Author Topic: Starmongoose - Let's Play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Starmongoose - Let's Play Fire Emblem Path of Radiance!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2015, 06:05:56 AM »
Thanks Dice. :D It means a lot. I'm really enjoying doing these.

Big channel update guys! ^^ Lots of cool art and also a new video! That's Part 5 now.

Clicky!

Defense Maps. Cool when they work, a glorified Rout map when they don't, and this one doesn't. Titania and Shinon basically guarantee that you can't lose this fight outside of sustaining a causality and resetting for it, and you only really need to feed Ike, Oscar, Soren and Boyd to boot. Even Hard Mode's FoW doesn't mean squat in the face of your people unless Ike or Boyd have done something to offend the RNG gods or something.

As for this channel, I really hope you put an end to reading out the dialogue. Giving us a start of turn run down on the Enemy Phase and what your gameplan is in response should be enough to fill the air time. Let people read the dialogue on their own, you don't need to draw it out or anything thanks to the magic of the pause video button, and the game's music should be enough to fill the dead air. Keeping things shorter should improve viewership as well since shorter videos mean less of a time commitment. Another strategy is to spend time talking about some of the side objectives that you're going for like the boss having a stat booster on hand but the time limit making it difficult to claim that prize without getting someone killed or cutting the stage and potential Exp short. One of the biggest mistakes I see in Youtube LPs all the time is that they narrate as they play. Post-production is a thing that exists for a reason. Look over your video and see what you actually did and formulate a script based upon that. Multi-tasking hurts your gameplay and fills your video with noise pollution that nobody wants to hear.

If you do all of this, your LP's quality will definitely improve, guaranteed.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2015, 06:40:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice dude. :) I don't think I'm going to follow most of it, but I appreciate you wanting to help all the same.

It's not really about filling air time, for me it's just doing what I enjoy. For example I only watch LP's where the text is being read aloud, because usually I'm flicking between other pages during those parts and I like to hear what's going on. Some people like having it read out, some people don't - I'm okay with that. And shooting the shit and such feels more personal to me. To me a let's play is a social thing, where you get a close experience to being in the same room as a friend while you play a game together. Whenever I play games with friends there are usually jokes, general chat and such untop of the gameplay objective.

I wouldn't watch a Let's Play like the one you want me to be, so I won't act like it. I'd never ever want to listen to a scripted post-production Let's Play for instance.  I do what I enjoy, there are many ways to do a let's play and I don't think there is a wrong way - and I don't think "nobody wants to hear" what I have to say, I've already gotten feedback that it's actually something they enjoy.

I'm not dismissing you or anything, I'm genuinely happy you're trying to help, but we may just enjoy different things in our Let's Plays?

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice dude. :) I don't think I'm going to follow most of it, but I appreciate you wanting to help all the same.

It's not really about filling air time, for me it's just doing what I enjoy. For example I only watch LP's where the text is being read aloud, because usually I'm flicking between other pages during those parts and I like to hear what's going on. Some people like having it read out, some people don't - I'm okay with that. And shooting the shit and such feels more personal to me. To me a let's play is a social thing, where you get a close experience to being in the same room as a friend while you play a game together. Whenever I play games with friends there are usually jokes, general chat and such untop of the gameplay objective.

I wouldn't watch a Let's Play like the one you want me to be, so I won't act like it. I'd never ever want to listen to a scripted post-production Let's Play for instance.  I do what I enjoy, there are many ways to do a let's play and I don't think there is a wrong way - and I don't think "nobody wants to hear" what I have to say, I've already gotten feedback that it's actually something they enjoy.

I'm not dismissing you or anything, I'm genuinely happy you're trying to help, but we may just enjoy different things in our Let's Plays?

No, that's fair. It sounds like you'd be better off doing Live Streams instead where you can have actual people in on your playthrough and get live commentary for you to respond to, but either way, its your prerogative.

Though I do have one last piece of valuable advice to impart before I depart and that is to never, under any circumstance, do a Youtube catalog dump on another LP site. Its one of the faster ways to earn yourself an instantaneous flaming, trolling, perma-banning and thread gassing all in one go.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 09:25:46 AM »
Is that from experience? :P  I wasn't planning on it anyway. I'm thinking of ways to advertise the stream but I'm trying hard not to be obnoxious about it. I've posted a couple links on reddit but only on threads specifically created for doing so. (r/JRPG for instance has a thread once a week, so I put a link in there).

EDIT: Oh, also I'm not ruling out the idea of streaming. I think that sounds fun too.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »
Couple of quick questions for you, Star:

> What sort of headset/microphone do you use? Just looking for general quality/price point. And so you don't worry, I'm asking because the audio is decent, not the other way around.

> Are you still using the same software for recording? I thought I heard you mention at the beginning of one of the episodes you had to change what you were using.

You do have me intrigued at trying this myself, though not until after I move and not if I end up needing fairly pricey equipment to even get something with moderate quality.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:12 PM »
I use a Blue Yeti microphone, it's recommended by most people. I have a habit of leaning in too close to it (cause I'm 74 and think something can't work unless my mouth is right on it apparently).

I'm using Xsplit to record now, since mishira failed to pick up my audio on one of my soundtests.

You should definitely give it a go. I was nervous but the more I do the more fun I have.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
> FURSONA!!!  Cosmos is a great name and great use of 'no-reason' mascot, but I might be bias (please keep in touch if you need/want any other graphics I'm happy to do them for this)

> I love the mileage you're getting with Imogen Heap... even though that's not a good thing (since it's your 'death tune', but makes sing every time xD )

> For a guy who says JRPGs are easy you're sure losing a lot of characters !!! xP

> I definitely think "I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight" should be up there.

> Great use of cuts in general. x)

> Your "luck" with character level ups is unreal.  I'm happy Ike got at least one good one in
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »
Are you all caught up then? I'm just gonna record a new episode today :P

EDIT: NVM, change of plans. Can't record. No batteries for controller. :p
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:24:39 AM by Starmongoose »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
New episode is up! Recorded 2 today, my voice hurts - I really am not used to speaking for a long time.

Clicky!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:41 PM »
WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE!? YOU ALREADY ALLITERATED WITH B!!! UNSUBSCRIBE!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:13 AM »
I bring dishonor on family. :(

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 05:44:02 PM »
New Episode: Who's ready for a feels trip?

Clicky!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »
Congrats on finally getting away casualty free! I like Mia's outfit, it's super cute but also fairly practical.

I wish I could see this battle in real time:
> Enemy is about to stab a guy with a lance.
> Stops as a thief crosses in front of him "Pardon me! 'scuse-- just gonna... ergh... and yoink! Thank ya! as you were!"
> Both sides watch in shock
"What the bloody hell was THAT!?"

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 05:05:46 AM »
Hey! New Episode! Episode 8 - Stormy Siege - Hey Klutz, you're in this episode!

Clicky!

Congrats on finally getting away casualty free! I like Mia's outfit, it's super cute but also fairly practical.

I wish I could see this battle in real time:
> Enemy is about to stab a guy with a lance.
> Stops as a thief crosses in front of him "Pardon me! 'scuse-- just gonna... ergh... and yoink! Thank ya! as you were!"
> Both sides watch in shock
"What the bloody hell was THAT!?"

Haha, I like to imagine their just too stealthy to be seen.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:30:14 AM by Starmongoose »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 11:21:52 AM »
Watched it last night but was too tired to comment on it. Still having fun watching, and happy to have the honor of being your first custom weapon. Surprised Ike didn't just keep missing when using The Klutz considering my luck when playing games. Actually, that was an impressive display of strategy altogether.