Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 12:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337826 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ps3 Rpg outlook?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ps3 Rpg outlook?  (Read 3828 times)
Gourry25

Gourrygab21
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »

Been a while since I have posted, but I am wondering what you think the outlook is for the PS3 Rpgs. do you think there will be jsut as many as the PS2 and Ps1? or less. Also will we see more anime based games that we have not seen like Disgea? I am curious if anyone knows anything. Also has anyone abandoned hope for the Ps3 already? I am curious cause i know some friends who abandoned the PS2 and regreted it after some good rpgs came out.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »

I'll buy a PS3 when the price is something a human being can afford.

Until then I don't care, nor do I look up news on any game on the system.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:29:39 PM »

It's hard to say. I say there will be a lot of RPG's for it, but don't look for any quality RPG's for at least a year. If you remember back when the PlayStation came out, the dudes at Sony said the system would NEVER have an RPG. They wanted to do this to distance themselves from the made-for-RPG's SNES. Well, we all know how that promise to not have any RPG's turned out for the PS...
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 10:34:07 PM »

They're coming, but not as soon as I'd like. For now, I'll be playing Resistance: Fall of Man.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:52:44 PM »

The XBox 360 is the best system for Japanese RPGs.

And I'm not entirely joking with that sentence either.

Right now, it's really just too early to call for the next-gen systems. Wii looks like it's behind the others, like during the N64 days, but I imagine we'll see some smaller and/or more original ones. So far, we only know about FE and DQS, and neither are traditional RPGs. There will be Disaster: Day of Crisis from Monolith Soft, but not much is known about that yet, very little gameplay has been shown, and it's certainly not an RPG.

For the PS3... There'll be the two FFXIII games, White Knight Story, and a port of Enchanted Arms. There'll surely be others, but they have yet to be announced, or I'm simply overlooking them. Also of those, only the main FFXIII and Enchanted Arms are traditional RPGs.

The XBox 360 will have the two Mistwalker RPGs, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, currently has Enchanted Arms (Which the PS3 is getting a port of, but there's no word on it being localized), and will have Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery from tri-Ace. And all of these are traditional RPGs or close enough: Though outside of that, I can only think of PSU, which isn't really something that should be counted in next-gen conversations.

It's worth factoring in the DS too: after the announcement of DQIX going to the system, it can't be taken lightly, and already has been forming a respectable RPG lineup.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 11:47:48 PM »

I imagine PS3 will be THE system for console style rpgs just like the PS2 was. The Japanese developers aren't going to start making the xbox their favored system as it's not popular in Japan and it's unlikely that they'll go for the wii just because it's been 10 years since nintendo has been a serious competitor.(Outside hand helds that is, where they absolutely dominate.)

I don't like it. Charging people $600 I WANT the PS3 to fail so that I don't need to buy one. But unless microsoft buys SE or nintendo really shows they can compete then the games that I want to play are going to end up being on the PS3.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
So far, we only know about FE and DQS, and neither are traditional RPGs. There will be Disaster: Day of Crisis from Monolith Soft, but not much is known about that yet, very little gameplay has been shown, and it's certainly not an RPG.

Namco Bandai announced Sword of Legendia for Wii sometime ago. It's the sequel to Tales of Legendia, apparently. I'm not too thrilled about it, though. A sequel to a Tales game sounds kinda blah.

The XBox 360 will have the two Mistwalker RPGs

Three, you forgot Cry On. :P

As for the topic, it's still too early to tell. We'll find out just what PS3 has to offer in 2007. IMO, it won't be much, even next year. We may see a handful, but not very much.

I wish the Japanese could accept Xbox 360, so we could see an even better line-up of Japanese RPGs and also non-RPGs. And Wii, well it's rather hit-or-miss for them. They have a high potential at the moment. I'm rooting for them too.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 12:00:21 AM »

The Wii actually sold out on day 1, unlike the GC. On the other hand, the GC launched 3 days after 9/11, so it probably could be attributed to that more than anything else. Given what Sony's doing, there is a very real possibility they'll lose the Market Share they had, even if they're still in the lead, which could result in a better distribution. Japan's typically been stupidly loyal to one system though, while the rest of the world it's not been as extreme.

Also, I realize that the X360 won't remain the best (unless somehow all three consoles die without any new games being announced), but initially it will be... If it isn't already.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 12:35:25 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
So far, we only know about FE and DQS, and neither are traditional RPGs. There will be Disaster: Day of Crisis from Monolith Soft, but not much is known about that yet, very little gameplay has been shown, and it's certainly not an RPG.

Namco Bandai announced Sword of Legendia for Wii sometime ago. It's the sequel to Tales of Legendia, apparently. I'm not too thrilled about it, though. A sequel to a Tales game sounds kinda blah.

The XBox 360 will have the two Mistwalker RPGs

Three, you forgot Cry On. :P

As for the topic, it's still too early to tell. We'll find out just what PS3 has to offer in 2007. IMO, it won't be much, even next year. We may see a handful, but not very much.

I wish the Japanese could accept Xbox 360, so we could see an even better line-up of Japanese RPGs and also non-RPGs. And Wii, well it's rather hit-or-miss for them. They have a high potential at the moment. I'm rooting for them too.

Victor Ireland's (Ex-Working Designs) new company Genjiworks is supposedly going to do nothing but release Jap Style RPG's on the 360. Now, the question is... will there be any to port? If I remember right, Working Designs didn't make thier own games, but just released obsucre Japanese games that looked and played good that no one else would release in the states. So, it's cool that Vic's company is doing that, but is there going to be anything for them to release is the question. I hope so, but the Mistwalker games should be great. I can't wait for Blue Dragon. Fable II is supposedly a lot better and longer than the first, but... good things were said about that first one too.

Anyone know if there's going to be a Shenmue III?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:48:27 AM »

If we're factoring in American games, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect. And those with a loose definition for RPG can throw in Bioshock too.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 02:05:19 AM »

Yeah me too, Eusis. Mass Effect looks interesting. I've read somewhere that it's going to be a trilogy of games.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 03:28:29 AM »

I doubt there will be a Shenmue 3. Shenmue Online for the PC platform is still in the works, but that project has been in constant trouble.

Apart from the DS, PlayStation 3 is probably the safest bet for RPGs, in particular Japanese RPGs in this generation of hardware again. The Xbox 360 is simply noy an option, if you need to rely on sales in Japan (and that is obviously the case with most RPGs). You see, the problem with RPGs on PlayStation 3 at this point in time is this: We are still very early in the system's life cycle, so few companies do announce, yet alone release their RPGs at that point. Look at PlayStation 2: there, the first good RPGs only appeared about 8-9 months after the system was launched in Japan. And only about one year after the launch more high profile stuff appeared (Final Fantasy X, Shadow Hearts). Namco for instance released its first PS2 Tales game, Tales of Destiny 2 only in November 2002.

So far we have seen screenshots or movies of Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Enchanted Arms, Mist of Chaos, and White Knight Story. Two dozen more RPGs have been announced, but obviously they have not been shown to the public yet (besides, some might have been cancelled along the way).
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 06:16:10 AM »

isnt there supposed to be an NIS game coming to ps3 as well? the one Asagi was designed for? i remember reading it was in development for psp then was moved to ps3. Asagi appears in makai kingdom and disgaea 2 and is referred to as the next protagonist.

xbox 360 will probally get buried in japan once devil may cry 4 and ffxiii come out. not sure how mgs games do over there but you can add that too.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 07:03:48 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
isnt there supposed to be an NIS game coming to ps3 as well? the one Asagi was designed for? i remember reading it was in development for psp then was moved to ps3. Asagi appears in makai kingdom and disgaea 2 and is referred to as the next protagonist.

That would be Makai Wars. However as of mid-2006 the game was still in its early development stages, hence no media assets have been shown to the public so far. It remains to be seen, whether they will be able to release it in Japan next year. After all, they just finished working on Soul Cradle (which ships in January) and only in late November announced another PlayStation 2 game in Grim Grimoire. Furthermore, Nippon Ichi Software is a small company with only about 50 employees.
Gourry25

Gourrygab21
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 07:14:28 AM »

Well thanks for your perspective on the possible outcomes of RPGs for the consoles. I still think despite what friends who read certain game magazines I would not touch these days cause of the stuff they do think Sony will lose all its 3rd party support as they say and flop. but I think it will be like the Ps2 and have a well rounded line-up of games for everyone, of course that will be at least 1 year to 2, but I would not count of the Ps3 right away just based on price and stuff like some people have done.

And speaking of magazines, My mom picked up a game magazine: I think is was Gamepro. Well I looked it over and two things made me laugh.

The first thing was the reviewers for th games, one game they were reviewing was the re-release of Yoshi's Island. Two of the three reviewers gave it a 6.5 and the 3rd gave it a 80. then he bashed the other two people saying they were anti-Nintendo.
  The other game review was for .hack\\G.U: Rebirth. the reviews were decent but the three people base their reviews off the 4 .hack games that had been released prior, and honestly the .hack games were not bad, I hear a lot fo people are holding on to them . Thats why i never buy a game based off magazine reviews.

Now the other article was in the rumor mill. It basically said rumor has it Konami is forcing Kojima to port MGS4 to the 360. I laughed and said to my brother it better not be true at all, and not because I think it shoudl still be a Ps3 exclusive, but the fact that Konami is forcing a game creator who came to them, has his own game company and calls the shots, not to mention he stated in an interview MGS2 was supposed to be the last MGS but Konami begged him to make more. so if anyone can comment on that rumor please do. I think its a load of bull.

Finally what the hell is going on with Grandia 3 and .Hack\\G.U: Rebirth. My mom comes home from her night work at Toys R Us and tells me both are on clearance  for a little over $10. These games are pretty new still, what the hell has happened?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: