Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 01:32:46 AM »
I think my thing with ME and Bioware in general is they've got all this flash and panache and it's all stylish and can be enjoyable...

and yet take like DA:I, it's basically all that but is it really like immersive in a video gamey sense? I don't know... I still feel like all things considered, even with all the "depth" and "characterization" Tetris is still a preferable experience...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 01:40:43 AM »
^ you're a savant at making statements where the conclusion has nothing to do with the premise.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 01:49:57 AM »
^ you're a savant at making statements where the conclusion has nothing to do with the premise.

Well like the idea is that we're playing video games which have an appeal not necessarily transliterated into "Character X" and consequently can be enjoyable based on kind of just addicting value, etc.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Alex D.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 02:51:52 PM »
I love the franchise but after playing DA:I I have a similiar concerns as y'all.

1. The MMO/Bethesda styled open world design might not suit a narrative heavy game like ME. There is just too much down time between interesting story beats.
2. Bioware in ME games has a tendency to paint moral choices in binary colors which they handled a lot better in DA:O and to a lesser degree in DA:I.
3. The UI was catastrophic in DA:I. So many unnecessary clicks. Gotta love console interfaces on PC. I won't mention the camera problems :D
4. The collision detection and the traversal animation quality was somewhat abysmal.

Nitpicking aside DA:I is still amazing and I am excited to get my hands on Andromeda. I hope Bioware has learned to utilise the Frostbite Engine even better. And the released footage looks really promising. I look forward for a mix of Star Trek and Firefly.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 07:04:51 PM »
I love the franchise but after playing DA:I I have a similiar concerns as y'all.

1. The MMO/Bethesda styled open world design might not suit a narrative heavy game like ME. There is just too much down time between interesting story beats.
2. Bioware in ME games has a tendency to paint moral choices in binary colors which they handled a lot better in DA:O and to a lesser degree in DA:I.
3. The UI was catastrophic in DA:I. So many unnecessary clicks. Gotta love console interfaces on PC. I won't mention the camera problems :D
4. The collision detection and the traversal animation quality was somewhat abysmal.

Nitpicking aside DA:I is still amazing and I am excited to get my hands on Andromeda. I hope Bioware has learned to utilise the Frostbite Engine even better. And the released footage looks really promising. I look forward for a mix of Star Trek and Firefly.

ive read they got rid of paragon/renegade system so they can have more morally grey choices.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 12:36:54 AM »
Simply put I think Bioware games are good, not great.

BG1 was their best IMO and it's been all downhill.

My biggest problem is just the combat in them has never been fun.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 12:48:35 AM »

Stuff like this too, collision, UI, messing around with Open World.

They always make a pretty epic big splash with music and all that, but the details of gameplay and such I often find befuddling and ultimately irritating.

But like that said I still enjoyed DA:I.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:50:14 AM by Artimicia »

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »
I would really like it if they just kept the plot of this game to space exploration, we don't really need some ancient evil to rally the universe against. We'll explore a new galaxy, see some interesting stuff, maybe fight some cool new monsters. Hoping for more political stuff too, especially since it's a new galaxy and all the established orders go out the window. They should make the challenges of forming new alliances to races we've never seen and the logistical problems of colonizing a planet the main focus. (Someone should totally make a game about the Plymouth Colony)

Just feel like the series, and many other games could afford to scale it down a bit. It's going to be hard to top the Reaper threat in terms of scale, not that they were ever that interesting anyways. Let's just have a nice space adventure, broker peace between some alien races and settle humanity on a new planet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:59:34 PM by kofvscapcom »
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »
^no

The impending reaper invasion was far and away the best part about Mass Effect.  None of the characters are as compelling or the battles as fierce or desperate without the constant and overriding fear of total obliteration that permeated every square inch of that trilogy.

Take the antagonists away and you're basically left with a carbon copy of every other boring WRPG set in space.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 12:23:47 AM »
Except every WRPG has some looming, apocalyptic evil. Also, I found the combat & general gameplay to be the most compelling aspect of Mass Effect, personally. I mean, the story was alright, and I loved the overall pacing and presentation, which are actually my biggest complaints with most of the WRPGs I've tried, but I'm not gonna lie - I did not actually care about the Reapers. Especially in the third game, where it seemed like you could basically put off that threat for forever, and I wouldn't mind a different approach to it. Why not just give us something more personal to go off of? Or make it more politically oriented? Or hey, maybe they could try focusing even more on how these fantastical changes have changed society, because hey, its a sci-fi game!

I mean, I like fighting ultimate evil as much as the next guy, but it gets boring after a while. I mean, when everything seems like the "ultimate evil", what's so "ultimate" about it? =P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:25:33 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 12:39:41 AM »
^no

The impending reaper invasion was far and away the best part about Mass Effect.  None of the characters are as compelling or the battles as fierce or desperate without the constant and overriding fear of total obliteration that permeated every square inch of that trilogy.

Take the antagonists away and you're basically left with a carbon copy of every other boring WRPG set in space.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Imo, the reapers are probably the least interesting "race" in that universe. They're not that developed all things considered and they're mainly just the plot device of this "unbeatable nemesis." In fact, 3 games of building them up is probably at least partially what led to the ending of 3.

As for tension, I never really felt any in the series besides suicide mission and parts of 3. Yeah, the vague looming threat is always there, but you never feel as if you're actually racing against time. All that time you spend mining planets for resources and helping Jacob find his dad whos been missing for 10 years, etc  goes a long way to subvert that. The best aspect of bioware games are the characters, and almost none of the character stories have anything to do with the reapers(besides notably Javik and Liara). Even if you remove reapers, their backstories and loyalty mission stuff is exactly the same.

Everyones entitled to their opinion and I'm fine with agreeing to disagree on this. Also, not sure how many wrpgs are set in space besides ME and Kotor.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Alex D.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree that Bioware abuses the ultimate evil trope time and again. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to deconstruct that immediately and I am still able suspend my disbelief because in my opinion they still manage to create vibrant worlds.

I blame that on their high production values, especially on the epic music, the sound design and the above par voice acting (fem shep ftw) as Artimicia pointed out.

World building is another strong point in ME and in DA. It's a pity that Bioware has to use "ultimate evil" to tie the narrative together. A lot of their (side-)quests still tackle questions of science, politics, culture, economics and ethics. Sometimes they even reflect on "our" contemporary problems. No average Joe or Jane wants to solve complicated "real" problems because it's no fun. But everybody loves or rather hates a ultimate evil which makes it easier to focus the average player on a narrative goal. More players can enjoy the games without investing time to deal with lore. Dedicated players still have more than enough opportunity to explore the lore. I think that's the jump they made when the started to work with Microsoft. Bigger target audience means more money :D

Anyways as Volker Pispers, a German comedian, once has said: "If you wake up, knowing who the enemy is, the day has structure." ;)

Bioware released a new cinematic trailer btw:
https://youtu.be/nqvvVYfpc1g
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:11:15 PM by Alex D. »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:28 PM »
All I have to say about this game is, WHY does the release window need to pit it against Persona 5? The only two games that are vying for my attention as day 1 purchases in the foreseeable future right next to one another....Gee golly.

What I am looking for is justifiable reason to grab this Day 1 though. I don't like reading news/updates and spoiling anything for myself but I also sort of gave up buying games upon release without good reason.

Has there been any selling points revealed to these ends? Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on the matter?

See, the thing is I got on board with Mass Effect long after the trilogy and all content was released. That said, I couldn't have imagined that experience without the DLC at the end of 2 on through the finale'. One can only wonder what the case will be in this instance.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:20 AM »
I imagine I'll play it eventually as well, but maybe not right on release date.

Alex D.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
All I have to say about this game is, WHY does the release window need to pit it against Persona 5? The only two games that are vying for my attention as day 1 purchases in the foreseeable future right next to one another....Gee golly.

What I am looking for is justifiable reason to grab this Day 1 though. I don't like reading news/updates and spoiling anything for myself but I also sort of gave up buying games upon release without good reason.

Has there been any selling points revealed to these ends? Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on the matter?

See, the thing is I got on board with Mass Effect long after the trilogy and all content was released. That said, I couldn't have imagined that experience without the DLC at the end of 2 on through the finale'. One can only wonder what the case will be in this instance.

Well, I have to agree. That will be a tough choice. Unfortunately P5 is the safer bet imo if one considers Bioware's track record with DLC ...

P5 will be "complete" on release (maybe a little censored) in the west. JRPG developers usually don't bar story content (mostly just costumes, starting items and cheats) behind DLC unless Atlus intends to release a upgraded Persona 5 Golden FES Portable for the next Sony handheld. *fingers crossed*