Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:24:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dawn of Mana: Might not be an RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dawn of Mana: Might not be an RPG?  (Read 5136 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2006, 05:09:10 PM »

Impressions of the game.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 06:07:28 PM »

Meh seems about as RPG to me as a Zelda game does.  Course ive never really thought of zelda as a rpg, more of a action game with some rpg elements *shrug*

Anyways, maybe theres a purpose behind this that we dont know yet...I guess as they say "Only time will tell"

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:20:12 PM »

I was really hoping SD4 would be a return to the RPG-fied Zelda formula that SD1-3 had, since it's a new numbered installment. Instead, this is sounding like Kingdom Hearts with elements from Time Stalkers and, I believe, Mysterious Dungeon games; I'm pretty sure both had that whole 'reset your stats upon leaving the dungeon' crap anyway. Man, I wish we had more action RPGs in the vein of stuff like the old Mana titles and Crystalis. :P
Valthrudnir

egokrvsher
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »

I absolutely loved Secret of Mana. I enjoyed the Sword of Mana port for the GBA. Hell, I even liked the fan translation of Seiken Densetsu 3 (I believe it was three that never had a proper US release?). This is a bit unnerving. I've always waited for the day that the series would see a release similar to the Secret of Mana style. Seems my hopes are being shot down.

The game looks like Kingdom Hearts with levels instead of a constant world. I am not impressed, but I'll probably play it anyway.

Edit: God, it took me so long to post that you beat me to the punch, Eusis. High fives all around.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

The Havok physics engine the game uses looks pretty neat. This would also mark the first Mana game that uses voice acting. The bright and colorful colors in the environments reminds me of Secret of Mana's look. I'm still giving it a shot, as always. I play almost anything. :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 07:26:11 PM »

I didn't really care that much for SD3, and I liked SD2 a lot but not as much as everyone else did apparently. In other words, if it's an action game, I don't really care in the least, if it's fun action. "Not turn based" seems to be the only unifying factor of the series anyway. SD2 and SD3 didn't really play that similarly, so yeah.

I liked being able to customize everything to hell and back in Legend, so the getting reset after every chapter bit DOES sound irritating.

If it was just experience levels, I wouldn't care, but it sounds like you lose everything, which is lame. Actually, do you even get armors and stuff? Now potentially this wouldn't be bad, assuming you get different weapons to play with in different chapters, or different skill progression. If it's the same skill progression over and over again?

I guess the lack of a constant world sounds kind of lame too. That did sort of stop me from enjoying Threads of Fate (which I never played much and probably ought to). Also, I guess the Mana games have had a tendency to change parts of the world as you finish it or add sidequests, and all of them except Sword and the first one have had rather large portions where the linearity drops out (Last third of SD2, a little over a half of three, most of the fourth). SD3 and SD4 also had different plot progressions you could get through depending on what characters you teamed up with -- SD3 with it's trinity (Triangle?) system; SD4 had the three main storylines in it. And in both cases it added replay value cause you got to see different perspectives and stuff. Like, minor characters would be very important in other storyline, or in SD3 for instance a few of the villains actually became more than just 2D obstacles. Actually, since I think FF:CC got brought up, I also remember areas in that changing over time -- mostly dungeons, but a bit in towns. That's a neat touch, that seems impossible to do with Dawn of Mana.

Granted, I'm sort of hoping that depending on how you get graded on these missions, you unlock different branches, or possibly get to make choices (Contra: Hard Corps, anyone?). That would be neat. We haven't had an action game like that for awhile, so yeah.

The video DID look fun though, and it seems gorgeous. I'll withhold judgment till then. Ifffff it's not good, eh, Ookami, and I've got a big backlog of every other

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 07:46:43 PM »

Can't square just stop trying to change the Mana series around so much?

They know what the fans want, just give it to us already!

They should just put a port of Secret of Mana on the DS with global wi fi. Everyone would love that.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »

how could you not like SD3? unless you are a casual gamer that plays like an hour a day(lol!) SD3 is easily the best of the series.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »

SD3 was slow and really easy, and the controls are really clunky. I don't like how everyone but Hawk has a really long wait period after each attack. I also generally had a hard time getting my characters to move how I wanted them too. They always tended to face the enemy, which is okay in, say, something more sidescroller, but not in something that's very much top down. Lack of weapon variety compared to SD2 didn't help much, and I never found the class system particularly interesting because the game was rather easy and I only ever had... Hawk or Riesz using skills, really. I don't recall it changing the magic you got THAT much.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
Can't square just stop trying to change the Mana series around so much?

They know what the fans want, just give it to us already!

They should just put a port of Secret of Mana on the DS with global wi fi. Everyone would love that.

I have to agree.  The Mana series has IMO gone to shit ever since Seiken Densetsu 3.  2 and 3 were amazing.  The team behind the Mana series really need to ponder the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."  Because they've been repeatedly fixing something that was never broken.  

I'll one up you and wishful think for not only a DS port of Secret of Mana (no 3D remake; keep it 2D) and bring Seiken Densetsu 3 to the US (again, in 2D.)  It's wishful thinking, but whatever.  

Legend of Mana was either innovative or clunky depending on your perspective.  I fall in the clunky camp.  

Sword of Mana was pretty and I liked that you could play the girl's storyline.  But the gameplay was clunky.  Good ending, though. (I watched the ending on YouTube.)    

Children of Mana?  Repetitive dungeon crawler with worse sprites than Sword of Mana... and it's on superior hardware!  The game's fun in the way that PSO was fun, but like PSO it doesn't live up to its namesake series.  In addition, the lack of full wi-fi support really hurts Children of Mana, since that game screams multiplayer.  

And now hearing that Dawn of Mana takes a page from Time Stalkers (one of the most reviled RPGs out there) and resets all your stats back to zero and takes away your weapon skills after each chapter?  No thanks.  If I earn something, I want to keep it.  

I have no idea what Square-Enix is trying to pull with this series.  It keeps badly reinventing itself into bigger and bigger piles of doo doo.  

The majesty of Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 has been lost for years.  And it seems like Dawn of Mana may not be the beacon of hope Mana fans were hoping for.

I'm sure it will be a fun game for what it is, but it won't "be Mana."  To me, Seiken Densetsu 1-3 are butter and everything else in the Mana series is margarine.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Man, I wish we had more action RPGs in the vein of stuff like the old Mana titles and Crystalis. :P

Damn straight.  Get the fuck off mine and Eusis' yards, bitches.

Of course, I loved Legend of Mana. :P  The skill learning system was way too fucking random for my tastes, but the game made up for it with its graphics and its hilarity.  I bet I laughed aloud more often with that game than all other games combined.  I wouldn't mind another game along those lines instead of this Rogue-like shit they're cramming down our throats.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 06:24:54 PM »

I haven't fully read your post MeshGear, but glancing through it (then quickly checking on Wikipedia), I believe you have LoM and SD4 confused: LoM is just a side game. This game, Dawn of Mana is /the/ SD4. Which makes it even more disappointing this happened, as you can't use the 'well, it was just a side game' excuse anymore.

And I was disappointed with LoM when I originally played, but then I was just hoping for a new Secret of Mana then. If I can somehow get a hold of it again, I'd like to replay, I liked the stoned joke. :P
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »

I really liked the Secret of Mana battle system and was hoping they would bring it back.  I didn't play Legend of Mana because of it.  Actually, if they did bring it back (which is sounds like they aren't) I would definitely play SD4.  I might play it anyway because I love the storyline of SD games.

I really loved Secret of Evermore, but that's not quite the same, not is it?

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 08:58:32 PM »

Eh, old community I hung with always called LoM SD4. Given that it was the only fourth SD game at the time, and that there weren't any new ones in the immediate future, it just sort of stuck. I know I should change it now that an actual SD4 numbered game is coming out. Force of habit. I'll try harder :P

Apparently Friends of Mana is the LoM prequel I've been wanting since that stupid thing came out, but oh hey Phone Game. So no US release, obviously.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:21 PM »

Mesh, that's the dumbest reasoning ever.

I'll be getting this game in two or three days. I'll post my own impressions when I do.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: