Author Topic: MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
Re: AUG/21: Favourite VGM Song (Normal Battle Theme!! Pg1)
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 01:25:49 AM »
  Saga Frontier - Battle 01
SaGa Frontier II - Feldschlacht I
Final Fantasy VII -those who fight further
Lunar the Silver Star sega cd
Wild Arms Critical Hit
Shadow Hearts - Battle in Europe 「NDE / Near Death Experience」
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Music- Normal Battle

Digital Devil Saga 2 - Battle for Survival
https://youtu.be/m9LnM9j_WwA
Oh mein GOTT  Won't lie, I bought the game after I heard this (well, that and the hub-bub about the first game).  I saw a battle play out to this tune and decided to take a chance on it.  I love it.  A beautiful mix of techno synth and electric guitar, a catchy melody that never seemed to wear out.
Probably my favorite normal battle theme, and as dorky as this sounds it was the 1st song I learned to play by ear on the electric guitar.

Xenoblade any battle theme by Ace+ is gravy as well

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 01:49:53 AM »
Fuck my face.  HOW DO I FORGET THE SHADOW HEARTS GAMES AND SAGA FRONTIER II ----DAMMIT.
I knew this would happen... Sigh.  Ah well, topics like this wouldn't be as fun unless. :)
Thanks Chronix!

NDE is especially surprising, it's not too strong a or 'heavy' a battle theme; it doesn't have "rocking" or "epic" sound (Bravely Default starts with a trumpet blasting, or Xenoblade's 'Mechanical Rhythm' starts with that epic guitar riff), it's somewhat soft, but I think it gets a great set of instruments together and the ongoing chorus work makes the theme feel surprisingly tense and 'deep' without the need for "grand instrumentation" and a sweeping melody.  (I hope that makes SOME sense). :S

I've played SaGa Frontier II's "Feldschlacht" for a few people, and quite a few get very surprised at the sort of "videogame-y" build up at the beginning that leads to a surprisingly pleasant flute taking over the first stretch of the song.  The variations of the tune only provide further mileage to a great melody.

Wild Arm's "Critical Hit" deserves a special place too.  Not only was the Wild Arms 1 OST extremely lovely (and surprisingly 'crisp' and 'clear' while many other PSX games relying more on synthesized sounds), but it was the first PSX game I ever saw being played.  I think my mouth hit the ground when I saw the opening video.
In addition to that, I feel like Japanese composers mastered the use of the 'orchestra hit'. :P

I wanted to say FF7 as well, but it's that one. loud. trumpet. that kills me on repeat listens (45 sec mark).  It's otherwise really good and dear lord is it nostalgic for me at this point.  Actually of all the PSX era FF games I think FF8 wins for me.

Probably my favorite normal battle theme, and as dorky as this sounds it was the 1st song I learned to play by ear on the electric guitar.

Not dorky at all! (um, minus the last part).  I think it's a great way to learn.  
I actually learned how to play Troian Beauty on the accordion way back when.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:02:40 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »
Ahh, the normal battle theme.  I emphasize its importance ad-nauseum in my soundtrack reviews.  With RPGs being harbored by combat and at least 75% of your time spent in battle, the normal battle theme has to be good.  And I always appreciate when RPGs have multiple battle themes- like how the Grandia games have a different battle theme if the enemy gets the jump on you. 

I spent somewhere around 92 hours on Phantasy Star II and it was one of those games where random battles occurred every 3 steps.  I never got tired of its battle theme.

Phantasy Star II "Rise or Fall" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rf9YlH5K4
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »
Aim for the Top (Tales of Vesperia) - I thought this battle theme was perfect for any final dungeon. It maintains that "Not exactly a threat" tone that all good normal battle themes have while still having a sense of urgency.

Spooks of Halloween Town (Kingdom Hearts) - Absolutely my favorite normal battle theme from the series, it fits in well with Elfman's original sound and is just an all around good piece of music.

Stab the Sword of Justice (Star Ocean 2) - Not sure if I like the original version more or the Heroic Mix from Star Ocean 4, but both are excellent at making me want to clash swords and sorcery with anything and everything.

Reach Out to the Truth (Persona 4) - First time this plays is magical! I think how well it works in both the turn-based affairs in the game and the action scenes in the anime is a testament to it's quality as a battle theme.

Don't Be Afraid (Final Fantasy 8) - This is one of those normal battle themes where the in-game battles are so lousy that it takes listening to it out of context to realize how genius it is.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:44:40 AM by Klutz64 »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Battle Theme - Final Fantasy VI - this is the one that started it all, for me, as a young man of 11 years.  This theme STILL makes me want to battle when I hear it.

Decisive Battle - Final Fantasy Tactics - Oh man.  The memories.
Tactics actually has a LOT of battle themes and I'm really not sure which one constitutes its "normal" one.  But this one and Trisection seem to be the ones I most associate with Tactics battles.
....aw heck, let me go ahead and mention Unavoidable Battle too, since it's my sentimental favorite (those synth horns at the crescendo.... gahhhh).  Also, Antipyretic seems to be the most popular (and the most iconic of the series).

And, of course: Blinded By Light - Final Fantasy XIII.  It never gets old.

Final Fantasy VII -those who fight further
If there's any objectivity to be had, I would say that this is probably the best normal battle theme we're going to get in this thread.  It's perfect.  I don't say that about things too often.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
Reach Out to the Truth (Persona 4) - First time this plays is magical! I think how well it works in both the turn-based affairs in the game and the action scenes in the anime is a testament to it's quality as a battle theme.

Excellent choice.  I cannot get enough of that song.  

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:05:24 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
Dagnabbit, all the FFT themes have already been taken.  And DDS2, too.

Alrighty then:
Shadow Hearts: Battle in China 'Brain Hopper'.  It manages to combine tension with mournful vocals, and still have a sense of underlying evil.  Also, dat bass.

I've always been partial to FF8's secondary battle theme, Man with the Machine Gun, but then again, I grew up in the '80s, and I still think that Synthesizers are Cool.

Persona 3 - Master of Destruction is kind of an interesting one.  The first time I heard it, I loved it; but eventually I began to tire of it.  Yet, as the game progressed even further, the sound was burned into my soul, and I came to like it again.

And here's some random Valkyria Chronicles, because Sakimoto.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
Dagnabbit, all the FFT themes have already been taken. 
Sorry. :(

And here's some random Valkyria Chronicles, because Sakimoto.
Yes!  Get this person a trophy!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
I've always been partial to FF8's secondary battle theme, Man with the Machine Gun, but then again, I grew up in the '80s, and I still think that Synthesizers are Cool.

I forgot about this track - I love how it so at once 100% FF8 but also 100% everything FF8 is not.
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 04:34:14 PM »
Great picks everyone. I've definitely got a few to add for battle themes. (I'm sad I missed the title music part though. Too busy getting used to things ahah)

FIGHT!! Ver. 1 - Grandia II Definitely my favourite battle theme of all time. Nothing else gets me as pumped as this. The guitars are awesome, the pace is awesome, it's just utterly awesome

The Gun Barrel of Battle - Lost Odyssey So majestic, empowering, and epic. There's a sense of urgency and a sense of purpose. It's stunning.

Battle 1 - FFIV I'm a huge fan of IV's battle themes. The normal battle theme is my least favourite of all of them but it's still damn good. I seem to have a thing for fast paced battle music

Mechanical Rhythm - Xenoblade Chronicles I sawStephanie mention this, but I'm not sure if it counts as a normal battle theme, but it IS the regular battle theme on the Mechonis...so...I'm going to put it here. Two words: Heavy. Guitars.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »
Great picks everyone. I've definitely got a few to add for battle themes. (I'm sad I missed the title music part though. Too busy getting used to things ahah)

FIGHT!! Ver. 1 - Grandia II Definitely my favourite battle theme of all time. Nothing else gets me as pumped as this. The guitars are awesome, the pace is awesome, it's just utterly awesome

Great pick.  All of Grandia II's battle and boss themes were fantastic.  

EDIT: And my personal favorite battle theme from the entirety of the Tales series is "Bared Fangs" from Tales of Destiny.  Battles were frequent in that game, and every time the screen spun out playing that music, I bobbed my head like crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jVZz9id9U

And since I've been talking about FFX-2 a lot in other threads lately, I present its battle theme.  I absolutely love it and whenever I think about it, it gets stuck in my head.  The beat is so funky and off-timey; easily one of the most unique battle themes in the series.  I love that ascending note progression 23 seconds in.  That's the money riff right there.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fErjzgGRrDA

Another personal favorite is "Death Dance" from Xenogears.  My favorite is the part from :28- 1:00.  That gets me emotionally charged up every time.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCvG74VDOKU
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:15:57 PM by Dincrest »

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »
Lots of great ones were hit. I wanted to throw this one in the mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcSBYw_ycms -- LIVEALIVE "Psycho Killing"

Each of the seven characters in LAL have a standard battle theme. The cyberpunk era had some of the best music IMO. I like this song.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 11:03:52 PM »

The Gun Barrel of Battle - Lost Odyssey So majestic, empowering, and epic. There's a sense of urgency and a sense of purpose. It's stunning.

Battle 1 - FFIV I'm a huge fan of IV's battle themes. The normal battle theme is my least favourite of all of them but it's still damn good. I seem to have a thing for fast paced battle music

Mechanical Rhythm - Xenoblade Chronicles I sawStephanie mention this, but I'm not sure if it counts as a normal battle theme, but it IS the regular battle theme on the Mechonis...so...I'm going to put it here. Two words: Heavy. Guitars.

I think I love Grandia II's battle theme because it sounds like it's out of some kinda-campy 90's anime... which, I guess it kinda was, at heart, when it wasn't being a JRPG.

I like FFIV's theme, but that whole OST gives me warm fuzzy feelings because I grew up on that. 
A special shoutout has to go to the Final Fantasy V battle theme which, unless you were into running SNES games on your computer you likely didn't hear because of the games Japan-only status.  And it's strange but it's always felt like "the other FF" for the reason to me -- and I love that. :P

Lost Odyssey did well too, it's sweeping arrangement feels incredibly classic (like it's out of a movie, which kinda works for the dramatic elements of LO) but still a nice standalone.

EDIT: And my personal favorite battle theme from the entirety of the Tales series is "Bared Fangs" from Tales of Destiny.  Battles were frequent in that game, and every time the screen spun out playing that music, I bobbed my head like crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jVZz9id9U

And since I've been talking about FFX-2 a lot in other threads lately, I present its battle theme.  I absolutely love it and whenever I think about it, it gets stuck in my head.  The beat is so funky and off-timey; easily one of the most unique battle themes in the series.  I love that ascending note progression 23 seconds in.  That's the money riff right there.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fErjzgGRrDA

Another personal favorite is "Death Dance" from Xenogears.  My favorite is the part from :28- 1:00.  That gets me emotionally charged up every time.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCvG74VDOKU

ToD is part of that set of games that I was exposed to early on in the PSX era, which, back then, basically looked like SNES games on crack.  So I love the ToD battle theme, it felt "fresh and clean", which, speaking ToD looked like a nicer ToP, worked perfectly.  I gotta give ToD credit especially for another category I'll be using in the future though. ;)

And yeah the FFX-2 battle theme is *amazing* for the strangest reasons.  It's totally funky, off-beat, and it totally works with the strange pace of battle and the sort of 'shift in gears' that X-2 works on.
Dagnabbit, all the FFT themes have already been taken.  And DDS2, too.

Alrighty then:
Shadow Hearts: Battle in China 'Brain Hopper'.  It manages to combine tension with mournful vocals, and still have a sense of underlying evil.  Also, dat bass.

https://youtu.be/-p_SFBS-UCc SH2 EU
https://youtu.be/seFe8nxig70
Shadow Hearts II gets its own bragging rights too, but have a great emphasis on unique rhythm and beat over the usual sweeping melody.  Totally works for the combo-based fighting system the game has.

Lots of great ones were hit. I wanted to throw this one in the mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcSBYw_ycms -- LIVEALIVE "Psycho Killing"

Each of the seven characters in LAL have a standard battle theme. The cyberpunk era had some of the best music IMO. I like this song.

This was a weird game but definitely loved the music.  A little off-topic (for now) but I always loved Megalomania myself (especially on an emulator where the built-in 2x-fast forward feature made it that much faster/hardcore).

Okay I keep quoting and I'm getting confused, but a big YES to SO2 and Persona 4 and Man with the Machine Fun

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
DANG, I forgot to post FFV's battle theme.  DAT BASS

Good choice, Dice.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY TO TALES OF LEGENDIA.

In honour of it, I think it'd be a shame not to include the truly wonderful and orchestrated main battle track this one had:
Battle Artist]https://youtu.be/rM3Kf4L7gnY]Battle Artist

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!