Author Topic: Tales of Berseria

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Tales of Berseria
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
Nah you still got a while to go.  Game was kinda long, padded by boring dungeons.

Yeah I took a bit of a break with some swamp area shortly after that.... Why did they ever think these dungeons/overworld areas (they're basically just as interesting so I'm lumping them together) was ever EVER a good idea??  I don't understand how you fall so many steps back after what the series did when it was YOUNGER. : /
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
At least the extra dungeon was a breath of fresh air compared to the tediousness of the last couple of entries.
Actually did it all which I haven't done since Graces F.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
At least the extra dungeon was a breath of fresh air compared to the tediousness of the last couple of entries.
Actually did it all which I haven't done since Graces F.

Yeah the EX dungeon was worth it for extra story reasons and the scene at the end.  It was also kinda challening but I think it had a lot to do with understanding how to heavily exploit weaknesses to make the time attack.  Or just get a bunch of kat souls and cake walk through it.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
Betsbuy had Berseria on sale for $24 so I picked it up
Thinking of putting down P5 for it. Finding the social link stuff to be a little too integrated. I just want to run through a story, and explore. Damn cat wont let me make lockpicks! There is nothing wrong with that sort of thing but its just not my thing.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
Wow the user interface in the menus is awful. Scrolling text for super short descriptions, yet the screen has a bunch of space and can clearly display more.
Thats just bad and weird.

JohnA

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
Finally got the Platinum for this game last night after months of chipping away at it. Game was fun, but the trophy gets really grindy towards the end.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 27, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Wow the user interface in the menus is awful. Scrolling text for super short descriptions, yet the screen has a bunch of space and can clearly display more.
ur awful...

TASTY!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #352 on: May 29, 2017, 06:25:50 PM »
ur awful...

He's right though.  I wonder if it's that bad in the JP version?  Because waiting for text to scroll more often than not mean I won't have the patience to sit through it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 30, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
ur awful...

He's right though.  I wonder if it's that bad in the JP version?  Because waiting for text to scroll more often than not mean I won't have the patience to sit through it.

I imagine it is or the scrolling function wouldn't be there at all. Since Japanese is usually shorter than English when written it must look even stupider in the original.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 30, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
Are all of the arts for my npc party members active in battle? Or do I have to manually set what moves they can use?
I see all of the checkboxes by their attacks and they all seem to be on, but when I hit L2 to look at the Set Artes page it shows only a few of their moves. Or is the Set Artes page just for when I want to take direct control of that character?

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
So I just reached the point where Velvet returns to her home village for the first time.  Seriously fucked up what happened there.  The whole thing was a total mind fuck for Velvet.  I can't help but feel bad for what happened there.  On a side note, there is a Katz box by her house I didn't have enough Katz souls to open.  If I leave the region, will I be able to return to open it?

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:18 AM »
So I just reached the point where Velvet returns to her home village for the first time.  Seriously fucked up what happened there.  The whole thing was a total mind fuck for Velvet.  I can't help but feel bad for what happened there.  On a side note, there is a Katz box by her house I didn't have enough Katz souls to open.  If I leave the region, will I be able to return to open it?
99% sure every katz box is always available to aquire throughout the game once you find it the first time. Her hometown remains accessible for the rest of the game minus obvious scenario locked segments. Pre final dungeon, EVERYWHERE is accessible.

TASTY!

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
I've gotten further along into the game.  I'm putting my comments into spoilers since the game is still a relatively recent release, even though anyone reading this thread has probably beaten the game ages ago.

Spoiler: show
So I got to the point where Innominant was revived and its aftermath.  Assuming the memories the crew saw as they escaped the Earthpulse, I can't help but think Melchior is a complete and utter bastard.  It's clear that his goal from before the Opening occurred was to revive Innominant.  After Artorius lost his wife and child he used the man's grief to manipulate him into following his plan.  Up until those scenes, I had believed that Artorius sacrificed Celica and his unborn child in order to begin the awakening of Innominant.  Instead, Celica gave her life to save Arthur.  His past is almost as tragic as Velvet's.

The one thing that does kind of upset me is that it turns out Laphicet (Velvet's brother, not the party member) chose to be sacrificed.  In some ways I think his act was selfish and selfless.  Part of his motivation is almost certainly a desire to give his own death meaning.  Instead of dying of illness, he can die giving humanity the power it needs to fight back against the daemons.  On the other hand, his request to keep this information from Velvet destroyed her.  I think the reason he asked to keep her ignorant is because if she knew, she would've been able to talk him out of it.  I think that was selfish on his part as his death destroyed her.

The one thing I'm wondering about now is if Melchior played a role in the villagers of Aball selling out Artorious and his family to those brigands turned daemons.  A part of me suspects he definitely had a role as I find it extremely convenient that he would be on hand at Aball during the opening.  If this is the case, please don't confirm or deny as I don't want to be spoiled.

The final scene during the crew's escape from the earthpulse gave me a case of the feels, I'm embarrassed to admit.  I found myself moved by Phi's devotion to Velvet and the depths of Velvet's grief and despair.  The actress who played Velvet did a superb job during the whole sequence.  You can sense her coming apart at the seams emotionally and psychologically during their escape.  If the acting had been done with the same level as Namco's earlier localization efforts, the whole thing would've fallen flat.  Seriously, the actress who played Velvet is good.

Needless to say, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
Nah you still got a while to go.  Game was kinda long, padded by boring dungeons.

Yeah I took a bit of a break with some swamp area shortly after that.... Why did they ever think these dungeons/overworld areas (they're basically just as interesting so I'm lumping them together) was ever EVER a good idea??  I don't understand how you fall so many steps back after what the series did when it was YOUNGER. : /

Wait so you liked super ginormous cross-grid sprints? I mean.. it was passable but seeing where I'm going and all that is a pretty nice development..
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 22, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »

I've noticed every JRPG has a kind of brutal beginning.. it's almost always lets escape this dungeon/war/explosion.. well basically they're always all screwed up in the beginning, but I think with 3D graphics in the modern era it makes it more real for people perhaps.

You need to play for like 14 hours before you get to relative safety honestly.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.