Author Topic: Andrew's editorial

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Andrew's editorial
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
(yes, I realized this contradicts my topic about never reading the main page.  I'm not Jesus, so I'm not perfect. Therefore, I make exceptions for reviews, editorials and GOTY pieces)

Andrew's editorial about playing FFVII for the first time is dated August 10, but he says it was written before the VII remake was announced.  But wasn't the remake announced at E3 on June 15 (almost two months ago). What happened? Did you guys just sit on his post for 60 days? Or is it still June in Australia?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
Re: Andrew's editorial
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »
Did you guys just sit on his post for 60 days?

I'd use a different phrase than "just sit on it." More likely than not, Andrew wrote this a week or two before E3, then the remake announcement came, then everyone's like "crap ... this retrospective might need some rewrites to work in the news of the remake." And then, "well, we might wanna wait for more details ABOUT the remake so Andrew can speak cogently." And then finally, "we're not getting anything concrete from SE, so screw it, let's post the original version."

As a happily retired editor I don't know the details. But that's just me usin' some ol' imagination to guess at what happened.

Also, I just played thru FFVII on Steam (because I have an achievement addiction, God help me). And it is a heck of a lot more charming than I remembered it being. For every moment of dark, there are two moments of silly-cute.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
That's a pretty solid set of guesses. :)  It was frustrating that things worked out quite how they did, but we didn't want his hard work to go unposted.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
There's some content we post that is indeed written a fair bit before we post it. We generally don't do that with anything time-sensitive, and until this remake was announced, we considered this one "timeless," for lack of a better word. It's still about his first experience with the game, so the remake doesn't have a lot of bearing on this particular article.

If you DO want more remake talk, we posted another editorial shortly after E3 that's specific to the remake, inspired by many conversations we had during E3.
"Don’t be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isn’t a demon. She’s a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
For what its worth, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
For what it's worth, we always appreciate you doing so :)
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
For what its worth, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Thank you very much. :)

And yeah, I wrote it... hmm... maybe 4 months ago or so.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
(yes, I realized this contradicts my topic about never reading the main page.  I'm not Jesus, so I'm not perfect. Therefore, I make exceptions for reviews, editorials and GOTY pieces)

Andrew's editorial about playing FFVII for the first time is dated August 10, but he says it was written before the VII remake was announced.  But wasn't the remake announced at E3 on June 15 (almost two months ago). What happened? Did you guys just sit on his post for 60 days? Or is it still June in Australia?

I think I can explain everything in song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydKXNq6mWk
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
Just wait for our Editorial on that new FFX HD remaster coming out :o

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:50 AM »

I honestly wouldn't mind someone exploring the "handheld gets the bonuses" trend. P3P, P4Golden, all those Atelier "Plus" games, etc. It's like, you didn't get for console? Here, get it for $10 less on your Vita with even more stuff!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »

I honestly wouldn't mind someone exploring the "handheld gets the bonuses" trend. P3P, P4Golden, all those Atelier "Plus" games, etc. It's like, you didn't get for console? Here, get it for $10 less on your Vita with even more stuff!

Isn't that the case with all re-releases though. Handheld or not, you always get some bonus content to coax people into re-buying the same thing over and over again. It's like with every new Star Wars release/remaster having 5 seconds of extra, never before seen, footage.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »
I suppose that's true. But the trend to go console first then handheld is ... well, I suppose it's cost-effective. But it's still weird. It's like I can just sit around with a Vita and just wait for all the big titles to land in my pocket sooner or later.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:06 PM »

Final Fantasy 10 is just an improved Final Fantasy 8 with elements from Final Fantasy 7.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:07:16 AM »

Final Fantasy 10 is just an improved Final Fantasy 8 with elements from Final Fantasy 7.

And, IMO, the best battle system in FF history.  Pity they never used it again. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:32 AM »
I suppose that's true. But the trend to go console first then handheld is ... well, I suppose it's cost-effective. But it's still weird. It's like I can just sit around with a Vita and just wait for all the big titles to land in my pocket sooner or later.

This, I would say, is a hardware issue. Once handhelds are powerful enough, popular titles from previous gens get ported over for quick profit.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you