Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »
I love Mega Man, but there hasn't been a good Mega Man game made since 1997.

Mega Man X3
Release date(s): December 1, 1995

I'm OK with this.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »
I love Mega Man, but there hasn't been a good Mega Man game made since 1997.

Mega Man X3
Release date(s): December 1, 1995

I'm OK with this.

I feel that Legends came out in 1998. Either way though, I feel that Zeros 2 & 3 were also good games and thus you are wrong Monsoon.

Fake Edit: Says Dec 97 in JP-land so I guess that base was covered.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
On POPULAR games? Hmmm...

idk. I got nothing. Except maybe that FFX-2 is a super-fun game because job systems are hard to mess up. ie -- fun job system is fun. Switching in-battle is fun. Fast pace is fun.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »
Persona suxs and I'm pissed as hell that they're making Performa Emblem instead of doing literally anything else as a crossover (Super Mario Maker is a better crossover by default).

I also don't care for the current direction of the FE series since Awakening due to it turning more into Waifu Emblem. Granted, I didn't mind the way FE4 handled the generational gameplay, but that's because it wasn't screwing around with stupid shit like time travel or hyperbolic time chambers.

VNs can also go pound sand. How many endless variations of 'player stand-in goes to Japanese Anime Highschool and waifus a bunch of broken cunts in need of fixing/plugging' can a small chunk of humanity crank out in the space of 20+ years?

Any game with an overwhelming color pallet that looks like shit, is probably shit.

FFX has almost no goddamn enemy variety. Just the same ol' speedy dog, airborne bird/bat/whatever, armored shell guy, flan and the occasional fish, plus the odd FF regular sprinkled in for good measure.

Tales of Games are made of the worst parts of anime.

The SRW series hasn't had a good game since Z1.

Imageepoch games are uniformly bad (oh wait, that's not an opinion, that's a goddamn fact).

Level-5 sucks, and are bad, and write poopie games, filled with dumb grinding, and are only barely charming enough to get away with it (this is also not an opinion, but real truths).

Squeenix still sucks, but instead of just running roughshod over their IPs while trying to pretend that they're some kind of AAA developer, they're just sitting back and cashing in on all that gaming nostalgia from when they didn't completely suck.

Suikoden 3 was a good sequel (with issues admittedly, but as a sequel it pays out better than say FE10 did for FE9 or pretty much any Mana game ever made).

2D Zelda is vastly superior to 3D Zelda.

And the rest of this thread either agrees with me or are bad and wrong and should feel bad.
Code: [Select]
:P

I don't fully 100% "back these up", but... I don't think they're that wrong either.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:03:54 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
....I did not care for "The Godfather".

TASTY!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 01:43:05 AM »
The entire souls series (and Bloodborne) feel janky and are downright un-fun to play.

I've never played a compelling Dragon Quest game. They all seem extremely generic and bland. While I'm at it, whenever I see Akira Toriyama-designed characters in a game, it's an almost immediate turn off. (I love DBZ to death though)

Final Fantasy VI was a good game but it'll never be anywhere near the best FF in the series. (Full disclosure, I didn't play this game all the way through until I was ~20 so I'm missing the nostalgia factor)

Lost Odyssey will always be my Final Fantasy XII (or maybe XIII because I don't know which of those I dislike more).

This one is more of a conspiracy theory than an opinion, but I think Drakengard 3's shittty gameplay and slowdown was intentional.

Nintendo IPs in general bore the crap out of me, with the notable exception of Kirby, who is adorable and will always be my favorite.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Metal Gear is the most overrated series of all time.  Metal Gear Solid isn't a good action game or a good stealth game.  The best parts about Metal Gear are when the writers deliberately troll the player (i.e. Raiden in MGS2, Mantis in MGS1), but the gameplay and story are both subpar.

The entire souls series (and Bloodborne) feel janky and are downright un-fun to play.

We can't all have good taste I guess.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »
Persona 4 is one of the most cheesy and annoying RPGs ever made and a discredit to both parts of P2 and P3.  It feels like a "family friendly" version of SMT and that cuts a hole in me that goes straight to the core.

Came here to say this and it's nice to see I'm not the only one. Most accessible entry doesn't mean best; the endless franchising, merchandising and product tie-ins isn't helping, either.

I don't have a lot of time for the P4 extended universe, but don't the offshoot games bring back the murderous molester villain as a sort of misunderstood hero character?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:51:09 AM by Towns Car Marty »

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:56 AM »
On POPULAR games? Hmmm...

idk. I got nothing. Except maybe that FFX-2 is a super-fun game because job systems are hard to mess up. ie -- fun job system is fun. Switching in-battle is fun. Fast pace is fun.

I enjoyed X-2, myself.  Sure it's not a paragon of excellence but some things stuck with me.  LeBlanc was delightfully over the top.  Beclem is still one of the douchiest assholes I've met in a JRPG.  And I thought the music was great.  That funky (in a good way) battle theme is still stuck in my head:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fErjzgGRrDA

One theme I liked in X-2 was that of rebuilding/reconstruction, because that process is always filled with uncertainty.  In FFX where you break open the truth about Yevon to the people, many like Wakka still cling to their shattered faith.  FFX-2 has a New Yevon faction and the opposing Youth League.  New Yevon is proof that many in Spira could not have faith in a non-religious world.  By contrast, there's that one guy Beclem who's hardcore atheist and harshly admonishes the Besaid Aurochs for doing "ancient meaningless traditions" such as praying.  There's also Dona and Barthello.  They were tighter than teeth and gums in FFX, but when she joined the Youth League and he joined New Yevon, it wasn't pretty.  Interesting that no matter how close you are, where you place your faith can tear even the closest people apart.

Bottom line, the FFX/X-2 saga has some solid thematic elements, but execution was not always consistent.

As for unpopular opinions in popular games, here's one of my more obscure ones (how's that for an oxymoron?)  In the popular (in Japan) Memories Off game (which I enjoyed), the fan favorite character is Shion Futami.  Shion is the "alluring mysterious girl who's aloof" type and while I see that archetype's appeal (and said archetype did appeal to me at one point), I wasn't feeling her and her storyline at all.  I enjoyed Minamo's and Koyomi's stories best, and they also had the best theme musics. 

And with Memories Off: 2nd, a lot of folks hated the fact that the lion's share of the game was based on breaking up with your current girlfriend since the genre is all about building relationships than tearing them down.  I thought it was a refreshing change of pace from other love adventures.  After all, EVERY relationship hits those rocky junctures of "should I stay or should I go?"  And when I'd pursue other girls' storylines, I enjoyed seeing the different ways the ex would react throughout.  And I went for bad endings with everyone because the break-up scenes were the best.  And, again, a lot of folks greatly disliked that about Memories Off: 2nd, yet it's what I thought made the game really good. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 07:33:16 AM »
The skill system and gameplay in Diablo 3 vastly beat the prior entries. Sorry, but preparing a good build in D2 is obnoxious, time-consuming and antithesis of fun. Also even D2 didn't live up to the authencity and feel of the lore. D1 still did that the best. Also the entire franchise is mediocre among lootfests to begin with.

I don't think Bethesda has significantly improved the combat in TES-series. You now hit the enemy no matter what, but if it doesn't actually do anything then what's the difference? Actually it has become even worse. A constant uphill battle, where a f*cking bear, a common enemy since the beginning of the game, becomes a formidable meattank taking 20 hits to kill even though you leveled up 30 times. What kind of RPG-logic is this?

FF IX... I do think this is a fairly playable game with some nice aesthetics, but imo it doesn't feel anything like the less than 32-bit FF games. Instead it feels like those weird furry spinoffs like Chrystal Chronicles.

Anything other than regular battles in Suikoden II blows HARD. SaGa Frontier 2 did everything it attempted a lot better.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:40:59 AM by mecharobot »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 08:04:51 AM »
This is a little too negative for my tastes, so I'm not gonna join in on my opinions of games that are popular for reasons I don't understand. I just had a little thought while scrolling through Aeolus's comment and felt like sharing it.

Regarding the enemy variety in FFX, I agree you see the same enemy repeatedly, but I think it's an interesting subject regarding game design and clarity through design choices.

Most RPGs do it to some extent, if the enemy is red they usually absorb fire and are weak to water/ice (Does not apply to SMT), but almost every enemy in FFX has a clear weakness and you can understand that weakness just through looking at it and taking the appropriate action. If it's a bee or a small bird, let Wakka throw a ball at it, if it's a flan or an elemental let Lulu throw magic at it, if it's scaly or has a shell, let Auron hit it. If it's fucking huge let Yuna summon an Aeon. You get that rundown at Besaid at the start of the game and it remains true for the entire thing, and it's kinda cool in my opinion. How many enemies in FF7,8,9 etc actually felt like they HAD weaknesses at all? Most random encounters took roughly the same damage from all sources apart from some exceptions.

Not important, just thought I would share a little thought - continue. :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »
Ok, now a real post here.

Dark souls is overrated shit for hipster gamers who think beating a game by dying repeatedly says something about skill level. News flash, developing a strategy by repeatedly failing isn't skill, it's intelligence. It's common to fail continuously until you finally get it right. They did that 25 years ago with megaman and it's terribly difficult jump puzzles and pattern-dependant boss fights, only difference being you never got stronger or faster, you just learned from your mistakes and gained a new weapon when you finally won. People give me crap for "being bad" in dark souls, but I'm not fuckdumb enough to sit there and die for an hour to finally figure out how to cheese a strategy out for a boss. At least in games like dragon's dogma and even devil may cry or god of war you can adapt to bullshit and succeed even in harder difficulties. Playing a game for the sake of it being super hard isn't fun, it's the equivalent of playing tag but not allowing yourself the use of your left hand...what the fuck is the point of it? If you get good at it, awesome and good for you, but it won't make you better in another game later or probably even in the next dark souls. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a challenge. Beating a game while on the edge of my seat using every bit of skill I picked up from playing the rest of the game to clear that last boss fight or final challenge is always great, but dying 10-20 times first just voids any greatness I could have achieved personally since I saw everything the boss could do 50 times over and finally figured out the perfect dodge point or counter method to defeat the attacks. God it's so fucking annoying to even think about, and even worse when people flash their victory as a badge of honor. Good for you, you beat a game that is considered super fucking hard by learning from your mistakes and adapting strategy. What's that? I'm a pleb because I haven't yet? FUCK YOU COME SEE ME IN MEGAMAN 2 MOTHER FUCKER.

I really hate dark souls.

TASTY!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
There is joy in beating a boss in Dark Souls on the first try.

... and FFIX sucks.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
There is joy in beating a boss in Dark Souls on the first try
This I will give to you, but how many times has it REALLY happened without watching a video or strategy guide?

I think I hate the series just because of the fanbase.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
-Final Fantasy V was a lot of fun (because I love abusing job systems); Final Fantasy IV was kinda meh.
Truth.

More from me (inspired by the above comments):
- POSITIVE: Final Fantasy X-2 is one of the best JRPGs ever made in the history of the world.  NEGATIVE: Its plot exposition is ridiculous.
- NEGATIVE: Final Fantasy IX has the worst battle system in the franchise (excluding the first 3 games).  POSITIVE: Everything else about FFIX (sans the secondary cast).
- NEGATIVE: The Shin Megami Tensei series is the most pretentious pile of festering self-obsession in the JRPG market.  Guess what guys? You're pretty much playing Pokemon. Don't pretend it's cool just because it's occult.  Leave that attitude behind when you turn 20, please.  POSITIVE: The Persona series has some seriously great character building and design.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons