Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Persona 5
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 02:49:50 AM »
I really liked the conversation elements from the first 2.5 games. They were a bit too clunky and slow and could use streamlining, but they were essential.

P5's trailer looks like it'll be following the nature of 3 and 4: teenagers fighting a secret battle that the rest of society is unaware of. I get the impression that any disaster/catastrophe will likely be understated. It's a typical YA lit device and it's not really for me, but I still think the game looks great.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:36 PM »
I know I'm thoroughly impressed thus far. I want to play Persona 2: IS and especially Persona 4 before I get to 5, though, so this delay gives me some time.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:27 PM »
I know I'm thoroughly impressed thus far. I want to play Persona 2: IS and especially Persona 4 before I get to 5, though, so this delay gives me some time.
I'm in a very similar boat.  I want to play Persona 2EP in the first half of next year.  Plus maybe do another NG+ of Persona Q or Persona 3P. 

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »
TBH, Persona 1 PSP is the only Persona game I've spent a lot of time with. I've tried P2:IS and P3 FES before, but only got a few hours into the former, and the latter I couldn't really get into (the Tartarus and every mechanic related with it was just too daunting for my tastes). I had hoped to finish the series by the end of this year (sans 3), but I doubt I'll even have the first game finished by then. Again, I'm not mad about the delay...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 02:29:25 AM »
I'm in the same boat. I only started playing Persona this year, and it was the very first trailer for P5 that really turned my interest into a need to play the series. I started with 4 Golden, then moved on to 3 FES. I want to play through both versions of 2 and 1 before I get to 5, so this has given me a huge opportunity to see this series through, and maybe event dabble in the SMT wider series.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 02:41:57 AM »
My Persona history's a little weird.  I used to be a hater, then totally flipped.  I rented Revelations: Persona a long-ass time ago, probably 2000 or 2001.  It was a niche favorite of some people on RPGamer and certain Gamefaqs boards.  I thought the game was garbage.  Didn't really get the story stuff, and really hated the dungeon presentation and high encounter rate.  A few years later I'm buying up every PS1 RPG I can, and find a good price on Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and buy it.  I give it a shot, and I think it's definitely better than Persona 1, but don't get very far.  I still have the PS1 discs. 

So fast forward several years and a bunch of people in my college's gaming club are super-into Persona 3.  I pass on it, because I'm really busy with college and I remember hating Persona 1.  Much later, a friend who had been bugging me to play Persona 3+4 for years gives me Persona 3 FES as a birthday present.  I play it in 2012 and I'm absolutely hooked.  Beat it twice in one summer.  Then I buy a PS2 copy of Persona 4 from the marketplace forum of RPGFan (thanks, Dice!) and I like it even more than 3.  To date I've completed Persona 3 three times and Persona 4 four times.  I'm a little bit crazy. 

So since that 2012-2013 Persona obsession began, I've played all the Persona spinoffs, watched a bunch of Persona anime, and even imported a few Japan-only Persona games.  I played Persona 2: Innocent Sin on PSP last year and thought it was really, really solid, but hated card collecting and Persona fusion.  The faster, simpler fusion stuff in Persona 3 and 4 is way better.  I still have that old copy of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment on PS1, so I'm going to try and play that before Persona 5 comes out.  Whew.  Sorry for that. 

TL;DR I think Persona 1's bad, Persona 2IS is old but pretty good, Persona 3 is great, and Persona 4 is one of my all-time favorite games.  I'm going to play Persona 2EP soon. 

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 02:45:21 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2015/09/persona-5-anime-special-announced

Well gentlemen, settle in. The spam has been renewed for another season....
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 05:58:50 AM »
That was bound to happen, look at all the additional stuff 3 and 4 got.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 06:19:33 AM »
So a thought occurs to me while watching the most recent trailer, did we know that the masks the characters wear are their persona summoning method prior to the most recent trailer? I don't recall knowing that before. Either way, doing that is so freaking on the nose considering what concept of a persona represents that it is kind of hilarious to me. XP

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »
I think it's the first time we've seen the method, so no, we didn't know anything before. I may be wrong, though...I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about how a persons persona is summoned in 5.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
Clips of Opening with behind the scenes footage with the singer: Lyn Inaizumi.
https://youtu.be/TBofQ_WgKdw

Definitely liking the jazzier/funkier version of the opening, suits the 'big city'.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
I think that once all of the cast members are revealed, the full cut of that opening scene will have all of them skating / dancing whatever on that highway overpass.  Right now the trailer scenes are edited in a way that seems disjointed.  Still looks fresh as f***. 

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »
I think that once all of the cast members are revealed, the full cut of that opening scene will have all of them skating / dancing whatever on that highway overpass.  Right now the trailer scenes are edited in a way that seems disjointed.  Still looks fresh as f***. 

Which reminds me I need to stop looking at updates about this game so I can go in as fresh as possible.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 06:42:18 PM »
I have a certain affection for the first game. I got the Revelations Persona release when it was first out in 96. I'd been blundering my way through SMT 1 on Super Famicom and noticed how similar the presentation of both games were. I put two and two together and was super excited to be playing an SMT game in English. The battle system was terrible, but the music was great and I found the story really gripping, even in its butchered state.

I was pretty pumped for the PSP release, but couldn't really dig it. Not only was the encounter rate higher than ever before, the kickin' soundtrack was replaced by one riffing on Persona 3-4. I like Meguro but I found it so derivative and charmless, and completely at odds with the feel of the game. Not only that, there were only 1/3rd as many tracks than there were previously. I was quite pleased that they learned their lesson for the P2:IS port.

On the note of blundering through SMT 1, I  e-mailed Atlus Japan asking how to beat the first boss. I actually got a reply; they were very surprised and thankful to have a fan outside of Japan, and gave me detailed instructions on the boss and the game's mechanics. I thought that was really cool of them. If only they knew just how big the series would become!