Author Topic: RpgDatabase.net

Jahmis

• View Profile
RpgDatabase.net
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »
I've been lurking and listening to the podcasts for a while, but thought I'd finally jump in to let everyone here know about a personal project I've been working on that you all might be interested in.  It's a searchable listing of all computer and console RPG's that I can find on the internets.  It's still a work in progress and I'm slowly updating it as I get time.  Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

And before anyone rages about why X is rated higher than Y, what the hell am I thinking, and why Blah doesn't have the Shiny Pony tag, I'm just pulling data from multiple other sources and displaying it.  I don't have any control over what tags a game has or what it's rating is.  I can work on messaging the data to make it make more sense though if you find anything that seems totally out of line.  Just let me know.

http://www.rpgdatabase.net/

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: RpgDatabase.net
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
Woah!  Great job Jahmis!  This is a great idea and I wish more games were listed like this, it'd be way easier to find titles to scratch a particular itch.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:39:59 AM »
Nice project you got there.

Just a little FYI: platform buttons become like 2400 pixel height after clicking one (on Firefox at least)

Jahmis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »

Just a little FYI: platform buttons become like 2400 pixel height after clicking one (on Firefox at least)

Oh, thanks.  I hate all the cross-browser issues you always need to be looking out for.  I do all my work on Chrome so I didn't notice it.  I'll get it fixed.

Jahmis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »
Woah!  Great job Jahmis!  This is a great idea and I wish more games were listed like this, it'd be way easier to find titles to scratch a particular itch.
And thanks.  I'm glad you like it.  Let me know what you think would make it even better.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »

Oh, thanks.  I hate all the cross-browser issues you always need to be looking out for.  I do all my work on Chrome so I didn't notice it.  I'll get it fixed.

You might want to throw some support for Opera as well.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »
Wow! Nice one :o

This is perfect for when I'm in the mood for playing something but I'm not sure what. I can just search the things I like and see what pops up!

*high five*

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
You could try adding something like a feedback thing, mainly to help if someone has some games for you to list or if something is inaccurate.
edit: it may also be helpful (if you can) to specify the region of the release dates and the platforms, since a lot of games are released several years apart in different regions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:41:52 AM by insertnamehere »

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
You've got Baroque listed as a PS1 game. 

edit: I guess I should have checked to see the JP release info before saying something stupid
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:03:14 PM by glassjawsh »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
This is seriously a cool tool you've created here.

I honestly wish more folk became ambitious and created some encyclopedic hub for all games/genres that worked just like this. Awesome efforts buddy!
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Jahmis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »
Thanks for all the support.  I'm glad you like it.  I've added a section to each game page that lists other similar games to the one you're looking at.  It's still rough and I'm going to keep working on it, but let me know if it seems useful or if it's totally off base.  One thing I'm going to do is make it take platforms into account, which it's not doing right now.  So you'll see games on totally unrelated platforms to the one you're looking at, which may or may not be interesting to you.

And a couple follow-ups to comments...

I looked at this on Opera and it seems to work just fine.

Feedback is always good, so I'll at least be adding an email address on the About page.  But I've been thinking about adding comments for each game page too.  What do all think?

And about listing the region for each release, I don't know if I can get that info, but I'll look into it.

Jahmis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Update: I fixed a bug with the suggestions for other similar games on each game page.  And I added support for bookmarking filter settings on the home page.  This also means that it goes back to your last search when you hit the back button from a game page.  Plus, some other minor fixes and UI cleanup. 

And I don't know if any admins are reading this, but if so I'd love to add a link to the review for each game in my database that has a review here.  I think that would really add to the overall usefulness of the site.  Send me a PM or just reply here.

Enjoy!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
necroing because this is still a thing that I use and something I wish I would have thought of myself.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »
This is a really nice site, I'm loving it! Bookmarked! <3

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 10:14:48 AM »
necroing because this is still a thing that I use and something I wish I would have thought of myself.

Glad you posted here and brought this back into my radar. the database, it seems, has grown substantially since I first checked it out and I'm sort of in love with it.

I mean, we all know there are games out we don't know about and wish we did. This makes it sooooo convenient to discover them. How else are you gonna so easily stumble over some appealing SNES release or GBA game you never knew about?

Fantastic site to be sure, but more so now that I know it is kept up with and maintained still. ***Forever bookmarked and tool-barred***
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.