Author Topic: Tales of Berseria

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Berseria
« Reply #330 on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »
Beat the game last night....that ending killed me.

Post a spoileriffic reason why??
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
Beat the game last night....that ending killed me.

Post a spoileriffic reason why??
I can't, I'm dead.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »
That sucks. :(
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #333 on: February 21, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »
Depends if you want Zestiria spoilers as well. But I'm still recovering from the ending too.

Tales of games are usually terrible at final arcs, but Berseria's was pretty spot on.

If it's not clear from my review, I really loved this game. It's up there with Xillia, Abyss and Vesperia as one of my favourites.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Depends if you want Zestiria spoilers as well. But I'm still recovering from the ending too.

Tales of games are usually terrible at final arcs, but Berseria's was pretty spot on.

If it's not clear from my review, I really loved this game. It's up there with Xillia, Abyss and Vesperia as one of my favourites.
NO, THIS WAS HORRIBLE! BAD THINGS HAPPENED! D IS NOT HAPPY!

I mean urgh, I'm dead still.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »

NO, THIS WAS HORRIBLE! BAD THINGS HAPPENED! D IS NOT HAPPY!

I mean urgh, I'm dead still.

Spoiler: show
They brought back the magic gun?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 22, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
ok, I don't want Zesty spoilers, so nevermind.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
I thought the ending was tttthhhhhaaaaaaa sssshhhhiiiiitttttt.

The end game was my favourite part of Berseria.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »
I finished Berseria yesterday.  It's been a while since an ending punched me in the gut like that.  Even the artwork during the end credits...  I hope the next Tales game isn't quite that dark.  I don't think I could take two of those in a row.

I think that Berseria has the best written villain, not only in the Tales series, but possibly in any game I've played.  Spoiler: I'm not talking about the antagonist.

As someone who plays Tales games for the character writing, Berseria definitely delivered.  It's interesting to consider the sharpness of the contrasts in the main cast, particularly with respect to Velvet.  Magilou is apathetic; Velvet is driven.  Eleanor is highly moral, while Velvet is amoral.  Rokurou lives by a code; Velvet has none.

My complaints are fairly minor, but: 1. Sakuraba should probably retire; 2. I don't care for the quantity over quality loot system; 3. Not enough Magilou backstory.  I guess it would be nice if they put more budget into map/graphical design, but if it's a choice between that and the writing, I'll take the writing.

I don't know when the next Tales games comes out, but as long as they keep making them like this, I'll keep buying them at release.

JohnA

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
Working on Berseria's platinum right now and I'm still having a great time with the game. Definitely my favorite in the whole Tales series with fun mini-games and battle system, well written story, great characters and side quests. Never a dull moment.

It's going to be a tough act for Bamco to follow.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2017, 02:18:32 AM »
I haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia even though I own Graces F I just gave up on the series after hearing some pretty poor stuff. So I picked this up after finishing Persona 5 and damn wow I was not expecting this good of a game. That ending though, ouch right in the feels, it was very bittersweet. Velvet may be my favorite main character for a JRPG in a long, long time, and the cast was fantastic

So after finishing it a few days ago, I decided to watch the new Tales of Zesteria X anime now knowing the two were set in the same world.  I didn't want to play the game since it came before Berseria and never directly reference it but this new anime connects the two and I can't recommend it enough if you loved Berseria. It relates back to Berseria and Velvet a number of times and has two episodes dedicated to the opening of Berseria(it was to promote the game I believe when it originally aired).  I am looking forward to the last episode tomorrow to get some closure for Berseria.

sasori_scorpion

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 28, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
Hi there,

it's interessting to see these different optinions of the game.
i have to say that i was really disapointed by Berseria.
There were only some minor setpieces here and there, but nothing really outstanding.
I think the ending was just the best part of the story, everything else was just not that
interessting. I did enjoy Xillia 1 and loved Vesperia and Zestiria, but Berseria was lacking something I can't pinpoint excactly.
But on the other hand it's good to see there are enough people who liked the game, everybody got his own opinion in the end... ;)

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 28, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
I haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia even though I own Graces F I just gave up on the series after hearing some pretty poor stuff. So I picked this up after finishing Persona 5 and damn wow I was not expecting this good of a game. That ending though, ouch right in the feels, it was very bittersweet. Velvet may be my favorite main character for a JRPG in a long, long time, and the cast was fantastic

So after finishing it a few days ago, I decided to watch the new Tales of Zesteria X anime now knowing the two were set in the same world.  I didn't want to play the game since it came before Berseria and never directly reference it but this new anime connects the two and I can't recommend it enough if you loved Berseria. It relates back to Berseria and Velvet a number of times and has two episodes dedicated to the opening of Berseria(it was to promote the game I believe when it originally aired).  I am looking forward to the last episode tomorrow to get some closure for Berseria.

Glad to hear the anime is good, I tend to avoid adaptations like that but I'll throw it into the rotation next to My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan, and Atom: The Beginning.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
I've been playing this and loving it, but I'm not sure I see what everyone else is with respect to it having an "amazing story".  Glad to hear the final arc is very good, because yeah, Tales games can't really have a claim to that otherwise.  Am I almost there (saw Laphicet get pissy at Velvet on the boat and he tried that silly mask on)???
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
Nah you still got a while to go.  Game was kinda long, padded by boring dungeons.