Author Topic: Persona 5

Alisha

• View Profile
Re: Persona 5
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »
i tried to play both version of persona 2 but just couldnt get into them. i wish i had played them during the psx era.

Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »
LOL, well nowadays they don't have to worry about persona series having fans outside of japan. Not after persona 3.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 06:52:14 AM »
I think that once all of the cast members are revealed, the full cut of that opening scene will have all of them skating / dancing whatever on that highway overpass.  Right now the trailer scenes are edited in a way that seems disjointed.  Still looks fresh as f***. 
Yeah, pretty sure that is what is going on here. Pretty sure they did something similar with some of the earlier trailers with opening footage as well. For example, fox mask guy was not in the skating scene in the previous skating sequence, so they are clearly making sure to not reveal too much of their hand...or face. Get it? because masks? eh eh eh? I'll go hang my head in shame in the corner now...

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »
We got some names! Not sure if it counts as spoilers or not, but I'll use tags just in case. Fox mask guy and Persona names forthcoming:
Code: [Select]
fox mask guy: Yusuke Kitagawa
Protagonist's Persona: Arsène
Anne's Persona: Carmen
Ryuji's Persona: Captain Kidd
Morgana's Persona: Zorro
Yusuke's Persona: Goemon

They're all famous thieves!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
We got some names! Not sure if it counts as spoilers or not, but I'll use tags just in case. Fox mask guy and Persona names forthcoming:

Yeah I sort of guessed Zorro upon seeing that persona making a Z with a rapier during the last trailer. Knew Ryuji's was a pirate also, even if I wasn't sure which one. Going to guess his upgrade is Blackbeard. Not familiar with either Arsène or Carmen. I'm not sure how I feel about all of their personas being thieves. On one hand it does fit with concept of the game, but at the same time a persona is supposed to represent the face that you show to the world and yet I doubt these characters are not hiding the fact that they are acting as thieves. I suppose a counter to that is that the thieves that are their persona probably also hid their identities (except maybe Captain Kidd), but I dunno. Almost feel like these persona make more sense as their shadows, although I suppose a persona is just a tamed shadow in universe so that may have something to do with it? *shrug*

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »

Yeah I sort of guessed Zorro upon seeing that persona making a Z with a rapier during the last trailer. Knew Ryuji's was a pirate also, even if I wasn't sure which one. Going to guess his upgrade is Blackbeard. Not familiar with either Arsène or Carmen. I'm not sure how I feel about all of their personas being thieves. On one hand it does fit with concept of the game, but at the same time a persona is supposed to represent the face that you show to the world and yet I doubt these characters are not hiding the fact that they are acting as thieves. I suppose a counter to that is that the thieves that are their persona probably also hid their identities (except maybe Captain Kidd), but I dunno. Almost feel like these persona make more sense as their shadows, although I suppose a persona is just a tamed shadow in universe so that may have something to do with it? *shrug*

Arsène is the first name of Arsène Lupin, and if you're at all familiar with anime or manga you'd recognize the name Lupin from the long running Lupin the 3rd series (the implication being that Lupin the 3rd's Lupin is the grandson of the original/famous Lupin); I should also add that Arsène Lupin is French to help make things slightly less confusing. Also, you must not have been born prior to the late 90s early 00s if you don't know Who in the World is Carmen Sandiago (I could understand not knowing 'where' she was or 'when in time' she was, but 'who'?). Of course, there's the possibility that Carmen could be referring to a different famous thief, but given that this is Persona 5 we're talking about here, the possibility of using a more contemporary character isn't zero (and lets be honest, history isn't exactly rife with famous fictional felonious females to begin with).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
On the note of blundering through SMT 1, I  e-mailed Atlus Japan asking how to beat the first boss. I actually got a reply; they were very surprised and thankful to have a fan outside of Japan, and gave me detailed instructions on the boss and the game's mechanics. I thought that was really cool of them. If only they knew just how big the series would become!

SMT 1 is so icy and great. It has great world maps, and other than the relentless random encounters in the towns, it's aged well. It's also pretty horrific, and has a good sense of disaster.
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
(thief name speculation)
I think Anne's Persona is referring to the opera of the same name, and I *think* that character is a dancer and not a thief.  Could be wrong; haven't actually seen the opera. 

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Oh yeah, SMT1 is the game that made me adore Atlus for a while, and the mobile/GBA ports fixed a lot of its rougher spots, polishing it to a sheen. I'm sad that I lost my save halfway through the iPad version...stupid OS updates...

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »
(thief name speculation)
I think Anne's Persona is referring to the opera of the same name, and I *think* that character is a dancer and not a thief.  Could be wrong; haven't actually seen the opera. 

Other than dealing with smugglers at one point, the one you're thinking of is more of a glorified call girl (well, not really this either, but its the closest comparison in today's day and age) rather than a master criminal. As ridiculous as the possibility I'm thinking of might be, the Opera possibility would be really inappropriate for the matter at hand.
(Because then the party's Personae would comprise of four noteworthy criminals of varying degrees of gentlemanliness and success and one gypsy whore who seduced and abandoned a guy into stabbing her to death.)

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/02/persona-5-introduces-some-personas-with-captain-kidd-carmen-zorro-and-goemon/

Welp. So much for that idea. Why do I keep bothering to expect anything out of these clowns (especially when you have stuff like SMTIV's "Female Protagonist? We can't do that! That would break with tradition.", and anything to do with Performa Emblem)?

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
"A female protagonist would break with tradition"

Tamaki and Maya called.

Anybody else see some nasty cultural insensitivity with Carmen lumped in with a bunch of thieves? Smacks of hundreds of years of institutionalized prejudice against gypsies/roma :[

SMT 1 is so icy and great. It has great world maps, and other than the relentless random encounters in the towns, it's aged well. It's also pretty horrific, and has a good sense of disaster.

Agreed! But Kongokai is *horrible*. If that dungeon was half the length, I think SMT would be a near perfect game for me. Gotta love Yukio Mishima as leader of the demon coup d'etat though!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:55:31 AM by Towns Car Marty »

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »
To be fair, the moment you saw they were putting the only human female cast member in a barftastic latex red 'cat'suit the writing was clearly on the wall anything related to her was going to be pure rubbish. Persona included.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
^
This guy right here

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
Why do I keep bothering to expect anything out of these clowns (especially when you have stuff like SMTIV's "Female Protagonist? We can't do that! That would break with tradition.", and anything to do with Performa Emblem)?

Atlus: #FE is a spin-off, it doesn't count into the main series tradition. Stay salty bro. :3

/jk

To be fair, the moment you saw they were putting the only human female cast member in a barftastic latex red 'cat'suit the writing was clearly on the wall anything related to her was going to be pure rubbish. Persona included.

If anything that's rubbish here to be honest is the delay. All of this attention P4 got is frustrating to a certain degree.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:49:40 PM by Yggdrasil »