Author Topic: Persona 5

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Persona 5
« Reply #495 on: May 26, 2017, 12:02:22 AM »
How much I want to say something to respond to that, but I will hold my tongue.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 26, 2017, 05:52:55 AM »
This game is weirdly mean to Mishima.... like you don't actually want to be friends with this awkward kid.
Yeah I would say that more or less describes how I feel about Mishima. XP

But really he is the just the game's butt monkey with Ryuji as the designated backup. I won't say he deserves everything that happens to him, but the early and mid portions of his link really made me not feel too much sympathy to him overall.

As a side note, Futaba probably does the most brutal verbal take down of Mishima in the entire game during one of her Link scenes. It was hilarious.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 26, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
As a side note, Futaba probably does the most brutal verbal take down of Mishima in the entire game during one of her Link scenes. It was hilarious.
I love Futaba.  Nerd-girls are the best.

She's also a pretty useful party member once her social link is ranked up.  She saved my butt repeatedly in the seventh palace.  I think her AI is tuned to cast buffs at critical moments?  It can be very dramatic when you're fighting for your life in a tough boss battle, and she cuts in with that smirking expression.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 27, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
Life Will Change is officially my wake-up alarm when I have an early morning shift at work/

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #499 on: May 29, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »
Life Will Change is officially my wake-up alarm when I have an early morning shift at work/

I've learned from this, don't do the alarm thing to tracks you like... it'll start to "scare you" when you hear it casually. :(

Also
How much I want to say something to respond to that, but I will hold my tongue.

Go on
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:23:59 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 10, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
Finished the game 120hrs. Just wow, it was better than anything I hoped for. My favorite game ever.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 10, 2017, 10:56:50 PM »
The story has definitely surprised me, but not in a good way. I've sort of gotten Death Note deja vu, and the theme of stealing hearts? Sort of an M-rated Kingdom Hearts. The gameplay is definitely solid, though, but limited saving in 2017? Come on. For me, an 8.5/10 game, but definitely not 9 or 9.5/10.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 11, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
I put in over 100 hrs, and really like the game, but the main cast as whole is definitely was my least favorite out of the newer Persona games. Persona 5 has the best supporting cast confidants by far though.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 11, 2017, 03:51:01 PM »
Characters:
P4>>>P5

Story
P4>P5

Gameplay
P5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>P4

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 11, 2017, 03:57:57 PM »
Characters:
P4>>>P5

Story
P4>P5

Gameplay
P5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>P4

QFT

Lulcy

• Warrior of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 11, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »
It took me 30 days and 97 hours to finsh the game.
  • Normal difficult.
  • LV98
  • All 5 social stats maxed.
  • 14 out of 21 confidants maxed.
  • All (non-confidants) Mementos request done.
  • Persona Compendium 85% completed.

Bullet points impressions:
  • Visually stylish and neat.
  • Dungeons are good...until they drag...
  • Turn Base system is solid.
  • Characters are solid but I feel the game puts too much emphasis on their Phatom Thievery dynamics over their individual/collective parthership/friendship dynamic.
  • Social and High-School simulation is still as solid as its two predecesors.
  • The story lacks strong commitment torwards its theme of rebellion. Ironically it (for me) feels imprisoned with no desire to rebel.
  • While the story is well writen, with enough exposition, development, engagement and other stuffs, it's painfully flawed in one aspect, subtlety. It's so heavy-handed it's not even funny.

My palace rankings:
Spoiler: Number of Total Palaces in the game and their people • show
P4(Futaba)>P1(Kamoshida)>P2(Madarame)>P6(Niijima)>P8(Mementos)>P3(Kaneshiro)>P5(Okumura)>P7(Shido)

P4: Futaba's Pyramid, is for me the best due to the puzzles (even if their only reason to be there is for padding), music and the story behind Futaba's mother.
From there my liking of the others are tied to their lenght more so than its design, puzzles and story, the longer they are = the less I like them. Only exception being P4 despite being longer than the previous 3 palaces that came before.

Final(ish) Veredict:

I would give the game a 8/10 which in my personal ranking equals to a Solid product is most fronts with a bunch of problems in other areas
PERSONA 3 is still my favourite in the franchise but I would put PERSONA 5 as a strong second.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 11, 2017, 10:31:05 PM »
I have to disagree with bullet point #5. My main complaint about the game is it didn't really seem to care about the world outside of the main plot. Most of the social links had great stories, but that's all they were: short stories that had little to do with actual world-building outside of Sojiro and the politician. Even the NPC's, which in past games had interesting plots of their own to follow along with were just boring reactionary commentary. Hell, I was really interested in where that Yandere girl's plot went after her change of heart, but it doesn't... you get one new bit of dialogue and nothing else. Compare that to something like the pair in Persona 3 who end up taking turns stalking each other... I just felt like the world of Persona 5 was so... stiff and lifeless.

Lulcy

• Warrior of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
Something I forgot to mention in my previous post, Persona 5 is (IMO) the less grindy game in the series. During my normal playthrought I never felt I was underlevel or underprepared when traversing the Palaces and fighting the enemies & bosses. P5 is also relatively easy compared to its predecesors (this is not a bad point for me), the game only becomes challenging once your party members are starting to dry out of SP.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:57:41 PM by Lulcy »