Author Topic: Shadow Hearts question

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
Shadow Hearts question
« on: August 01, 2015, 02:44:16 AM »
I own all three Shadow Hearts games, but haven't made it past the 4-hour mark in any of them (or even the 0-hour mark in From the New World).  I'm not the most fiscally responsible guy when it comes to video games.  I plan on getting into at least one of them later this year.  My question is: do I really need to play the first one?  I remember the second one made a lot of gameplay improvements, and most Shadow Hearts fans say Covenant is the best one in the series.  So is it okay to skip over the first one and jump into Covenant, or will I miss out on major story payoffs if I do that? 

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Hearts question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 07:50:17 AM »
You wouldn't miss out on a great deal of plot points by skipping the first game.  But you would miss out on the feels, man. I don't think Covenant would have hit home nearly as hard for me without experiencing the first game.  Luckily, the original is a great game in its own right, so playing it first wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice.  SH 2 was one of the few direct sequels that I played immediately after finishing the original and it definitely felt worth it.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
Also, if you don't go overboard tying to get everything, the original Shadow Hearts isn't terribly long.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »
I played the third one first and actually REALLY liked it. That was in 2006.

I beat the first game last year, and I'm going through the second one presently.

My feeling is, if you're not enjoying the games, just don't play any of them.

And if you're not a completionist, then ... yeah, just play Covenant. It has, as a mere *subplot,* the entirety of the Princess Anastasia (Romanov family / Rasputin) deal. It's awesome.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:05:54 AM »
Thanks, everyone!  I'm going to give the original Shadow Hearts another shot, and if I don't like it then I'll switch to Covenant.  If I still don't like THAT, I'm giving up.  Probably gonna do that sometime in the fall. 

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 05:10:58 AM »
You'll be missing out on the first one regardless. Shadow Hearts is actually the successor of a somewhat obscure RPG called Koudelka for the PSX.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 02:52:55 AM »
Damit I can't believe I missed this topic.

I sometimes have trouble with retro titles, but for whatever reason this game series just hit all the right buttons with me.  The first game is especially rough on the edges, but if you can get past that, I think it's extremely charming in an 'early RPG' way.  I think it really picked up after some goofy dog boss you fight.

The second game is definitely more refined, polished, prettier, musical-er, but I do think the plot and dungeons takes a huge step back --- until the finale where it shoots way back up.

I agree with Ramza, if you aren't feeling it, I'm not sure at what point you keep going with it.  Personally, I thought it was an experience I was missing out on for many-a-year.

I'm also a huge fan of the game's battle themes.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52:37 AM »
You'll be missing out on the first one regardless. Shadow Hearts is actually the successor of a somewhat obscure RPG called Koudelka for the PSX.

I'm playing the series in a stupid order where the last shall be first and the first shall be last ... but the middle is in order.

III
I
II
Koudelka

It's a great plan. :)