Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 14, 2016, 02:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377446 Posts in 15104 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 481076 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1710 on: February 12, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »

I read all the Shannara books up to the original trilogy and the stories occurring shortly after it (before the Heritage of Shannara subseries), and right now I'm dividing my time between The Sword of Truth since its supposed absolute final book came out late last year, and Morgan Rice's The Sorcerer's Ring series, which is a great entry-level fantasy series. I can definitely understand why many don't like Sword of Truth, since it can be slow at times, especially with regards to the first few books, and Goodkind's editors glossed over countless punctuation errors.

Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 13, 2016, 01:23:34 AM »

I read the first two or three Sword of Truth books and decided I just wasn't that into S&M and Ayn Rand.  But clearly, there are plenty of people who feel differently than I do, because there are plenty more books in the series.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: February 13, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »

I need to go back to Words of Radiance, but RPGFan's been keeping me busy (in a good way).  I'm about 300-400 pages in.

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 13, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »

Sorry, buddy - at least you've been playing some decent stuff!

I tried out the first book of The Codex Alera and got about halfway into it before giving up on the series.  It's one of those things where at every turn, the worst possible thing happens and our heroes barely survive.  They get healed up, then they're on to the next terrible thing happening.  No moments of happiness or triumph.  I don't think it's supposed to be "grimdark" - I think it's supposed to be a way to keep your interest level up because there's always some new crisis.  It just did not do it for me.  So I went back to the Dresden books.

(Side note, I found out that The Codex Alera was the result of a bet that the author could not write a series based on two "lame" concepts, ancient Rome and Pokemon.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1714 on: February 13, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »

I've been trying out The Witcher books for the first time, although something tells me I shouldn't have started with Blood of Elves...
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1715 on: February 13, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »

I also tried out Tolkien's Silmarillion, it's interesting to see how certain expressions/ideas kind of popped up in other forms (Eldar in Warhammer and such)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:45:36 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: