Author Topic: Tales of Berseria

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Berseria
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »
Oof, looks like I got more to look forward to, and Zerestia's not even out yet. At least this'll put the one Nintendo fanboy who still thinks Tales will come to the Wii U to rest...after he's done having his tantrum...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »
This just in: they decide the name for a new entry in the series by trying to read out the previous name whilst drunk.

Is this actually their first female protagonist? Or did Xilia count (I didn't play it).

I sort of count Xillia since Jude was more of a 'secondary plot character' than a primary one.  Literally he just got lucky, he meets Milla first but that was enough to qualify him sharing the spotlight with her.

Basically, they treated Jude and Milla as co-protagonists because just having a female protagonist was too much for them at the time. The $64,000 question is whether or not they're ready for it now (or if this is some sort of half-hearted response to Zesty or something).

While I can't say that I count Xillia 1 (especially since they ended up replacing both with an entirely different dude for Xillia 2), I do feel that at least they got kinda close with that one. Compared to how games that feature A) distinct male and female protagonists that have alternate scenarios (that usually winds up giving the male lead the better/more interesting scenario) , B) different male or female protagonists that have similar scenarios but a couple of different stages/lines/responses (to accommodate for the different genders usually the female due to the scenario being written primarily with the male in mind) or C) a generic protagonist that can be either male or female (but is almost always assumed to be male and will be referenced as such in future titles), Xillia 1 did do a better job than most.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
I really hope they're going to think outside the box canyon on this one.

...I'll see myself out.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 02:58:58 AM »
I wish Velvet's name was actually Berbett to keep the whole Ber- naming convention going.

I'll apologise advance for what I'm about to say (Sorry!): Then let's hope Berbett doesn't develop beriberi in jail.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 03:23:12 AM »
I wish Velvet's name was actually Berbett to keep the whole Ber- naming convention going.

I'll apologise advance for what I'm about to say (Sorry!): Then let's hope Berbett doesn't develop beriberi in jail.

You guys should've seen my comments on the subject in the Tales of Playstationia Revealed megathread. I was laying it on thick before I got the whole punk look angle.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
So...this image from the RPGFan story.

Am I the only one who's first thought on seeing the screenshot on the right was, "Oh hey that looks like Jude in a long haired wig,"? Because I cannot unsee it at this point. >.>

Also I found the quote of " We don't know much more then that unfortunately, but we do know the game will be going for a more diverse set of situations and locations this time around. There will be locations ranging from cities of snow, to islands of perpetual summer," to be hilarious since the snow city and the desert city are both pretty much staples of Tales of games.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 07:39:16 AM »
There will be locations ranging from cities of snow, to islands of perpetual summer," to be hilarious since the snow city and the desert city are both pretty much staples of Tales of games.

Yeah and you know the desert city's going to have some faux arabic named like Al-Berzel and the snow city's going to be called something like Berrrrr.

re:  I still kind of want to play Rebirth because it fulfills my ~furry fantasies~ and has lovely pine trees, but on the otter hand I don't really get along well with Tales games (also pretend I stuck like thirty more furry puns in that).
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »
It's just like when they interview Bollywood actors about their latest movie: They all say "it's different" or "it's the same, but different" when it's all just the same old rehashed formula of hammy overacting, boy and girl running around a tree, and songs that inexplicably cut to exotic locales.  

You know the PR people involved with a project will be selling it.  

I am semi-interested since it's a Tales game with a dedicated female protagonist (anyone who knows me knows I always choose or create a female protagonist in an RPG), though I get the feeling she'll just fall into the tsundere or tsundere sex kitten trap since Tales doesn't deviate too far from tropes.  That being said, I'm totally cool with tropey stuff done well.  After all, there are only a limited number of possible literary plots, right?   http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html

I remember creating a female protagonist in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, but the dialogue and all stayed the same as if I was a boy.  Like there was this one sidebar where Stahn wants to train with you instead of Rutee because he feels bad about hitting a girl.  And I'm like "You fool, I AM a girl!!!  Fucking cop out!"  That's why when I played Fate/Extra as a girl and my female familiar said something flirty as if I was a guy, I almost screamed "cop out!" until I saw the dialogue choices- one of them was "ummm, you know I'm a girl, right?"  I also liked the way that Wild Arms XF flipped the script.  Instead of a doofus guy being oblivious to the girl's crush on him, we had a self-righteous girl oblivious to the boy's crush on her.  Tradition with a twist.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:53:22 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »
re:  I still kind of want to play Rebirth because it fulfills my ~furry fantasies~

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
Lol "a diversity of situations and locations" is pretty standard business buzzword speak. I don't think I've ever played a single RPG that didn't have a diversity of situations and locations.

They could've at least thrown the word "eclectic" in there, noobs.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »
So...this image from the RPGFan story.

Am I the only one who's first thought on seeing the screenshot on the right was, "Oh hey that looks like Jude in a long haired wig,"? Because I cannot unsee it at this point. >.>

Despite Jude going through puberty and his adult body gaining some control over the hormones that were partly responsible with his obsession with Milla in the first place, his second final goodbye weighs heavy on his mind. After much consideration, he sees only one course of action: if he can't be with Milla, he will become Milla!

(I like ruining things for others :D )

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »
Despite Jude going through puberty and his adult body gaining some control over the hormones...

The way you wrote that makes me think of some sort of Emeralda scene where he magically is bestowed with an adult body. This being Tales, that... sounds possible.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 12:07:26 PM »
I remember someone once saying "Emeralda grew up in Fei's pants" because of how the sprites looked.  

And as for the "Ber" motif, the desert town needs to have Berber people in it.  And if we're staying in Africa, Velvet can battle Somalian pirates. 

Yo, if there's a pirate theme I would hope there's some ship-to-ship battles or at least a pirate ship mini-game like that one part of Tales of Destiny in the boat.  

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:20:32 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »

And as for the "Ber" motif, the desert town needs to have Berber people in it.  And if we're staying in Africa, Velvet can battle Somalian pirates. 

And instead of Yggrasil or some other super important flora they should have a berberis shrubs. They can be, like, really big or something. Epic.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
Oh, and we need a massive battle royale of lady pirates:  Velvet, Faris, Ruby Heart, Anne Bonny, Mary Read...