Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
TV shows axed too soon
« on: July 04, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
That's what this topic is about: television shows you feel were taken off the air too soon.  Could be any genre: drama, comedy, animated, whatever.  

Firefly is an obvious one that was taken off the air way too soon, after, what, 14 episodes only?  "I aim to misbehave."

Another obvious one for folks around my age was Freaks and Geeks when it first came out- it was canceled after 15 episodes but fan-campaigning led to the network eventually airing the remaining 3.

But the first that came to my mind was the "nu" He-Man (the 2002-2003 one) was nixed too soon.  It never finished its second season (so it's left hanging) and the third season was slated to resolve a huge plot thread.  I understand why it was nixed (slow toy sales and low ratings), but that's really too bad because it was a darn good show.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the crap out of cheeseball campy 1980s He-Man (because it's nostalgia and my childhood), but the 2002-2003 He-Man was a very good re-imagining of the concept, had stronger storylines, less camp, and provided much-needed backstories on several characters with much improved character designs.  (on a completely unrelated note, I couldn't quite get into "nu" Thundercats.  Maybe I'll give it another change, but man I was NOT feeling nu Cheetara's design.)  

So, yeah, what television shows do you think were taken off the air too soon?  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:32:35 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows axed too soon
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »
Dead Like Me.  Reaper. The Sarah Silverman Program. the sarah connor chronicles. the adventures of brisco county junior. Stargate Universe. The Tick.

that's just off the top of my head.

edit: does arrested development count?  They shit canned it after 3 seasons but did bring it back for a fourth and will probably have another eventually.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:55:58 PM by glassjawsh »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
Better Off Ted.

Think: Aperture Science is real, but instead of developing weapons they make consumer goods. It was quite hilarious and didn't really get past it's second season.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
Firefly is an obvious one that was taken off the air way too soon, after, what, 14 episodes only?  "I aim to misbehave."

Another obvious one for folks around my age was Freaks and Geeks when it first came out- it was canceled after 12 episodes but fan-campaigning led to the network eventually airing the remaining 3.

When I saw the topic those were the first two that came to my mind.

There was a spin-off to Battlestar Galactica called "Caprica" that I wish would've at least had a second season to resolve the plot it was building. 19 eps, didn't fare as well as syfy wanted, BOOM cancelled.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
Well "Hannibal" I think belongs here.  It's a dead man walking anyways.

"Selfie", ruined by a shite title was a gem that was really shining just as it was given up on.  Particularly rare, was a leading Asian male teamed with gorgeous Dr Who alumni Karen Gillan.  However, and most importantly, who wouldn't want to see what Ginger-Korean babies look like?  Not my top pick, but eh.

Young Justice.... annoyingly so.

"Veronica Mars!!!!!!!!1" says me in High School (but yay for the movie!)

Pushing Daisies... :(

I'm happy a lot of shows are kinda "getting the chance to end" than being axed before their time.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
Erm....Sonic SatAM? Megas XLR? SWAT Kats? After War Gundam X?

That's all I got. I used to watch way too much TV, but it's rare that I find a series doesn't last long enough...usually the stuff I've seen go way too long and/or don't even have an end-goal in mind...or they actually end in a satisfactory manner. That's always an option, too.

'Course, I rarely watch TV anymore (like, I've averaged 1 episode a year for the past 8 years now), so that doesn't help...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:24:33 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
Pushing Daisies... :(

Holy shit, I had forgotten that show existed.

Now I'm sad.

Which reminds me of another one: Kings.

Excellent premise (What if feudalism were still a thing and monarchs were basically CEO's that also made laws and declared wars?), talented cast, and NBC decided to throw it into a Saturday 10pm time slot where it was doomed to fail from the start.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:00:56 PM by Klutz64 »

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »
My Own Worst Enemy, only saw a little of it but I thought it was cool.
And people really seemed to like Awake.

And then not axed yet definitively afaik, but Big Time in Hollywood Fl

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »
My Mount Rushmore for shows like this are Firefly, Veronica Mars, Crime Story, and Pirates of Dark Water. They last one frustrated me to no end when I was 7 or 8 years old.  They canceled the cartoon when the heroes had I only found seven of the 13 treasures!

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:13:39 AM »
Farscape.  They cancelled it on a cliffhanger, right before the planned final season.  It was eventually wrapped up with a miniseries, but it deserved better.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
Babylon 5: Crusade. It wasn't given a chance and I really love the B5 universe.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »
Young Justice. Best fucking cartoon series I ever watched, and it got canned right when things got really interesting. It was dark, serious, and humorous all at the same time.

AND THEY KILLED KID FLASH IN THE LAST EPISODE WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
My Mount Rushmore for shows like this are Firefly, Veronica Mars, Crime Story, and Pirates of Dark Water. They last one frustrated me to no end when I was 7 or 8 years old.  They canceled the cartoon when the heroes had I only found seven of the 13 treasures!

They found and used the 8th one (but that may of happened after the announced axing).

As for the the topic at hand, ReBoot. There's a show that's now impossible to resolve in a satisfying manner (rip Tony Jay).

I'm also still waiting for the actual third season of Gargoyles (unless I'm miscounting and there was only the one season).

And to get myself out of the animation disappointment station, Original Star Trek. It was supposed to be a 5 year mission dammit, not 3 2.5!

And while most of the others I would've mentioned have already been covered, I still wish Captain N hadn't gotten axed the way it did (I'm still bitter towards Saved by the Bell for this, nothing deserved to get axed for the sake of more of that crap).

Sonic SatAM?

I'll forgive you for forgetting that SatAM Sonic got a follow up series, because I want to forget that Sonic Xtreme happened as well.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »
The worst part is I was a big fan of the Archie Sonic comic for a while, yet still I'll never get to see Sonic's story end, nor do I even care to see it in its current form anymore...

Also I know you're totally talking about Sonic X don't you dare bring that up DAMN YOU!!!!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:36 AM »
The worst part is I was a big fan of the Archie Sonic comic for a while, yet still I'll never get to see Sonic's story end, nor do I even care to see it in its current form anymore...

Also I know you're totally talking about Sonic X don't you dare bring that up DAMN YOU!!!!

Fortunately for me, Sonic X and Sonic Xtreme are two different things.

The latter, Xtreme, was out in the late 90s, featured SatAM Sonic getting schooled from overrelying on his new found super speed, then getting pointed to the rest of his Dragon Quest 2 party siblings, while having to start a new quest to save their space queen mother, using the power of metal to rawk out in a way that somehow didn't add up to an experience that was so bad that it looped back to badical, it was just mediocre since it went nowhere fast and got canned after like 5-10 episodes (and was watched by like only 10 people, myself included).

Whereas the former, Sonic X, was that early 00s anime where Japanese Richie Rich and his grandfather Doc Brown befriended Sonic and friends as they went off on a multitude of world saving adventures against the likes of Dr. Eggman, and was aggressively terrible (and didn't deserve even one full season, let alone the two or three it got).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.