Author Topic: MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: SEP/30: Favourite VGM Song (Overworld/Hubs/Maps Starts Pg3)
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
I DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO GET THIS LONG AAAAAAAA WHOOPS

Ar Tonelico II: The Second Tower
Baten Kaitos Origins: Boundary Between the Wind and Earth
Custom Robo(GC): Stroll Around the Town
God Eater: Under the Sun
Grandia 2: Have Faith in Yourself
Legaia II-Duel Saga: Advancing to Far Away Places
Live a Live: Wings That Don't Reach
Lufia 2-Rise of the Sinistrals: The Earth
Pokemon Black/White: Route 10
SaGa 3/Final Fantasy Legend 3: Setting off into the future
Shadow Hearts Covenant: Old Smudged Map
Wild ARMs 4(th Detonator): Over the Wind
Xenosaga I had some great music guys

Ar Tonelico II: The Second Tower
Ooh, nice flute action here!  Definitely good!  This track exhibits most of the lush, adventurous quality of all of the best JRPG music.  Lots of layers, great melody, pseudo-old-world instrumentation... this is the complete package, really. Even if it doesn't quite reach the highest heights of VGM, it gets darn close.
Also, does this game feature lesbians?  That's some freakin' suggestive artwork...  >__>

Baten Kaitos Origins: Boundary Between the Wind and Earth
Sometimes I think Baten Kaitos might be more famous for its music than any other part of the game.  When I listen to this track, I think that that is the way it should be.  Few VGM tracks really get the "less is more" thing right, since so often less is... well, less.  But here, it's done superbly.  The progression is especially good and seems to be telling the beginning of a story, just before it loops back to the start.  Well done.

Custom Robo(GC): Stroll Around the Town
I wasn't really expecting something this solid from Custom Robo, but this is good AND it totally fits its name.  I can easily imagine myself strolling around Tokyo in a montage set to this.  It's simple, but both distinct and evocative.

God Eater: Under the Sun
Hmmm...  I was going to say, at the start, that you can't really go wrong with a violin-driven melody, but I think this one really skirts the line between Going Right and Going Wrong.  I really like some of the more subtle touches (the digital theremin-sounding noise thrown in from time to time, for example) but a lot of the song just... feels dissonant, like it's trying to be two different songs at the same time.
Still, a very nice piece and the melody is on point, it just felt a little disjointed between the melody and the rhythm, imo.

Grandia 2: Have Faith in Yourself
I picture anime aerobics.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  I dig the bouncy bass line.

Legaia II-Duel Saga: Advancing to Far Away Places
Felt like the first 30 seconds were a little weak, but then the piano kicked in and the whole track really blossomed into something special.

Live a Live: Wings That Don't Reach
0____0
Loud.
This one isn't grabbing me (besides the volume, I mean).  It's good.  Solid.  But doesn't stand out to me.  Does some interesting things at the 1:00 mark, though, for a short while.

Lufia 2-Rise of the Sinistrals: The Earth
Before I clicked this, I thought "I remember Lufia 2 having a great soundtrack".  After I clicked, it only took a few seconds for me to realize I remembered correctly.  Lufia is one of those weird franchises that I know only by its music, having never played it myself.  And, in general, I don't see a lot of chatter about it either.  But this music, though... man...

Pokemon Black/White: Route 10
Oddly, I have never played a Pokemon game, either.  However, unlike Lufia, I also haven't heard any particularly good (or bad) music from the series either.  This track is not nearly as bland as other Pokemon music I remember, and in fact even has very positive shades of Dark Cloud 2 and some other games.  I like the almost-European feel of some of its instrumentation.

SaGa 3/Final Fantasy Legend 3: Setting off into the future
Honestly not a huge fan of chiptune or 8-bit music, although I have heard some I have enjoyed.  This is not one of those.

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Old Smudged Map
Best dang Shadow Hearts track I have ever heard.  That guitar-driven melody is otherworldly.  I am completely transported by this piece.  Even the name evokes mystique and emotion.  Did Mitsuda compose this one?  I know he was one of the composers for this game and this track has his fingerprints all over it.

Wild ARMs 4(th Detonator): Over the Wind
HYAA!  I wanna ride a freakin horse!  WA music always does this to me, and this track is right up there with the best WA pieces.  Such a solid theme in this music.

Xenosaga I had some great music guys
lulz
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Reta

• View Profile
OCT/22: Favorite VGM Songs (Dungeons)
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »
Dice has generously given me permission to continue where she left off, so without further ado, I'll start us off with some dungeon themes! I'm including final dungeon themes in this category as well but I'll list them separately from the rest.

Standard dungeon themes:

Ruins - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Brandish: The Dark Revenant)
Karn's Cave - Tsukasa Masuko (Dungeon Explorer II)
Limestone Quarry - Hitoshi Sakimoto (Vagrant Story)
Steel Floor Blocking the Way - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Trails in the Sky/Trails in the Sky Evolution)
Jade Corridor - Ryo Takeshita (Sora no Kiseki the 3rd)
Labyrinth of Light and Shadow - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Sora no Kiseki the 3rd)
Sky Islands Ambient - Harry Mack (Spiral Knights)
Tricktrack Part 2 - Hideaki Kobayashi (Phantasy Star Online Episode II)
Into the Crystal Cave - Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy III)
Land of the Way - Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey)
Forbidden Forest - Yuzo Koshiro (Etrian Odyssey II/Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold)
House of Cards - Motoi Sakuraba (Baten Kaitos)
Find Your Way - Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy VIII)
Jupiter Lighthouse - Motoi Sakuraba (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
Ice Lake - Kenji Ito (Romancing Saga 3)
Traces of D - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ao no Kiseki/Ao no Kiseki Evolution)
Dark City - Yuzo Koshiro (The Scheme)
Burning Blood - Nobuo Uematsu (SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu)
To Become the Foundation of an Era - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Trails of Cold Steel)
Ancient Groover - SoundTeMP (Ragnarok Online)
Ancient Dragon's Stronghold - Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Cross)
Jungle Navigation - Yuzo Koshiro (7th Dragon)
Steeling the Will to Fight - Mieko Ishikawa (Ys III: Wanderers from Ys/Ys: The Oath in Felghana)
Overwater Drive - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim)
Water Prison - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys Origin)
Palace - Yuzo Koshiro (Ys I Chronicles)
Palace of Destruction - Yuzo Koshiro (Ys I Chronicles)
Cherry Tree Bridge - Yuzo Koshiro (Etrian Odyssey II/Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold/Etrian Mystery Dungeon)
The Green Green Woodlands - Yuzo Koshiro (Etrian Odyssey/Etrian Odyssey Untold)
Ruined Sparkling City - Yoko Shimomura (Legend of Mana)
Competing with the Honor of the Land - Go Shiina (Tales of Zestiria)
Tundaria Tower - Motoi Sakuraba (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
Mission to Deep Space - Motoi Sakuraba (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Zemeth Sanctum - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim)
Morlia Gallery - Motoi Sakuraba (Tales of Phantasia)
Another Medium - Toby Fox (Undertale)
Omen - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ao no Kiseki Evolution)
Perpetual Dark! - Yuzo Koshiro (The Scheme)
Sight of Silence - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Gurumin)
Quake - Hiroki Kikuta (Soukaigi)
Passing Through the Forest - Junya Nakano (Threads of Fate aka Dewprism)
Azure Asunder - Michiko Naruke/Junpei Fujita (Drakerider: Chains Transcendent)
Dungeon in the Desert - Masashi Hamauzu (The Legend of Legacy)
Short Circuit - Go Shiina (Tales of Legendia)
Isolated Island Consigned to Oblivion - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Ys Seven)
Herograve - Yasunori Mitsuda (Lime Odyssey)
Illusion of Sand - Yasunori Mitsuda (Sands of Destruction)
Poison - Harry Mack (Spiral Knights)
The Remains of Faith - Noriyasu Agematsu (Chaos Rings II)
Dungeon Front Battle 2 - Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms 2)
Cave - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Brandish: The Dark Revenant)
A Light in the Storm - Masayoshi Soken (Final Fantasy XIV)

Final dungeon themes:

Shrine of Solomon - Hideya Nagata (Ys II Chronicles)
A Light Illuminating the Depths - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Zero no Kiseki/Zero no Kiseki Super Arrange*/Zero no Kiseki Evolution)
Doom Castle - Ryuji Sasai (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)
Venus Lighthouse - Motoi Sakuraba (Golden Sun)
Dreaming - Yuzo Koshiro (Ys I Chronicles)
Fortress - Falcom Sound Team jdk (Brandish: The Dark Revenant)
City of Radiant Ruin - Yuzo Koshiro (Etrian Odyssey IV)
Crimson Pride - Motoi Sakuraba (Tales of the Abyss)
Bloody Battle - Hitoshi Sakimoto (Muramasa: The Demon Blade)
City of Solitude - Masashi Hamauzu (The Legend of Legacy)
The Tower Marked with History - Yoko Shimomura (Last Ranker)

*used in Ao no Kiseki

Next time: standard boss themes!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:36:51 PM by Reta »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: OCT/22: Favorite VGM Songs (Dungeons)
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
Great choices. Actually makes it kind of hard to add to such an extensive list.

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
Good choices, same as klutz though, I don't feel like I can really add anything at this point.
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:58:57 AM by Chronix112 »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
There's no freakin' way I can write about all of those....

...but I'll try anyways, I suppose.

Not even sure what this game is, but this music is really quite impressive.  Superlative instrumentation and fideltiy.  Something seriously off about that girl's left boob, though, in the artwork.  Does it look completely deformed to anyone else, or am I just not seeing it right?

Karn's Cave - Tsukasa Masuko (Dungeon Explorer II)
For some reason, this make me want to play... Ninja Turtles or Battletoads or something.  It's ok, but... eh.  I think it succeeds at what it's going for, I'm just not a fan of the style.

Limestone Quarry - Hitoshi Sakimoto (Vagrant Story)
Sakimoto can do no wrong, and it's nice to hear some Vagrant Story.  Haven't listened to anything from this game in.... a VERY long time.  That being said, this track is solid, but unspectacular.

...more to come.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:07:51 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: OCT/22: Favorite VGM Songs (Dungeons Pg 5)
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 05:57:45 PM »
You guys have picked out some of the best already! Nice picks. Here's a few of mine:

Tales of Zestiria - Melody of Water is the Guide in Spiritual Mist, Flaming Bonds are Being Tested, Fight Between the Wind and the Blinking Sky (All four of the temple themes are stunning. The Earth temple was already chosen so I stuck the other three in because I cannot get enough of them)

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - Huge Game Table

Skies of Arcadia - Dungeon Cave

Secret of Mana - Ceremony

Final Fantasy IV - Into the Darkness

Final Fantasy X - Someday the Dream Will End (arguably not a dungeon but there's not really any dungeons in FFX apart from the temples...and that music gives me nightmares.)

Ni No Kuni - The Golden Grove

Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - Imperial Dynamics, Glittering Violet Moon

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
New Continent, yes, Giant's Dungeon, yes, Into the Darkness, yes.

Let's see what's left...

No dungeon music list is complete without Diablo - Caves.  The game's difficulty jumps around this point, and that is matched by the more aggressive music (especially once the guitar starts).

FF6 - Magitek Research Facility.  When I first played FF6 as a kid, I used to stop and just listen to this.

FF6 - Epitaph.  This is the music that plays when Setzer is reminiscing about Daryl.  Not exactly a dungeon theme, but I'm not sure what other category to put it in.

FF5 - Cursed Lands.

Persona Q - Looming Danger Fast paced and energetic, yet melancholy, and with a distinctly Japanese flavor.  There's a lot of good stuff in the PQ soundtrack.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment - Undersea Ruins  This starts out dull and creepy, but it gradually builds in momentum, becoming more rhythmic, more percussive, and then, around 1:30...

FF12 - The Stilshrine of Miriam.  It's obligatory for me to include a track from FF12.

Mystic Quest - Lava Dome.  This thread needs more MQ.

Persona 4 - Striptease.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  It's a pretty catchy theme, and you almost never hear dance music in a dungeon.  (Unless someone wants to recommend some tracks from Crypt of the Necrodancer?  I haven't played it, so I'm disqualified from selecting anything.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:16:05 PM by ironmage »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
Okay, so here are some favorites of mine:

Eternal Sonata - Seize the Artefact for Tallness: I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, and within context there's far more urgency than is necessary for the dungeon at hand, but it's just dripping with bombastic Sakuraba goodness.

Final Fantasy - Mount Gulg: I know someone already posted the FFIX version, but I actually prefer the original in this case.

Final Fantasy III (Remake) - Dark Crystal: The OST had a lot of underrated tracks, and really the only thing holding this back from being my favorite final dungeon theme is the length.

Final Fantasy XIII - Sunleth Waterscape: "Raaaaiiiinns of a neeewww daaaayyy...."

Legend of Mana - Holy Power of Mana: I mean... c'mon.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight - Gone With the Dust: Most of this soundtrack is merely inoffensive, but the tracks that are good are really good. This is one of those.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »
Hmm.  Anyone wanna work together on creating a YouTube playlist of "our favourites" here?  Might be a fun thing to share and just put on in the background while we work or whatever. :)

Thanks for taking over Reta.  I'm sorry it means I bumped you from the front by merging, if you want I'll lay off the next 'update' so you have sole ownership of your own thread (worst case, I'd be more than happy to work with you as co-owners, but not a big deal if not).

Okay, so here are some favorites of mine:

Eternal Sonata - Seize the Artefact for Tallness: I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, and within context there's far more urgency than is necessary for the dungeon at hand, but it's just dripping with bombastic Sakuraba goodness.

Final Fantasy - Mount Gulg: I know someone already posted the FFIX version, but I actually prefer the original in this case.

Final Fantasy III (Remake) - Dark Crystal: The OST had a lot of underrated tracks, and really the only thing holding this back from being my favorite final dungeon theme is the length.

Final Fantasy XIII - Sunleth Waterscape: "Raaaaiiiinns of a neeewww daaaayyy...."

The Witch and the Hundred Knight - Gone With the Dust: Most of this soundtrack is merely inoffensive, but the tracks that are good are really good. This is one of those.

I almost edited out the Witch and Hundred Knight because I'm so sick of Tenpei Sato's "sound" after grinding to fuck in NIS games... but I was definitely plesantly surprised with that one.  Very charming. :)

I'd agree with Mt Gulug being better on NES, but since "the accident" 8bit just hurts my ears. :(
I thought the Chocobo Racing version was a lot of fun: https://youtu.be/uOgJk4l82uE
I hate Sunelth Waterscape because the cheeseball lyrics just kill me even though it's a pretty sounding tune.  I offer up Dust to Dust as recompense!

You guys have picked out some of the best already! Nice picks. Here's a few of mine:

Tales of Zestiria - Melody of Water is the Guide in Spiritual Mist, Flaming Bonds are Being Tested, Fight Between the Wind and the Blinking Sky (All four of the temple themes are stunning. The Earth temple was already chosen so I stuck the other three in because I cannot get enough of them)

Skies of Arcadia - Dungeon Cave

divingfalcons: I've only done Zestiria's fire temple, but hoooolyyy, the difference and music just kinda 'EXPLODED' sound unlike any other in the game.  It was gorgeous.  I hate saying that as a Sakuraba fangirl, but goddamn, when Go Shiina goes for broke, he kills it with the Tales series.  10 years later we finally get him back to compose.

The Skies of Arcadia dungeon is so pretty and mysterious...and very simple haha, maybe that's why I dig it.

FF6 - Magitek Research Facility.  When I first played FF6 as a kid, I used to stop and just listen to this.

FF6 - Epitaph.  This is the music that plays when Setzer is reminiscing about Daryl.  Not exactly a dungeon theme, but I'm not sure what other category to put it in.

Mystic Quest - Lava Dome.  This thread needs more MQ.

Persona 4 - Striptease.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  It's a pretty catchy theme, and you almost never hear dance music in a dungeon.  (Unless someone wants to recommend some tracks from Crypt of the Necrodancer?  I haven't played it, so I'm disqualified from selecting anything.)

When you're young and "don't really get music", I still remember the first traces of 'getting it' when Magitek Factory came on.  It was a great tune, it stuck in your head, it was really different from other songs on the soundtrack.  Great choice, and great use of sound effects (technically) to join in the melody.

I like the Striptease tune too (P4).  Fun sounds and I like the oontz oontz.

FFMQ's dungeon songs annoy me because of my brother.  Long story, not worth sharing. x)

For your FF6 dungeons, I like almost all of them, truth be told.
FF6 Mystic Forest: https://youtu.be/eIu5pQ5VSLc A song I appreciated more as I got older for its truly haunting sound...
FF6 Mt Koltz https://youtu.be/CrfByoCqHtw I love that weird...distortion sound... dun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun.... I think what makes this song better is when you hear it in the World of Ruin. It's an uplifting song so any trace of that same optimism from the World of Balance is sweet to the ears.
FF6 Phantom Train: https://youtu.be/pse4gcBprLk What a cool song. Relaxed until it sounds like you realize you're boarding a train to the underworld.  I'm describing it exactly as the context in game, but the notes work so well...

Chronix nailed the Floating Continent.  Again an oddly upbeat dungeon theme (despite the context).  Cool tech-y sound too, appropriate for FF6 in some ways.

Dice has generously given me permission to continue where she left off, so without further ado, I'll start us off with some dungeon themes! I'm including final dungeon themes in this category as well but I'll list them separately from the rest.

DICE: (I HAD TO EDIT OUT TEXT BECAUSE MY POST EXCEEDED 20k CHARACTERS QUOTING Y'ALL xD)

*used in Ao no Kiseki

Next time: standard boss themes!

I picked a "successor" well it seems. :P  Thanks Reta. :)
FF8's FInd Your Way is a fav of mine, but a lot of these I'm happy to say are new to me and sounds brilliant. :D

Star Ocean 2 goes between awesome dungeon themes and shit ones. Here's the good:
Rescue Operation. This one just gets me pumped!
Pyroxene.  This song just sounds 'important'. Real cool.

Breath of Fire V. A few can go here, really.  I think it's great Sakimoto took his signature style into a new (non-medieval) world:
Power Supply Building This is a long song, but the build up (starting about a 1.5m in) can't be denied.  It's one of the last dungeons so it's sound is both serious and confident.

Final Fantasy X
Underwater Ruins. I really like the ambience and build-up.  The first hour of FFX is very mysterious, and I like how this song works with that.

Final Fantasy IX
Palace of Memory. For a final dungeon it's very peaceful and mysterious.  It's pleasant still and I really enjoyed this in the back.
Ipsen's Castle. I really like FF9's main theme so attempts at bringing the theme into the context of a dungeon sound great too.  I definitely like the medieval angle in this and the chanting too.

Legend of Mana
City of Flickering Destruction. I like this song because I have a human soul goddamit.  If this song doesn't make you tug at your chest, you're a demon.
Earth Painting. I can't have been the only one caught off guard when the (maybe) first dungeon came up on the map and unveiled this surprisingly catchy melody.

Wild Arms
(WA1) Courage. I think WA's OST needs a lot of respect for the especially high quality of sound it had.  It didn't sound like a cheap synthesizer, it sounds so authentic.  Courage takes from the famous Opening, so what's not to love about a dungeon version?
Chronix nailed the dungeon for the 'big bad' hideout.  Love it.
(WA3) Fate Breaker. That trumpet blows (hah) you away.  Perfect use for an "important" dungeon too.

Tales of Symphonia
Search the Seal (Tethe'Alla).  This is a song that's good especially compared to the more chipper Sylvarant version.  It's such a moody piece, the low notes on the piano, the drum, etc.  I like it.  It is a bit of a shame that one song took over all "elemental themes" (unlike most games, even most Tales games, opting for unique/suitable melodies for each dungeon), but I still think it works.
Dry Trail. I really thought the "Symphonian choir" was charming, but I do think it just has a solid melody.

Tales of Legendia
The Bird Chirps, I Sing].  Certainly the making of this game's OST was [url=https://youtu.be/Kjd-rojURDM?t=1665]no small task (requiring Go Shiina, an orchestra, and numerous singers both Japanese and not), and it shows.  The Bird Chirps is the first major song you come across and it's unique in every way.
Ancient Ship.  I'm picking it because of the brilliant mix of orchestra, electric geetar, and it's just very intense.

Final Fantasy VII
Forested Temple. This song is fun and easy to whistle (because I have when I'm bored at work).  I think it's charming and mysterious and works very well for the curious Temple of the Ancients and its many weird secrets.  I like that one part sounds like a clock ticking by (of course being perfectly suited to one of its puzzles).

Dark Cloud 2
Zelmite Mine. I like this song. It's the 'bonus dungeon' but carries a tune that almost sounds troublesome and concerning... perfect for a dark creepy mine?

Atelier Ayesha
Rain in the Dried Up Valley.  This is a song that just gets better as it goes on.  A wonderfully down to earth tune and great use of pan flutes. o_O

Trails in the Sky
Hollow Light of the Sealed Land.  Wow!  What a final dungeon tune.  It wonderfully combines the game's main theme into an epic tune befitting of a final dungeon.

Final Fantasy IV
Mountain. Not sure if it's because this song is BOILED into my brain.  I think I heard it loop thousands of times.... FFIV is no easy game, so you'd probably spend time grinding the hard bits...at least the music was nice.

Eternal Sonata
Underground for Underhand. There's an oddly interesting sense of 'adventure' in this melody...for a sewer dungeon anyhow.  Gorgeous!
A Wall with No Back.  Amazing track, I love the deep brass sound and the two bells that sound off at the start.  That 32 second mark when the strings kick in make me so happy!
Continuous Divider. I think this song is almost perfect.  It's so strange and pleasant, hardly what you'd think of with a dungeon tune, it sounds far more 'precious' in some ways.

That's all for now!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »
Oh, we're doing dungeon themes now?  In that case, "Darkness of the Mine" from Brave Fencer Musashi comes to mind.  Tsuyoshi Sekito is a fantastic composer and one of the more underutilized composers in Squaresoft's arsenal back then, and BFM had incredible music.  I would have LOVED to hear him do a Final Fantasy soundtrack.  I just love that chord progression about 38 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELbULj1mENc

And I thought Shinji Hosoe's compositions for Xenosaga II were highly underrated.  This particular piece ("Ormus Stronghold") was fantastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGsyXUaIz9o
I also like this other Ormus Stronghold piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwl6F1WkM9A
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
I can honestly say that this is the only song I've heard that uses static to create a beat.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »
Not even sure what this game is, but this music is really quite impressive.  Superlative instrumentation and fideltiy.  Something seriously off about that girl's left boob, though, in the artwork.  Does it look completely deformed to anyone else, or am I just not seeing it right?

That there is a remake of the original Brandish, available on PSP (with Vita compatibility). And you should buy it. It's a dungeon crawler and it has lots of Falcom charm ... including that fine fine music.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »
CHARACTER THEME!!
It's been too long, old friend.

Once again, and in part due to how specific this topic is, go beyond RPGs if you need to.

Chrono Trigger - Robo's Theme
R66Y's theme is so good.  It's a shitty looking future, but he's optimistic and this tune keeps me happy every time I hear it.  One of my favorite party members to boot.  I think just about ANY CT character theme can get an honourable mention here...
...except Marle.

Unlimited Saga - Vent's Theme
I heard this song once during a bad time and it perked me up.  It's super simple, but not everything needs a big orchestra and a hip beat.  This song felt quiet, a little sad, but also relaxing.

Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd's Theme
I find the ongoing harpsichord way too rich for Lloyd's character, but the song is super sweet sounding... and I think it works for the 'idealist' the character is.

Final Fantasy VI - All of 'em. Here's the Distant World's Medley
I leave it to someone more calculated and picky than me to pick their favourite themes and say why.  I'm just gonna say they all completely rock...classically-speaking.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
Re: MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
Okay, gonna edit in some other choices soon, but first I have to say:

Shame on you, Dice!

SHAME ON YOU!!