Author Topic: Tales of Berseria

Hathen

• View Profile
Tales of Berseria
« on: June 06, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »
Well before any of us have even gotten our hands on Zestiria, this is announced.

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/tales-berseria-announced-ps4-ps3

So I guess I'll be the first to say it

What the hell is going on with that outfit

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Tales of Berseria
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:08 AM »
Oh new topic!
*snip*

Abyssal Chronicles has info:

Tales of Berseria, surprisingly, will feature a female main protagonist. The character's name is Velvet ( ベルベット, berubetto) and will be voiced by Rina Satou. Ms. Satou also made an appearance at the event and expressed that she actually auditioned for the role. Her quote reads "I will not give up. No matter how many times they try, I'll devour them."

The main character designer for Velvet is Mutsumi Inomata. Velvet is apparently a female pirate, and themes of pirates and ships were shown during the short scenery video they played at the event.

No background information on Velvet or the game was given, as they said it is not yet time to give out said info. ufotable will be in charge of the animated cutscenes.

PIRATES!  FEMALE LEAD! UFO! VELEVET ROOM! DUAL RELEASE PS3/4
VA is the same woman who did Presa from Xillia and that chick from one of my old avatars.

I'm seriooously and pleasantly surprised no Zesty 2 [yet].

So I guess I'll be the first to say it

What the hell is going on with that outfit

Well it appears to be a torn up dress of some sorts.  It looks like Tales of Destiny's Rutee grew out her hair and lengthened her outfit.

I'm hyped hoping for (and in the absence of like ALL information) that the pirate stuff can fill me with a similar sense of 'adventure' like Vespy did way back when.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:04:02 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:18 PM »
This already seems more interesting than Zestiria. Intriguing.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »
I wonder if the Rutee resemblance means that it might take place in the Swordians' past in Tales of Destiny.  After all, one of the Swordians was Berselius.  

I'm cool with a female protagonist, but I hope they give her a personality and not just go all "tsundere sex kitten" on us. But I get the feeling that it will be tsundere sex kitten in the end.  

Pool of Thorns' singer rocks a variety of tattered or shredded up dresses on stage, but they always looked more badass than slutty.  So while I can dig the tatter dress, the way it's done on Velvet is closer to slutty.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:38:16 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »
I like the outfit, it really is reminiscient of Rutee, albeit a bit more flowy and tattered.

I guess it's safe to say that she's gonna use Azure Fang over Demon Fang....

TASTY!

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »
I wonder if the Rutee resemblance means that it might take place in the Swordians' past in Tales of Destiny.  After all, one of the Swordians was Berselius.

It would be dope if Berseria was tied into Destiny.  Doubt it though.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »
Don't like the outfit. Reminds me of that J-rock stuff screaming teenage girls wore during the 00's but even less wearable.

I like the premise, though. A female pirate who is not a loli? Cool.

Oh, but they give this one a proper overworld, because piraties means ships and ships means seas!

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
{Looks at female MC}

Look, I appreciate having a female protagonist and all that, I really do, but does she really need to look like a stripper? Because that's what she looks like. She also seems to be too serious for her own good, though at this point, it's too early to really tell just what her personalities' going to be, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
{Looks at female MC}

Look, I appreciate having a female protagonist and all that, I really do, but does she really need to look like a stripper? Because that's what she looks like. She also seems to be too serious for her own good, though at this point, it's too early to really tell just what her personalities' going to be, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I guess she's a step-up from Milla's bondage straps, so there's that.

Don't like the outfit. Reminds me of that J-rock stuff screaming teenage girls wore during the 00's but even less wearable.

I like the premise, though. A female pirate who is not a loli? Cool.

Oh, but they give this one a proper overworld, because piraties means ships and ships means seas!

Once again Tomara is my spirit animal/voice of reason.

But responding a bit to the internet void that's hating her look: I won't judge the outfit till I see a non-blurry photo of a photo.  Cuz I'm not really sure what I'm looking at....besides a JRock Vampire

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:57:44 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
I wonder if the Rutee resemblance means that it might take place in the Swordians' past in Tales of Destiny.  After all, one of the Swordians was Berselius.  

I'm cool with a female protagonist, but I hope they give her a personality and not just go all "tsundere sex kitten" on us. But I get the feeling that it will be tsundere sex kitten in the end.  

Pool of Thorns' singer used to rock a variety of tattered or shredded up dresses on stage, but they always looked more badass than slutty.  So while I can dig the tatter dress, the way it's done on Velvet is closer to slutty.

You know, I totally missed the J-Rock connection. Given how the black coat resembles a Captain's Coat (though with some kind of ridiculous off the shoulder thing going on on both shoulders) and all the belts and assorted accessories, I can see what they were trying to go for (emphasis on trying since I still feel that this missed the mark, especially since running around on the deck of a ship on the high seas so underdressed is a very good way to cook yourself where you stand).

That said, I still feel wary since this is still a Tales of Gamia and Tales of Gamia doesn't do female protagonists so much as female leads, so we'll see if they can finally buck the trend or if they'll simply delegate her to the role of designated love interest to the real protagonist.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »
I wish Velvet's name was actually Berbett to keep the whole Ber- naming convention going.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
This just in: they decide the name for a new entry in the series by trying to read out the previous name whilst drunk.

Is this actually their first female protagonist? Or did Xilia count (I didn't play it). I hope she's as good as Tear from Abyss, I liked her very muchly.
Also, the gematsu page says a "sole" protagonist. Are they ditching the party approach?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 06:18:58 PM by timmyFd »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:31:18 PM »
Also, the gematsu page says a "sole" protagonist. Are they ditching the party approach?

I'm not them of course but I'm pretty sure they're just trying to contrast with Xillia's dual protagonists.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
This just in: they decide the name for a new entry in the series by trying to read out the previous name whilst drunk.

Is this actually their first female protagonist? Or did Xilia count (I didn't play it).

I sort of count Xillia since Jude was more of a 'secondary plot character' than a primary one.  Literally he just got lucky, he meets Milla first but that was enough to qualify him sharing the spotlight with her.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 08:35:27 PM »
When it comes to video game/anime type lady pirates, it's ALL about Ruby Heart.  That's a great outfit.

http://marvelvscapcom.wikia.com/wiki/Ruby_Heart
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun