Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 06:49:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327633 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dawn of Mana: Might not be an RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dawn of Mana: Might not be an RPG?  (Read 5006 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 10:45:53 AM »

So, calling a thing something incorrect out of habit due to a reinforcement of one's environment, despite there being no precedence for correction until now is "the dumbest reasoning ever"?

Good job.

Relevancy: I'm much in the same camp as others here, particularly Neal. This entire affair sounds ridiculous. SD2 and 3 pretty much showcased one of the finest gaming setups ever made, and all of a sudden that's all abandoned for some action-RPG bullshit?

(This is where we remember Kurenai and his "lulz action-RPGs r alwayz battarz" and lol a little).
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 11:16:55 AM »

Pssst, hey Mark, PROTIP:

Good job.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 11:26:36 AM »

Non-sequiter with what you said before, so you still suck. :P Might've wanted to point out the time paradox IN your post for that to be relevant.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 11:29:28 AM »

Sorry, I'm right, you're wrong. There's no reason I have to make up for your mistake.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 01:48:58 PM »

For better or worse series mastermind Kouichi Ishii apparently likes change. Apart from Seiken Densetsu 4, just think about the new game for the DS, Seiken Densetsu: Heroes of Mana. That one will have a combination of real-time strategy and RPG elements. How this does fit to a rather action-oriented series like Seiken Densetsu is beyond me, but at least you can't accuse the guy of not trying to be creative :P.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
but at least you can't accuse the guy of not trying to be creative

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 07:20:40 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
but at least you can't accuse the guy of not trying to be creative :P.

No doubt, but creativity isn't always the best thing in terms of public interest and business.  

Look at auto makers.  Chrysler is one of the more creative US marques, but they reinvent their vehicles too often.  Reinventing too much does not allow the consumers time to become familiar with the product.  On the other hand, GM almost never redesigns and their stuff always looks dated.  

Of course when you look at the human factor, creative individuals always want to try new things.  Like when popular bands play shows, the fans want to hear all the "old" stuff they're familiar with while the band is probably sick of playing that stuff after playing it at 100+ shows in a row and wants to play some fresher stuff... then the fans boo and hiss loudly because they're not hearing what they want to hear.  

In other words, it's important to look at things from the perspective of an artist AND a consumer.  And I'll be honest, I could care less about the artists' whims in the Mana series.  The games have all sucked since SD3.  I'm ranting purely as a consumer because I'm not getting what I want out of the commodity.

So normally, I'd just say "fuck it" and look for a new commodity to suit my whims.  But in this case, I had to revisit Mana since I volunteered to review Children of Mana for the website so some old disgruntledness reopened:P

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
alchahest

55176800 novacat@hotmail.com albinosculpin@sh
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »

Post edited by administration.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 09:41:31 PM »

While it's good to be creative (although things like CoM don't really sound like shining beacons of creativity), given the sheer number of side games the Mana series now has, it'd have been nice to have received a more traditional mainline installment. It's irritiating mostly because it's not something that's done very often anymore, if at all. DQ's something that doesn't phase me too much since there were /8/ traditional main installments, and while I would've preferred IX be a side game on the DS or something since DQ's typically been the pillar of traditional RPGs, it's not like the series is exactly offering something we can't get elsewhere, especially with Blue Dragon out in Japan and hopefully here soon. Similar can be said for BoF too.

I guess Sword of Mana DID fill that hole, but bleh... It was just so dull to play. Maybe it'd not matter had it been a more traditional installment afterall. :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 02:18:22 AM »

The traditional elements of the Seiken Densetsu games have basically been, from what I can tell, simplistic actiony gameplay and leveling up. That's rather broad.

Truthfully, I wouldn't say the series has provided terribly good action anyway, even. I mean, sure, it's better than Ys, but they've all been rather slow and have had issues in the control departments. And I'm sure someone out there's played SD2 recently enough to remember the collision detection issues that start cropping up.

So, yeah. If you're just looking for a traditional action RPG, I'm sure you can find plenty of things that aren't Mana. There's that new Zelda out, no?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 02:27:30 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
So, yeah. If you're just looking for a traditional action RPG, I'm sure you can find plenty of things that aren't Mana. There's that new Zelda out, no?

Except Zelda isn't an action RPG.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: