Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 09:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327460 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Forbes: Gaming's Last Hurrah (As We Know It)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Forbes: Gaming's Last Hurrah (As We Know It)  (Read 1381 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2006, 09:33:48 PM »

Article.

Thoughts?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 09:40:34 PM »

Bullshit.  People have been saying for years that the PC would kill console gaming, and now standard PC gaming is nothing more than a tiny niche in the gaming market.

And using WoW as an example of the death of consoles is ridiculous.  WoW is a phenom; look at the number of people subscribed to the other MMOs out there and stand in awe of how mindblowing it isn't.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:10:23 PM »

I don't think it all has to be MMORPG's though nessasarily. Shooters, racers, sports etc. could all hypothetically go that way. They'd have to be ONLY pay to play though with no upfront cost though or I'm not sure people would go for it.(With a few exceptions perhaps if something is BIG, but not really as a whole)

It's still apples and oranges though. You can't have as structured a game online as you can in a single player game. On the other hand playing with actual people just can't be duplicated. They've each got their own things that make them good. I'm sure online games will become more popular, but they aren't going to replace single player games.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:28:15 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"

It's still apples and oranges though.You can't have as structured a game online as you can in a single player game.

Thank you. I've said this since I saw my first online PC RPG years ago, and said it many times since seeing all these online console RPG's. You just can't have the great flow of gameplay and story in an online RPG that you can offline.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:51:12 AM »

Quote from the article)

Will there be a PS4? Perhaps, but not a PS5.

Yeah, maybe because the name will get unoriginal. However, if there IS a PS5, I would LOVE to have the contact info for this article's author in ten years and just shove it in his face.

This article is just filled with presumption and analyzing "market trends" that, at the end of the day, will mean next to nothing.

Terrible article.

Ramza

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »

How come I'm remembering those articles around the time PS2 launched saying stuff like "XBox/PS2/Etc is the Death of PC gaming" yet somehow PC gaming still exists?  Also in a company I used to work for they said "The PSP will run Nintendo out of business" as a fact.  IMHO thse articles just prove the opposite.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »

Those long-term projections just don't work. Be it PlayStation or PlayStation 2, there were always a good deal of people who said Sony Computer Entertainment would fail.

To make projections about PlayStation 4 or even PlayStation 5 is even more ridiculous. Had the author tried to argue the point that the gap between console and PC gaming is slowly but surely closing on some fronts, I would have agreed with him. But those kind of articles only make the entire analyst community look like a bunch of wanna-be fortunetellers.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 11:27:36 AM »

This is just another example of another asshole thinking he's intelligent.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

Everyone loves a would-be Nostradamus because it gives us things to "claim". "So and so claims this will happen", filtered through whatever hobby or event is attached to that sentence is part of our rumour-mill traditions. It's even more tasty when it's long-term and sounds "intelligent".

Gay.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 03:16:47 PM »

I pretty much agree with everyone has said so far. I just wanted to add this: I priced out my new, mid range PC. With a sexy 22" Widescreen monitor (used my 19" CRT for 7 years), I am shelling out 1800 bucks, shipped. Of course I am also putting it together myself. 1800 dollars is alot of money by any man's math. As much as I like to check frame rates and such, in like one year, I will need either or RAM or a better video card, which costs anywhere from 200-400 bucks. Then the games themselves are 50 bucks and maybe an extra 10-15 a month. It adds up really quick. I do get to customize alot of things though.

A PS3 is 600 bucks. It will be supported for at least 4 years, but I am feeling more like 7 years. PS2 came out in 2000, and its 2007. I never once had to "upgrade" my PS2, all I needed to get was the hot new games. When I look at it that way, the PS3's cost doesnt look so bad.

The point I am making is that PC and console games have their niche, and they are not going anywhere. In game advertising is going to help make up some of the money needed for R&D. I think the guy from Forbes needs to do some more research.

MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »

I dread in-game advertising.  Every game that has it would be a game I do not purchase.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 04:20:07 PM »

I don't think in-game advertising will catch on as fully as they expect. The games that use it are ones that, usually, it's plausible to some degree. Battlefield 2142 seems pretty stupid, but the EA Sports games make sense and all. I'd rather, however, that if they advertize so fucking much to cut the god damn prices. I'm not fond of this "It's the next generation! Micro transactions! Extra $10! and in-game advertising!".

That wouldn't stop me from buying a game though, not unless it was invasive or painfully stupid. Unfortunately, after AC and that cellphone I'm not sure if SE or other companies will really care.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: