Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330128 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Got an HDTV and have a few tech questions.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Got an HDTV and have a few tech questions.  (Read 1899 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:21:10 AM »

Years ago I was suckered into buying one of those fancy-shmancy HDTV"s that aren't HDTV's really, it was HD ready or whatever... I could upgrade it to play HD stuff if I wanted. I never did get anything in the HD world... I played someof my 360 games on it because in standard definition it still looked better than my other flat screen TV. Anyway, this thing is totally different than  my older one, especially since I'm going to get some HD programming soon.

I'll tell you what i got, in case it helps at all. A Sony Bravio 26" LCD Digital HDTV, that supports 480i. 480p, 720p and 1080i.

1. When I play standard DVD movies in windesreen, why doesn't the movie fill the entire screen? My TV has a few different widescreen modes like Wide Zoom that fills the screen with minimal distortion, Normal which displays 4:3 in original size when source is 4:3, Full which enlarges the image horizontally when original source is 4:3, or displays 16:9 (high definition source) in original size and finally Zoom, which enlarges picture without distorting the aspect ratio. A few of these options make the picture size to small and a few of them enlarge them too much, cutting off parts of the image. How do i get it the image to fit perfectly to the screen like I see them in the stores all the time? Is the only way to do this by buying a Blu Ray or HDTV player?

2. A lot of my satellite channels are broadcast in HDTV. Like I said above, I've yet to get an HD reciever, but plan on it next week. Why is it that when I watch a channel broadcast in HD, the picture still wants to be shown in 4:3 ratio? I know since my satellite receiver isn't capable of HD, I can't watch those channels in HD, but I thought at least I'd be able to watch those channels in 16:9 widescreen. Or will those only appear in widescreen once I get HD programming?

3. Video games. One video game, really. I tried playing the GameCube version of Zelda through it, and it worked fine. But if anyone that's played it knows, the game tests your screen each time you turn it on to see what kind of TV/screen resolution you are using, One test shows you 3 boxes and asks if you see three boxes, the other gives you a little color strip with 4 spaces and asks if you can see 4 distinct colors (4 different shades of gray). On my odl tv, I clearly saw 4 colors, but on this new HDTV, i see two colors and two black spaces. It says if you can't see 4 distinct colors to adjust the brightness setting on your TV. I did this, and even tried adjusting the backlight thing, and I still can only see 2 black and two colored spaces. Like I said, the game seems to look fine, but it's odd that it can't display that color on the screen test. Maybe getting digital cables will help?

4. What HD AV cords would you guys recommend to hook my 360 up to this thing?

Thanks in advance.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »

1. Go through your DVD player's settings and see if there's a widescreen option. If it's there, enable it, it'll make anamorphic DVDs take up a 16:9 ratio, and as long as you have it set to full, it should display fully. However, there's some DVDs that aren't anamorphic that are 4:3 letter boxed, so the only way to make them take up the proper amount of space is to zoom in. The DVD re-releases of the Star Wars movies are a good example for both: The new, edited versions are anamorphic DVDs, while the unedited versions are 4:3 letterboxed.

Also, there's different movie ratios. 1:85:1 and 2:39:1 or something similar. If memory serves right, the first would be proper 16:9 for a TV screen, and fill it up fully, while the second would be... Wider, and still leave black bars on the top and bottom.

2. Some channels are widescreen, some are not. I know PBS is widescreen at least, and they may change depending on the programming that's on.

3. No idea how to help you there really, though I wouldn't bother getting component cables at this point of the GC's life, unless you never ever want a Wii. They're going for $50+ on eBay I believe, and won't work on anything but the GC.

4. I'd just use the ones that came with the XBox, assuming you got the premium. It sounds like Monster cables actually do offer a giant improvement, but I can't see it being worth $50 or 60 or whatever grotesquely inflated amount they want. But if you got the core, you might have to spend $40 or something for Microsoft's cords, so you might want to seriously consider Monster's afterall.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 06:32:21 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Eusis.

I'll go through my DVD player menues and see what's up, I think.

I saw that with the GameCube component cables. Amazon sellers are selling them for 99 bucks. Screw that. I would love to play Twilight Princess with component cables, but I'm not paying as much as they want for the system for them. I considered the GameCube is pretty dead as well. So I just bought component cables for my 360 instead (I bought the core system). I couldn't find the ones made by Microsoft, so I bought the only off-brand ones they had to hold me over until I found some made by Microsoft. Holy shit, this is the first time I've played a game in true HD, and it blew my mind how great it looks!

I tried playing a standard definition movie through my 360 with component cables, and it always defaults to 420p setting or whatever it is. Why is this? Just because it's not an HD source or something? Also, the 360 games are playing full HD and widescreen, just like they're supposed to, but the standard DVD's aren't.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »

The system is perfectly capable of upscaling, as you can manage it via VGA cables. However, the MPAA or whatever is stupid and anal retentive, and wants all DVD players that upscale to have HDMI, maybe only do it through HDMI. As such, the X360 isn't allowed to do anything higher than 480p for now. Maybe when/if that HDMI unit comes out or something, we'll see it.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »

You sure about that? In my 360's settings, you can select it to play games in 1080i. It asks if you want to play in 480, 720 or 1080i. It only reverts to 480p when I try to watch movies through it.

Oh, and another question. I take it there isn't a way to play games like Twilight Princess on my HDTV in true widescreen mode without having component cables? You think there'd be an option to use compositie cables and still play in true widescreen (without stretching the screen this way or that) without it playing in HD.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »

Sorry, I just meant DVD movies can't be higher than 480p. Everything else (and I presume movies rented over their service) can be played from 480i to 1080p.

As for Twilight Princess: That's only on the Wii. That seems like Nintendo being assholes at first, giving yet another reason to make people jump for the Wii and TP on that over just getting it on the GC, but after trying a bunch of PS2 games to find that widescreen for them meant 'we cut off the top and bottom', and trying widescreen on TP Wii and seeing it cut off nothing, only adding to the sides, I think the GC simply may not have been able to properly display Zelda as a widescreen game. Oh, and while you meant the GC version (I assume), you can play Zelda wide screen on the Wii without having component cables.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:38:50 PM »

Hmmm, well thanks. Looks like I'll just stick to component cables for the 360 and other next gen systems, should I choose to buy them later on.

Changing the settings in my DVD player to 16:9 helped out a bunch. And what's cool was I was watching a movie just fine after setting that, and then popped in one of my Simpsons DVD's and it automatically reverted back to 4:3 ratio. I'm glad I don't have to switch back and forth all the time. Watching regular DVD's through my HDTV and component cables looks a hell of a lot better than it did on a regular TV with composite cables, but it pales in comparison to the image it shows while playing a 360 game in 1080i. I know 1080p is better, but damn if this still doesn't look nice as hell.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »

1080i might not be the best for what you have. I keep hearing progressive is better than interlaced, and just keep it at 720p. I haven't given it a serious test yet, admittedly, to see how different they look.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »

Eusis, do you know anything about HDTV singals when it comes to satellites?

I am currently a Dish Network subscriber. I pay by the year to get a small discount off my bill. Anyway, to get HDTV through Dish Network, I have to buy a 300 dollar receiver capable of HD. Then on top of that, I have to pay for HD programming, and even on top of that they said I also will be charged 6 bucks a month just for getting the HD signal, even though I'm buying the receiver!

Anyway, what I'd like to know is... the Premium HDTV package I'm buying includes 30 or so HD channels that broadcast in HD all the time. But don't some other channels like The Science Channel, National geographic etc. show some shows in HD as well? Will the HD shows broadcast on non-HD specific channels still show in HD once I get the HD package? Like, Animal Planet is mostly a Standard Definiton channel, but I see them say every so often "This show is broadcast in high definition". I assume these shows will all switch to HD once the program starts wiothout me have to switch the ratio setting and what-not?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:23:41 PM »

I really can't say, as I haven't had satellite service in years. However, PBS is different when viewing the normal, SD signal, and the HD signal, so it could be basically two different channels that happen to show an HD signal every so often. I really don't know, see if they're also listed in the roster of 24/7 HD channels.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: