Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  2d Fighters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2d Fighters  (Read 4077 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2006, 02:26:23 AM »

Lately I've been having a huge hankering for a good 2d Fighter. I'm burnt out on the Soul Caliber and Virtua Figher/Tekken games. Love em to death, but the 3d style is kinda old.

So other than the Guilty Gear games....which I've never really understood the whole raving fanboy mentality when it comes to it.....what do you guys recommend?

I havent played Street Fighter in a hell of a long time and I know there were a couple different collections released in the past couple years that are probably picked up for pretty cheap at Gamestop. There's also King of Fighers and the SNK stuff which I have NEVER played.

Anyhoo...any reommendations would be very welcome.

Edit: Oh and I'd prefer a recommendation for either PS2 or GBA/DS. My Xbox isnt really a game player anymore.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 02:49:50 AM »

I can't say I'm any good at 2D fighters or that I know much about them, but Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is easily my favorite 2D fighting game ever. I know there are Xbox and PS2 versions out there but I can't vouch for the quality of those ports. But the Dreamcast version is superb. I remember I used to play the hell out of it with some buddies. Sure it's not the most balanced game out there with its 50+ characters or something, but it's fricking fun. And I've still yet to play another fighter in which you can rack up a 150+hit combo that very well might give you an epileptic seizure.
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:03:47 PM »

Capcom vs snk the second part, is amazing, and the version of dc better than the ps2, and if you wait till march for hokuto no ken, i thought will be awesome too >_>

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »

Depends on what you like in fighting games.
I would say for crazy-combo-extravaganza fun you should pick up Marvel vs Capcom 2.
But if you're going for skill/moves mastery, definitely Capcom vs SNK 2.

Also if by any chance you have a Dreamcast around, get Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2. (or try the MAME32 versions =P)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 05:59:42 PM »

Hell, I was just about to mention Last Blade 2. Still one of the finest 2D beat'em'ups ever created. I believe there is a PS2 port of it, but not sure if it was ever released outside of Japan.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 07:03:17 AM »

if you are familliar with street fighter and/or guilty gear mechanics the kof series is really easy to pickup. whats cool is i think newer instalments use the Garou mark of wolves version of terry. i cant vouch for its quality but a lot of people seem to love melty blood. you should be able to download it on the internets. if importing isnt a problem i like the rumble fish 1 and 2. they are made by the same company that made guilty gear but its closer to street fighter than guilty gear. the characters are redered with polygons but still look 2d. avoid capcom fighting evolution its garbage so is snk vs capcom chaos.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 08:11:31 PM »

I would also recommend Capcom vs. SNK 2.  I used to play that to death over Xbox Live.  SF: Alpha 3 and Street Fighter 3 on the Dreamcast were great as well.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
solieyu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »

if you can find the ps2 versions of them, definitely check out marvel vs capcom 2 and/or street fighter 3. marvel vs capcom 2 is more of a crazy fighter with tons of crap flying all across the screen while sf3 is a little bit slower but much more technical. i think you can pick up sf3 in the street fighter collection that capcom released a while back...it also comes with sf2 i believe.

if you really want a wealth of 2d fighting games, see if you can find a dreamcast for cheap somewhere. one of the best systems for fighters, bar none
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 10:32:27 PM »

Quote from: "solieyu"
one of the best systems for fighters, bar none

Totally unrelated, and not trying to be a douche, but that sentence made me laugh...
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 08:59:22 PM »

Honestly, if you played GuiltyGearX2 seriously I think you'd really enjoy it, but give Streetfighter3-thirdstrike a whirl, you can pick it up in the recent collection for ps2. Capcom VS Snk2 is pretty fun but the combo system is sort of shallow and glitchy. I mostly play that game for the sheer luls involved with having terry and ryu in the same game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=83V9sG4YZtw
 watch this and see if you don't feel like giving guiltygear a trrrrry.

meltyblood is only for tournament scene players. The characters all blow but the system is really hardcore.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:05:01 AM »

Ah, 2D fighters. I love them. My favorite are Guilty Gear XX Slash, Street Fighter 3:3Rd Strike, Samurai Shodown:Tenka, and NeoGeo Battle Coliseum.

If you were serious about really getting into them, I would suggest getting a stick to play. Most serious players get a custom made stick. I have a couple myself.

Also, I would suggest checking out a couple of these sites.

http://Http://www.shoryuken.com

http://Http://www.Dustloop.com

http://Http://www.Guardcrush.net

Shoryuken is a great site. You can talk about any fighter there. It also has a great general discussion area, match making to find friends to play with and other cool areas.

Dustloop is a Guilty Gear site.

And Guardcrush is a site dedicated to SNK fighters.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »

Unrelated:  Fighting games are the one reason I kept my Dreamcast and still play with it.  Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are my favorites.  I'm still chasing secrets in MvC 2.  

As far as 2D fighters go these days, it's mostly Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and Guilty Gear.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »

I should also suggest this new fighter that just came out in Japanese arcades. It's called Arcana Hearts

http://matchpile.com/

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oGulWyQxj2w

Here's a list of matches, and one match from youtube.

Also, here's some high level play of Guilty Gear Slash from Japan from Super Battle Opera 06. SBO is the biggest fighting game tourney in Japan. Watching match vids of high level play is usually the best way to get better, besides playing people better than you. It's good way to develop tactics and strats.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNhPpS1rGPI

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: