Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319732 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Favourite Albums of 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Favourite Albums of 2006  (Read 5228 times)
Valthrudnir

egokrvsher
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Better than The Mantle?  I'll believe it when I hear it.  :P

why oh why are there so many metalheads on these thar boards gaarge

It's every bit of better than The Mantle. I highly suggest checking it out.. like.. immediately. Drop whatever it is you're doing and go get it.

I started posting on this forum partially because of the metal affinity. That and the fact that legitimate discussion goes on without any of the omg cloud is hawt shit.
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 02:45:13 AM »

My list has changed a bit...

1. Joanna Newsom - Ys
2. BT - This Binary Universe
3. yndi halda - enjoy eternal bliss
4. Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue
5. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
6. Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
7. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third
8. The Mars Volta - Amputechture
9. The Ascent of Everest - How Lonely Sits the City
10. Envy - Insomniac Doze

All of these are incredible.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 03:46:26 AM »

Nemmet -- Joanna Newsom's "Ys" was guaranteed to be a hit. I mean, look at the name!!! In all seriousness, the album is fantastic.

My tastes vary a good bit from a lot of people on this board, but here are my (non-VGM) 2006 picks, in no particular order:

Anathallo - Floating World - an indie band with lots of members doing unique things released their first FULL ALBUM (after being together for about 6 years) in the form of a "concept album." It's all based on a short story (and some poems) that come from various Japanese folk tales/legends. The packaging for the album is superb, and the entire story (Hanakasajijii) is put in the album for you to read. If you aren't in some state of awe by the end of your first listen, you probably weren't paying attention.

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage - Neal also mentioned this one. It's a fantasy metal band, and if you haven't heard of them, you're way out of the loop. Personally, I liked 2004's "Sonic Firestorm" a little more, but this album is also great.

Copeland - Eat, Sleep, Repeat - The band's third full album was just released in November, and while it has virtually no resemblance to their first two albums (other than the sweet, smooth vocals), it has quickly become a favorite listen of mine. The lyrics are easily the worst thing about the album: contrived, cheap, and "softcore emo" (sort of like "emo lite") to be sure. But the music is darn sweet.

mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister - Another band's third full album, this one came in September. Vocalist/lyricist Aaron Weiss is probably one of the best lyricists alive (to my knowledge anyway). I'm not sure if this album is my favorite of the three (the second, "Catch For Us The Foxes," was solid gold from beginning to end) ... whatever it is, it certainly beat the pants off of most other albums this year.

Sufjan Stevens - Songs For Christmas - This five disc box set contains EPs that Sufjan recorded personally each Christmas since '01 for friends and family. This year, he decided to release them all together in one box: and for $18, it's an excellent deal. The split of new, original, Sufjan-written songs and classic, overdone, unoriginal Christmas songs is about 50/50. And Sufjan spices the old songs up pretty nicely too. The album also comes with a 50 page book including some excellent essays and commentaries on the commercialization of the holiday season, as well as some short stories from Sufjan that help give a feel for why he actually dreads late December and struggles to reconcile his personal feelings about the holiday with all the cheap plastic mirth he finds around him. It was probably the perfect gift for the intellectual in your life, but you'd be a tad late giving it now! :P

Danielson - Ships - If I'm not mistaken, this puppy marked the 8th full album release from Danielson (if you count "Familie," "Brother," and "Tri-" as all the same "Danielson" entity). I've listened to most of those albums, and I own a few of them, but this was really something special. Pitchfork Media gave the album rave reviews, which is what sparked my interest. If you know nothing about the Danielson phenomenon, go here: http://www.danielsonmovie.com/ and read up.

That's it from me. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be a toss-up with Anathallo and mewithoutYou. But I just love their styles in general...

Ramza

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 07:15:25 AM »

Quote from: "Valthrudnir"
Quote from: "Losfer"
Better than The Mantle?  I'll believe it when I hear it.  :P

why oh why are there so many metalheads on these thar boards gaarge

It's every bit of better than The Mantle. I highly suggest checking it out.. like.. immediately. Drop whatever it is you're doing and go get it.

I started posting on this forum partially because of the metal affinity. That and the fact that legitimate discussion goes on without any of the omg cloud is hawt shit.

Yeah, there are legions of us TRUE METAL WARRIORS here.  It's pretty cool actually.  I mostly just come here for Metal discussions now...  Like this one!  I will get Ashes Against the Grain sometime soon as the one track I have heard rocks.

I am also stating that I am also officially adding A Line of Deathless Kings by My Dying Bride and The Stench of Redemption to my list as the missus has procured both discs for me for the Merry Yuletide Season.

The Lord's Sedition is literally the best song Deicide has ever written.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 07:48:49 PM »

Add The Mountain Goats' Get Lonely to my list. It's Darnielle's best work yet, hands down. His acoustic guitar attack has become more varied and still retains its ferocity, while strings and percussion are used stunningly.

Also, The Format's Dog Problems was a real present suprise. They're great pop songs and have that orchestral element to them. Brass, strings, woodwinds, electric guitar, drums, percussion, and keyboards all seemlessly swirl around in the mix to great effect. Plus, the singer's vocals are lovely are sentimental without being sappy.
Darudeboy

Rudeboy996 elpha15
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »

Ghost Face Killah:  Fishscale

Ludacris: Release Therapy

Young Dro: Best Thang Smoking

Busta Ryhmes:  The Big Bang

Ne Yo: In My Own Words

Snoop Dogg:  Blue Carpet Treatment

Jay: Kingdom Come

Lupe Fiasco:  Food & Liquo

I'm currently deployed in Iraq and it takes a while to get new cds here.  I cant wait for that Nas, Hip Hop is Dead: The N.

Here come da RUDEBOY!!!
ElectronicMister

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »

1: Matter of Life and Death, Maiden - best album this year, the number of spins it got in my various sound devices would probably take it to the moon and back

2: Inhuman Rampage, Dragonforce - infinitely listenable, melody melody melody, and speed like your mom takes to make it through the day

3: The Scattering of Ashes, Into Eternity - happened upon this randomly, nice combination of growls and vocals

4: Where's Neil Gaiman When You Need Him?, Various artists what's this? various artists? yes. and only a few of them are metal. how dare I? well, it's just a nice eclectic mix of songs, having to do with Gaiman stories, which are awesome

5: Gretzky. Electro Quarterstaff - because I couldn't find any Fuckin' Champs this year, I needed my bizarre instrumental metal

honourable mention goes to the saddest and most suprisingly good album of 2006:

A TWISTED CHRISTMAS, TWISTED SISTER

My hat is
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: