Author Topic: Any Anamanaguchi fans out here?

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
  • Your mother and I think you should leave.
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
Any Anamanaguchi fans out here?
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
I've always been a big chip fan, but what I like about these guys more than some of the more electronic/ambient chip bands is that they're guitar heavy, inspired by bands like Weezer and the Beach Boys, just like all the Mega Man composers were listening to rock bands. The best Anamanaguchi songs are when the guitars are super present -and- it sounds like it could actually be from an NES sidescroller :)
It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Anamanaguchi fans out here?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
MERMAID!!

I'm a fan. I didn't love their newest album (just thought it was pretty good), but Mermaid is one of my all-time favorites songs.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:36:58 PM »
I've seen them 3 times.  They are my cheeseball bubble gum fluff sanctuary in a sea of angry punk and prog bands that litter my iTunes.

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »
I hope they sign on to do some other game someday. That Scott Pilgrim soundtrack was pretty tight.
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
I hope they sign on to do some other game someday. That Scott Pilgrim soundtrack was pretty tight.

It helped that SPvsTW is a perfect homage to Crash n' the Boyz/River City Ransom style beat em ups.

also here is Densmore aka my favorite song by them.
https://youtu.be/_ezMsH4l8CM

Nilson

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • nilson.itch.io
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
Densmore is so good - I think my favorite may be Airbrushed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SA5uJhRfs)

I didn't care much for the newest album, either, when it first came out, but seeing it live solidified it a bit for me. Some of the songs are a bit too **BASS** heavy, but there are some great tracks - I think Meow is great, though I initially thought the meows kinda ruined it. In the Basement is a cool Weezer tribute.

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »
Anamanaguchi is hecka rad.

I agree with Stephen that Mermaid's pretty tight. Dawn Metropolis has some really great core tracks, with Jetpack Blues, Sunset Hues easily being my favourite track for a long time. Afterwards, with Power Supply, I found it was more of the same, though none really stuck with me like DM did. Still, it was more of the same, which is mostly a good thing.
With Endless Fantasy, I really dig that they innovated a bit. It also makes for a fantastic live set. You can really groove to that music. It shows the band can mature, change up their flavour while still maintaining their chippy roots. The titular track, Endless Fantasy is now my new fave. That song just makes me want to grab my partner by the hand take on the world in a way no one can stop.
Seeing them life was definitely one of the highlights of my days and their music just fills you with unbridled joyousness. They also seem like pretty rad doods.
I am always grateful I was recommended in their direction, as they just make good music and exposed me to the chiptune universe. It's impressive the depth of emotion and scope they can capture with the medium, which honestly should be unsurprising to me considering how masters like Uematsu were doing it on the NES and such back in the day.
Also, this:
It helped that SPvsTW is a perfect homage to Crash n' the Boyz/River City Ransom style beat em ups.
Yes. Very yes.
Just Greg, thanks.