Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: Unpopular Opinions on Popular Games
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Welp this has quickly escalated from voicing unpopular opinions to insulting people who play games you don't like.

Video games, ladies and gents.

(let's try and keep things civil, please)

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
-Final Fantasy V was a lot of fun (because I love abusing job systems); Final Fantasy IV was kinda meh.
Truth.

More from me (inspired by the above comments):
- POSITIVE: Final Fantasy X-2 is one of the best JRPGs ever made in the history of the world.  NEGATIVE: Its plot exposition is ridiculous.
- NEGATIVE: Final Fantasy IX has the worst battle system in the franchise (excluding the first 3 games).  POSITIVE: Everything else about FFIX (sans the secondary cast).
- NEGATIVE: The Shin Megami Tensei series is the most pretentious pile of festering self-obsession in the JRPG market.  Guess what guys? You're pretty much playing Pokemon. Don't pretend it's cool just because it's occult.  Leave that attitude behind when you turn 20, please.  POSITIVE: The Persona series has some seriously great character building and design.

Too mean

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
Oh these kinds of threads have massive potential to escalate quickly.  Over the years, pet peeve threads have gotten heated as well, simply because we're all voicing our thoughts based on strong emotion.  So it's going to get heated, but I'm confident that the RPGFan community can have heated debates and still hug it out and clink glasses at the end of the day and say "good times!"  

I've gotten my share of hatemail for articles I've written.  

Outside of games, I share a LOT of unpopular opinions with music.  The following opinions would have me crucified in most musical circles.  

I'm a bassist and everyone thinks that because I'm a bassist I should worship at the altar of the late Cliff Burton (Metallica.)  Sorry, but I don't.  When it comes to Cliff Burton (1980s Metallica) and Dave Ellefson (1980s Megadeth), I think Dave Ellefson is the better bassist.  I do think Cliff is the superior *musician,* but he's really a lead guitarist playing bass.  Ellefson, on the other hand, is a bassist's bassist.  

I feel the same way about Jason Newsted.  I think he's an excellent bassist and was NOT given enough credit because fanboys fellate Cliff like vacuum cleaners.  No, Jason Newsted is not a "lead" bassist, but he's a very skilled, tightly grooving "bassist's bassist."  Cliff was a better musician than Jason, but I think Jason was the better bassist.  Jason Newsted leaving Metallica was the best decision he ever made.  His time in Metallica was like an abusive "I hate you, don't leave me" relationship.

And when it comes to Van Halen, I favor Van Hagar over Van Roth any day.  Sure, Roth was the better showman, but he just talked his way through all the songs.  Hagar could actually sing, play guitar, and was truly talented.  Oh, and I don't think Eddie Van Halen is the guitar god everyone claims he is.  He's sloppy compared to the likes of Joe Satriani and (especially) Eric Johnson who not only have superior chops, but can play consistently play insanely difficult lines super cleanly.  

Best guitarist alive right now is Prince.  That dude is a genius virtuoso on, like, every instrument.  And, again, his technique is so clean, so perfect, so consistent... forget guitar, that dude's the best MUSICIAN alive right now.  
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »
It's not worth taking a hardline stance on it right now, but I'm keeping my eye on this thread.

Let's all remember having an unpopular opinion doesn't give you the right to call people who share the popular opinion dumb/childish etc.

I mean, a little bit of my soul dies every time you guys call FFIX bad, but I don't get salty about it.

I just hover my mouse over the "Ban this user" button for a few seconds until the feeling passes.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
-Final Fantasy V was a lot of fun (because I love abusing job systems); Final Fantasy IV was kinda meh.
Truth.

More from me (inspired by the above comments):
- POSITIVE: Final Fantasy X-2 is one of the best JRPGs ever made in the history of the world.  NEGATIVE: Its plot exposition is ridiculous.
- NEGATIVE: Final Fantasy IX has the worst battle system in the franchise (excluding the first 3 games).  POSITIVE: Everything else about FFIX (sans the secondary cast).
- NEGATIVE: The Shin Megami Tensei series is the most pretentious pile of festering self-obsession in the JRPG market.  Guess what guys? You're pretty much playing Pokemon. Don't pretend it's cool just because it's occult.  Leave that attitude behind when you turn 20, please.  POSITIVE: The Persona series has some seriously great character building and design.

Too mean
lulz

He's sloppy compared to the likes of Joe Satriani and (especially) Eric Johnson who not only have superior chops, but can play consistently play insanely difficult lines super cleanly. 
Eric Johnson is pretty dang amazing.  If he's doing the guitar, you don't even need vocals.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 12:02:55 PM »
He's sloppy compared to the likes of Joe Satriani and (especially) Eric Johnson who not only have superior chops, but can play consistently play insanely difficult lines super cleanly. 
Eric Johnson is pretty dang amazing.  If he's doing the guitar, you don't even need vocals.

Unless he decides to sing too, because he has a really nice singing voice.  It has a unique character to it.  I could listen to a whole bunch of singers and be able to pick out Johnson's voice instantly. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
There is joy in beating a boss in Dark Souls on the first try
This I will give to you, but how many times has it REALLY happened without watching a video or strategy guide?

Ignoring Ceaseless Discharge because I had heard you could drop him.

Chaos Witch Quelaag
Crossbreed Priscilla
Pinwheel
Centipede Demon
Four Kings

I think I hate the series just because of the fanbase.

The game is a bit overrated but it still remains a great game.
It's pretty much as you said; it's Megaman. You learn everything on the spot and if you fail to adapt, you die.
Although Dark Soul fans would probably say that Megaman is the Dark Souls of Side-scrolling action platformers ;)

I mean, a little bit of my soul dies every time you guys call FFIX bad, but I don't get salty about it.

If I am to expand on my "FFIX sucks" it would be that the battle system is slow, the plot is slow, the loading is slow, everything in this game is way too slow. It just enrages me.
Maybe I should try and play it on an emulator at double framerate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:09:48 PM by Annubis »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
The game is a bit overrated but it still remains a great game.
You can honestly say that about a very very large chunk of popular franchises.  It's weird how we let other people's opinions about things shape our own.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 03:26:41 PM »
I just wanna point out that my opinion was by no means formed based on anything in regards to this website and message board. All my swearing and negativity is entirely based on real life experiences with people and the game or in other communal discussion groups. Anything I said that sounded like I was calling out anyone here is definitely being misread, as I have no hate for anyone here...maybe glassjawsh sometimes but only cuz he's as bullheaded as I am which I kinda respect. If my post is too graphic or pissing anyone off, I can clean it up, I was just dealing with AM rage while writing it.

Quick edit cuz double posting is terribad:
Just to bring Goosey's sould back from the brink, I love IX. Great music, great gameplay, Steiner is awesomely amazing in battle and hilarious in story as is Vivi, and Zidane is the most passive and laid back hero ever which I trully love.

....my only gripe is FUCK THOSE BATTLE START UPS TAKE FOREVER.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:31:54 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »
I love FFIX to death, but I concede that the battle system can be painfully, almost unbearably slow. I believe the story and environments make up for it though.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
And therein lies a subtopic- either not liking something, or "closet liking" something because of an insufferable fanbase.  There are plenty of things I like but am hesitant to admit to liking because I don't want to be labeled as "Oh, you're one of them."  That's not fair.  

I'm sure I've recycled that topic several times over the years.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:03:45 PM by Dincrest »
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »
Welp this has quickly escalated from voicing unpopular opinions to insulting people who play games you don't like.

Video games, ladies and gents.

(let's try and keep things civil, please)

Trap sprung, I guess.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
And therein lies a subtopic- either not liking something, or "closet liking" something because of an insufferable fanbase.  There are plenty of things I like but am hesitant to admit to liking because I don't want to be labeled as "Oh, you're one of them."  That's not fair.  

I'm sure I've recycled that topic several times over the years.  

We all know you play those boobie games, Neal. Everyone knows, it's okay - we love you anyway.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »
I can't tell if we've had this topic before and went down pretty much the same way, or I'm having deja Vu...or I had a vision of this topic the last time I made a Gundam model. Either way, we are in uncomfortably familiar territory. I think it's time we chillout and build mdels (and I'm all out of models).

OT: Um.....I don't care for the gameplay structures in Persona 3 and Atelier Rorona, especially their time management-reliant systems. I still greatly enjoy P3, but that's more in spite of the daily school stuff, the randomly generated dungeons with invisible time limits in the form of characters getting exhausted after a while, and perhaps even the social links to a degree. It still has a great story, a fantastic cast, and some interesting atmosphere, and I love the battle system (even in FES where you can't control everybody), I just wish progressing didn't feel so much like a chore.

As for Rorona, I might've been able to put up with the gameplay if the story and characters had a greater sense of urgency and conflict. It felt too...easy-going, despite obvious time limit. That's why I enjoyed the PS2 Atelier games more - the characters had goals, and I felt like the game made it clear that those goals were important, at least in the context of the story, if not the gameplay.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »
Man, what did I miss here? I know it can't be my post, youbguys are used to my sailor swearing ways by now.

I always miss the good fights :(

TASTY!