Author Topic: Persona 5

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
Re: Persona 5
« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »
It's his review, which is one person's opinion, which he's allowed to have.

I probably wouldn't have the problem of wasted playtime if I got around to buying this since I tend to play on the easiest difficulty, given that gameplay flaws tend to be more apparent on higher challenge settings.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »
Oh, yeah, I also played on hard. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 10, 2017, 05:39:28 PM »
Personally speaking, I didn't really see the patriarchal reading of P5 either, but hey, we all have different experiences. If anything, I saw it less as a longing for a stronger parental authority and more how the various authority figures were themselves the victims of a destructive system.

Spoiler: show
Not to mention, the game's finale pits the players against symbols representing God, the ultimate authority, complete with angelic enemies to accompany him. I thought it was a nice throwback to classic SMT and suited the game's themes well. After all, who better than the ultimate rebel to fight against absolute authority?

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 10, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
Well dang, I guess I gotta go slower on my inevitable NG+ of this. :

I'm doing Confidants and everything... I dunno how I'm going so fast.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 10, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »
Personally speaking, I didn't really see the patriarchal reading of P5 either, but hey, we all have different experiences. If anything, I saw it less as a longing for a stronger parental authority and more how the various authority figures were themselves the victims of a destructive system.

Not to mention, the game's finale pits the players against symbols representing God, the ultimate authority, complete with angelic enemies to accompany him. I thought it was a nice throwback to classic SMT and suited the game's themes well. After all, who better than the ultimate rebel to fight against absolute authority?

^ I thought all SMT games ended like that. At least all the ones I've played... Jesus is PS2 considered "classic" now??

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »

^ I thought all SMT games ended like that. At least all the ones I've played... Jesus is PS2 considered "classic" now??

Yeah... wow, that is weird to think about. It's true that most of the SMT series ends up playing out that way (depending on the path you take, of course), but Persona, especially 3 and 4, kind of had their own "thing" with Nyx and Izanami. So seeing the angels and Nocturne-esque architecture pop up at the end of P5 felt like a nice callback to the series' roots.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 10, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »
Plenty of different readings of this entry for sure. A lot of hot takes complaining about the lack of gay coupling choices mention how it goes against the "breaking free of the chains of society" theme of the game. But, like, while I agree with the sentiment... that isn't really what the game is about at all? At least to me. Sure, it's an ever present motif, but surely the game is more about personal justice vs. societal justice and where rebellion fits in those definitions. The whole "breaking free..." theme seems more appropriate for P4, though I'll admit it's a common thread throughout the Persona series.

Anyway, just a thing I've had on my mind since reading some of those articles that sort of fits in the current conversation.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 10, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »

Yeah... wow, that is weird to think about. It's true that most of the SMT series ends up playing out that way (depending on the path you take, of course), but Persona, especially 3 and 4, kind of had their own "thing" with Nyx and Izanami. So seeing the angels and Nocturne-esque architecture pop up at the end of P5 felt like a nice callback to the series' roots.

Strictly speaking the final boss of Persona 5 (who I am referring to as the Demiurge because I cannot spell the proper name) is the same thing as Izanami (slightly different from Nyx but close enough). Specifically the Demiurge is a being created in the collective unconscious by the desires of a large number of people for a specific result. In Persona 3 they created...Erebus from their desire for death, and then that proceeded to awaken Nyx (although the details of that might have only been revealed in The Answer). In Persona 4, their desire for isolation created Izanami. In Persona 5 their desire for being controlled created the Demiurge. So strictly speaking, what you are fighting is the dame thing as in P3/P4, just they chose to draw from Gnostic mythology which comes with the same trappings as YHVH. Although the mythology fits the themes best in of the three modern Persona games so far as in Gnostic mythology Sataneal did give mankind freedom from the absolute rule of the fake god of the Demiurge.

Side note, you really don't fight "god" aka YHVH in SMT that often. Looking through the SMT wiki it seems he only really appears in 3 games, SMT2, Strange Journey (implied to be the Demiurge?), and SMT4A. Seems like it is more common to defeat his forces while never reaching him thereby leaving the "true enemy" for another day.

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
I'm loving P5 so far (problematic stuff aside), largely because it feels like Persona 4 met up with Digital Devil Saga and had a baby.

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »
Are you the person who sent me the e-mail? Just so you know, I'm working on a response! Hint: presence of dads doesn't make this moot.

I was the one who sent an e-mail. See? Same name! (Unless there was another e-mail)

By all means, take your time. The further I get through the game, the more I find myself of a different mind with your interpretation/views. However I think that something excels at being 'art' if it can inspire conversation and discussion. For me, Persona 5 is a fantastic game - one of my favourites, and I'd argue one of the best JRPGs of all time (I can't think of any game that excels so well at theming, dungeon design and interaction, combat strategy/flow, and a plethora of other reasons). Yet, if there's one thing that ticks me off more than anything, it's reviewers bandwagoning and giving games 9's and 10's for seemingly no reason beyond 'that's what everyone else is doing'. I won't deny that my first impulse was outrage when I saw a sub-90 review score (especially on a site called RPG Fan), but after taking some time I've decided that I'm just happy to see someone willing to give their honest opinion, even if it goes against the grain... no pun intended.
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2017, 03:07:14 AM »
Ha ha, I was wondering why the change in attitudes! My mistake.

I appreciate your words, and I'll be in touch soon!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
I'd like to take a sec and remember the goob who called us a bunch of SJWs...good times.

That's like calling me a health nut or Arvis a kinky freak.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
I have pretty poor eyesight but I broke my glasses a year ago and never got them replaced

What the heck?? "I broke my prosthetic leg, but never got a new one. Walking is overrated" <--- said nobody.  GO GET GLASSES, DUDE.

I know, I'm a hypocrite. I told Agent D to go to the dentist.

I'll do it tomorrow. TIME TO SEE.

You better be reading this with glasses on.

I'd like to take a sec and remember the goob who called us a bunch of SJWs...good times.

That's like calling me a health nut or Arvis a kinky freak.
To crib someone else's wit: *furiously clicks where the Like button should be*
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
thank god you banned that guy i deal with a lot of people like him unfortunately.

i also didnt see the father figure or patriarchy thing but havent examined the story that deeply yet.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
Aww, you banninated him already? I was enjoying his ridiculousness. It was hilarious.

Is it weird that I found a Makoto cosplay and think I fell in love...?

TASTY!