Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:20:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340962 Posts in 13936 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dawn of Mana Impressions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dawn of Mana Impressions  (Read 6816 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 05:09:28 PM »

Man, what Seiken Densetsu style? The only thing that's really been that similar in all of the games is the real-time-ness, and a sort of aesthetic similarity. There's no consistent storyline throughout the entire series, the gameplay changes with every iteration quite substantially... It seems that when most people talk about the SD series, they're really only talking about the second.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 04:14:16 AM »

Review of the import at Game Brink.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 11:27:43 AM »

Damn, what a horrible score it received!  That's a shame since the game looks beautiful.  I think I'll pass on the game if it gets localized.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »

My original comment was going to be something "Blehbluhblah, another burnt fanboy, and who cares about one review?"

Then I saw that the first sentence was about the camera. Generally if the first thing a review bitches about is the camera, something is VERY AMISS.

They also comment on the art being beautiful. I'll disagree with that. I liked the style in Legend of Mana, when it was new and pretty original, and it still looks good. Less creative in the portable games, but you know? Still distinct and has a nice feel to it.

Making it 3D just introduces something creepy and uncanny valley about it. The SD guys from Minstrel Song still sort of freak me out. This is even creepier. Everything looks... gooey.

Well, they mention bad controls and uninspired level design. I guess it's a throwback to the good old days in that respect, at least.

BTW, am I the only person that generally hates Japanese voice work as a whole? Unrelated, really, but just cause it was in the trailer it reminded me.[/quote]

o/` I do not dream o/`

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »

To look at it from another perspective, Famitsu gave it a 30/40.  Famitsu's usually pretty reliable, while 30/40 is indeed 75% and considered mediocre, I would consider mediocre better then the tone they use in that review.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
To look at it from another perspective, Famitsu gave it a 30/40.  Famitsu's usually pretty reliable, while 30/40 is indeed 75% and considered mediocre, I would consider mediocre better then the tone they use in that review.

Many would disagree, and in fact they frequently gave higher scores to games that are considered poor or average by forum goers, critics, or both. I take their scores with a grain of salt with them serving best as a hint of what the game is like.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 06:29:22 PM »

Remember, Japanese standards are different from US standards.  Famitsu would give middling scores to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater while US media ranks it high.  

Plus, like EGM and other magazines, the Famitsu reviewers only get to play each game for about 3-4 hours before reviewing it, so their reviews are only based on early impressions.  

The only reviews I DON'T take with a grain of salt are those here at RPGfan, because policy on reviews here is that the reviewer must have completed the game.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 06:31:42 PM »

It sounds to me actually that they've practically gotta do that for DS/GBA games, since those kinda have to be sent back... And a scalding review at 3 hours out of 20 doesn't exactly look good.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

This review is terrible and reads like a third grader wrote it.

Anyway, upon further time spent with the game, I've found that you can earn medals and stuff by fulfilling certain conditions in game. These medals have a wide variety of effects, which includes increasing HP/MP/Attack/Defense at the beginning of each stage, so... that may negate the whole stat reset thing. No idea yet, since I've only gotten the most basic ones.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »

Having to have completed the game is a rather lax policy and doesn't necessarily guarantee any sort of quality review :)

Anyway, here's the other problem. Game gets bad scores, and you can often pass it off as being a niche title, or just being too much of a dperature for most people. Nobody's going to admit here, but Unlimited Saga has picked up a sizable following, so I mean, you can say that a lot of games will at least appeal to certain people.

Maybe Dawn of Mana is a bit of a departure, but not in the wacky experimental sense. More like make a bog-standard action/platformer with a familiar license. And it's a rather glitchy bog-standard action/platformer from what I hear.

What it really is sounding like to me is Dew Prism Lite, I guess.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 10:13:24 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Having to have completed the game is a rather lax policy and doesn't necessarily guarantee any sort of quality review :)

And what's lax about the policy?  Given the time needed to beat most RPGs, I'm less apt to trust a source who only played a 30-40 hour game for a mere 3-4 hours.  Besides, that policy's not the only reason I like RPGfan's reviews.  I like them because they have this writer nicknamed "Dincrest" who's really sexy.  

Either way, I'm not liking the sound of level/stat resets in Dawn of Mana.  I loathed that in Time Stalkers where your levels reset to 1 every time you exited a dungeon.  I want to keep what I earn.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

And what's lax about the policy?  Given the time needed to beat most RPGs, I'm less apt to trust a source who only played a 30-40 hour game for a mere 3-4 hours.

I think he's thinking of when someone just blasts thorugh the main game, not touching any of the side stuff. Depending on the game, this is a valid point: Oblivion is far more than just the main quest, for example, and also is hard, if not practically impossible, to completely conquer and 'see everything'. But doing a fair bit of side stuff, and at least half of the main quest? I'm only about 1/10th of the way through the main quest, but I think I played enough Oblivion (80 hours) to give it a proper, fair review.

Nevertheless, this is irrelevant for linear as fuck JRPGs that only have a few sidequests to do, sidequests that'd barely affect the score, if at all. In the case, it's more important to probe and see how many there are readily available for a review.

... I should seriously try to write a review sometime. :P
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »

Well, I meant more along the lines of...

A) Completing a game does not mean you're not a terrible writer.

B) Completeing a game does not mean you're going to actually agree with anyone else on it.

C) If you feel pressed to comlpete said game -- and by far, this is the most... well, realistic problem -- you might end up hating it even though you would've enjoyed it in a more relaxed setting.

Anyway, still hacking away at SD3. This leads to something relevant LATER ON.

About 15 hours. I loaded up my savestate and was apparently outside the Land Umber. I have no recollection of getting there. I DO recall losing my saves and having to cheat through the... Moon Tower thing, because my only savestate was in the middle of the boss fight. There's a bit of a level mismatch, so I have no idea what's up with that. I think I was in a disosciative fugue or something. Whatever. Killed that. Went on to the eye thing in the Ruins of Light. Killed that. I guess I have to level up some to get the last class change or else the rest of the game is impossible. It hasn't actually been noticably difficult up to this point. Meh. We'll see.

Lise is better than Hawk. Slower, but not too slow, and unlike Hawk, she tends to not fly all over the goddamn place no matter what I do. The whole thing still feels rather cluttered and clunky. I think it's in part because of the rather small gameplay areas and cramped dungeons. I don't know. It's hard to tell what's going on. I mostly button mash, and that seems to work perfectly well. The spells that basically pause gameplay annoy me quite much, still, and the... well, lagginess in the inventory management/status screens is incredibly irritating.

Basically in summation, for an action RPG it doesn't feel particularly action.

So, Dawn of Mana. I guess I would've liked it if they'd taken it in a more Terranigma esque direction. Tight controls, one character -- screw multiplayer. I never found it even remotely fun in any of the Mana games, and neither did the people I tried playing it with -- and lots of, well, attacks. Like, run and jump and slide sort of attacks. Not just keep bashing the monster till some bar fills up and press B, or hold down X till the bar fills up. *Actual combos and actiony things*.

Or maybe something more Zelda-ish. They wanna take out actual RPG elements? Fine. So why not something like Zelda? That'd suit itself well to the mana environment. I don't think anybody'd deny that. You could have actual puzzles and stuff. That'd work with being able to equip all sorts of weapons. I mean. SoM sort of dabbled with it but it could've been fleshed out more. And if they're so obsessed with the "Emblem" or whatever, I guess you could still get those. Sort of like how you found heart pieces and stuff in the Zelda games, yeah?

Or, of course, if they HAD to make it an action platformery sort of thing, they could've at least realized that this isn't 1996 anymore, Spyro isn't cool, and the paradigm for that sub genre's changed. A lot.

And as another unrelated aside, I'm curious as to what an actual Secret of Mana fan retranslation would look like. Those usually turn out hellishly bad, and I'm sure there's a fifty percent chance of the entire game being Purim: SHITCOCK. Randi: BALLS, or whatever kids these days say when they want the characters to sound all edgy and mature, but mostly, I have heard a lot of the text was cut, and so that's why I am curious.

o/` I do not dream o/`

solieyu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »

ADMIN EDIT:  Rom links?  The only thing that gets you instantly banned from these boards?  I hope you enjoyed your stay.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 07:39:24 PM »

Hot damn. Someone became an hero!

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: