Author Topic: First time Dungeon Master, needs advice

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
First time Dungeon Master, needs advice
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »
A group of friends and I have been attempting to start a D & D games for a while, but have been dragging our feet a bit on who would be the DM.  Eventually, out of necessity and desperation, the task fell to me.  I've never lead a  game before so I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with it and could give me some advice on the matter. 

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: First time Dungeon Master, needs advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »
I guess I should mention that we already have the 5th edition starter set and the DM guide/player's handbook/monster manual (I work at a library, so it wasn't hard to come across).

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:45 PM »
Woo. This is a big and complex question. It really depends on the style of play your players are looking for. I run games that a bit more heavy on the role play. I guess the best piece of advice I ever got was have fun.  I know it sounds trite and a bit simplistic but really that is the most important thing. As the DM don't let one player ruin the game. Don't let them overcoming an obstacle too easy get you down, just as you don't want to make it impossible for then to complete the campaign. Put yourself in the shoes of the player and ask "would this be fun".
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »
I was in a campaign for a while with RPGFan's own Kyle as the DM, and it was great... but we played online, and scheduling fell apart, and we only did like four sessions, and I'm still kind of bummed about that almost a year later. :(
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
Oh, also don't let the rules bog you down. I know that 5e has a lot of flexibility, but consider that if something doesn't make sense, or if you feel the need to house rules something, make sure to explain it appropriately and that it isn't just for the benefit of the DM.

To hijack this a bit...if anyone wants to do an online game I would be down ^_^
All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
Oh, also don't let the rules bog you down. I know that 5e has a lot of flexibility, but consider that if something doesn't make sense, or if you feel the need to house rules something, make sure to explain it appropriately and that it isn't just for the benefit of the DM.

a friend of mine and I would absolutely be down with this.  I haven't played in 4 or 5 years (I was using 3.5) so it would be a lot easier for me to get back into things with some practice first.  We'd just need to track down 2 more people...

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »

Oh yeah, house rules will happen. There's always either a gray zone in the rules or just some shit rules that everyone hates.
Just be democratic and consistent about it.

Heck, I'd be down for an online game but I can't play D&D anymore =(
Sorry but Exalted is just that much better.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »
I like exalted. I usually allow stunting in my D&D games.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
If you do want to do stuff online, we had pretty good luck with Roll20.  The system worked fine for our group, it was our calendars that didn't.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
I've used OpenRPG for a long time but that thing really sucks ass.