Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334825 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Great Console War 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Great Console War 3  (Read 11966 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 03:56:23 AM »

it's happened with the SNES/Genesis, the NES/SMS (though most people didn't know the latter even existed until it was long dead, or at least I didn't).

In terms of sales, the SMS meant absolutely nothing. The real competition in Japan was NES vs. NEC's PC Engine. In the US, Nintendo was the standard, with no real competition to speak of.

Just wanted to point that out.

Ramza

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 04:27:40 AM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
You mean because its almost like doing the action in real-life? Simulating a real-life action to perform an action in a virtual environment sounds a lot like virtual reality to me.

Semantics.

When "Virtual Reality" is brought up or mentioned, the common instinctive thought or image people have is this.

http://www.clarkson.edu/news/photos/virtualreality.jpg

The Wii is not the case here, so please don't act like it is. Though if we really want to play your word game, any game with a physics system attempting to mimic real life––games that which, do not exist in the physical space time continuum of our dimensional plane, is a "virtual" reality.

Guess that encompasses every single video game ever. Except, they aren't virtual reality.

EDIT: I suck at tags.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 05:59:46 AM »

i think the wii is the first nintendo system i've disliked. i dunno as a hardcore gamer thats been playing since the nes days whos typical gaming session lasts about 5 hours the wiis pickup and play for 20 minutes then put it down style just doesnt fit for me. i'm also very concerned about what will happen if the wii beats out the ps3 and xbox360. are hardcore gamers a dying breed?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 06:48:37 AM »

Where do you get this "play for 20 minutes and put it down" garbage, and where does it say hardcore gamers don't own Wii consoles?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 07:29:24 AM »

Quote from: "Mikkaddo"
Sony has made many mistakes in it’s life. And frankly is a good bit arrogant and self absorbed over their “next gen” systems. The PSX is about where it ends with Sony.

Please do me a favor and stop mixing up your personal opinion and facts. Yes, Sony Computer Entertainment lost its handheld battle against the Nintendo's DS. And even if they should come out on top with PlayStation 3 again, their lead over the competition won't be as significant as during the last two generations of hardware. That being said, regardless of you think, SCE apparently made less mistakes than its competition, otherwise they would not have sold more than 100 million PlayStations and more than 110 million PlayStation 2 units.

Besides, as important and influential Final Fantasy VII was, it alone certainly would not have been enough to create such a huge monumentum. Even before Final Fantasy VII hit retail store shelves back in early 1997, a lot of highly popular franchises (Tekken, Ridge Racer, Resident Evil, Minna no Golf) had been launched on the system or were in the works (Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill).  

[/quote]
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »

I like this Bloodstar dude.....he comes from out of nowhere and not only speaks in actual sentences, but actually backs up his statements snidely.

<3

I aim to please.

Semantics.

When "Virtual Reality" is brought up or mentioned, the common instinctive thought or image people have is this.

http://www.clarkson.edu/news/photos/virtualreality.jpg

The Wii is not the case here, so please don't act like it is. Though if we really want to play your word game, any game with a physics system attempting to mimic real life––games that which, do not exist in the physical space time continuum of our dimensional plane, is a "virtual" reality.

Guess that encompasses every single video game ever. Except, they aren't virtual reality.

First of all it was Mikkaddo's comparison in the first place, so talk to him. Second, I fail to see how that comparison is bad. Personally I think Virtual Reality would be awesome if done right.

Where do you get this "play for 20 minutes and put it down" garbage

I think I understand what she's saying.  It seems gimmicky to me. I'm not saying it couldn't be fun, but for the most part I just don't see my self standing in front of the tv waving a remote around. It might be fun for a while, but it probably gets old.

Oh yeah, and I should mention that my problem with D-pads is that when I press something like up or down the pad always wants to move left or right.
Mikkaddo

GeneralMalak@hotmail.com Mikkaddo2037 blazyr2003
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »

I think I understand what she's saying. It seems gimmicky to me.

Personally I think some gimmicks are worth paying out to. I own both GH, and GHII . . . I love my guitar controller, and both games! I mean getting to PLAY Frankenstein? take that Frequency! >.>;;

You mean because its almost like doing the action in real-life? Simulating a real-life action to perform an action in a virtual environment sounds a lot like virtual reality to me.

well, I had not meant VR in the strictest sense, what I mean as VR is inclusive of the system involivng goggles to ONLY see your game, and anything from gloves to other such hand/body used "controllers" to exactly mimic the actions you're doing. I've heard many a person refuse to even go near a Wii because it RESEMBLES this . . . the argument against it being that no only does it just resemble it, but "it's not even REAL VR . . . it's just a stick" >.> this is the argument I was adressing and trying to fight.

So does that mean they shouldn't try to make a better system in terms of technology as well as innovation?

again, I'm not arguing against progression, but instead arguing against gamers who obsess over graphics. Something that personally I think has always been a problem. If gamers are SO focused on gameslooking beautiful that they bitch and complain to companies till every game looks like real lif,e the company will not be able to spend as much time on the game itself . . . making us have games that look incredible, but aren't worth the signifigant price of the game itself. This particular aspect bothers me far more than anything else, because I used to be one of the gamers that didn't care about anythign but graphics . . . once I realized grapics were simply one piece to the puzzle, I was ashamed to even call myself a gamer for it >.> but I've come back from all that. The comapnies SHOULD work on better graphics, but it should not be so much a focus that we loose the game itself to it. Personally some of my FAVORITE games have horrid graphics . . . and don't even have voice acting. But I love them because despite the lack of amazing graphics the game itself is still great. Take for instance Silent Hill 1. Terrible graphics . . . but the story is incredible, the gameplay was near perfect (as far as the shock factor.) and the nature of how it threw horror at you was somethign that worked with how you thought . . . not what you saw. This is what I'm talking about. A game doesn't need the most powerful graphics possible if it's gameplay, story, and the sense of accomplishment you get from it make you enjoy it just as much. I've played many games taht were gorgeous . . . but I didn't enjoy them because they lacked so much else in place of their graphics.

hardcore gamers a dying breed?

Hardcore gamers a dying breed? come now . . . stop this depressing nonsense . . .

first you must define what you're calling a "hard core gamer" do you mean a gamer that imediately goes to the hardest setting of any game they ever start up? a gamer who refuses to use a differeing controller cuz it's not what they started with? or a gamer that no matter how far down or up the gaming world goes, you're right there . . . living the life . . . keeping the gaming world alive? personally the "hard core gamer" is not dying . ..  some varieties of it are going down . . . but all varieties fluctuate. it's the way of the world. However . . . I do have one thing to say . . . the single player experience is NOT dying . . . the multi-player experience is a good thing . . . but it will never replace the single player experience. How many gamers can honestly say they'd ALWAYS rather play against other gamers rather than through a set story every time always with no exception?

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 06:57:24 PM »

First of all it was Mikkaddo's comparison in the first place, so talk to him. Second, I fail to see how that comparison is bad. Personally I think Virtual Reality would be awesome if done right.

......... huh

Mikkaddo's original post said the Wii is not a "retarded VR spin-off". Your reply to that, was saying that the Wii is VR due to its control methodology. My response to you, thereafter, was stating that it is not VR.

Get it yet?
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 07:50:58 PM »

Personally I think some gimmicks are worth paying out to. I own both GH, and GHII . . . I love my guitar controller, and both games! I mean getting to PLAY Frankenstein? take that Frequency! >.>;;

But the guitar from GH doesn't exist outside of the game it's made for. When you get sick of playing Guitar Hero you can play a different game. What happens when you get sick of the Wii remote though? Its part of the system. I'm not against the Wii remote. I just don't think it will last and the Wii doesn't really seem to offer much else.

again, I'm not arguing against progression, but instead arguing against gamers who obsess over graphics.

Well that's something entirely different. Whether a game looks good but plays like crap or vice versa is up to the developers. The console itself should allow the developers to make games with the best possible graphics if they choose to. And just because a game looks good doesn't mean it will be bad.

......... huh

Mikkaddo's original post said the Wii is not a "retarded VR spin-off". Your reply to that, was saying that the Wii is VR due to its control methodology. My response to you, thereafter, was stating that it is not VR.

Get it yet?

I see what you mean now, but the way I read it before it seemed like you were blaming me for coming up with the comparison in the first place, which I didn't. But realize I said it was like virtual reality, not actual virtual reality.

As for the second part of my response it seemed to me that both of you were defending the Wii by saying its not like virtual reality and that virtual reality was a bad thing. Mikkaddo explained his throughts now though so I know what you meant. Maybe he should have just been more clear about what he meant in the first place.
Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »

yeah, well I can get kinda confusing at times . .. hell very confusing >.> just ask my girlfriend >.>;; I spin off into philisophical rants and stuff so often and deeply I loose track of my original statement >.>;;

However, I don't mean to get so confusing. I try my best to put what my ideas are out there. And frankly no matter the response, I at least try to be civil and converse. *shrugs* if I get confusing or seem to be twisted and turned all around my opinion, just say "hey man . . . what the hell are you talking about?" and I'll try to explain. And now I'll shut up before I start to go into the philisophical rammifications of all this too >.>;;

And just because a game looks good doesn't mean it will be bad.

Well, again, I'd gotten confusing in there. See, I hadn't meant that games with good graphics are bad. But instead I meant that games that the makers spent so much more time on the graphics than anything else usually end up bad. Here, Let me show you in a way I won't get twisted around over . . .

gameplay 20%

controll 20%

story 20%

graphics 20%

sound 20%

now, that's the ideal for any given game . . . however, some games today look more like this.

gameplay 10%

controll 10%

story 10%

graphics 60%

sound 10%

That's what I was talking about >.> when you utilize so much more of the formula into just the graphics alone, the rest of the game falls short. And thusly, the gamer suffers . . .

Congratulations!
You are still alive
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 02:05:35 AM »

Tangents!

[/url]
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 03:15:53 AM »

I see what you mean now, but the way I read it before it seemed like you were blaming me for coming up with the comparison in the first place, which I didn't. But realize I said it was like virtual reality, not actual virtual reality.

A'ight, we cool then.

Sorry if I came off a 'lil abrasive.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 08:09:43 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Tangents!

I am sad because most people don't have any idea what game this card refers to and is a parody of.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »

A'ight, we cool then.

Sorry if I came off a 'lil abrasive.

haha... don't worry about it. That's the thing about reading stuff on forums. Everyone reads it differently.
Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »

haha... don't worry about it. That's the thing about reading stuff on forums. Everyone reads it differently.

That is the general problem with forums. I was a mod for about 2 years on another board . . . and the most frequent happening was someone read the writting on the wall one way, when it was mean to be said another way. >.>;; which has even happened with my stuff on here.

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: