Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games

brogidchwa

• squidkid
  • splat me irl m8
    • View Profile
    • i'm a composer/sound designer/writer for games.
Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »
hai guise
i think we should have a place where we can share secrets about which popular games we don't like
or like parts of games, ie. music, battle system, art, story, etc.

i'll go first so that no one else has to go first

*deep breath*

i don't like final fantasy x? i don't like the character designs, and i think tidus was really whiny and wayy too much of a frat bro.
it was cool that you could switch out your characters mid-battle, tho
and blitzball was a cool idea

and i'm just gonna stop there bc i want to play it safe rn :3 fufufu

(i was trying to find a thread that was about this and couldn't find it but if it exists then sorry ??)
music/sound/story for games @ brigidchoi.com

icon not my art

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
I think the entire FPS genre is peurile and overrated.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »
~~Rubs hands together~~

Here goes...

I still can't play Xenoblade Chronicles because it bombards you with so many side quests right from the word go.  You could spend c. 30 hours running around whacking stuff before you even get much past the first town.  It's basically the exact opposite of FFXIII (which I loved).

The only Legend of Zelda game worth playing is A Link to the Past.

Chrono Cross is vastly superior to Chrono Trigger.  I  have no idea why people love the first one so much save for nostalgia.

Every metroidvania Castlevania after SOTN is disjointed and ugly as sin and I couldn't care less about any of their characters.

Persona 4 is one of the most cheesy and annoying RPGs ever made and a discredit to both parts of P2 and P3.  It feels like a "family friendly" version of SMT and that cuts a hole in me that goes straight to the core.

Even though I constantly list FFVI as my favorite game ever, I secretly agree with everyone who says that it's over rated.

ok, that's enough.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:12:07 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
I still think FFX had the best battle system in the FF series, though I could take or leave other parts of it.  I still enjoyed it, though.  Why more FF games don't use FFX's battle system is beyond me.  It's the best battle engine in the series, I think.

Now FF6 are Dragon Quest 8 are popular games I simply couldn't get into.  I can't quite put my finger on why.  They're bona fide classics and totally the kind of RPGs that are in my wheelhouse, but I found them rather unengaging.  Bravely Default falls under that as well.  It's that dating analogy I've used ad nauseum here- dating a girl who's totally your type on paper, but on an actual night out that chemistry, that intangible "spark" just isn't there.  You have to keep justifying and rationalizing all their good points to yourself objectively and it kills you.  You know you should be happy, but you're not and that cognitive dissonance stresses you out.  

Of course, there's the converse situation where you're set up with a girl who's not really the type you usually go for, but that chemistry, that intangible spark, that "oh YEAH!" feeling is there.  You're not questioning your joy, you're just enjoying it.  Several games that weren't really "my type" were ones I enjoyed a lot.  I'm not fond of SRPGs and I've generally steered clear of Fire Emblem games because they're pretty hardcore and I'm a wimp.  However, I thoroughly enjoyed Awakening.  I also thoroughly enjoyed Wild Arms XF (though most other critics thought it was lousy.)  I also tried out Lightning Returns on a whim and, again, that game is totally not my type but I had fun with it.  

EDIT: I also disliked Skies of Arcadia.  I tried playing the Dreamcast demo (that came with some magazine) and the flashy strobe effects made my eyes go funny and my head twitch.  Yeah, I know you could press start and skip all of that, but sometimes I didn't press it in time.  Also, the herky-jerky camera during battles (which took forever to play out) made me seasick.  It is one of two RPGs that actually caused me physical pain (the other was Paladin's Quest for SNES- holy mother of eyestrain that game's color scheme was!  I have zero desire to play it.  

Ergo, my favorite Dreamcast RPG was Grandia II.  No eyestrain, camera panned smoothly in battles, and the game itself was fantastic.  

EDIT 2: My favorite Dragon Quest game was Rocket Slime.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:53:14 AM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
Chrono Cross is vastly superior to Chrono Trigger.  I  have no idea why people love the first one so much save for nostalgia.

Thank you. I haven't played Cross (didn't come out here), but I agree whole-heartedly about Trigger.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:37:53 PM »
Metroid going 3D was a mistake and they all suck.

Breath of Fire 3 is the worst (non-phone) BoF.

FF6 is too long for its own good and they should have done a cut to remove some of the useless plot AND characters.

Xenosaga 1 is the best of the 3.

People who play every Pokemon games are clearly crazy as they change so very little between each subsequent entry.

I never finished A Link to the Past because it gets seriously boring midway and I give up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:39:25 PM by Annubis »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »

Even though I constantly list FFVI as my favorite game ever, I secretly agree with everyone who says that it's over rated.

I agree with all of those, strangely.  Especially the Chrono Cross one.  And even the FFVI one, but to a very small extent.  It's always in my Top 5, but I recognize that a lot of people rate it higher than perhaps it deserves simply because "it's old school" and "it's better than FFVII", both of which are idiotic parameters around which to judge a game's quality.

The P4 one, though, I think creates a division between us.  Not because I have ever played P4, but because I LOATHE WITH EVERY PART OF ME the entire mainline SMT series, which you seem to hold on high as the standard by which Persona games must be judged.  I also loathe the Persona series, but to a lesser extent, and ONLY Persona 4 has tempted me to give the franchise another shot.

Regarding Trigger: it's really a very good 16-bit JRPG.  Not much replay value, but a good story, good characters, and a GREAT soundtrack......... all categories in which Cross is superior, along with superlative visuals and replay value.  The Trigger fans simply hate to admit it.  How could some mostly-unrelated sequel outdo their beloved classic?  And yet that is exactly what Chrono Cross did.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:58:23 PM »
I think the entire FPS genre is peurile and overrated.

Saying that on an RPG board will make this possibly a popular comment. :P

> Dragon Quest does nothing for me, it's classic to a fault (admittedly, maybe it's the graphics, but the new one looks pretty af)
> tri-Ace are gameplay **masters** (note the word: game-play) (Oh except Valkyrie Profile which was way more elegant/tasteful with its depiction of death than most games).  
> Tales of the Abyss is probably the best game ever for its combination of plot and character development, maybe not the best in each area, but as a combination, it's bar-none.
> BoFIV > III

Um Ill think of more later
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
-Tales of Symphonia is a nice game that's still worth playing today, but it doesn't deserve the amount of attention it's getting from European Tales-fans. Sure, I get that it was their first and that some players were even RPG virgins back then, but remove those nostalgia goggles already! (Also, Tales of the Abyss is best Tales. This is a fact.)

-Final Fantasy V was a lot of fun (because I love abusing job systems); Final Fantasy IV was kinda meh.

-Bravely Default is the best recent Final Fantasy.

-Secret of Evermore deserves more love. For some reason some people still hate that game because it isn't Seiken Densetsu III. These people are dumb.

-Bulbasaur is best starter. Let's be honest, it'll give you a major type advantage against the first few gymleaders, when the rest of your party is basically still bugs, birds, rats and rocks.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
I don't think having some japanese high school/urban setting in a JRPG is a great innovation, just because Persona games happen to be JRPGs. I watch a lot of anime so I just can't bring myself to see it that way at all.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
I'm not going to say *all* of my unpopular game opinions, because some of them I am 100% sure will get me kicked off staff, hahahaha.  But with that said...

Kingdom Hearts is completely incomprehensible to me.  I've only played parts of the first two, but didn't like either of them.  I really, REALLY hesitate to try any of them since my initial experience with the "good" ones was so wack. 

Metal Gear is the most overrated series of all time.  Metal Gear Solid isn't a good action game or a good stealth game.  The best parts about Metal Gear are when the writers deliberately troll the player (i.e. Raiden in MGS2, Mantis in MGS1), but the gameplay and story are both subpar. 

Tales of Symphonia is an average JRPG that is only beloved because the GameCube is completely devoid of good RPGs other than Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario (I don't count Zelda as an RPG, for the record).  Symphonia isn't even one of the five best games in its own series. 

The N64 is a weak gaming system with only five or six good titles on it.  The PlayStation's library is so much better that it's practically an embarrassment. 

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is an okay Zelda game at best.  Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds, Link's Awakening, the two Oracle games, and Skyward Sword are all better than Ocarina.  I haven't played Majora's Mask or Spirit Tracks, so I can't fairly judge those two. 

Ape Escape is a better platformer than Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, or Donkey Kong 64.  The only PS1/N64 platformer that is on par with Ape Escape is Super Mario 64, which is a great game that had a justifiable impact.  I know I come across as anti-N64 sometimes, but I can't hate on Mario 64. 

I love Mega Man, but there hasn't been a good Mega Man game made since 1997. 

Persona 4 is awesome.  Persona 3 is nearly as awesome as Persona 4.  The Persona 2 games are very good, but a little hamstrung by their old, weird negotiation and card collection mechanics; I still enjoyed them.  Persona 1 is a tire fire of an RPG and one of my least-favorite PS1 games.  Don't play Persona 1.  Read some wiki articles or the manga instead. 

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »
I HATE EVERYTHING.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
- I truly enjoy Level-5 JRPGs. Some of my favorite titles.

- Blizzard's release schedule is inexcusable. And I've been losing respect for them as a company for the last decade. (That doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of their new releases still, they just disappoint me as a company)

- The first half of Bravely Default does not redeem the absolute garbage that is the second half.

- Lightning Returns is by far the weakest entry in the FFXIII trilogy.

- The PS Vita is a much better system than the 3DS (library notwithstanding)

- Agreed with the chap about FF4, do not understand the popularity. Is it even that popular or does Square Enix just constantly shove it in our faces for the fun of it?

- The Mana series is kind of awful. The plots are super simple stories turned into convoluted nonsense and the game play is above average at best.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
Persona suxs and I'm pissed as hell that they're making Performa Emblem instead of doing literally anything else as a crossover (Super Mario Maker is a better crossover by default).

I also don't care for the current direction of the FE series since Awakening due to it turning more into Waifu Emblem. Granted, I didn't mind the way FE4 handled the generational gameplay, but that's because it wasn't screwing around with stupid shit like time travel or hyperbolic time chambers.

VNs can also go pound sand. How many endless variations of 'player stand-in goes to Japanese Anime Highschool and waifus a bunch of broken cunts in need of fixing/plugging' can a small chunk of humanity crank out in the space of 20+ years?

Any game with an overwhelming color pallet that looks like shit, is probably shit.

FFX has almost no goddamn enemy variety. Just the same ol' speedy dog, airborne bird/bat/whatever, armored shell guy, flan and the occasional fish, plus the odd FF regular sprinkled in for good measure.

Tales of Games are made of the worst parts of anime.

The SRW series hasn't had a good game since Z1.

Imageepoch games are uniformly bad (oh wait, that's not an opinion, that's a goddamn fact).

Level-5 sucks, and are bad, and write poopie games, filled with dumb grinding, and are only barely charming enough to get away with it (this is also not an opinion, but real truths).

Squeenix still sucks, but instead of just running roughshod over their IPs while trying to pretend that they're some kind of AAA developer, they're just sitting back and cashing in on all that gaming nostalgia from when they didn't completely suck.

Suikoden 3 was a good sequel (with issues admittedly, but as a sequel it pays out better than say FE10 did for FE9 or pretty much any Mana game ever made).

2D Zelda is vastly superior to 3D Zelda.

And the rest of this thread either agrees with me or are bad and wrong and should feel bad.
Code: [Select]
:P
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
Oh also Battle Garegga is a euroshmup.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`