Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:36:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319718 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Great Console War 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The Great Console War 3  (Read 11609 times)
Mikkaddo

GeneralMalak@hotmail.com Mikkaddo2037 blazyr2003
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

That's right. It says 3 . . . this is the 3rd generation of waring consoles that claim to be truly inovative. Ever since the dawn of the 3d graphics . . . there has been an invisible war over supremacy.

Now then, this war has waged since the very idea came out of some ingenius mind. However . . . the fatalities due to it's fighting has ranked very very high. I have personally seen kids beaten by others over their adoration or respect for one system over another. Or worse yet, one game over another . . .

Now, let us get down to the nitty gritty.

The war has come to it's most fantastically redundant state ever . . . comapnies are so preocupied with using the newest and "best" software and idea that they have passed up the idea of what the consoles were supossed to do . . . aren't we supossed to buy these things for "entertainment"? isn't the point of buying "games" to have fun? instead we have a War going on . . . we're fighting with other gamers over who's system is better . . . and which company is the better man . . .

First off . . . the Wii is not a retarded spin off of VR, it's the smoothest running and most natural means of controlling a character in a game I've ever encountered personally. What's more, the graphical capability of it being SO much weaker than the other 2 has nothing to do with how good a system it is. If anyone has shown us it doesn't take gurth to kick a$$ it's Nintendo. Who waited the longest to go 3d? who waited the longest to go to CDs? and once they FINALLY did, who STILL didn't use the most powerful variety? and yet who still seems to have some of the largest full round followings? Nintendo . . . when a person hears the word video game, things like Mario, and Pokemon (the oldgames . . . not the card game >.>) just naturally spring to mind. These are the things we grew up with . . . they are our past, our present, and shall forever be our future.

Secondly, and most controversially, Microsoft is not an evil Umbrella corp. company looking to take over all of gaming to make us pay HUGE prices and then have to buy expansions . . . they are an evil computer corp. The 360 and the Xbox should not be blamed for this. The systems are worth your money, sure they don’t have the best selection of RPGs, but frankly it’s not about RPGs alone, which SquareEnix would have you believe (at least seems to) however, Microsoft has been quite controversial socially about their systems and their selling power, they are not out to ruin gaming.

Lastly, Sony has made many mistakes in it’s life. And frankly is a good bit arrogant and self absorbed over their “next gen” systems. The PSX is about where it ends with Sony. That was indeed their hay-day, but not for the reason you might think. Yes, Sony had the 3d, but so did Sega . . . long before Sony had any idea what they were doing with games. However, Sony kicked everyone elses asses, including the N 64, with the RPGs they put out on the PSX, the graphics aside, the PSX had a lot going for it, 1 name. Final Fantasy, this single name made Sony what it is today. Think back . . . what game is SO hyped, and SO followed and SO cult classiced by gamers, that there’s a wealth of games, accessories, spin offs, animes, and even movies about it? Final Fantasy VII. This game single handedly launched Sony’s carreer. Sony would have most likely faded into mediocrity behind Nintendo if not for getting Final Fantasy VII Sony would have fallen FAR behind. Just think . . . if Nintendo had won, not Sony.

Now then . . . the point I’ve been trying to make in all this is . . . there’s no reason for us to all be fighting over this, we should be working together to make the companies realize they need our input . . . not bickering between each other over who’s got the better system or controller. Let’s focus on who’s games we can enjoy the most . . . I mean, in the end . . . isn’t it really supossed to all be about the games not the company?

I mean personally, I’ve got a PS2, Xbox, 360, Game Cube, Gensis, Game gear, and DS. Yes . . . that’s a lot more money than limiting to 1. A LOT more *cries at his wallet’s grave* but frankly I don’t discriminate between systems, I hate Microsoft as a company plain and simple . . . but I love my Xbox, and my 360, cuz they both have good games, games I can ENJOY, games that make me sit back after I finish and go. “wow . . . now THAT was worth it” and if you ask me, that’s the whole point . . . we’re not out to embrace the companies, we’re out to enjoy the games right?

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »

OH MY GOD GET RID OF THE FUCKING COLOR IN YOUR POST.

When you do that, THEN I'll properly read it and reply. :P

Edit: Alright, you did. Well then...

First of all, just 3 generations? More like since the dawn of console competition - it's happened with the SNES/Genesis, the NES/SMS (though most people didn't know the latter even existed until it was long dead, or at least I didn't)... And I can't really comment on earlier, as I don't know if systems like Intellivision or the Atari 2600 directly conflicted or not. And if it's not console vs console, then it's whether consoles or PCs are superior... Though I typically only see people trumpting PCs over consoles, while console owners seem apathetic really.

Anyways, you seemed to have summed up the general popular opinion of the three console manufacturers. Personally, it'll be the games I want that dictate the level of support, but ideally I like to own every significant console. I think Sony's massively stupid in PR and some of their decisions (regional censorship, anal retentive about OKing some games), but isn't a genuinely horrible company like some people believe.

Nintendo's a company I usually like, but when they screw up it's really stupid and/or annoying; there's some things I wish the Wii had, and some I just find mind boggling, namely the inability to use GC controllers to browse the interface yet Classic Controllers work fine, requiring wasting a bit of Wii Remote battery life every time you want to play a GC title.

Microsoft... As far as handling their stuff, I generally consider them the best. They're not too anal about approval, and if there's some stupid problem with how their system software works it's either fixable, or is a REALLY minor issue. However, there's little japanese support, and as such my interest is usually just limited to games like Psychonauts and whatever big shooter they have coming out. Not to mention that they haven't innovated much in input, though they've done a great deal of good for online console gaming, and refined things like controls well enough.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »

I'm personally more invested in handheld gaming now. As a person who buys almost nothing but RPG's, the DS and GBA is where it's at for me. I'm kind of bummed that I've had my 360 for a year almost, and I have three games for it. Pffft... And only 2 of those are RPG's (Oblivion and Enchanted Arms). I need to get a Wii for Zelda,a nd I don't know what I'm going to do about a PS3. The price tag is ridiculous, and there isn't crap for games for it right now, but I'm sure in a year there'll be so many good RPG's coming out for it, I'll gladly plop down the 600 plus bucks for one. But yeah, since the 360 RPG outlook is nill except for the few Mistwalker games that have yet to be released, I've been playing the slew of GBA and DS RPG's, as well as the great new PS2 games coming out like Okami, FF XII, Bully and I'm eagerly looking forward to Rogue Galaxy. People are crazy saying the PS2 is dead. Someof the best PS2 games ever released have come out in the last 6 months, and some GREAT ones have yet to come out.
Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 09:41:26 PM »

well, what bothers me so much is people that refuse to even TOUCH one cuz it's sony. Or worse yet . . . "oh that's a Microsoft Xbox huh? well screw that . . . I refuse to play anything but nintendo consoles!" and the like >.> just pushign it aside cuz it's not their fave comapny. Buying nothing but DS and GBA games cuz of the RPGs being ones you love . . . that's different, I got like 3 games for my 360 right now too, Oblivion, Enchanted arms, Carbon, and Test Drive Unlimited. But the thing is . . . I enjoy them, oh and Gears of War *drools* but still . . . I'm very much a fan of the handhelds too my friend, the pokemon games will always have a huge place in my heart, no matter what people say >.>

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »

Anyways, you seemed to have summed up the general popular opinion of the three console manufacturers. Personally, it'll be the games I want that dictate the level of support, but ideally I like to own every significant console.[/qoute]

Exactly my friend . . . I summed up the popular theories, and then put what I thought about them. Though . . . personally I'm a blatant and incurable fanboy of Sega >.>;; Sega SHALL rise again! *puts on a military uniform with a gold ring on it, and holds up a flag with Sonic's face on it* and as far as the games other than RPGs go, I'm a fan of shooters, racers, and most of all . . . Survival Horror. which is pretty much a catch 22, cuz RE is more about the action than the fright. Where as Silent Hill, you gotta have the lights on >.>;;

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »

STOP WITH THE RED TEXT I WILL HEADBUTT YOU

None of the consoles look interesting to me right now. If anything I'll buy a PS3 when either a new Suikoden or a FFVII remake comes out on it. FFXIII looks sexy too, though.

Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 09:58:03 PM »

the thing is, none of them look that good at first . . . Kameo anyone? and as for the Xbox, it didn't have much at launch but Halo . . . and not much after either, except for the few . . . the proud . . . the . . . unknown *cries* and the PS2 took time to get anything truly worth while too. And as for the Gamecube . . . well . . . it's always been very underground as far as how good, and seems to take the longest to come out from behind, but it's so steady a company and system (including Wii) that they don't need to worry about launching into awesomeness

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »

Kameo is the third 360 game I have. I did, and still think it is a great looking game.

As for these fanboys... I've heard of them, but have honestly never come across them in my 25 year history as a gamer. Everyone I know that games doesn't limit themselves to one system or to one concole maker. We all usually get two of the three systems each generation. I honestly don't personally know anyone that just buys Sony, Micrisiot or Nintendo.
Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 10:15:12 PM »

I know multiple people who not only limit them sevles to one of 3, but also chastise (sp?) the others, and propagandize the one they do play, what's more . . . when I say I'm a blatant Sega fan boy, I don't say I think Sega's better and no one compares >.> I'm just in freaky gamerlove with Sega . . . I want to have Sega's freaky otaku gamer children >.>;; but fanboys are a big problem down here where I live >.< if I have to walk into a gamestore even just one more time and hear someone bashing sony, microsoft or nintendo because "they don't play subordinate systems" I'll snap >.>

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 01:46:53 AM »

First off . . . the Wii is not a retarded spin off of VR, it's the smoothest running and most natural means of controlling a character in a game I've ever encountered personally.
You mean because its almost like doing the action in real-life? Simulating a real-life action to perform an action in a virtual environment sounds a lot like virtual reality to me.

What's more, the graphical capability of it being SO much weaker than the other 2 has nothing to do with how good a system it is.
So does that mean they shouldn't try to make a better system in terms of technology as well as innovation?

Secondly, and most controversially, Microsoft is not an evil Umbrella corp. company looking to take over all of gaming to make us pay HUGE prices and then have to buy expansions . .
I think people just don't like change. And why should they? I've been happy with my PS1 and PS2. The only reason I would want a Nintendo console (excluding handhelds) is to play Zelda. The Xbox doesn't have the extensive library that the PS does, and until that happens and the PS library becomes crap I'll just stick with what works.

Lastly, Sony has made many mistakes in it’s life. And frankly is a good bit arrogant and self absorbed over their “next gen” systems.
So were the guys promoting the original Xbox. Anyways you're the one that said Nintendo's lack of technological innovation shouldn't factor into a person's choice of console so why should idiotic marketing? (btw, have you seen that red steel commercial?)

Final Fantasy, this single name made Sony what it is today. Think back . . . what game is SO hyped, and SO followed and SO cult classiced by gamers, that there’s a wealth of games, accessories, spin offs, animes, and even movies about it? Final Fantasy VII.
What about the games that made Nintendo? Mario and Zelda? Maybe even Metroid? If those games weren't exclusive to Nintendo I don't think they would exist today. Besides, lots of games are hyped. Hell, video games in general are hyped nowadays.

Also, as long as this is about the three consoles I want to send a message to Microsoft and Nintendo: your fucking d-pads suck ass.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 01:58:13 AM »

I'm not gonna get into this stupid argument save to say one thing:

The only good D-Pad belonged to the Saturn. Everything else gives me blisters when shoryukening.

Oh and obligatory: Sony sucks.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 02:20:52 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I'm not gonna get into this stupid argument

Then...
Oh and obligatory: Sony sucks.

Hypocrisy! Though seriously, the SNES and Classic D-Pads were/are both good from what I used of them. Then again, I haven't exactly tested out the classic pad for fighting games, and i don't feel like shelling out 8 bucks for Street Fighter II on the VC.

I'd comment on more, but the return of the dark red text blew up my eyeballs, and I have yet to try reading it again.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 02:30:49 AM »

I like this Bloodstar dude.....he comes from out of nowhere and not only speaks in actual sentences, but actually backs up his statements snidely.

<3

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 03:24:21 AM »

What, there's no love for the Dreamcast d-pads? Sure, they were prone to wear with much use, but those things were gold for fighters.

As for the whole console war thing, here are my 2 cents. The 360 has the best online setup even if they force you to pay for it. And it's got some good games - GoW, DOA4, Project Gotham, etc. But it's FUCKING LOUD and sounds like my old Sony laptop (which made me feel like I was living next to an airport).

The Wii looks like it'd be interesting to play...if it had any decent games out aside from a Gamecube port. And it should've been 50 bucks cheaper. Also, WTF is Nintendo doing with that friend code bullshit? I don't want to have to remember 20 digit numbers for every "buddy" I have.

The PS3 would be nice to have if you got a nice HDTV as an all-in-one media player. But it has no games (aside from Resistance, and I played through it months before it was released) and is fucking $700 (with hdmi cables).

Just got me a 360 recently and so far it's been very nice (aside from the aforementioned loud ass optical drive). I'll definitely be waiting before some games come out before buying either of the other 2 consoles, though.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 03:30:00 AM »

As far as Wii numbers go, you only put those in once. Unelss each game really does have it's own code (Pokemon might be a fluke due to being the first online game there is), it's not that big of a deal once you put it in. I just wish you could pick the name dispalyed to others, like on ICQ.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: