Author Topic: MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: SEP/30: Favourite VGM Song (Overworld/Hubs/Maps Starts Pg3)
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »
FF12 - The Cerobi Steppe.  One of the more idyllic themes from 12, and it fits the scenery perfectly.

FF12 - The Feywood.  I find this simultaneously beautiful and unnerving.

FFT - World Map.  Although it can get a little repetitive, this induces in me an almost Zen-like tranquility.

Odin Sphere - World Map.  A melancholy track, which fits Odin Sphere quite well.

Sakimoto is probably the Most Underrated of the Godfathers of JRPG Music.  Yeah, he doesn't go outside of his comfort zone very often, but... his style is just so solid and recognizable that hearing it always brings you back to the feelings you had while you were in the game world.  Maybe that's just me.
That being said, I'm definitely more of a fan of his peaceful themes, like Cerobi Steppe.  He excels at that particular brand of atmospheric immersion, imo.
And, of course, the entirety of the Tactics soundtrack... I mean... what more needs to be said?

Ni no Kuni - World Map.  I wish more games had symphonic soundtracks...

Joe Hisaishi is one of the greatest Japanese composers of all time. I do not say that lightly.  Everyone should listen to the OSTs for Castle In The Sky, Princess Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle.  Everyone.

As for Dice's Dishonorable Mentions.... meh.  Nostalgia would significantly improve that Symphonia track,

I respectfully disagree.  I LOVED Symphonia, it was one of my favorite RPGs of the era, I reviewed it very favorably, it did almost everything right, but the music was utterly forgettable.  Not bad, mind, you, but I don't remember any of it.  I couldn't hum any of it to you.  I could recall plot points I liked, overworld skits I found amusing, interesting locations, gameplay elements I liked, but none of the music.  Symphonia is a happy nostalgic game for me, but it won't be music bringing me those feelings. 

Fair enough.  It's not a good track, for sure.  I just figured nostalgia was the explanation for why it had so many likes and views on Youtube.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
Main Theme - FFVII - Probably the most predictable choice ever but I'll never forget the first time I came out onto the world map in VII and heard this piece of music. My favourite track in the game by a mile.

Corridors of Time - Chrono Trigger Another favourite in the whole game. I love the mystical theme it exudes. It's just a damn excellent track.

That's all I can think of for now...

Main Theme - FFVII
Legendary.  Uematsu's work on VI and VII are the absolute pinnacle of all VGM.  No modern VGM composer has ever (EVER!) put more feeling into their music than Uematsu did with those two games.

Corridors of Time - Chrono Trigger
Absolutely an all-time great.  This piece of music... it feels like it makes promises.  Does that make sense?  Something about its melody and instrumentation reaches into your heart and it promises you a wide open future, a future of your own making.....
Ugh.  My amateur poetry aside, it's an amazing work of musical creativity and a testament to the genius of Yasunori Mitsuda.  I've posted it before, but the Smooth McGroove version is something really special, I think.  So oddly heartfelt.

Chrono Trigger - Wind Scene 
Chorno Cross - Fields of Time 
Chrono Cross -  On the Beach of Dreams ~ Another World   
Xenogears - Emotions   
Suikoden II Even Further
Suikoden III Going on a Journey 
Suikoden V Distant Journey   
Suikoden Tiekeris -Arrival on the Great Plains   
Atelier Iris - Wind Over Time 
Albert Odyssey Gaiden -Mysterioso (Overworld Theme)   
Lunar the Silver Star - overworld 01     
Lunar the Silver Star - overworld 2   
Paladin's Quest - Naskuot Overworld
Wild Arms I - Lone Bird In The Shire (Rudy's Theme) 
Wild Arms III  Migratory Birds
Final Fantasy VI wild west
Final Fantasy IV underworld theme
Persona 2 Eternal punishment world map1

A personal favorite. :)
I love minimalist themes that rely on melody.  Melody is a difficult thing, so a composer that can consistently create stirring and beautiful melodies automatically gets my love and respect.  Mitsuda is, of course, one of the very best at this.

Chrono Cross -  Fields of Time and On the Beach of Dreams ~ Another World
Bro, you stole the ones I was going to contribute to the thread.  The carefree, peaceful feeling of Home World and the wondrous, ominous, and yet beautiful theme of Another World.... they evoke the absolute perfect moods for their portions of the game.
Really, words don't do justice to these themes, so... I won't say anything more.  It's all been said before, anyways.  Truly superlative themes in a superlative soundtrack.

Xenogears - Emotions
Mitsuda did a great job with this OST, but... so much of it has a weird vibe to it.  Like... it sounds like a '90s R&B song, or something.  Still, it's beautiful stuff.

Suikoden II - Even Further
Lacks the emotional punch of the above selections, but... comparing anything to Mitsuda is kind of unfair.  Also, it could be a side effect of this particular link having some bad volume normalization problems.  Still, for a field theme, I love that it's a march.  Makes me want to march out into the world and kill some monsters.

Suikoden III - Going on a Journey
Lovely.  Lovely name for a field theme, too. :P
This is a big step up from "Even Further", if you ask me.  Still has the feeling of a march to it, with the percussion, but a much stronger melody, giving it more feeling.

Suikoden V - Distant Journey
Nice use of synth brass here.  I guess all of Suikoden's field themes are marches?  Not a bad thing at all.

Suikoden Tiekeris - Arrival on the Great Plains
Never mind, this could hardly be called a march.  So... I have no idea what "Suikoden Tierkris" is, but this music is not only REALLY good, but... it sounds familiar.  Hm.  I love the mix of tribal percussion with a violin-driven melody.  Weird combo, but it completely works.

This... is pretty similar to "Arrival on the Great Plains", oddly enough.  In feeling and instrumentation, I mean.  I honestly don't remember Atelier Iris' music being this high quality, though.

Never heard of this game, but this track is very reminiscent of Final Fantasy VI (The Phantom Train theme, specifically).  Really really interesting stuff happening here.  What is this game??

Nothing particularly special about this one.  And it's short.  Not bad at all, but not a standout track.

Another march!  Marches always work for overworld themes, and this is no different.  LET'S GO ON A FREAKIN' ADVENTURE, EVERYONE!  Oh wait, too late, the track is already over...

The SNES sound chip could do a lot, but it was just restrictive enough for composers to get very creative.  This track would not be at all out of place among the VGM Golden Age greats of its era.  Maybe not topping lists, but certainly a worthwhile bit of VGM here.

Yyyyeaaaaahhh, freakin' Wild Arms.  Love the western feel to the music in the WA franchise, and this track is especially western.  Snakes and tumbleweeds and rawhide are practically spewing out of this music.  It's awesome.

A nice, toned-down track with lovely synth-whistling.  I like the crescendo it builds to.  Not overdone.

Final Fantasy VI - Wild West
Heh.  The Veldt.  :P
Well played, selecting the most under-appreciated field theme from a game that features THE TWO GREATEST FIELD THEMES IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.  Hint: this is not one of those two, but it's still amazing.

Final Fantasy IV - Underworld Theme
This particular version of this ubiquitous melody is... interesting.  I like how Uematsu was able to squeeze a few different feelings out of the same melody in FFIV.  Uematsu is good at that in general.  He does this especially well in FFIX, I think.

You know.... the music might be the best part of Persona games.  I admit, I haven't really given the games much of a shot (I'm leery of the content), but the music consistently impresses me, and this track is no different.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bass here, especially.  I know different Persona titles have different composers (right?), but they all have a very modern feel, which I think is very refreshing for RPGs (and works, obviously, for the modern settings in Persona games).  The sound font used here is also great.
It's weird, because I WANT to dislike things about Persona, but... I just can't hate on the amazing music.

I don't know if it's because we were talking about Star Ocean a lot lately, but Star Ocean 2's overworld theme got stuck in my head.  It's so heroic sounding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB05cDOpndc

And I have to give a nod to Phantasy Star 2 as well.  Dezo's theme was haunting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCBMaVWgHY \

And no overworld theme thread would be complete without "Searching for Friends" from FF6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ClGdaICGI

Star Ocean 2 - Field of Expel
Ahhhh... this takes me back.  "COME HERE, BARNEY!"
I remember, as a teen, thinking the wildly lush feeling evoked by SO2's synthy orchestra was really epic.  But then the first time I slept at an inn I just laughed, because even the sleep music was insanely orchestral and quite overdone.  But most of the rest of SO2's OST is of top tier quality, and this track is just one example of that.  I love what this track does at around the 2:30 mark.
Bonus points for a nice long loop.

Phantasy Star 2 - Silent Zone
Man, the Genesis sound chip is just so foreign to me, not having ever had the pleasure of enjoying Phantasy Star as a kid.  Still, the melody here is quite good.

Final Fantasy VI - Searching For Friends
One of the two GREATEST OVERWORLD THEMES IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.  Thank you for saving me the trouble of posting it myself.

*stretches*
Whew.  That was a lot of good VGM.

I'm just gonna leave this here and be on my way, I guess.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
I'm just gonna leave this here and be on my way, I guess.

I can't believe I forgot this. I am ashamed of myself...

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
You know.... the music might be the best part of Persona games.  I admit, I haven't really given the games much of a shot (I'm leery of the content), but the music consistently impresses me, and this track is no different.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bass here, especially.  I know different Persona titles have different composers (right?), but they all have a very modern feel, which I think is very refreshing for RPGs (and works, obviously, for the modern settings in Persona games).  The sound font used here is also great.
It's weird, because I WANT to dislike things about Persona, but... I just can't hate on the amazing music.

Did you listen to Persona 2: Innocent Sin's overworld theme as well?  Curious as to which one you prefer and why.

I love Innocent Sin's overworld theme as well.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_KneL2qac

I love both, but Innocent Sin's more melancholy overworld theme just tugs my emotions more (though EP's theme has a little more "funk" to it.)  Then again, I found IS a more emotionally charged game than EP.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:37:34 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »
I can't believe I forgot this. I am ashamed of myself...

Definitely this, oh lord I now tell myself to keep these lists short so I can feel less 'hurt' by what I forgot... it's like I physically betrayed my favourite songs, forgetting them like they were nothing and they didn't THRILL my ears.

Anyways.

WOW, I didn't expect this one to light up as much as the 'battle theme' one, tickle me surprised.

@Arvis, really kind of you to share a lot of reactions, hell, even personal stories.  I did favorite the OCremix of Casually, btw, sorry the Shadow Hearts overworld did nothing, definitely can't win them all, but for the most part.... :)

As for Dice's Dishonorable Mentions.... meh.  Nostalgia would significantly improve that Symphonia track,

I respectfully disagree.  I LOVED Symphonia, it was one of my favorite RPGs of the era, I reviewed it very favorably, it did almost everything right, but the music was utterly forgettable.  Not bad, mind, you, but I don't remember any of it.  I couldn't hum any of it to you.  I could recall plot points I liked, overworld skits I found amusing, interesting locations, gameplay elements I liked, but none of the music.  Symphonia is a happy nostalgic game for me, but it won't be music bringing me those feelings. 

I definitely thought the OST had 'ok' parts.  I don't get why "Beat the Angel" or whatever gets so much love, but hey, that's how it is.
Dry Trail was really lovely as far as a dungeon track.  I was oddly keen on the 'Symphonian-choir" for its unique sound.  But anyways, a surprisingly great rendition of this song was the OCRemix version 'Continental Divide' which replaces many of the instruments with harps, strings, and oboes.  Very nice.
Treant Forest was cool, but it helped if you had ToP under your belt since it was a nice Easter Egg for fans.
Search the Seal (Tethe'Alla ver) was cool and mysterious enough....
And.....And...Hm. There's a few other little pieces that aren't bad, but it's a pretty average OST, imo. 
I guess that Tethe'Alla world map theme isn't bad either, or maybe just better compared to the Sylvarant one.

Chorno Cross - Fields of Time 
Chrono Cross -  On the Beach of Dreams ~ Another World   
Xenogears - Emotions   
Suikoden II Even Further
Suikoden III Going on a Journey 
Suikoden V Distant Journey   
Suikoden Tiekeris -Arrival on the Great Plains   
Final Fantasy VI wild west
Final Fantasy IV underworld theme

Generally a great batch.  I have an odd soft spot for FF4's underworld theme (and I do like the overworld too of course!).  Great choice and definitely a small one I totally overlooked (see my first blip above).  I don't really "like" the song, but I also admire the stupid Moon theme for sounding...Moon-y.

If you want to have Wild ARMs I's *beautiful* overworld ruined for you then click here, otherwise ignore it (which is what I sometimes choose to do when it comes up on my playlist). :/
I still love it (and not to take away from a 'future theme of the week', but I *adore* the airship theme too).

If there's one here I'm sad I haven't seen it's FF9's overworld theme.  It's so lovely.  But I guess I'd be a bit hesitant to put it since it's basically just the main theme.  FF8's Blue Fields probably registers as a Top 5 for that game's OST though.  And yes, FF7's is classic (though I hate that 1 depressing minute where it sounds like the world's going to hell); it's epic in every way it should be and totally works in-game, in context, and so on.  FFVI's Wild West was totally an overlooked track especially compared to the more eponymous track "Tina" which steals the show most of the time instead (not at all a bad thing, but it means Wild West doesn't get the love).

I was gonna put CT's "Wind Scene" or CC "Dream for the Shore", but again, and definitely as a flaw about the kind of music I listen to, still strike me as somewhat sad to enjoy on any occasion or when it pipes up on a play list... I gotta "feel it".  That aside, they're very nice, Dream for the Shore being a favourite of my brother's, actually, and also one of mine.  I know it sounds silly given how much game music can range and how beautiful some of it is... but it was one of those tracks that didn't feel "video gamey" at all to me... It's just real pretty.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 04:21:14 AM »
Xenogears - Emotions
Mitsuda did a great job with this OST, but... so much of it has a weird vibe to it.  Like... it sounds like a '90s R&B song, or something.  Still, it's beautiful stuff.
I like this track A lot but it does sound better as A "stand alone" then A overworld track

Lacks the emotional punch of the above selections, but... comparing anything to Mitsuda is kind of unfair.  Also, it could be a side effect of this particular link having some bad volume normalization problems.  Still, for a field theme, I love that it's a march.  Makes me want to march out into the world and kill some monsters.

As you could tell from many of the selections on my list, I like marches a lot, especially those that have military like percussion. I actually goofed up on the youtube selection for that track. A fan made alterations to it, so here is the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_AKFvVsSn4

Never heard of this game, but this track is very reminiscent of Final Fantasy VI (The Phantom Train theme, specifically).  Really really interesting stuff happening here.  What is this game?? 
Albert Odyssey Gaiden  for Sega Saturn. It was one of the few Saturn RPGs that actually got localized. It had a really nice soundtrack. Sadly, the composer seemingly dropped off the face of the earth after he finished the soundtrack for this game..

Another march!  Marches always work for overworld themes, and this is no different.  LET'S GO ON A FREAKIN' ADVENTURE, EVERYONE!  Oh wait, too late, the track is already over...
I greatly preferred the original Sega CD Lunar soundtrack to any of the remakes, but A lot of the tracks suffer from having durations that were just too short. Here is An arranged version that stays true to the original, from the cd that came with the limited edition of the PS1 remake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_irqueqEqRg

Final Fantasy VI - Wild West
Heh.  The Veldt.  :P
Well played, selecting the most under-appreciated field theme from a game that features THE TWO GREATEST FIELD THEMES IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.  Hint: this is not one of those two, but it's still amazing.
Those other 2 tracks were guaranteed to be mentioned, so I went for the under appreciated one. I was going to the Same about the Chrono Trigger/Cross stuff, but the Mitsuda fanboy in me won out.

Final Fantasy IV - Underworld Theme
This particular version of this ubiquitous melody is... interesting.  I like how Uematsu was able to squeeze a few different feelings out of the same melody in FFIV.  Uematsu is good at that in general.  He does this especially well in FFIX, I think.
What I like about this track is how Uematsu mixed the somber, melancholic  main melody with that upbeat bass. I really love the bass in Uematsu's SNES soundtracks.
You know.... the music might be the best part of Persona games.  I admit, I haven't really given the games much of a shot (I'm leery of the content), but the music consistently impresses me, and this track is no different.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bass here, especially.  I know different Persona titles have different composers (right?), but they all have a very modern feel, which I think is very refreshing for RPGs (and works, obviously, for the modern settings in Persona games).  The sound font used here is also great.
I prefer the Persona and Persona 2 Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment osts. They are so varied and showcase A lot of different musical genre. Not saying  Persona 3 and 4 doesn't  have great tracks, they are just way too "J-popy" for my liking.

If you want to have Wild ARMs I's *beautiful* overworld ruined for you then click here, otherwise ignore it (which is what I sometimes choose to do when it comes up on my playlist). :/
I still love it (and not to take away from a 'future theme of the week', but I *adore* the airship theme too).
I usually have issues with tracks that are so heavily influenced by someone else's work, but The Wild Arms theme works so well that I can pretty much ignore it, this rarely happens.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:05:57 AM by Chronix112 »

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »
The Maker's Beckoning - Nobuo Uematsu (Terra Battle)
Field - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes)
On the Green Road - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Zero no Kiseki/Zero no Kiseki Evolution)
Smashing Through the Mountain Path - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys Seven)
The Boy Who Had Wings - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys: The Oath in Felghana)
Desert of Despair - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys Seven)
Purgatory Rock - Satoshi Kadokura (Metal Max 3)
Beyond the Wilderness - Yoko Shimomura (Radiant Historia)
Katarina's Theme - Kenji Ito (Romancing SaGa 3)
Overworld - Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest 3)
Crime of the Heart - Ryuji Sasai (Rudra no Hihou)
Earth Bound - Ryuji Sasai (Rudra no Hihou)
The Golden World (Terra) - Saki Momiyama (Nayuta no Kiseki)
Looking Up at the Sky - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Sora no Kiseki SC)
The Garden of Recluse - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Sora no Kiseki the 3rd)
Beyond the Paradise of Lies - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ao no Kiseki Evolution)
Beyond the Light - Yasunori Mitsuda (Terra Battle)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:14:46 PM by Reta »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »
I didn't like "Blue Fields" from Final Fantasy VIII all that much when I played the game, but upon listening to this arranged version on the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec soundtrack, I changed my tune.  It was lush, it was beautiful, and it was one of my personal favorite tracks on it: http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ff8flwv/index.html
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »
If there's one here I'm sad I haven't seen it's FF9's overworld theme.  It's so lovely.  But I guess I'd be a bit hesitant to put it since it's basically just the main theme.

Every time I hear this, I dream of a day when we get some kind of remaster or remake of FF9.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 11:11:17 AM »

Did you listen to Persona 2: Innocent Sin's overworld theme as well?  Curious as to which one you prefer and why.

I just listened to both back to back.  As objectively as I can: I can see how, if you have an emotional connection to the world/story/characters, IS's would mean more to you.  I have no such connection, but I can still FEEL the heart in the theme.  However, as a piece of music, EP's theme is stronger and more enjoyable all the way around.  However, the feeling it evokes is, like.... the complete opposite of IS's, so it's tough to objectively compare the two.

@Arvis, really kind of you to share a lot of reactions, hell, even personal stories.  I did favorite the OCremix of Casually, btw, sorry the Shadow Hearts overworld did nothing, definitely can't win them all, but for the most part.... :)

I love VGM and I love this board.  When someone goes to the trouble to sustain a VGM thread and find/post lots of links, I want to put the time into listening and talking about it.  VGM is the greatest.

I also admire the stupid Moon theme for sounding...Moon-y.

You make me laugh in like 75% of your posts.

Quote from: Arvis

As you could tell from many of the selections on my list, I like marches a lot, especially those that have military like percussion. I actually goofed up on the youtube selection for that track. A fan made alterations to it, so here is the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_AKFvVsSn4

Much better.

Looks like Reta and Arklight have given me a bit more work.  I look forward to it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:14:37 AM by Arvis »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2015, 12:49:50 AM »
I also admire the stupid Moon theme for sounding...Moon-y.

You make me laugh in like 75% of your posts.

Fun story there.  Back when Facebook was new, there was some sort of "Secrets" app.  You could share anonymous secrets with a person (and, obv, pay to see the name revealed).

Anyways, one was "you're a bitch", one was a confession (daww), and like three were "you're not as funny as you think you are"
.... It stung a little.  But I have a few fans in remote pockets, so yay! :D

Anyways, I regret to inform I'm stepping down from this topic because user RETA has decided to do some good.  I hope this gives me more time to respond to your answers since I'm absolved of responsibility in updating it.  All the best to RETA, defer to them if you have any suggestions or topics worth exploring! :D
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
It's called "jealousy", Dice.  And it's ugly and makes people say untrue things that they probably don't really even mean.

Also, the fact that you remember Facebook as "new" when those apps came around makes me feel so old.....   T___________T

Well, Reta definitely seems to be into VGM, so I'm looking forward to the future of this thread.  I really will get to those tracks that Reta and Arklight posted, I promise.

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »
i like music a lot its nice
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »
On the Green Road - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Zero no Kiseki/Zero no Kiseki Evolution)

Uematsu's work has... homogenized slightly these days, but it's still AAA stuff, even for a mediocre F2P mobile game.

Many bass. Much Falcom.
Seriously, listening to this, I kinda feel like I'm in the 80s, but in a good way.  Mm, dug that acoustic-y guitar solo just before the 2:00 mark.

Mmmm..... this is good.....
The original was good, but the higher fidelity instrumentation in the "Evolution" version definitely kicked it up a notch.  Oh yes, the sax just kicked in, that's what I am freaking talking about....  I am guessing Zero no Kiseki is one of the ones we're NOT getting?  *le sigh*

Definitely some of the best Ys stuff I've heard.  Most of the Ys music I hear is just bombast for the sake of bombast, but this had some nice variety to it.

Some good melody happening here.  Maybe I should have been paying better attention to Ys music this whole time?

This starts off a little weak, but it improves as it goes.  It's kind of a relentless piece.  I could see fighting one heck of an epic battle to this music.

Ugh.  Too metal.

Very nice.  I really enjoy RH's soundtrack, and Shimomura has never let me down.  She is one of the all-time greats.
This particular track has some very good instrumentation, giving it a very exotic flavor (which I really like in my RPGs).

Mmmm... although I have never played this game, this sound font speaks to my nostalgia.  Combined with a stellar melody, this piece makes me feel warm.

Very reminiscent of some other classic SNES titles, which isn't bad.  This track is good, but not particularly distinct.

Never even heard of this game, but I can tell this music is special right from the beginning.  It's like really good parts of FFVI and Illusion of Gaia blended together.  Man, the SNES was capable of some very special stuff.

Why have I not heard of Ryuji Sasai before?  Dude's got skillz.

Good lord this is a beautiful and special piece.  I feel like I missed out on a lot of great VGM by not being born in Japan...

Ok, all these kiseki tracks are just killing me.  So dang good.  I want to live in the Trails world...

I love the chill feeling here.  It was good until the piano kicked in, and then it became great.  It does build into a very "Trails-y" crescendo, though, but still, this is an exceptional piece.
However, I have to ask: why is my precious, modest tomboy Estelle's butt practically hanging out of her skirt in the artwork?  When did she lose the cute black modesty shorts?  I NEED TO KNOW!

This is the sort of piece that can take a listener someplace.  If you hate this piece, you're either deaf or have an agenda.

Mitsuda sure can make strings make pretty noises....