Author Topic: The Great RPGfan Cook Off!

xpsychedelico

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
Re: The Great RPGfan Cook Off!
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Yesterday's and today's dinner! I try to always include veggies and minimize the amount of starch in my food.

Kiam Chye Soup
- Preserved mustard greens
- Quartered tomatoes
- Baby portabello mushrooms
- Tofu

Bring 1st three items to a boil then simmer for 1 hour, then toss in cubed tofu and bring to a boil again before eating. Good with rice! Also great with sliced pork for extra protein (Scald the pork in a separate pot before adding to keep the soup clear).

"Spaghetti" (forgot to take a before picture)
- Edamame 'spaghetti'
- Favorite red pasta sauce
- Baby portabello mushrooms
- Frozen chopped spinach
- Sunny side up egg (not pictured)

Here's my best cheat for livening store-bought sauces (does not work with marinara sauces)... toss it in a pot, season excessively with salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano. Saute some sliced mushrooms till the smell fills the kitchen, then add it in, mix it all up, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer and wait. Stir every ~ten minutes. Once you can smell the deliciousness of the sauce, it's ready. Usually ~40min to an hour, you can go do the laundry or something while waiting. I like to toss some thawed chopped veggies at the end, because they add extra nutrients with no texture or taste effect on the dish.

Also, anyone who hasn't tried a sunny side up egg with spaghetti is sorely missing out.
"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »
Banana bread. I did not have a loaf pan (left it behind somewhere) so used a 8x8 brownie pan. Worked nicely!

Recipe here
http://i.imgur.com/vORHzEg.jpg

My bread used pecans instead of walnuts, had a handful of chocolate chunks in. :)

I have this big scrapbook that I add recipes to so I have no idea where this originally was published. Always been my go to banana bread recipe tho!

Ok, new to this. How do I get this to show my images correctly? I used the img tags... :(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:17:35 PM by xpsychedelico »

xpsychedelico

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »
I tried to help! That's a very big delicious looking image...

I right clicked the Imgur image and selected copy link address, then pasted it between the image code.
"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 04:13:16 AM »
@Luna: That looks delicious and very diet friendly. =3

@Aurian: That looks delicious and not diet friendly but I don't care I'm eating the whole thing with butter.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »

It's very moist so you need no butter. Just a knife to cut a slice!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »
I eat all cake loafs with butter :P It's my ketchup. (not that I'm saying you should put ketchup on cake)

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 07:46:45 AM »
Alright, going to try and share a picture of some donuts I made a few years ago. Image is hosted on facebook, so I am going to pray that this works right.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
You guys are making me want to make a dessert! Those doughnuts looks nom. (So what DO you do with the holes! :P)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Alright, going to try and share a picture of some donuts I made a few years ago. Image is hosted on facebook, so I am going to pray that this works right.

That looks like a sweet delicious heart attack.  Mmmm

I'm ashamed a lot of my cooking is assembling random goods from the grocery store than 'from scratch'.  Dunno how good a chef I am but I sure as hell know how to arrange and apply spices and whatever accoutrement!!!!!! >:(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »
God those donuts look like something worth hurting myself with.

Totally beats my patented (and super healthy) "lets make desert with baby food puree and almonds" recipe <------ -PICTURE NOT WORTH POSTING-
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
I consider myself a good chef/baker... As long as I have a recipe to start from. I can modify existing recipes but I don't come up with anything complex on my own. Nevertheless, I do cook great food (much to hubby's delight).

[Reyn voice] ITS BRINE TIME! [/Reyn voice]

Still new to this, having trouble making my pictures a manageable size :-/

At any rate, family dinner tomorrow and it's potluck style. I have been asked to bring my famous ribs, which take two days to prepare. Day 1 is brining the ribs. This gives extra flavour, and softens the meat and makes it really moist and juicy. DAY 2 will be tomorrow where I boil the ribs for 2-3 hours, then cover them with an Asian style sauce, then BBQ them.

The brine has salt, lemon peels, cinnamon sticks, garlic, jalapeño peppers, cloves, peppercorns and of course water.

One reason my ribs are so good is that I am obsessive about getting all the blobs of fat and membrane off them.

Daggerstrike

• Rainbow Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »
My girlfriend made bacon mac and cheese, so I made a sausage and sauteed onions. Combined them all and added some sriracha-

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
I was at a jamaican block party this morning helping my old man set up a sound system for an aquiantance of ours from a while ago, and as we're finishing up, a guy had JUST STARTED grilling up some jerk chicken. I could smell the peppers and the seasonings burning up as we were leaving...saddest day of my summer so far, missing out on that...

TASTY!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 08:46:35 PM »
Making non-alcoholic dirty martinis. Ingredients include a jar of olives, a straw, and a complete disregard for social norms.

-- edit --

wait oh my god cheerios in olive brine is actually good
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:13:41 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
Alright, since I was actually able to get my last picture through, going to give this another try with...peanut brittle (prior to being broken up).

You guys are making me want to make a dessert! Those doughnuts looks nom. (So what DO you do with the holes! :P)
Recipe calls for use of a doughnut cutter which is apparently a thing, but I have never bothered to buy one, so instead I use a cookie cutter and then just use my fingers to make the hole in the center.

God those donuts look like something worth hurting myself with.
First time I made them, my friend/taste tester described them as being better than Krispy Kreme doughnuts. :p