Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 04:17:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327346 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Great Console War 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Great Console War 3  (Read 11720 times)
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 10:36:40 PM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
A'ight, we cool then.

Sorry if I came off a 'lil abrasive.

haha... don't worry about it. That's the thing about reading stuff on forums. Everyone reads it differently.

He'll come off as abrasive many times, but we all love him anyway. I think that's part of his charm. :P
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 06:49:35 AM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"
Quote from: "everluck"
Tangents!

I am sad because most people don't have any idea what game this card refers to and is a parody of.

i dont know what it's a parady of but its a Jyad card. did i spell that right?
i tried jyad before magic but never managed to learn the rules.

wii mote = powerglove

when i said hardcore gamer i refer to people whos main hobby is gaming. some people play warhammer others rice out thier cars some pimp out there sound system. i typically spend at least  4 hours a day gaming so lol wii sports would probally bore me in 5 minutes. my contempt for nintendo comes largly from the gba connectivity bullshit they pulled on gamecube. after sega stopped making consoles i thought nintendo would be my new safe haven. instead i traded it in torwards a ps2 a system i frequently ragged on as a dreamcast owner. lol grandia 2 anyone?  nintendo has to do a lot if they want my buisiness back however they way they are going now it seems they dont want it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 11:15:13 AM »

Except the PowerGlove:

a) Was an accessory, not mandatory to playing any game on the system.

b) Worked with only a handful of games effectively.

c) Didn't fit everyone's hand.

d) Only detected roll of the arm, not patch and yaw as the Wiimote can.

e) Was not the primary means of controlling the system and thus relegated to being an utter novelty. There was no prerequisite that in order to play most games, you would need to use the PowerGlove.

f) Was not designed by Nintendo, but by Abrams/Gentile Entertainment.

As to the rest... If you want an addicting experience, try whipping out Trauma Centre: Second Opinion, or Zelda: Twilight Princess. Second Opinion kept me in my seat for a good six hours at one point, an unhealthy thing considering it was right at finals this past term. I'm a workaholic at school, so when a game can actually distract me that well, it's a rare, rare thing.

You sound like some spoiled elitist who sees something new and immediately retracts into that familiar cocoon of "I DUN WANNA CHANGE!!" bullshit. Keep in mind, I am not applying this to everyone who doesn't like the Wii. Just you specifically, alisha.

No one anywhere says you HAVE to like the Wii, or that it should be your system of choice. However, if all you're going to make your case upon is Wii Sports, a game that is not only a /free/ pack-in, but very clearly meant as a simplistic starter-pack or glorified set of tutorials, then you're immediately selling the system short.
Mikkaddo

GeneralMalak@hotmail.com Mikkaddo2037 blazyr2003
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 04:59:58 PM »

Frankly Alisha, if you're judging the Wii, over Wii Sports solely . . . then you're sorely missing the Wii's point. Wii Sports is like a tutorial and a "hey, why not?" sorta thing. If nothing else it's a ploy to get more systems sold. Kinda like how some stores would say, (mind you waaaaay back in the day) that if you bought a Gamegear, you'd get a free game with your purchase . . .

So frankly, before you judge the whole thing just like that, you need to at least try out one or two other games on it. Personally, I love it . . . because aside from Sega (has already mentioned his freaky otakugamer love for them) Nintendo is about the only company willing to go SO way the fuck out there that no one even knows where they are anymore. Nintendo came out of NOWHERE with the Wii. They knew that the Wii and it's means of controlling would be contraversial, but unlike the other main players have decided to stay in teh same place with controllers and other such means of gaming, Nintendo has jumped in ass first into a new world for gaming. Frankly I think Nintendo is under appreciatedfor the Wii . . .

Don't look at it as some kind of freaky gimmick controller that is the only way to do things. Look at it instead and see a new way to do gaming in general, try out Second Opinion and Red Steel . . . at least at a friends house, or if your lucky enough . . . at a store somewhere. Then make a judgement on it.

And Hidoshi, I don't think we're seeing a spoiled Elitist . . . I'm friends with one, only the word "friend" is being used VERY broadly. It seems to me that Alisha was caught off guard. by it as we all were, but perhaps caught a bit differently off guard. Frankly, I think if Alisha were being a spoiled Elitist, she'd have mentioned how Nintendo has never made so insulting a move . . . blah blah blah, Nintendo will never come back fromt his . . . the system will be a failure cuz it's controller is so horrid . . . and of course, much much BS about graphics . . .

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 06:40:19 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Except the PowerGlove:

It was Mattel actually. But the rest of your post stands true.

Wiimote = power glove? Are you real
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »

As to the rest... If you want an addicting experience, try whipping out Trauma Centre: Second Opinion, or Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Meh... I got it for my Game Cube and it plays just fine.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 10:03:07 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
Except the PowerGlove:

It was Mattel actually. But the rest of your post stands true.

Wiimote = power glove? Are you real

Manufactured by Mattel, but in fact designed by a couple of contractors for Abrams/Gentile last I checked. ^^ I did my research.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 02:28:49 AM »

what caught me off guard is how a system with potentialy one of the worst launch lineups ever is garnering so much popularity. all during christmas break my brother was trying to convince me as to why the wii is great and i just dont see it. also its not that i think the controller is stupid,its that i fail to see its potential applications in the type of games i like without changing them to fit the wiimote. i just could not imagine a game like psu with the wiimote. currently theres 2 wii games i'm interested in and both use either a gc or classic controller. i think i'll pass on trauma center i dont think ive ever fully enjoyed a game that didnt involve some kind of violence or competition. heck even when i was young tetris bored me within 5-10 minutes.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 02:49:11 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
what caught me off guard is how a system with potentialy one of the worst launch lineups ever is garnering so much popularity.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

Twilight Princess is ranked at 14.

Which games above that were a launch title? Halo? Pft....that game is an overrated piece of shit.

Yeah...shut up.  Nintendo always wins at launching.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 03:14:41 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
what caught me off guard is how a system with potentialy one of the worst launch lineups ever is garnering so much popularity.

Which games above that were a launch title? Halo? Pft....that game is an overrated piece of shit.

soul calibur was a launch title coinsidently dreamcast probally has the best launch lineup in history.

Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 05:07:22 PM »

*holds up a system* Alas poor Dreamcast . . . I knew ye well.

The thing of it is, Dreamcast had the best line up . . .but the worst timing. Think about it now . . . how many people in general do you know that said they'd rather buy a Dreamcast than a PS2? Dreamcast was SO awesome . . . and SO far ahead of it's time . . . sure the controller was hard on the hand, but that is somethign that personally I was willing to deal with . . . however, the PS2 launched, and somehow kicked it's ass all around the stores >.>

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2006, 05:26:03 PM »

Worst timing? When should they have released it instead? They released it when it was ready, but regardless of the quality software, it was simply crushed between the last generation of high-profile PlayStation games (Final Fantasy IX, Dragon Quest VII, etc.) and the first generation of PlayStation 2 games. It obviously also did not help that major players like Square, Enix, and EA did not support the system at all.
Mikkaddo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2006, 05:55:57 PM »

that's the timing I mean . . . the fact that Sega released it right then . . . but yeah, ther'es not exactly any other time they could have released it. But it was SO far ahead of it's time . . . I mean really, other than the computer, it was the first system to have online gaming. Shenmue anyone? and not to mention that the memorycard itself had a clock in it, as well as minigames FROM your DC games and EVEN allowed you to trade chars and items and shit . . . and even had ways ot buy things FOR games you already have data on . . . you could buy new chars for fighting games cuz the save data allowed for that program in your memory card . . . just more proof of how far ahead the DC was . . . *sighs* but . . . Sega SHALL rise again!

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2006, 06:05:03 PM »

soul calibur was a launch title coinsidently dreamcast probally has the best launch lineup in history.

I'm going to go ahead and just quote someone here...

"I've never read anything by Alisha that didn't immediately make me want to kill myself and her."

Can you PLEASE just GTFO? You fail on so many levels that even Bubsy 3D is making fun of you.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2006, 12:40:23 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and just quote someone here...

"I've never read anything by Alisha that didn't immediately make me want to kill myself and her."

Can you PLEASE just GTFO? You fail on so many levels that even Bubsy 3D is making fun of you.

i love you too. just because my opinion does not coincide with yours i fail? nice. i also fail to understand how my previous post called for that reply but oh well. as someone who plays fighting games and rpg's almost exclusively is it really that hard to understand why i dont like the wii? and in turn why i would not want it too succeed.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: