced and contrived and I never really got the sense that I knew the characters all that well. Granted most of Jacques' characters in the Redwall books are pretty flat, but I found them especially so in Mariel of Redwall. Given that Bellmaker is the direct sequel, I am again finding little interest in these characters.

Also reading The Hobbit with my girlfriend as she has never read it before.

Not sure what I'll read next after I get these two finished up. Probably will be Wheel of Time #5, The Prose Edda, or The Song of Roland.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1546 on: December 15, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »

I'm reading this now; it's a magical girl story called "Souldiers" by Aisa.  It's not deep or complex reading and you have to suspend your disbelief, but it's good, clean, magical girl fun so far.  

THis one will be short, so next in line is Open Minds, book 1 of the Mindjack trilogy by Susan Kaye Quinn.  It's part of the "YA dystopian" wave and it was a freebie.  So we'll see how this first book is, and if I like it, I'll buy the rest.  It seems to be about a girl who lives in a future where humans have evolved to read each others' minds and telepathy is the communicative norm, yet she cannot read minds.  But she discovers a far darker and more dangerous power that lurks within her mind.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:13:22 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1547 on: December 16, 2014, 12:21:01 AM »

So I read all 600 pages of Blake J Harris' "Console Wars".  It's about Sega of America in the early 90's trying to overcome Nintendo's overwhelming market share dominance (90%!).   It was an interesting enough read until you realize just how much of the dialogue was (admittedly) fabricated by the author in order for it to come across better as a movie (that he's basically already written and sold to Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg). 

The book ultimately comes off as a giant fluff piece for SofA CEO Tom Kalinske (he pretty much blames Sega of Japan for every poor decision the company ever made) and that's a crying shame because the (factual) story behind it is so inherently interesting.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:23:15 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1548 on: December 16, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »

I'm reading this now; it's a magical girl story called "Souldiers" by Aisa.  It's not deep or complex reading and you have to suspend your disbelief, but it's good, clean, magical girl fun so far.  

Just finished reading this.  So far, it's only 4 chapters plus a bonus chapter that takes place in the past.  My opinion still stands.  It's a little grittier than typical "magical girl" stuff, which is good, but the characters still need to develop more.  I liked the bonus chapter that showcased two of the magical girls identities in a bygone era.  http://aisasouldiers.webs.com/

Next up, Open Minds.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1549 on: December 17, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »

Reread The Hobbit in anticipation of the new movie in the trilogy, and definitely enjoyed it, though given my reading time of between one and two hours, they could have easily gotten away with just one film adaptation of the book, though they do use the appendices from the end of Return of the King to expand the prequel novel, so I've heard. I'm somewhat disappointed that The Hobbit received expanded film adaptation while major things were cut out of the film adaptations of the main LotR books, especially most of the second half of the book version of Return of the King, and changes such as the encounter with Shelob the spider occurring at the start of the RotK adaptation when in the books it happened towards the end of The Two Towers. Still somewhat prefer The Hobbit to the main LotR books, but the main trilogy definitely has its high points.

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: