Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 09:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331572 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Great Console War 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The Great Console War 3  (Read 11882 times)
Mikkaddo

GeneralMalak@hotmail.com Mikkaddo2037 blazyr2003
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2006, 04:55:19 PM »

ahh . . . that clears some of it up for me Alisha. However, not wanting it to succeed? frankly I can't understand wanting the system to fail simply because of the controller . . . I mean, granted, if they'd added in a way to simply use a normal controller (like with Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) then things would be much different I'm sure . . . but . . . you don't want it to succeed?

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Quote from: "Dade"
what caught me off guard is how a system with potentialy one of the worst launch lineups ever is garnering so much popularity.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

Twilight Princess is ranked at 14.

Which games above that were a launch title? Halo? Pft....that game is an overrated piece of shit.

Yeah...shut up.  Nintendo always wins at launching.

soul calibur was a launch title coinsidently dreamcast probally has the best launch lineup in history.

I'm going to go ahead and just quote someone here...

"I've never read anything by Alisha that didn't immediately make me want to kill myself and her."

Can you PLEASE just GTFO? You fail on so many levels that even Bubsy 3D is making fun of you.

i love you too. just because my opinion does not coincide with yours i fail? nice. i also fail to understand how my previous post called for that reply but oh well. as someone who plays fighting games and rpg's almost exclusively is it really that hard to understand why i dont like the wii? and in turn why i would not want it too succeed.

Opinions are fine and dandy. The problem is that you perform one logical fallacy after another. Okay, so you like RPGs. GREAT. So you like fighters. Superb! The Wii doesn't cater to these? How do you know? Those waters haven't been tested.

But okay, no present evidence available. Even then, all you ever cited was Wii Sports. You generalised, glazed over any actual points you could have made, and came out looking like a total douchebag because of it. It's not a difference of opinion here. It's the fact that your opinion is based on incredibly poor logic and reasoning.

And I stand by the quote, even now. :P
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »

Alisha, you need to fuck off and die. Seriously. Just because you don't like a system, based on NO real information, just your apparent guesses at the future, you want it to fail? Why? If there are no other systems what makes you think the one that you do like is going to do anything innovative? Look at the fucking Madden series. They add one or two new moves or features and it is "all new". It is still the same game you played last year, but now you can dodge being hit! Seriously. I don't give a flying fuck whether you like a system or not. It is your choice to continue to be an ignorant asshole who doesn't use any sort of logic. What I dislike about you, other than your complete lack of intelligence, is the fact that you want a system to fail simply because you are a fucking douche bag fan girl. Go choke.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »

I want the Wii to fail too, along with all Nintendo's other console plans.  In fact, I won't rest until I see Zelda on an Xbox.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2006, 10:48:48 PM »

i don't dislike the wii because of the controller. rather im afraid of the potential consequences for me if the wii succeeds. especially in my opinion after what i feel was the negative effect that the GTA series has had. i've seen information that points to nintendo trying to capture a more casual audience with both the wii and the DS. if wii succeeds whats gonna stop the eventual trickle down effect of companies copying what worked for nintendo?
and if im a fangirl of anything its phantasy star. had psu come out for wii and 360 and instead of ps2 and 360 i'd in all likelyhood own a wii right now.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Mikkaddo

GeneralMalak@hotmail.com Mikkaddo2037 blazyr2003
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »

specially in my opinion after what i feel was the negative effect that the GTA series has had.

The only real problematic result of the GTA series, has been the abject violence and lack of discipline required to play an action game. Frankly I despise the GTA games LEVEL of abject violence . . . I mean granted, I love going around in the game and just slaughtering . . . but there's no real concequences to it. The cops catch you, and what happens? you get sent to the police office, and are stripped of all on hand cash, and all on hand weapons. Wow . . . I feel so ashamed for ahving been caught >.> however, the idea of GTA in THEORY is quite interesting . . . see the stress of living as a criminal, or thug as it were . . . basically, the gang life. However, the way the games go about it is just terrible. I prefer greatly the games like Godfather and such for that . . .

Congratulations!
You are still alive
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 12:32:23 PM »

I think everyone needs to just calm the fuck down. Especially you daggerstrike. She might fail when it comes to making logical arguements but she does have some good points mixed in there.

As for the Wii failing I'm going to agree. I actually just want Nintendo to fail in general. I'm sick of them as a company since they think innovation is a substitute for technology but mostly because, as Darkrider said I'm sick of buying Nintendo consoles just to play Zelda or something. I want them to fail like Sega and just start developing games for different systems.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 10:57:32 PM »

And you don't feel that's generalising just a bit too much?

While the PSOne and PS2 have provided me with entertainment over the years, so has the GBA, DS, the GCN (to a lesser degree), as well as the Dreamcast. What's more is, Sega was, in my opinion, a better developer on its own hardware. The non-stop trail of shoddy ports following the end of Sega's console years has pretty much killed my faith in all but a small portion of that company. That portion that I still respect is pretty much responsible for PSU, and PSU alone.

Like it or lump it, the console industry does need to grow. This naysaying about the Wii is the same naysaying that went on not long ago regarding the DS. It went on about the iPod, and just about any other technological device that decided to change up the everyday in regards to user input.

Does no on read history? You evolve or you die. That's the staple of every time period. The same is true of industry. Some industries can hold on in one mode for quite awhile, but not the majority. The game industry cannot either.

Now I'm not going to play the uberfanboy and pretend Nintendo is the king of innovation, but it is leading the charge. Sega died because it never innovated in its main markets. Everything was a peripheral that didn't require the user to learn unless they wanted to. Nintendo has basically said "fuck that" and made the innovation a meaningful part of their console.

Beyond that, and returning to your comment... Just to play Zelda? Are you stoned? Go play some Rayman or Trauma Centre: Second Opinion before you open your mouth. Those are fantastic games. Red Steel is medicore, but it's the only truly average game for the Wii that was expected to be any good. TC:SO, Rayman, Zelda, and heck, Madden '07 are amazing games. I haven't enjoyed a football game since the Sega games released in the early days of the Dreamcast, but Madden's something special.

Now I will be frank. I've bashed the PS3 plenty. But I haven't said "Oh I want Sony to fail". You need multiple companies to create good competition. This attitude that a company known for routine quality should "fail" is short-sighted and retarded to say the least. And that isn't an opinion, that's a fact. Nintendo does build some of the most solid hardware and software in the business. Whether it appeals to you or not is up for consideration. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Criticize it? Sure. But at least attempt to criticize it within the tenants of common sense.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
...as Darkrider said I'm sick of buying Nintendo consoles just to play Zelda or something. I want them to fail like Sega and just start developing games for different systems.

........................................__.............................................................
.................................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,.................................................
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,.............................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\............................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\...........................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,.........................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,.........................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)...........................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../..............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.............................
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,....................
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 11:02:58 PM »

I want them to fail like Sega and just start developing games for different systems.

No thanks.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 11:13:51 PM »

As for the Wii failing I'm going to agree. I actually just want Nintendo to fail in general.

Japanese Software (November 27 - December 3)
# Name (System) Sales (LTD)
1. Tales of Destiny (PS2) 269,756 (new)
2. Wii Sports (Wii) 176,167 (new)
3. Wii Play (Wii) 174,297 (new)
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) 139,011 (new)
5. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) 137,810 (new)
6. Summon Night 4 (PS2) 115,701 (new)
7. Pokemon Diamond (DS) 70,190 (1,897,417)
8. JUMP ULTIMATE STARS (DS) 66,269 (216,572)
9. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii) 63,954 (new)
10. Love and Berry (DS) 60,041 (481,268)

Japanese Hardware (November 27 - December 3)
System - Sales (LTD)
Wii - 350,358 (new)
DSL - 176,901 (6,132,183)
PS3 - 31,436 (187,836)
PSP - 23,917 (4,246,974)
PS2 - 23,115 (20,002,291)
Xbox 360 - 4,053 (178,069)
GBASP - 1,572 (5,907,676)
GBM - 1,252 (552,408)
GCN - 821 (4,165,650)
DS - 140 (6,581,548)
GBA - 22 (8,822,942)

Wii price:
Graphic chip $29.60
CPU $13.00
DRAM $7.80
Optical disk drive $31.00
Power supply $11.30
Manufacturing cost $19.50

Cost total $158.30

Wholesale price $195.99

Sony loses money with each PS3 sale. A lot of money.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:56 AM »

i just want to clarify something about GTA. its not the game itself or its violence that i dislike(although i think it sells WAY better than it deserves too) it was when every game starting trying to copy its open ended gameplay that i started to get mad. heck you could even make the case that ffx-2 fell victim to this curse as well. i like my games to have structure. i get bored fast without it.

also dios what you just posted further illustrates nintindos unwillingness to take financial risks. thier whole online is a fad BS with gamecube was their way of saying. we dont want online because we dont think we could make money off it. regardless of what i've been saying i will get a wii eventually just for smash bros brawl and the new fire emblem,wich along with starfox and metroid are the only nintendo franchises i give a rats ass about.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2007, 12:34:53 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
...as Darkrider said I'm sick of buying Nintendo consoles just to play Zelda or something. I want them to fail like Sega and just start developing games for different systems.

........................................__.............................................................
.................................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,.................................................
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,.............................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\............................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\...........................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,.........................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,.........................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)...........................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../..............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.............................
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,....................
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

It's okay Dadeykins, he's new.  He didn't know I was being sarcastic. :P

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2007, 12:48:20 AM »

i just want to clarify something about GTA. its not the game itself or its violence that i dislike(although i think it sells WAY better than it deserves too) it was when every game starting trying to copy its open ended gameplay that i started to get mad. heck you could even make the case that ffx-2 fell victim to this curse as well. i like my games to have structure. i get bored fast without it.

also dios what you just posted further illustrates nintindos unwillingness to take financial risks. thier whole online is a fad BS with gamecube was their way of saying. we dont want online because we dont think we could make money off it. regardless of what i've been saying i will get a wii eventually just for smash bros brawl and the new fire emblem,wich along with starfox and metroid are the only nintendo franchises i give a rats ass about.

Do you live under a FUCKING ROCK girl? Open-ended gameplay has been around since ULTIMA. God... you make my head hurt.

And how the FUCK does anything Dios posted show any unwillingness to take financial risks? I'd say changing up control systems and potentially alienating a good portion of their userbase is a pretty good example of willingness to take financial risks. Not to mention... Who ELSE has taken financial risks? Sony? Microsoft? Sega? No one has taken financial risks other than Nintendo in recent years.

Edit: Fine. I'll be a kinder dickhead.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2007, 01:07:20 AM »

I hope the Wii fails because Mark likes it.

GRRR. D:<

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: