Author Topic: The ETHEReal String Project

Kater

• View Profile
The ETHEReal String Project
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
Just bought and listened to this album after reading Marcos' review. I was equally surprised that the beautiful string sound was created with three players. Overall, the album is very pleasant to listen to. I especially liked the FFXIII renditions (since seeing Distant Worlds recently, all I've been listening to is FF music...). The musicians were really able to grab the emotions of each of the pieces. The album has a nice variety to it, highlighting both great Eastern and Western themes (I was very happy to hear Mass Effect 3). Definitely a good buy. I hope there's more to come. What did others think?

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Re: The ETHEReal String Project
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
Thanks so much for starting a discussion here! I'm a slacker and totally forgot-- but I am sure the creators would be delighted to know you decided to pick up the album!

I'm a huge fan of it. The Skyrim tunes really capture what I like about the tone of that soundtrack without quite the same tedium I find in the original material.

I love love love the Trisection arrangement, and I think alongside Secunda and Eternity, it's among my favorites on the album. Truthfully though, I really do like every piece.

Barron's original song, The Forest of Awakening, is also really excellent, and showcases that he's not only a skilled arranger.

The performances in each track are equally excellent. I know this seems to be a whole lot of positive without much critique, but I have been listening to this all day at work and really enjoy it.

Also, they covered Heroes of Mana and Eruyt from FFXII, so wins all around. In fact, the track selection in general is excellent!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:40:49 PM by Taelus »
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:41 PM »
Hey, thanks for starting up a thread for this, Kater! I was stuck at work all day to start one. ;)

My review more or less gives my impressions on the album. If I had to add anything else, i'd add it to the review. ;) But in all seriousness, I've been following this album's progression since last November. I've waited patiently for this thing to come out and when it did, I HAD to love every bit of it (I love string music).

Also, He knocks Trisection the heck out of the park (Especially when he has the end of the "victory theme/jungle" end the piece). A very nice ending to it! ;)

edit: I meant Jingle in that last part. Woops! ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:29:49 PM by Wild Armor »

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
Barron's original song, The Forest of Awakening, is also really excellent, and showcases that he's not only a skilled arranger.

THIIIIS.

The arrangements were all cool, and I appreciated his song selections a lot too (lots of stuff that hasn't been arranged *as much*). But that original track is brilliant. Brosef needs to land a gig doing a game soundtrack that is intentionally strings-centric (like, for example, Echochrome).

JoshB2005

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »
I'm really glad you all love the album! The arrangement work was quite the experience and I learned more from the musicians than I could have on my own. Andrew especially taught me quite a bit on orchestration.

I am planning out what I will do next, but rather than go with a collection of themes from various games, I want to focus on one composer or series. I'm thinking something Mitsuda possibly :).

What do you all think?

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
I'm really glad you all love the album! The arrangement work was quite the experience and I learned more from the musicians than I could have on my own. Andrew especially taught me quite a bit on orchestration.

I am planning out what I will do next, but rather than go with a collection of themes from various games, I want to focus on one composer or series. I'm thinking something Mitsuda possibly :).

What do you all think?

I would like to see that. Personally, I would like to hear something from Noriyuki Iwadare/Grandia series or Naruke/Wild Arms Series. However, I think Mitsuda is always a safe pool of memorable pieces to choose from.

Actually, and this is for kicks and giggles, how would you orchestrate "Let's Join" from Dragon Warrior Monsters for strings? I arranged it for bassoon, flute and clarinet (definitely going to expand it for a quintet because lol when do they breathe?) in Sibelius and it came out humorous. ;) Again, just for kicks and giggles!

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »
I also love Mitsuda. If I were to pick a composer, I'd pick Shimomura. Her string work is already amazing so arrangements of them could be wonderful.

+1 on the album love!
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

JoshB2005

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:03 PM »
I also love Mitsuda. If I were to pick a composer, I'd pick Shimomura. Her string work is already amazing so arrangements of them could be wonderful.

+1 on the album love!

If I were to do Shimomura music, I want to get Kyle Landry to perform somewhere on the album ;). But yeah I would love to do a Shimomura only project too! It just seems right to do one for Mitsuda since Chrono Arrange was announced and he is coming back into the spotlight.

Wild Armor,

Iwadare would be cool! Silver Star Story is some great stuff! Naruke would be great too! I might do something from them in the future but I would have to get more comfortable with their works. I wouldn't feel at all like I would be doing the composers justice if I didn't know the music inside and out. I'll do some homework ;).