Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »
Leaving the PC master race? What heresy is this? :P

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 07:17:59 PM »
Aaaaaaand after two days with this I'm gonna bow my head in shame and say this game is totally fantastic in my book.

^^ Strange statement : Explanation : While the game sports some terribly lazy/rushed design and it took me 3 tries to make a female that didn't look like a mongoloid, it all is exactly what I wanted from more Mass Effect.

They didn't abandon the over-the-top sci-drama tone of the first trilogy for anything too modern and I can't describe it but the the game just feels like the flawed but perfectly natural evolution of the series for me.

The gameplay feels spot-on IMO to boot which was something I was really worried about.

At the end of the day I feel like this game got ripped apart WAY worse than it deserved by both press and fan-base. It really IS more Mass Effect, what the hell did people expect? Mind you, the character editor is completely worth bitching about -- not that you CAN'T make a good looking character but BOY O BOY is it gonna take a few efforts to pull it off.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 08:10:01 PM »
And yet those websites got plenty of exposure because of it, while Bioware/EA get plenty of negative press that'll likely hurt their sales, people will get fired, and other people will have to rush just to fix a few buggy animations and a character editor.

Yeah, this is why I only go to three websites to learn about upcoming games...everybody just seems to want to destroy the very industry they chose to report on...

I mean, in retrospect, "NEWS FLASH! THE NEW MASS EFFECT GAME MAY NOT BE THE SECOND COMING OF JEEEESUS EVERYBODY!!! START RUNNING AROUND WITH YOUR HEADS CUT OFF!!! butmakesureyoulinkandsubscribebeforetheskyfallsthanksinadvance" was pretty much non-news to begin with. They should've saved their criticisms for the reviews, but I guess they realized everybody was already dead-set on playing it, because it was more Mass Effect, and therefore deemed their reviews unnecessary. And they were still a waste to read through. Because at the end of the day, a lot of us already knew whether or not we wanted to play it, any noteable criticisms already filtered through twitter, Youtube, and other articles that were already on a lot of websites, and the people on the fence most likely had completely different reasons to hold off on it than what kept going around the echo chamber.

It's so goddamn stupid...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:20:31 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
not that you CAN'T make a good looking character but BOY O BOY is it gonna take a few efforts to pull it off.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »
oh man, I put 12 hours into this game already. Yeah a lot of the animations are janky, on humans especially. Them being programmed to always face you when they're talking to you causes some very uncanny valley effects, especially when their hands are busy typing stuff on their omni-tool. But I quite like almost everything else. The limited inventory space and weapons/armor taking up space is kind of a weird design choice. Would've also preferred to have a mini-map.

Dodging attacks with the dash feels really good and the weapon mods that change firing properties are a good addition. It should be stated that I absolutely love the colonizing new planets theme so I'm probably more positive on this game than the average person. Considering hopping into some multiplayer.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:07 AM »
Multiplayer is great. All the problems with the game are absent from the multiplayer. Facial Animations don't show up there, its all about the combat. And this combat system is a small but every nice improvement from ME 3. The jump jets were a great idea.

The game has a very star trek feel to it. I feel like Andromeda is the game people hoped No Man's Sky was going to be. Lots of planets to explore, resources to scan, caves to explore. And with the added bonus of an actual detailed story.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:43:53 AM by bigdeath »

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
pic

You had to see the one about Ronald McRyder. Shame I didn't save it and can't find the link.

And yet those websites got plenty of exposure because of it, while Bioware/EA get plenty of negative press that'll likely hurt their sales, people will get fired, and other people will have to rush just to fix a few buggy animations and a character editor.

Yeah, this is why I only go to three websites to learn about upcoming games...everybody just seems to want to destroy the very industry they chose to report on...

Chill out, don't get too emotional about a silly videogame. The criticisms are valid because the game was 4 years in development, with EA's deep pockets blessings and when finally released, it is in such a poor state. Not even DA2 was this messed up. It's hard to accept in what is considered a "triple A" title + $60 price tag.

It's like when a shitty game is released and receives 11/10 or "OMG ASHUM!!!one!1!!" but reversed. I'm glad Bethesda took a beating with FO4 and I'm glad again to see it happen to EA/Bioware. Learn from your mistakes and aim to improve or die already.

Schadenfreude for (almost) everyone. :D

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2017, 01:08:51 AM »
It's not just about the game. I've seen similar situations in other areas, and I just get tired of it. And I guess, full disclosure - I hate people. Just in general. So I guess you could say I'm just voicing my frustrations with a larger part of human nature that makes me ashamed to be born a human being.

...Now that I think about, the fact that they aren't offering the option to play as an alien is disappointing...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
This video perfectly articulates why I thought this game would be the fat disappointing turd that the meh reviews say it was.

https://youtu.be/QDjci1ODoBs

If the first 3 games were Tolkien then Andromeda is the D&D movie.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:19 PM »
My biggest peeves with the game thus far are the insufferable loading times between planets during space exploration. Each planet has to go through like a 10 second loading process, it's really aggrivating. I also despise the auto cover system, it handles really poorly and I constantly find my character standing in plain view while his cover is right there and being useless. The sheer amount of weaponry is also a bit...annoying, especially since to change your weapon loadout you have to do so from the ship or from a forward station, leaving you stuck with your gun package for a while if you're in a hostile camp or "dungeon". Combat also feels..funky. Idk what it is exactly but controls for the camera feel very sluggish then all of a sudden it jerks hard. Finesse is hard to implement when the camera goes from 0-3 then from 4-10090. Also, I give up on trying to defend animations, I'm tired of male Ryder's running animation and tripping animations. They're annoying, this mother fucker seriously can't fucking walk normal at all.

Those rants being said, it's still mass effect. I like the nomad a lot (wish it had weapons though), and I enjoy the side banter from your companions (last guy falling asleep in the nomad is particularly funny). Camera whines aside, the jump and dodge/evade buttons are fun and useful, and though I'm still running basic soldier stuff, the new abilities like the flak cannon and the tripmine are fun to use. The story is....pretty lame honestly, nowhere near as awesome as ME2 or even 3...but I feel like 1 felt this way to me at first as well. I'm not unhappy with my purchase, but I may be overly critical due to running through horizon and nier 2 over the last month. Seriously, best 2 games I've played in ages, and this is ok still.

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
My biggest peeves with the game thus far are the insufferable loading times between planets during space exploration. Each planet has to go through like a 10 second loading process, it's really aggrivating. I also despise the auto cover system, it handles really poorly and I constantly find my character standing in plain view while his cover is right there and being useless. The sheer amount of weaponry is also a bit...annoying, especially since to change your weapon loadout you have to do so from the ship or from a forward station, leaving you stuck with your gun package for a while if you're in a hostile camp or "dungeon". Combat also feels..funky. Idk what it is exactly but controls for the camera feel very sluggish then all of a sudden it jerks hard. Finesse is hard to implement when the camera goes from 0-3 then from 4-10090.

Yeah, these bits are something I'm really gonna have to take into account when I play it (Amazon still hasn't shipped it yet for some reason! ARGH!!!). I hadn't heard about the inability to change weapon loadouts except in certain locations until now, so thanks for that. I can see that being annoying in literally any RPG.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
My biggest peeves with the game thus far are the insufferable loading times between planets during space exploration. Each planet has to go through like a 10 second loading process, it's really aggrivating. I also despise the auto cover system, it handles really poorly and I constantly find my character standing in plain view while his cover is right there and being useless. The sheer amount of weaponry is also a bit...annoying, especially since to change your weapon loadout you have to do so from the ship or from a forward station, leaving you stuck with your gun package for a while if you're in a hostile camp or "dungeon". Combat also feels..funky. Idk what it is exactly but controls for the camera feel very sluggish then all of a sudden it jerks hard. Finesse is hard to implement when the camera goes from 0-3 then from 4-10090.

Yeah, these bits are something I'm really gonna have to take into account when I play it (Amazon still hasn't shipped it yet for some reason! ARGH!!!). I hadn't heard about the inability to change weapon loadouts except in certain locations until now, so thanks for that. I can see that being annoying in literally any RPG.
Don't get me wrong, you have a lot places to change loadouts (trying not to spoil anything even minor so I apologize for vagueness), the bigger problem is the massive variety of weapons and the minimal 2 gun (upgradeable to 4) loadout you're given. You can carry a shitload of weapons at a sacrifice to power recharge speed, but the bigger problem arises in that to test each weapon out you need enemies, and that means you're away from the places to change loadouts, nevermind the actual changing takes time. I feel like ME3 was WAAAAAYYYYYYYY more streamlined jn this regard because I remember having to change weapons every now and then for shits and giggles, but the sheer amount of guns in Andromeda dwarfs 3 by a vast margin. Everything in Andromeda feels somewhat slower actually...

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »
Bah, that reminds me of ReCore for some reason, actually. Well, there's a chance I may cancel my pre-order (or, just "order" now that it's been so long), so I may find out sooner than later.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »
I am a sniper and I screwed up by crafting a rifle with grenade lobbing (I thought it would make my bullets explosive, not make my shots go in a damn arc) and carried it into a story sequence. I had to use my damn back up weapon the whole sequence because I could not swap to anything just sitting around in my inventory, WTF!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2017, 11:02:13 PM »
On the plus side, it seems that Bioware has a plan of action for all the feedback they've gained, which they'll share on April 4th: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/bioware-share-plans-address-mass-effect-andromeda-feedback-april-4

I Draw Stuff Sometimes